HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kovalev?

Old
11-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
HUH???

He's one of the few guys generating any chances the last few weeks?

You don't think Plekanec crapping the bed so far and A.Kost being hurt, then struggling will have no impact on Kovy's stats?

Man, the Habs have a lot of clueless fans. Kovy is on of the very few guys who has shown up and contributed on most nights. Unfortunately a lot of times this year his linemates have had it on cruise control quite often.
Remove your googles, he was pretty bad in the last 5 games despite the PK. Tonight he was awful defensively and very average offensively although I did see interesting plays coming from him, but most of the time he ended up screwing the entire play on the PP or at even-strength.

Andrei has been money since departing from Kovy's line, and so will Plekanec when given a better RW than Kostopoulos. For example, Andrei Kostitsyn. Sadly, it won't happen cuz Carbo is as predictable when it comes to line juggling as Lapierre on a 2-on-1.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:12 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

As a neutral observer, Kovalev looks disinterested. He's arguably the most talented offensive player in the league but he simply doesn't care sometimes. I don't think the Habs can expect to get all that much in return for him, maybe a top 6 forward, a good prospect and a low pick?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
As a neutral observer, Kovalev looks disinterested. He's arguably the most talented offensive player in the league but he simply doesn't care sometimes. I don't think the Habs can expect to get all that much in return for him, maybe a top 6 forward, a good prospect and a low pick?
I hate when people say that. He looks interested, but he lacks effort. He also ain't the most talented offensive player in the league, Kovalev compared to guys like Ovy or Kovalchuck only knows one way to play. Just look at how predictable he's when he enters the O zone.. it's always the same **** over and over. Except for ONE play on the PP tonight that I never saw him doing before (Marauding and hiding behind the Ds to receive a pass and shot right away), he was the same ol' kovalev.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:24 AM
habtastic

I will fully agree I am suuuper pissed at Kovy right now. I do blame him for a couple of games just as much as Obyrne. Not scoring is in some situations just as bad as giving the other team a goal. Wasted chances. For him and for others.

However, he is so clearly the most talented player. Our team changed course the day we got him and as is always said, we live or die by him. We need him. The real him. I'm pissed at Bizzaro Kovalev who we all know well. The real Kovy pots goals when he wants to. Honestly it's just a matter of time. He knows it. He's finding a rhythm and as painful as it is to watch, we will NOT be a cup contender this year unless we have Alex Kovalev...the real one. Damn him for now, but know that we will be Luciching to him soon enough (probably coincident with the time that bubble bursts). I'd take a sick Kovy three man deke, top shelfer any day than that chump. Also included in the "real Kovalev" package -- Tomas Plekanec.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:30 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I will fully agree I am suuuper pissed at Kovy right now. I do blame him for a couple of games just as much as Obyrne. Not scoring is in some situations just as bad as giving the other team a goal. Wasted chances. For him and for others.

However, he is so clearly the most talented player. Our team changed course the day we got him and as is always said, we live or die by him. We need him. The real him. I'm pissed at Bizzaro Kovalev who we all know well. The real Kovy pots goals when he wants to. Honestly it's just a matter of time. He knows it. He's finding a rhythm and as painful as it is to watch, we will NOT be a cup contender this year unless we have Alex Kovalev...the real one. Damn him for now, but know that we will be Luciching to him soon enough (probably coincident with the time that bubble bursts). I'd take a sick Kovy three man deke, top shelfer any day than that chump. Also included in the "real Kovalev" package -- Tomas Plekanec.
he's such a temperamental head case. i would BET that most of this has to do with not being signed to an extension

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Kovalev...see ya!

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:34 AM
m00ks

How about just find a way to get him going. Video analysis, Gainey pep talk, encouragement, anything. I honestly think if you fix your PP and get that right point shot, you get Kovalev going, you give him momentum and confidence, you get the play you want from him.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Funniest thing I've read on this forum since I've joined. Congratulations.
I'm talking last 3-4 games, Kovalev > Tanguay, IMO.

Adam91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
We could make a 3-way deal. Kovalev goes to Washington, along with Halak. Fleischmann goes to Atlanta, along with Kolzig and a 2nd. Kozlov goes to Washington. Ovechkin, Kovalchuk to Montreal.
Wouldn't work.. Kolzig is on Tampa.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:08 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I hate when people say that. He looks interested, but he lacks effort. He also ain't the most talented offensive player in the league, Kovalev compared to guys like Ovy or Kovalchuck only knows one way to play. Just look at how predictable he's when he enters the O zone.. it's always the same **** over and over. Except for ONE play on the PP tonight that I never saw him doing before (Marauding and hiding behind the Ds to receive a pass and shot right away), he was the same ol' kovalev.
huh... type there, right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

As Kovalev goes, so goes the Habs offense. But, if you guys don't want him anymore we'll gladly take him back. When your top six wingers are Satan, Sykora, Talbot and Dupuis it's an easy decision.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:52 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
As Kovalev goes, so goes the Habs offense. But, if you guys don't want him anymore we'll gladly take him back. When your top six wingers are Satan, Sykora, Talbot and Dupuis it's an easy decision.
You're not serious are you? You are swimming in talent. You want Kovy to (try to) take the team away from Crosby, Malkin and Staal? He ain't your average plug in winger, especially now that he has been THE go-to-guy in the city that has made him a god (and a goat). I doubt he would work well with your guys. Satan and Sykora are just the type to either finish C, M and S' plays or to feed them. you don't want a guy dipsy doodling into the zone and then giving a behind the back pass to the other team (meant for tomas plekanec) or taking a 0 % shot from almost behind the net (oh wait, that's Lats too). Even when Kovy gets "back", actually even more so, you're better off without him. Unless you wanna give us back (heritage-wise) Crosby???

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:17 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I take it you missed the exchange between a Leafs fan and a Blue Jackets fan a year or so ago, I think on the NHL board?
That was three years ago I think, and everytime I see dru (The Jackets fan), I chuckle remembering just that.

Still the best post I've ever read on these boards.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Stradale

I am still the only one to have faith in him? He proves me right last season after the other desastrous season. And why would he be disinterested? Why would he be mad or whatever... He has top minutes, plays on PP and PK, played on the same line with Koivu and Tanguay. Why would he be disintereded? I bet he wants the team to succeed than anybody else.

I rather be patient with him, once he will get out of the slump, everything will get back to normal.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

Okay someone please tell me that this thread is a big joke.

Kovy is what, 3-4pts off from last year's production at this same date? Sure, he's been playing lousy - not just statisticwise.

Before I'm even ready to begin entertaining speculation I'd wait for the 25-game mark.

I admit he's been looking slow and uncreative. He was always a little bit like this but only for portions of games. Now it's for the whole game.

Plekanec isn't doing much better. He's looking like Bulis right now... speed, effort, no talent.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 06:08 AM
m00ks

In closing, I hope the Habs start stringing a few wins together to lessen these types of threads. It's getting so hard to visit these boards with the moody atmosphere around here. How'd you guys survive the Samsonov era?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 06:30 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
We could make a 3-way deal. Kovalev goes to Washington, along with Halak. Fleischmann goes to Atlanta, along with Kolzig and a 2nd. Kozlov goes to Washington. Ovechkin, Kovalchuk to Montreal.
And then i go snowboarding in Hell right?

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
How'd you guys survive the Samsonov era?
It wasn't easy. Some of us didn't make it.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:35 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
please, Kovalev has been very bad. He is a giveaway machine, he is capable of playing way better. He even looks discouraged out there. I would seriously sit him in the pressbox for a game or 2. If he sulks and throws a fit, then throw him under the bus and trade him. Cause he is not helping this team at all with his play and ice time.

oh and i can't see the op's post either as its on my Ignoire List too. LOL
OR you can be a good coach and take him aside and figure out what is wrong with him right now. He has turned over the puck lately and he has also kept the puck too long. There's no denying that. But why is he doing those things is the question. Is it because he isn't playing with the right guys? Is he trying to do too much? It's not like Kovy somehow forgot to play hockey over the summer.

The coach still has faithin him since he uses the guy on PK. I'd give him more offensive ice time and no PK to reduce the time he is on the ice.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:11 AM
GoHabsGO252006

Kovy has been beyond awful this season. I like the guy when he is playing with 100% effort and clearly displaying that team success means something to him. I'm not sure why he can never follow up with a season like last 2 years in a row though. He is not the same player, I believe he is offended that he has not been offered a new contract after a great year last year. Gainey needs to have a chat with him and tell him to get his act together.

If this keeps up he will likely be dealt because he is not a non-factor he is a negative factor. At the very least, I think no matter what happens between now and the end of the year Kovy will not be back so enjoy him while he is still here.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

That's what happen when your offense is build on a inconsistent player like him. Players are counting on him just as much as they were counting on the PP to get their offense going. Too many followers....not enough chiefs....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:32 AM
TheCH*

There are many players on this team underperforming this year, you are all foolish to be blaming that all on Kovalev. He is only a portion of the problem with this team, trading him will not solve anything. He'll get it going!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
There are many players on this team underperforming this year, you are all foolish to be blaming that all on Kovalev. He is only a portion of the problem with this team, trading him will not solve anything. He'll get it going!
if you are refering at Plekanec, I would like to tell you that It is Kovalev who have to get Plekanec going, not the opposite

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Komisarek is useless this year

Trade him too ?

what about Pacioretty ?! his maximum potential is AHL

now guys chill the **** out

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
couz

Gainey wont trade him because he'll never get a better player in return.

The only reason he'd trade him is if he felt Kovy was a detriment in the room.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote