HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds want Legwand to do more

Old
11-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Preds want Legwand to do more

Link

Pressure is mounting on David Legwand to produce more. File

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The expectations for Legwand are not unfounded. He has played well offensively when he has been healthy the past three years. Unfortunately, this team is in dire need of some scoring forwards. With our defensive issues and the weak offensive talent on this team, I am not surprised to see one of our more inconsistent offensive players struggle. I hope that he puts his line on his back and starts scoring like crazy, but if Tootoo/Peverly/Bonk are going to consistently play as his wingmates, it is not going to happen.

7 years 27 million is still not that bad of a price for Legwand. The problem is we have no money to waste on underachieving forwards. We NEED him to play better because we cannot afford to go out and get someone that will HELP him play better. It is quite the conundrum. Radulov's departure hurt this team on so many levels...

11-22-2008, 04:39 AM
DManPreds11

Yeah what they don't say is "Yes Legwand is our 2nd line Center that plays with 4th line wingers". I'd love to see Leggy quoted as saying, "well since we're casting stones, I wish Coach would stop changing the lines up, once I get some chemistry with the two duds I have on my line he throws up another 2 for me to get use to, or atleast leave one either Marty or JP with me". "Plus where was Poile this past June when we could've aquired Mike Cammalleri(16pts./19games) for our 15th pick in this years draft". Why couldn't we afford Mark Parrish that signed in Dallas for only 500k or trade for Vermette while he's heard to be on the block"? "Better yet why do we keep drafting Defenseman like Blum, when we could've had LW'er David Perron (13pts./16gms.). "If we're going to draft forwards why not draft NHL ready one's like Boedker(9pts/18gms.)"?

Man I'd love to hear what Leggy really thinks, GM & Coach can do some bashing but the player can't? Atleast Poile respected Leggy in saying "David plays a lot against the top line of our opponents and is a very good defensive player". Not like Trotz "I think hes a pretty good two-way centerman. He understands how to play both sides of the puck fairly well". I think leaving out the "pretty" and "farily" would have be the fair thing to say coming from the coach. Remember he scored 63pts/78gms. with Erat and Kariya... hint....hint.

Last edited by DManPreds11: 11-22-2008 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Spelling error
DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:22 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I agree, Enoch, if Legwand has linemates like Bonk, Peverley, Nichol, and Tarnasky, he won't produce. Unlike Dumont, Legwand doesn't really make the players around him better and needs to have the right cast around him to really shine. Unfortunately, we don't have an elite offensive talent like Kariya to spur his offense to the levels we KNOW he's capable of reaching, so I think we could be going through a lot of this this season and it may end with Legwand getting dealt.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Pachyderm I

haven't we all been waiting for about 10 years for him to do more...?

Pachyderm I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:52 AM
dulzhok

I have been a Legwand critic for a while now.

Bottom line, the guy doesn't have the drive, passion, and desire to improve to be an impact player in the NHL.

I almost relate to the Dustin Perner situation. Now that he's cashed in on a big, long contract, I am fearing the worst. I honeslty won't be suprised to see seasons of production of 10 goals or less. That could be as early as this year.

He's good in the defensive end and can bring the puck up ice, but once this guy enters the offensive zone, he's VERY AVERAGE (if not below average). Average shot, average vision, rarely wins the battles, and lacks competitive drive.

He's scored over 20 goals once in his career. And that season, you got the feeling that was the absolute peak of production for Legwand. He was surrounded by a lot of talent and he was getting lots of breaks. I relate it to Radek Bonk's early years in Ottawa.

I'm back on the trade him bandwangon. Do we really want to watch this pansy show for 7 more years? Do you we really think he's all of the sudden going to get a fire lit under his ass, and develp a desire to improve his game and do what it takes to win hockey games? Doubt it. I don't think he's value is very high, but I'd be guaging it if I'm Poile. But then again, I'd have been guaging it 5 years ago. He's not the kind of player you want to "make your bed with" (Poile's words). Now we're going to be in bed with him for 7 years? Uuugghh.

Last edited by dulzhok: 11-22-2008 at 10:59 AM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:23 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I like his two way play but that's all he is, a two-way center.

he's the least of our problems though.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Pachyderm I

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I have been a Legwand critic for a while now.

Bottom line, the guy doesn't have the drive, passion, and desire to improve to be an impact player in the NHL.

I almost relate to the Dustin Perner situation. Now that he's cashed in on a big, long contract, I am fearing the worst. I honeslty won't be suprised to see seasons of production of 10 goals or less. That could be as early as this year.

He's good in the defensive end and can bring the puck up ice, but once this guy enters the offensive zone, he's VERY AVERAGE (if not below average). Average shot, average vision, rarely wins the battles, and lacks competitive drive.

He's scored over 20 goals once in his career. And that season, you got the feeling that was the absolute peak of production for Legwand. He was surrounded by a lot of talent and he was getting lots of breaks. I relate it to Radek Bonk's early years in Ottawa.

I'm back on the trade him bandwangon. Do we really want to watch this pansy show for 7 more years? Do you we really think he's all of the sudden going to get a fire lit under his ass, and develp a desire to improve his game and do what it takes to win hockey games? Doubt it. I don't think he's value is very high, but I'd be guaging it if I'm Poile. But then again, I'd have been guaging it 5 years ago. He's not the kind of player you want to "make your bed with" (Poile's words). Now we're going to be in bed with him for 7 years? Uuugghh.
i want to like him but i think he wants to play in detroit or anywhere but here.
just something inside me says he feels the preds aren't going to get over the hump...

Pachyderm I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If he wanted to play in Detroit, why did he sign a 7 year extension with Nashville? .

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:51 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Just goes to show how people distort reality to match an opinion. Rather than forming an opinion about reality.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:29 PM
dulzhok

Quote:

We have other problems, but our highest paid player on pace for 12 goals and seemingly lacking any competitive drive in the 1st year of a 7 year contract is a problem.

This guys going to be spending lots of time at the post office over the next 7 years, mailing in all kinds of stuff.

I just hope he gets the opporunity to use a different post office than Nashville's.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 06:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm shocked he hasn't scored more playing with Ward and Tootoo.

Our biggest problem is, Legwand is playing with Ward and Tootoo.

Old
11-23-2008, 06:33 PM
nine_inch_fang

That would be good if that was our third line.

During the game I kept thinking, "Wow I love this new third line. Who did we sign/trade for to make a second line?"

Old
11-23-2008, 06:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually, Ward and Tootoo are great 4th liners below average 3rd liners on most teams. We have some guys that aren't even really NHL players though, that make them look better.

Old
11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
nine_inch_fang

Very true. Considering they are our second line right now makes me appreciate them as a third line much more also.

Old
11-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Actually, Ward and Tootoo are great 4th liners below average 3rd liners on most teams. We have some guys that aren't even really NHL players though, that make them look better.
Ward has shown himself to be a pretty decent 3rd liner so far. Tootoo on the other hand...

Speaking of 22, anyone notice him out there on the PP one time?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We have other problems, but our highest paid player on pace for 12 goals and seemingly lacking any competitive drive in the 1st year of a 7 year contract is a problem.

This guys going to be spending lots of time at the post office over the next 7 years, mailing in all kinds of stuff.

I just hope he gets the opporunity to use a different post office than Nashville's.
Doesn't Arnott make 5M a year?

Old
11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Doesn't Arnott make 5M a year?
Arnott makes $4.5M in all three remaining years on his contract.

Legwand's contract was front-loaded, so he is making $5.5M this season, and $5M next season.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I love that Smithson had more TOI tonight than Legwand.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Smithson of course brings more to the table.