HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fix the PP!

Old
11-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Fix the PP!

Since all the freaking threads are about players sucking, Habs sucking, or frustration. I had this idea to start a thread about an important subject to discuss, but also interesting to talk about.

Okay, you all know it. Our PP has been our bread and butter in the last two seasons, but this year it's broken. According to our coach it's just a question of luck, but honestly there's way more than that.

I'd like to hear your ideas to solve this problem, because it is supposed to be our force, and our speed allows us to generate the penalties which can create those chances.

Kovalev is not the only problem here.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:59 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Put Andrei Kostitsyn on the first unit and take Higgins off is a start...

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Put Andrei Kostitsyn on the first unit and take Higgins off is a start...
Higgins is on the 2nd wave, Lang is on the first. Andrei should be on the Point, or at least on the first wave that's for sure.

Old
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Get shots from the point with a big body in front....screw all the fancy passes, for now.

Get SK to shoot more, pass less.

and tell Kovalev no more PP time until he starts producing.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Higgins is on the 2nd wave, Lang is on the first. Andrei should be on the Point, or at least on the first wave that's for sure.
Higgins was on the first wave in the third period today with Kovalev for some reason even though he was playing just terrible.

Old
11-23-2008, 12:07 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

-Put AKost at the shooting position.
-Put Markov back to his passing position.
-SKost instead of Kovy

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Ross MacLochness

Andrei doesn't always make the safe play and is sometimes overly crafty which will lead to an ugly giveaway, much like Kovalev, so don't get your hopes up on Carbo using him at the point. Even though to me his skill set is a perfect match to be on the right point. His shot power, puck skills, and passing ability could be the answer to our problems but looks like we'll never find out.

Last edited by Ross MacLochness: 11-23-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
prairie hab

Shoot the damn puck.

And get Higgins off the PP.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Higgins was on the first wave in the third period today with Kovalev for some reason even though he was playing just terrible.
Higgins wasn't terrible. Invisible, I'll concur, but not terrible, what the hell.

Old
11-23-2008, 12:55 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Higgins wasn't terrible. Invisible, I'll concur, but not terrible, what the hell.
He was playing terribly compared to what he's actually capable of. When Higgins is on his game he is very noticeable out there by creating scoring opportunities from cycling the puck down low and many other things. It is pretty evident playing with Kovalev isn't help his cause and they don't have any chemistry together so it was pretty stupid having them together on the PP near the end of the game.

Old
11-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Erika

Quote:
He was playing terribly compared to what he's actually capable of. When Higgins is on his game he is very noticeable out there by creating scoring opportunities from cycling the puck down low and many other things. It is pretty evident playing with Kovalev isn't help his cause and they don't have any chemistry together so it was pretty stupid having them together on the PP near the end of the game.

The Problem is, it happens once every 15 games... Don't get you're hopes too high... Higgins is a border line 2nd/3rd liner. The guy won't win you anything. People laughed at me when I said that Higgins would enter a huge slump after his famous hat trick... well I guess that I'm not that crazy huh... If only we can trade him for a top 4 defencemen. Call Matt D'AGostini who's on fire in the AHL, he can't be any worst than Mister invsible/Stone Hands Higgins.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:54 AM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Andrei doesn't always make the safe play and is sometimes overly crafty which will lead to an ugly giveaway, much like Kovalev, so don't get your hopes up on Carbo using him at the point. Even though to me his skill set is a perfect match to be on the right point. His shot power, puck skills, and passing ability could be the answer to our problems but looks like we'll never find out.
the main reason he is not playing at the Point it is because of the he most probably does not skate well backwards. I mean I just can't believe that carbo and his crew did not thhink about it yet. They did, but found a big defensive risk to him playing there. Also, he is not the best defensive player. at this stage, we have to take the risk coz our pp is simply terrible.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Magic33

I was at the game last night, and what I noticed was that there wasn't much movement from the players. Nobody was creating anything. Pass to the point, back to kovalev, down low, back to kovalev, pass to the point. All this except everyone is standing in the same position. A good PP has player movement, someone in front of the net and shots, shots, shots.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:26 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
The Problem is, it happens once every 15 games... Don't get you're hopes too high... Higgins is a border line 2nd/3rd liner. The guy won't win you anything. People laughed at me when I said that Higgins would enter a huge slump after his famous hat trick... well I guess that I'm not that crazy huh... If only we can trade him for a top 4 defencemen. Call Matt D'AGostini who's on fire in the AHL, he can't be any worst than Mister invsible/Stone Hands Higgins.

Yes he can. Higgins is a fine top-6 player while I have doubts that D'Agostini is a future nhler.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:06 PM
LastRide

Sure our powerplay needs to be better and will win you a few games. Winning games on powerplays alone is asking for trouble. This team still needs to score even strength if they are going to go anywhere.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:01 PM
smon

Kovalev's doing too much and the other guys are doing too little - the guys on the point are usually trying to find Kovalev, who dances around a bit, and then goes nowhere. Carbonneau should tell the guys to focus on one-timers, actually taking shots and getting the puck to the net, the creativity is great when it works, but against some teams you gotta be basic. Case in point last night/

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:24 PM
airlouche

Ok, i have a question for you, i know it's too late and we cant come back in the past but...

Robert Lang = 4 million
Mark Streit = 4.1 million

Of course i dont gave a %?& when we lost Streit but now that the powerplay dont work well like the last 2 year, i think we seriously lack a Souray or Streit. But the question is

Lang at 4 M or Streit at 4M?

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Bring back Stephane Richer?

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:25 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Ok, i have a question for you, i know it's too late and we cant come back in the past but...

Robert Lang = 4 million

Of course i dont gave a %?& when we lost Streit but now that the powerplay dont work well like the last 2 year, i think we seriously lack a Souray or Streit. But the question is

If they were both on one year contracts it'd be a different story...

We have a lot of important UFA and RFA's that need to be signed after this season and having Streit at $4 million for the next 4 years would hurt our chances of re-signing some of our core guys.

Old
11-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I was at the game last night, and what I noticed was that there wasn't much movement from the players. Nobody was creating anything. Pass to the point, back to kovalev, down low, back to kovalev, pass to the point. All this except everyone is standing in the same position. A good PP has player movement, someone in front of the net and shots, shots, shots.
Yes indeed, and you didn't have to be at the game to notice it as well. Adjustments need to be made.

Quote:

Robert Lang = 4 million

Honest to god? None. I'd rather have Chipchura and a cheap top 4 d-man.

Old
11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Robert Lang = 4 million

Lang at 4 M or Streit & an extra second rounder for 4M?
fix'd

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote