HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fix the PP!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2008, 11:56 PM
  #1
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Fix the PP!

Since all the freaking threads are about players sucking, Habs sucking, or frustration. I had this idea to start a thread about an important subject to discuss, but also interesting to talk about.

Okay, you all know it. Our PP has been our bread and butter in the last two seasons, but this year it's broken. According to our coach it's just a question of luck, but honestly there's way more than that.

I'd like to hear your ideas to solve this problem, because it is supposed to be our force, and our speed allows us to generate the penalties which can create those chances.

Kovalev is not the only problem here.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:59 PM
  #2
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Put Andrei Kostitsyn on the first unit and take Higgins off is a start...

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
  #3
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Put Andrei Kostitsyn on the first unit and take Higgins off is a start...
Higgins is on the 2nd wave, Lang is on the first. Andrei should be on the Point, or at least on the first wave that's for sure.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
  #4
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Get shots from the point with a big body in front....screw all the fancy passes, for now.

Get SK to shoot more, pass less.

and tell Kovalev no more PP time until he starts producing.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
  #5
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Higgins is on the 2nd wave, Lang is on the first. Andrei should be on the Point, or at least on the first wave that's for sure.
Higgins was on the first wave in the third period today with Kovalev for some reason even though he was playing just terrible.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:07 AM
  #6
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
-Put AKost at the shooting position.
-Put Markov back to his passing position.
-SKost instead of Kovy

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:15 AM
  #7
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Andrei doesn't always make the safe play and is sometimes overly crafty which will lead to an ugly giveaway, much like Kovalev, so don't get your hopes up on Carbo using him at the point. Even though to me his skill set is a perfect match to be on the right point. His shot power, puck skills, and passing ability could be the answer to our problems but looks like we'll never find out.


Last edited by Ross MacLochness: 11-23-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
  #8
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Shoot the damn puck.

And get Higgins off the PP.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:35 AM
  #9
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Higgins was on the first wave in the third period today with Kovalev for some reason even though he was playing just terrible.
Higgins wasn't terrible. Invisible, I'll concur, but not terrible, what the hell.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:55 AM
  #10
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Higgins wasn't terrible. Invisible, I'll concur, but not terrible, what the hell.
He was playing terribly compared to what he's actually capable of. When Higgins is on his game he is very noticeable out there by creating scoring opportunities from cycling the puck down low and many other things. It is pretty evident playing with Kovalev isn't help his cause and they don't have any chemistry together so it was pretty stupid having them together on the PP near the end of the game.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:02 AM
  #11
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
He was playing terribly compared to what he's actually capable of. When Higgins is on his game he is very noticeable out there by creating scoring opportunities from cycling the puck down low and many other things. It is pretty evident playing with Kovalev isn't help his cause and they don't have any chemistry together so it was pretty stupid having them together on the PP near the end of the game.

The Problem is, it happens once every 15 games... Don't get you're hopes too high... Higgins is a border line 2nd/3rd liner. The guy won't win you anything. People laughed at me when I said that Higgins would enter a huge slump after his famous hat trick... well I guess that I'm not that crazy huh... If only we can trade him for a top 4 defencemen. Call Matt D'AGostini who's on fire in the AHL, he can't be any worst than Mister invsible/Stone Hands Higgins.



Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:54 AM
  #12
superstar436
Registered User
 
superstar436's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Andrei doesn't always make the safe play and is sometimes overly crafty which will lead to an ugly giveaway, much like Kovalev, so don't get your hopes up on Carbo using him at the point. Even though to me his skill set is a perfect match to be on the right point. His shot power, puck skills, and passing ability could be the answer to our problems but looks like we'll never find out.
the main reason he is not playing at the Point it is because of the he most probably does not skate well backwards. I mean I just can't believe that carbo and his crew did not thhink about it yet. They did, but found a big defensive risk to him playing there. Also, he is not the best defensive player. at this stage, we have to take the risk coz our pp is simply terrible.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:13 AM
  #13
Magic33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
I was at the game last night, and what I noticed was that there wasn't much movement from the players. Nobody was creating anything. Pass to the point, back to kovalev, down low, back to kovalev, pass to the point. All this except everyone is standing in the same position. A good PP has player movement, someone in front of the net and shots, shots, shots.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:26 AM
  #14
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
The Problem is, it happens once every 15 games... Don't get you're hopes too high... Higgins is a border line 2nd/3rd liner. The guy won't win you anything. People laughed at me when I said that Higgins would enter a huge slump after his famous hat trick... well I guess that I'm not that crazy huh... If only we can trade him for a top 4 defencemen. Call Matt D'AGostini who's on fire in the AHL, he can't be any worst than Mister invsible/Stone Hands Higgins.


Yes he can. Higgins is a fine top-6 player while I have doubts that D'Agostini is a future nhler.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:06 PM
  #15
LastRide
Registered User
 
LastRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
Sure our powerplay needs to be better and will win you a few games. Winning games on powerplays alone is asking for trouble. This team still needs to score even strength if they are going to go anywhere.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:01 PM
  #16
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Kovalev's doing too much and the other guys are doing too little - the guys on the point are usually trying to find Kovalev, who dances around a bit, and then goes nowhere. Carbonneau should tell the guys to focus on one-timers, actually taking shots and getting the puck to the net, the creativity is great when it works, but against some teams you gotta be basic. Case in point last night/

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:24 PM
  #17
airlouche
Registered User
 
airlouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 768
vCash: 500
Ok, i have a question for you, i know it's too late and we cant come back in the past but...

Robert Lang = 4 million
Mark Streit = 4.1 million

Of course i dont gave a %?& when we lost Streit but now that the powerplay dont work well like the last 2 year, i think we seriously lack a Souray or Streit. But the question is

Lang at 4 M or Streit at 4M?

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:11 PM
  #18
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan
 
Marc Bergevins Suit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 246
Bring back Stephane Richer?

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:25 PM
  #19
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Ok, i have a question for you, i know it's too late and we cant come back in the past but...

Robert Lang = 4 million
Mark Streit = 4.1 million

Of course i dont gave a %?& when we lost Streit but now that the powerplay dont work well like the last 2 year, i think we seriously lack a Souray or Streit. But the question is

Lang at 4 M or Streit at 4M?
If they were both on one year contracts it'd be a different story...

We have a lot of important UFA and RFA's that need to be signed after this season and having Streit at $4 million for the next 4 years would hurt our chances of re-signing some of our core guys.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:22 PM
  #20
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I was at the game last night, and what I noticed was that there wasn't much movement from the players. Nobody was creating anything. Pass to the point, back to kovalev, down low, back to kovalev, pass to the point. All this except everyone is standing in the same position. A good PP has player movement, someone in front of the net and shots, shots, shots.
Yes indeed, and you didn't have to be at the game to notice it as well. Adjustments need to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Ok, i have a question for you, i know it's too late and we cant come back in the past but...

Robert Lang = 4 million
Mark Streit = 4.1 million

Of course i dont gave a %?& when we lost Streit but now that the powerplay dont work well like the last 2 year, i think we seriously lack a Souray or Streit. But the question is

Lang at 4 M or Streit at 4M?
Honest to god? None. I'd rather have Chipchura and a cheap top 4 d-man.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
  #21
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Ok, i have a question for you, i know it's too late and we cant come back in the past but...

Robert Lang = 4 million
Mark Streit = 4.1 million

Of course i dont gave a %?& when we lost Streit but now that the powerplay dont work well like the last 2 year, i think we seriously lack a Souray or Streit. But the question is

Lang at 4 M or Streit & an extra second rounder for 4M?
fix'd

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.