HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I guess...

Old
11-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
I guess...

this is the way our team will play for the rest of the season. This is a small sample of games but I'd be suprise to see them bounce back. They have the talent, but there is this old myth running around suggesting most players struggle in their sophomore season. We have some impact players who play their 2nd season: A Kostitsyn, S Kostitsyin, C Price to name a few. I'm not worry but what the team lacks is the power play, last season it was the bread and butter but it doesn't work this season. Kovalev got about half of his pts on the PP last year, I doubt the same will happen this season.

Might be a bad streak, might be our team's true face, only time will tell. We shouldn't be mad, I expect them to finish somewhere around the 5th place in the East, that isn't too bad. Still a bit far from our expecations but truly that team has talent, something is missing, I don't know what though. They have been playing poorly for quite a while now I hope it will stop.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Magic33

I agree that we shouldn't be disappointed at all with a 5th place finish. Having a 1st place or nothing attitude, as fans, isn't the right thing to think. The players however, should not be satisfied until we are in first. I think if we finish anywhere in the top 8 in the conference, we should be happy. There are alot of good teams and it really is a toss up as to who will finish highest.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Travis Moen

As long as we make the playoffs, nothing else matters. It's better to peak at the end of the season or during the playoffs than early (ask the senators).

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
this is the way our team will play for the rest of the season. This is a small sample of games but I'd be suprise to see them bounce back. They have the talent, but there is this old myth running around suggesting most players struggle in their sophomore season. We have some impact players who play their 2nd season: A Kostitsyn, S Kostitsyin, C Price to name a few. I'm not worry but what the team lacks is the power play, last season it was the bread and butter but it doesn't work this season. Kovalev got about half of his pts on the PP last year, I doubt the same will happen this season.

Might be a bad streak, might be our team's true face, only time will tell. We shouldn't be mad, I expect them to finish somewhere around the 5th place in the East, that isn't too bad. Still a bit far from our expecations but truly that team has talent, something is missing, I don't know what though. They have been playing poorly for quite a while now I hope it will stop.
If they play like they did tonight 80% of the time, they'll be 1st in the East or somebody will need a monster year to finish ahead of them. The opposing goalie won't have a horseshoe up his butt like Thomas did tonight every game and our guys won't miss great chances like they did tonight.

The key for the Habs is getting back to bringing pressure, creating chances and forcing turnovers/penalities like last year. They did that tonight unlike the last 5-6 games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Habs8517

they are playing terrible
im scared that they wont make the playoffs this year
so many players of our team are floating around
i dont sense that this edition of the habs are playing like a team, they seem to be playing like individuals trying to pad their stats

i got a sneaky feeling that the habs are playing badly to fire carbo

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Next Best Thing*

Wow I thought this was a bump from last couple of games.

My feeling tonight is if the game would of been longer, our Habs were sure to put a couple more in on Thomas. This is of those nights where I really disagree with the shootout method of deciding games. This is a loss I can live with and im extremely optimistic about the next couple of games.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post

//_-

"If God really exists, then why d roses have thorns"

Get over it, cutting yourself won't help, as a mater of fact, this should be said to many people on these boards...

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
znk

This was one of the best efforts of the season against the hotest team in the NHL right now. We outplayed them and loss but a lot of good tonight. I really wasnt expecting this....was prepared for the worst.

Now the team needs to step up and play like this against the rest of the league.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
This was one of the best efforts of the season against the hotest team in the NHL right now. We outplayed them and loss but a lot of good tonight. I really wasnt expecting this....was prepared for the worst.

Now the team needs to step up and play like this against the rest of the league.
Nicely said znk, I think some posters forget that after the way we easily handled the Bruins last year. With the win tonight, the Bruins are the 2nd best team in the league. We stayed toe to toe with them all night, and with a lucky bounce here or there...could have beaten them.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

This is sort of like how Yankee and Red Sox fans in baseball had to come to terms with what the Tampa Bay Rays were this year rather than in previous seasons.

Don't worry, you'll be in the playoffs. You'll probably be fourth seed, especially with a good young horse goaltender like Price to back you up and atone for your mistakes.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

What? Obviously I'd pick my own favorite team to win the division, I'm picking the Habs second, best record of non division leaders, is that so bad?

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
What? Obviously I'd pick my own favorite team to win the division, I'm picking the Habs second, best record of non division leaders, is that so bad?
It's way too early, if you gonna go and pimp your team, do it on your board. We've gotten enough trolls and ruins fans for tonight.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:05 AM
ksargent

The Habs are in a slump right now, plain and simple. Bruins are hot, and when you are, good thing happen, such as Wheeler's SO goal. Montreal had the same good fortune earlier in the season when they were winning despite not having the best game.

However, Thursday's win and tonight's solid effort make me believe the slump end is near. Given how consistent they were last year and how relatively few changes there were this year, I highly doubt this is the "new normal". It is just a slump, and they will eventually pull out of it and the bandwagon will load up again...

ksargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Fire Brunet*

Why don't you guys...

... accept the fact that we are just in a slump right now? Some posts in here make me wanna go

We will eventually pick it up and start winning just like we did last year, it's better to face adversity now... We finished first last year and I don't see why we can't do it this year. Sure, some adjustment have to me made, but I think we have a better team than last year.

Just my two cents and some positivity.

Go Habs Go!

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:12 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

It's cause we are losing not because of "bounces" or "luck" but because of a complete lack of execution and gameplan.

It's due to: partly Carbo, partly some of the floaters and it's partly over.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Delat

The fast that we are loosing is not the problem for me, what frustrates is the non effort games we had, tonight was way better. As long as we put the effort I'm confindent the wins will come, but if we don't try it won't.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:01 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
The fast that we are loosing is not the problem for me, what frustrates is the non effort games we had, tonight was way better. As long as we put the effort I'm confindent the wins will come, but if we don't try it won't.
Yeah, the last few losses were really tough to stomach. This one even if it was against the Bruins and on Roy's night, was much easier to settle down from.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I actually believe quite the opposite. Yesterday looked like a turning point as we play a hell of a lot better.

Alright we lost, but the Bruins are 9-0-1 in their last 10, quite the streak. We carry the play, we outhit them and more importantly, the defense had someone to pass the puck tonight (i.e. the offense wasnt waiting for the puck at the opposite blueline...)

2 more things and we are fine:

1. Kovalev need to get out of his slump. He's loosing puck alone right now, it will get better.

2. The PP (i'd say it has something to do with (1). A proper PP tonight and we win by 2, at least.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Dark4ng3l

If the team plays like last night every game we will finish 1st.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:57 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
If the team plays like last night every game we will finish 1st.

Agreed. We didn't start out 1st last season we just finished that way. It doesn't matter anyway, we want to finish first overall in the league when we win Stanley. Who cares if somebody had more points than us if we get that cup during our centennial?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:27 AM
JohnnyB11

The fact is, there will always be those dramatic types who believe there must be major changes after each and every loss, and even after some wins.

Good effort, grabbed a point from a red-hot team, the sky is NOT falling.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:44 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
You know what is really making me laugh right now. This year in 19 games we're 11-5-3. Last year in 19 games we were 11-5-3. So no need to panic because we are in a slump now (oddly enough last year we were in a slump as well at this time lol).

I find in the last few games the team has done great strides. They are playing much better defensively. They are not getting bogged down by an aggressive fore check as much earlier in the season. They are hitting a lot more, causing a decent amount of turn overs when they are fore checking and most importantly they are getting scoring chances, both on the PP and ES. Sprinkle a little more confidence and this team will be the force they were around the end of the season of last year.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:09 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
You know what is really making me laugh right now. This year in 19 games we're 11-5-3. Last year in 19 games we were 11-5-3. So no need to panic because we are in a slump now (oddly enough last year we were in a slump as well at this time lol).

I find in the last few games the team has done great strides. They are playing much better defensively. They are not getting bogged down by an aggressive fore check as much earlier in the season. They are hitting a lot more, causing a decent amount of turn overs when they are fore checking and most importantly they are getting scoring chances, both on the PP and ES. Sprinkle a little more confidence and this team will be the force they were around the end of the season of last year.

The difference however is: last year, most of our best players were signed for the current and next season while this year most of them are without a contract at the end of the year. At some point, these players will stop playing hard to avoid injuries. Bob has to do his job. He should get rid of the players who aren't part of his plans for the next two or three years and sign the others to show them that they belong and get their commitment. Waiting until the end of the season to renew any contract this year isn't a good strategy.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:39 AM
la25ecoupe

What moves do you think Gainey will do?

Carbo said he didn't want to trade Begin and Dandy

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
The difference however is: last year, most of our best players were signed for the current and next season while this year most of them are without a contract at the end of the year. At some point, these players will stop playing hard to avoid injuries. Bob has to do his job. He should get rid of the players who aren't part of his plans for the next two or three years and sign the others to show them that they belong and get their commitment. Waiting until the end of the season to renew any contract this year isn't a good strategy.
Not play hard to avoid injuries? What about play hard to earn a new contract or a bigger one? How is signing anybody mid-season an incentive? If you think it is an incentive, see if you can get consensus on who deserves a contract mid season.

Commitment is not going to show up if it isn't already there now

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote