HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Solid effort but Habs lose 3-2 in SO

Old
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
ksargent

vCash: 500
Meh. Amidst a (scoring) slump, the Habs take on the hottest team in the league, play a solid game and tie the game late only to lose the SO on a fluky goal (Wheeler lost the puck). If you forget for a moment that we are talking about the archrival Bruins, this is not a bad result given recent history.

In fact, I think the effort was among the best of the year; keep it up and the goals - and wins - will come. They just need to keep it simple, shoot on net and charge the net, don't worry about the fancy stuff, that will come when they have their confidence back.

Looking forward to Monday.

ksargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
cashman rules*

Really enjoyed roy tonight and the fans giving him his due.Very classy i must say.He is my favourite goaltender of all time and the book is closed on the roy-habs feud now imo.Not gonna get into details about the game or charbo coaching tonight,just gonna relish a bit of patricks history.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Fire Brunet*

Can someone tell me why Carbo doesn't play on the point on the PP? I mean he plays Sergei which is fine, but Andrei has a way better shot...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Even a hater needs to give the Canadiens credit for tying the game back up late in the 3rd quarter.

Certainly this is no particular set back for the Canadiens, which means it really isn't a major victory for the Bruins either. It was just one more installment of the old rivalry.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Namso

Good game.

I liked Laraque out there. Notice how Lucic didnt run the goaltender, or have a scrum after the whistle, or any of that stuff??? He was ****ing scared of Laraque. Sure, he scored a goal, but I felt for the most part he was a total non-factor.

Obyrne is brutal. Half his passes end up icings, he cant control the puck, easily beat one on one, doesnt play physical...he's not good.

Brisebois was suprisingly good tonight. Played decent for a n.6 dman.

Kovalev is just trying too hard, he seems lost.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:08 AM
clutchandgrab

Has it cooled down in here enough for a Bruins fan to attempt a NON-trolling post?

OK, let me try to sum up what I saw. I thought Montreal started off slowly,probably because they were standing there watching a ceremony (which was cool BTW) for an hour and a half or whatever it was. But they started to pick up the play as the game went along.

I thought the Habs played a much better physical game than I've seen form them in ages. They showed that they were willing to make and take hits to make plays. Not sure if that is the best style for long term success for them, but I think it was necessary for sure tonight after their last game with Boston. They answered the call pretty well I think.
Some observations/comments/replies to comments I've seen here:
1) The whole Laraque-Lucic thing was an over blown pointless exercise. Forget that I still don't understand exactly what BGL is supposed to be "Avenging". Carbo putting him on your first line was a win for the Bruins. I just don't understand it. Carbo should be embarrassed for making one player and "revenge" the main theme of the night. Montreal is a team based on speed and skill. Putting Laraque on the first line defeats your style of play.
2)If you're being honest (and got a chance to watch him play more), you'd agree that you wouldn't mind seeing Lucic on your team. He's 20 and is getting better all the time. He won't ever be Cam Neely, scoring 50 goals. But he is a heck of a young player and is probably a year or two from being an All-Star (ok, 2-3 years).
2B)For the record, just as Carbo ordered Laraque to shadow Lucic and try to fight him, Julien ordered Lucic to NOT fight BGL or anyone else. He said so in his post game press conference. Julien 1, Carbo 0.
3) despite all the "Thomas is lucky" talk, and the style bashing, he's been one of the better goalies in the NHL for the last few seasons. Style points don't win games, stopping the puck does.
4)Why was Tanguay not in the SO? He had a great goal the first time they played Boston. Bizzarre.
5)As talented as he is, and he's a freakish talent, Kovalev seems to be reverting to the old "I'll try when I feel like it" Kovalev. He seems to try to get by strictly on skill, when if he combined consistent effort with that skill, he'd be dominant.
6)Montreal carried the play in the third. But honestly, I would have expected nothing less. They were at home against a division rival whom they had just lost to 6-1 a week before. Boston played at home the night before, while the Habs were sitting at home waiting. Also, Andrew Ference is out (for 8 weeks. Matt Hunwick is filling in for him, and scored the 2nd Boston goal) and Marco Sturm was out of the line up. Savard banged up a knee last night, and didn't appear to have much "jump" tonight.
7)Markov missing that open net was a huge break for Boston. But, the puck seemed to be bouncing and those things happen.

Bottom line is it was a good game between two heated rivals. Still plenty of games to go, both against each other and in general. Should be an interesting season.

(ok, let the flaming begin....but I really didn't intend this to sound "trollish")

clutchandgrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:13 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchandgrab View Post
(ok, let the flaming begin....but I really didn't intend this to sound "trollish")

Hey, I don't see the Bs often but are they always as effective with that third guy on an odd-man rush or did our defense just sucked on those?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
H
1) The whole Laraque-Lucic thing was an over blown pointless exercise. Forget that I still don't understand exactly what BGL is supposed to be "Avenging". Carbo putting him on your first line was a win for the Bruins. I just don't understand it. Carbo should be embarrassed for making one player and "revenge" the main theme of the night. Montreal is a team based on speed and skill. Putting Laraque on the first line defeats your style of play.
Carbo having some fun I guess. Wasn't serious hockey, but was pretty amusing and tactically it payed off at th ebeginning because those shifts tilted in the habs favour, the Bs seemed pretty distracted by it.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Delat

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Hey, I don't see the Bs often but are they always as effective with that third guy on an odd-man rush or did our defense just sucked on those?
I think our D sucked on reading those plays. We got caught like 5 times with the same exact play.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:20 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Has it cooled down in here enough for a Bruins fan to attempt a NON-trolling post?

OK, let me try to sum up what I saw. I thought Montreal started off slowly,probably because they were standing there watching a ceremony (which was cool BTW) for an hour and a half or whatever it was. But they started to pick up the play as the game went along.

I thought the Habs played a much better physical game than I've seen form them in ages. They showed that they were willing to make and take hits to make plays. Not sure if that is the best style for long term success for them, but I think it was necessary for sure tonight after their last game with Boston. They answered the call pretty well I think.
Some observations/comments/replies to comments I've seen here:
2)If you're being honest (and got a chance to watch him play more), you'd agree that you wouldn't mind seeing Lucic on your team. He's 20 and is getting better all the time. He won't ever be Cam Neely, scoring 50 goals. But he is a heck of a young player and is probably a year or two from being an All-Star (ok, 2-3 years).
2B)For the record, just as Carbo ordered Laraque to shadow Lucic and try to fight him, Julien ordered Lucic to NOT fight BGL or anyone else. He said so in his post game press conference. Julien 1, Carbo 0.
3) despite all the "Thomas is lucky" talk, and the style bashing, he's been one of the better goalies in the NHL for the last few seasons. Style points don't win games, stopping the puck does.
4)Why was Tanguay not in the SO? He had a great goal the first time they played Boston. Bizzarre.
5)As talented as he is, and he's a freakish talent, Kovalev seems to be reverting to the old "I'll try when I feel like it" Kovalev. He seems to try to get by strictly on skill, when if he combined consistent effort with that skill, he'd be dominant.
6)Montreal carried the play in the third. But honestly, I would have expected nothing less. They were at home against a division rival whom they had just lost to 6-1 a week before. Boston played at home the night before, while the Habs were sitting at home waiting. Also, Andrew Ference is out (for 8 weeks. Matt Hunwick is filling in for him, and scored the 2nd Boston goal) and Marco Sturm was out of the line up. Savard banged up a knee last night, and didn't appear to have much "jump" tonight.
7)Markov missing that open net was a huge break for Boston. But, the puck seemed to be bouncing and those things happen.

Bottom line is it was a good game between two heated rivals. Still plenty of games to go, both against each other and in general. Should be an interesting season.

Considering the only time Lucic did something is when he wasnt shadowed by BGL, it's definitely nto a win for the B's. I even saw at one point during the game (BGL was on the ice next to them) Tomas "I play like a little girl" Plekanec hitting him, that alone is enough to say it was doing the Habs players some good

As far as Julien goes, telling the medias it was he who told him not to fight is OK, but please, saying he's only 20 years old or that he's no goon is basically the same as saying he was being intimidated... come on Claude, something like "I told him not to fight because his hand is hurt" would have been just fine, now you just gave a reason to Carbo/BGL to do it again next time...

Now, go back to your board, you got a few non-trolling lessons to give

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:21 AM
clutchandgrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
A little of both maybe? LOL Julien has sort of loosened the reins on his D this year, encouraging them to jump into the play more often. That is most obvious in the situation you described. The D has been much more active, but generally are picking good times to jump up, and the forwards are doing a good job recognizing it and covering for them etc.
Up front, Boston finally has the speed and skill to make plays in transition, so odd man rushes happen a bit more often this year than they have in the past few.

Old
11-23-2008, 12:29 AM
clutchandgrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Considering the only time Lucic did something is when he wasnt shadowed by BGL, it's definitely nto a win for the B's. I even saw at one point during the game (BGL was on the ice next to them) Tomas "I play like a little girl" Plekanec hitting him, that alone is enough to say it was doing the Habs players some good

As far as Julien goes, telling the medias it was he who told him not to fight is OK, but please, saying he's only 20 years old or that he's no goon is basically the same as saying he was being intimidated... come on Claude, something like "I told him not to fight because his hand is hurt" would have been just fine, now you just gave a reason to Carbo/BGL to do it again next time...

Now, go back to your board, you got a few non-trolling lessons to give
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. If
you honestly think that having Laraque on your first line is your best lineup, then nothing I say will change that. I just think Carbo over reacted to ONE player and hurt his own skill players. Playing with a 2 man top line is a tough way to win (Laraque, in the first period especially, had NO intention of playing hockey. Puck was in his feet, and he didn't even know or care. I doubt Koivu was thrilled to play short handed all night.
As far as some comments I saw about Lucic not doing anything after the whistle etc, remember, the guy who he was involved in 99% of thetime was Komisarek. He's out of the lineup, so Lucic has no personal beef with anyone else. And to say he backs down from bigger tough guys is inaccurate as well. Last year he fought Ivanins, Tarnasky, Erskine among others. He isn't one to decline an invite, especially if it's immediately after a hit etc. I just don't think he, or Julien, see any reason to fight with anyone over what happened 9 days ago. Especially when all it would do is fire up the Bell center and the Habs bench.

Old
11-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Quiet Robert

I really don't understand the logic that says that Julien had the upper hand in terms of the Lucic-Laraque matchup. If Kovalev backchecks properly are there really any positives about Lucic's game tonight?

I fully realize it sounds silly to argue well, if you ignore the goal he scored, Lucic was largely infective but I think it's a valid point (as counter intuitive as it may seem.) If you break it down to Lucic vs. Laraque, and to larger extent Boston's first line vs. Montreal's line w/ Laraque, I don't think there's much to cheer about from a Boston POV.

Lucic's goal occurred for 3 reasons:

1) Bouillon was caught pinching too deep
2) O'Byrne got beat by nice deke on Kessel's part
3) Kovalev's pathetic backchecking left Lucic alone to collect the pass.

As far as "Lucic is in Carbo/Habs head..." next tell me what colour the sky is...Really a physical beast capable of creating offence, wreaking havoc and playing 15:00+ minutes a night should be ignored? Carbo would be much smarter not gameplan for "Moses"...(Case in point as to Lucic's effectiveness tonight, did he really "part the sea" tonight like he did last game or rather was he invisible for the most part?) It wasn't the most orthodox way to contain Lucic, but as someone who tries to watch the games with as little bias as possible, I think it worked. Claiming some kind of moral upper hand because Lucic is "in their heads" is counter-productive.

Anyways as far as the non-moral victory stuff:

-More of the same. November has been a really bad month for the team.

-If anyone is in the Habs' head, it's probably Tim Thomas. We used to torch this guy and now he's looking like prime-Hasek. Very frustrating to watch him make all these unorthodox saves.

-Awesome hit by Koivu. He hasn't thrown anything this big this year, but he really seems to be throwing his weight around more often...good to see.

-Really getting tired of Kovalev's act this year. I don't want to bash him continually, but man he just hasn't shown up this year. He's been very frustrating to watch.

-Excellent first period. Average 2nd period. Shaky 3rd period though I liked the fact that they came back and tied the game up. Julien's annoying 1-2-2 (and sometimes 1-4) makes it really hard to create chances. The fact that Carbo went with the same kind of passive trap was even more frustrating.

-Overall the first period had some great drama but the rest of the game settled into a trap fest with few chances created by either side.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:51 AM
clutchandgrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I really don't understand the logic that says that Julien had the upper hand in terms of the Lucic-Laraque matchup. If Kovalev backchecks properly are there really any positives about Lucic's game tonight?

I fully realize it sounds silly to argue well, if you ignore the goal he scored, Lucic was largely infective but I think it's a valid point (as counter intuitive as it may seem.) If you break it down to Lucic vs. Laraque, and to larger extent Boston's first line vs. Montreal's line w/ Laraque, I don't think there's much to cheer about from a Boston POV.

Lucic's goal occurred for 3 reasons:

1) Bouillon was caught pinching too deep
2) O'Byrne got beat by nice deke on Kessel's part
3) Kovalev's pathetic backchecking left Lucic alone to collect the pass.

As far as "Lucic is in Carbo/Habs head..." next tell me what colour the sky is...Really a physical beast capable of creating offence, wreaking havoc and playing 15:00+ minutes a night should be ignored? Carbo would be much smarter not gameplan for "Moses"...(Case in point as to Lucic's effectiveness tonight, did he really "part the sea" tonight like he did last game or rather was he invisible for the most part?) It wasn't the most orthodox way to contain Lucic, but as someone who tries to watch the games with as little bias as possible, I think it worked. Claiming some kind of moral upper hand because Lucic is "in their heads" is counter-productive.

Anyways as far as the non-moral victory stuff:

-More of the same. November has been a really bad month for the team.

-If anyone is in the Habs' head, it's probably Tim Thomas. We used to torch this guy and now he's looking like prime-Hasek. Very frustrating to watch him make all these unorthodox saves.

-Awesome hit by Koivu. He hasn't thrown anything this big this year, but he really seems to be throwing his weight around more often...good to see.

-Really getting tired of Kovalev's act this year. I don't want to bash him continually, but man he just hasn't shown up this year. He's been very frustrating to watch.

-Excellent first period. Average 2nd period. Shaky 3rd period though I liked the fact that they came back and tied the game up. Julien's annoying 1-2-2 (and sometimes 1-4) makes it really hard to create chances. The fact that Carbo went with the same kind of passive trap was even more frustrating.

-Overall the first period had some great drama but the rest of the game settled into a trap fest with few chances created by either side.
For the record, I'm not sure why you keep putting quotes around comments like that in response to my post. Because I never said them. Anyway, sure, you do have to game plan for Lucic. I just disagree (respectfully) that Georges is the answer. To say that Lucic was less of a factor tonight than he was last time around is correct. But the fact is, he was an absolute beast in that last game. Tough act to follow, especially on the road in back to back games. I will agree that Lucic seemed to lay off a couple times when he could have laid out big hits. But I'm not sold that it was because of Laraque. Part of that may be he assumed he was under a microscope and didn't want to do anything to catch the refs eye and draw a penalty.
I know we all see the game differently, and I really do try to watch with as little bias as possible. I can understand why so many of you guys "hate" Lucic. Hey, I always hated any Canadien who was productive against Boston. As much as we hate to admit it, it's a sign of respect more often than not.

Old
11-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Saku Koivu Hit

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:59 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. If
you honestly think that having Laraque on your first line is your best lineup
, then nothing I say will change that. I just think Carbo over reacted to ONE player and hurt his own skill players. Playing with a 2 man top line is a tough way to win (Laraque, in the first period especially, had NO intention of playing hockey. Puck was in his feet, and he didn't even know or care. I doubt Koivu was thrilled to play short handed all night.
As far as some comments I saw about Lucic not doing anything after the whistle etc, remember, the guy who he was involved in 99% of thetime was Komisarek. He's out of the lineup, so Lucic has no personal beef with anyone else. And to say he backs down from bigger tough guys is inaccurate as well. Last year he fought Ivanins, Tarnasky, Erskine among others. He isn't one to decline an invite, especially if it's immediately after a hit etc. I just don't think he, or Julien, see any reason to fight with anyone over what happened 9 days ago. Especially when all it would do is fire up the Bell center and the Habs bench.
Oh no! definitely not our best line-up having a 4th liner on our 1st line, but in this particular case (all the talk about a possible BGL-Lucic fight) it was good. True, BGL didnt bother looking at the puck in the 1st but on the other hand I don't recall his "opponent" touching it either, Lucic wasnt making good play nor having an impact physically neither. It was more 4 vs 4 than anything, look at the "tapes", 1st period, Lucic is invisble. If there's a flaw using this strategy is that BGL doesnt have the wheels to do that "chasing" 15/20 minutes a game, but good for us you played the night before so it's not like your guys were full of energy either

That we agree completely, no point in doing so, but at the very least don't talk about Lucic being only 20 or not being a goon in the coach PC cause it gives the impression the kid is being intimidated by BGL, and since he IS a goon, BGL (and Carbonneau) might use it to it's advantage, it's like saying : the kid AND the coach are intimidated by you Georges, have fun next game!

remember, the idea here was not for Laraque to fight Lucic, but to throw him off his game. Wich he did in the 1st and part of the 2nd, until we were down a goal actually.

Thanks for being honest Claude, but in this case a BS awnser like "kid is hurt a little" or "we played yesterday" would have been just fine IMO

Old
11-23-2008, 01:05 AM
clutchandgrab

Quote:
Oh no! definitely not our best line-up having a 4th liner on our 1st line, but in this particular case (all the talk about a possible BGL-Lucic fight) it was good. True, BGL didnt bother looking at the puck in the 1st but on the other hand I don't recall his "opponent" touching it either, Lucic wasnt making good play nor having an impact physically neither. It was more 4 vs 4 than anything, look at the "tapes", 1st period, Lucic is invisble. If there's a flaw using this strategy is that BGL doesnt have the wheels to do that "chasing" 15/20 minutes a game, but good for us you played the night before so it's not like your guys were full of energy either

That we agree completely, no point in doing so, but at the very least don't talk about Lucic being only 20 or not being a goon in the coach PC cause it gives the impression the kid is being intimidated by BGL, and since he IS a goon, BGL (and Carbonneau) might use it to it's advantage, it's like saying : the kid AND the coach are intimidated by you Georges, have fun next game!

remember, the idea here was not for Laraque to fight Lucic, but to throw him off his game. Wich he did in the 1st and part of the 2nd, until we were down a goal actually.

Thanks for being honest Claude, but in this case a BS awnser like "kid is hurt a little" or "we played yesterday" would have been just fine IMO
Huh? I'm very interested to see how you define "goon". I don't consider a player a goon if he's the regular LW on the top line, has 6G, 7A and is a plus 9. Now, a guy that gets maybe five minutes per game, no goals, no assists,is a minus four on the year and only played on the first line tonight so he could try to instigate a fight.....HIM, I would consider a goon. But that's just me. I guess goon must mean something else up there.

Old
11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
For the record, I'm not sure why you keep putting quotes around comments like that in response to my post. Because I never said them. Anyway, sure, you do have to game plan for Lucic. I just disagree (respectfully) that Georges is the answer. To say that Lucic was less of a factor tonight than he was last time around is correct. But the fact is, he was an absolute beast in that last game. Tough act to follow, especially on the road in back to back games. I will agree that Lucic seemed to lay off a couple times when he could have laid out big hits. But I'm not sold that it was because of Laraque. Part of that may be he assumed he was under a microscope and didn't want to do anything to catch the refs eye and draw a penalty.
I know we all see the game differently, and I really do try to watch with as little bias as possible. I can understand why so many of you guys "hate" Lucic. Hey, I always hated any Canadien who was productive against Boston. As much as we hate to admit it, it's a sign of respect more often than not.
My post wasn't directed at you, but rather to the the general theme of the night which seemed to indicate that Julien/Lucic had the upper hand. (Even CBC commentators were arguing this.) I'm saying that when you have a player with Lucic's physical abilities, who just dominated your team in the previous meeting, Carbo would have to be incompetent not to try something to nullify Lucic's effect.

Granted the Bruins won the game, and Lucic scored a big goal, but I'm saying as counter intuitive as it sounds that if ignore that part of the game, Laraque evidently negated Lucic's overall effectiveness when the two were on the ice together.

To be clear, I'm not saying Lucic is scared, or that Laraque intimidated him etc...and I don't want to get into those type of debates. From my perspective, judging by Lucic's past, I doubt he was scared and judging from post-game comments Julien didn't allow him to fight. However, his gameplay was clearly hampered due to Laraque's shadowing when the two were on the ice together. It's not necessarily the threat of fight, it's just the fact of having someone skate with you stride for stride for you entire shift trying to get off your game.

As far as getting the penalty, I can agree with that to a certain extent, and you right in saying that the 6-1 performance was a tough act to follow. However, when Laraque was shadowing him, he simply wasn't an impact player.

I still think that if you look at the chances that the Bruins' first line created while they matched up against, there simply weren't many.

Like I said, it wasn't orthodox, but it worked. Now, getting Kovalev to backcheck like he actually cares, that's a whole nother story. Lucic drove to the net and Kovalev's laziness was one of the main of the main contributor's to the goal, not anything BGL did. (Or if you're being generous: Kovalev's poor hockey sense didn't allow him to compute that Lucic was his man...) Either way, Lucic got rewarded with a goal, but outside of that I didn't feel he was a huge factor.

*So again, Lucic scored a goal and I realize it's a little silly to ignore that in the final analysis, but I'm willing to do it because the goal had nothing to do with Laraque Lucic.

Old
11-23-2008, 01:10 AM
habtastic

Really don't have ANY respect for Lucic, honestly (as i'm sure you don't for Ribeiro, and neither do most of us for that matter). I wouldn't put him on our roster any higher than maybe third line permanently, just cuz Lats has a ways to develop (so would take his spot). Once our skilled guys start getting their bounces, it'll be lights out, and lucic's upside, whatever that is will be long forgotten. To address point 2: I bet you wish you had Saku Koivu on your team, or for that matter Mike Komisarek or Carey Price, could go on a couple more i think. Carbo's plan was a good one IMO. That line actually DID create chances and lets forget for a second that plek's line SUCKS these days; Koivu and Tanguay anyway play between themselves (which usually works out) and Laraque shut down Lucic as well as kept the puck in the zone for Koivu and Tangs. This is actually one of the GOOD Carbo coaching moves. If Kovalev was Kovalev tonight, the plan would look genius. Carbo can't control that. Maybe make another warrior video or something. Practice those one handed top corner shots. Funny how a Wheeler puck mishandle turns into bruins defeat habs. hardly. we played better. if we play like this consistently, we are a much better team than the Bs. Give them this, they seem to be able to finish their chances, something we are exasperatingly incapable of doing.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:14 AM
clutchandgrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
My post wasn't directed at you, but rather to the the general theme of the night which seemed to indicate that Julien/Lucic had the upper hand. (Even CBC commentators were arguing this.) I'm saying that when you have a player with Lucic's physical abilities, who just dominated your team in the previous meeting, Carbo would have to be incompetent not to try something to nullify Lucic's effect.

Granted the Bruins won the game, and Lucic scored a big goal, but I'm saying as counter intuitive as it sounds that if ignore that part of the game, Laraque evidently negated Lucic's overall effectiveness when the two were on the ice together.

To be clear, I'm not saying Lucic is scared, or that Laraque intimidated him etc...and I don't want to get into those type of debates. From my perspective, judging by Lucic's past, I doubt he was scared and judging from post-game comments Julien didn't allow him to fight. However, his gameplay was clearly hampered due to Laraque's shadowing when the two were on the ice together. It's not necessarily the threat of fight, it's just the fact of having someone skate with you stride for stride for you entire shift trying to get off your game.

As far as getting the penalty, I can agree with that to a certain extent, and you right in saying that the 6-1 performance was a tough act to follow. However, when Laraque was shadowing him, he simply wasn't an impact player.

I still think that if you look at the chances that the Bruins' first line created while they matched up against, there simply weren't many.

Like I said, it wasn't orthodox, but it worked. Now, getting Kovalev to backcheck like he actually cares, that's a whole nother story. Lucic drove to the net and Kovalev's laziness was one of the main of the main contributor's to the goal, not anything BGL did. (Or if you're being generous: Kovalev's poor hockey sense didn't allow him to compute that Lucic was his man...) Either way, Lucic got rewarded with a goal, but outside of that I didn't feel he was a huge factor.

*So again, Lucic scored a goal and I realize it's a little silly to ignore that in the final analysis, but I'm willing to do it because the goal had nothing to do with Laraque Lucic.
Gotcha, cool. I think (hope?) that if Carbo uses this same technique next time around Lucic will handle it differently. Not necessarily take the fighting bait, but will maybe lure Laraque into bad positions, opening up his linemates to make plays. Sort of play the role of decoy to an extent. Lucic is the better skater (not that he's the fastest guy in the world), so he can afford to draw Georges away and then be able to jump back into the play, leaving Laraque in the dust. Who knows? I guess we'll see another interesting chapter next meeting no matter what. No matter how it plays out, it's sure to be "interesting" LOL

Old
11-23-2008, 01:24 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Huh? I'm very interested to see how you define "goon". I don't consider a player a goon if he's the regular LW on the top line, has 6G, 7A and is a plus 9. Now, a guy that gets maybe five minutes per game, no goals, no assists,is a minus four on the year and only played on the first line tonight so he could try to instigate a fight.....HIM, I would consider a goon. But that's just me. I guess goon must mean something else up there.
the HE refers to the previous name in the sentence, and in this case it's BGL. What do you wanted me to do, use the BGL "word" 3 times in a 10 words sentence ?

No, that's me (and a lot of others I would guess - even the dummies up there!) too...

Old
11-23-2008, 01:28 AM
clutchandgrab

Quote:
the HE refers to the previous name in the sentence, and in this case it's BGL. What do you wanted me to do, use the BGL "word" 3 times in a 10 words sentence ?

No, that's me (and a lot of others I would guess - even the dummies up there!) too...
Whew, I was seriously worried about your sanity there for a minute.
Ah, this must be my cue that it's late and time for me to call it a night LOL.

Old
11-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Gotcha, cool. I think (hope?) that if Carbo uses this same technique next time around Lucic will handle it differently. Not necessarily take the fighting bait, but will maybe lure Laraque into bad positions, opening up his linemates to make plays. Sort of play the role of decoy to an extent. Lucic is the better skater (not that he's the fastest guy in the world), so he can afford to draw Georges away and then be able to jump back into the play, leaving Laraque in the dust. Who knows? I guess we'll see another interesting chapter next meeting no matter what. No matter how it plays out, it's sure to be "interesting" LOL
Exactly the kind of tactic I'd suggest for Lucic to get Laraque to draw penalties and/or create space for his linemates. A sudden burst of speed or a quick change of direction could cause Laraque to take a hooking or a holding penalty. Though to be fair, Laraque has been very smart about bad penalties and isn't the type of tough guy who falls into that kind of game. (He has taken 2 minor pens. in 11 games this year. By contrast, Godard has 8 in 20, Peters has 7 in 16 etc...By and large it's fair to say that Laraque doesn't take many bad penalties.)

Still, it would be a worthwhile tactic. If Lucic can play high energy shifts and force BGL to chase him around, by the 3rd period he could be able to create room for himself and his linemates.

Either way, as you said the next battle should be really interesting.

Old
11-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Namso

I dont think Carbo has to send BGL out every shift against Lucic, just a couple in the beginning of the game, and then some here and there (when the puck is in the offensive zone) and it should keep Lucic honest.

No reason to totally take away one member of the first/second line. Just do it sporadically, and I dont think Lucic will try any funny stuff.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Stradale

6th game in a row that the Habs didnt score more than 2 goals.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote