HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we trade for Erskine?

Old
11-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Should we trade for Erskine?

BG is too tough . How about we make a move for John Erskine as a back up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOqan4jMAn4

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 11-23-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Quiet Robert

Erskine is not even close to what this team needs. If you're doing this on the sole basis that he got the upper hand in a fight with Lucic...I'm glad you're not our GM.

A guy who could maybe be a realistic target is Giordano in Calgary. Young, good contract, good skater, good offensive instincts. I don't know if his shot is good enough for him to be a trigger man on the PP, but I do think he could have an impact there, and overall he would help our transition game. I think this kind of target is more useful to our squad and more realistic.

If BG is going all out, we target a guy like Bouwmeester or Ohlund. Maybe S.Zubov gets shopped around as a rental etc...

But plodding guys who can only play 15mins a night are not what this team needs.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Erskine is not even close to what this team needs. If you're doing this on the sole basis that he got the upper hand in a fight with Lucic...I'm glad you're not our GM.

A guy who could maybe be a realistic target is Giordano in Calgary. Young, good contract, good skater, good offensive instincts. I don't know if his shot is good enough for him to be a trigger man on the PP, but I do think he could have an impact there, and overall he would help our transition game. I think this kind of target is more useful to our squad and more realistic.

If BG is going all out, we target a guy like Bouwmeester or Ohlund. Maybe S.Zubov gets shopped around as a rental etc...

But plodding guys who can only play 15mins a night are not what this team needs.
id take him for a 7th dman .

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3879

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Colt.45Orr

Pretty easy to win fights when you are cheating and don't have your jersey tied down. Say what you want about it (I don't expect fans to be objective), but you get kicked out of the game for it for a reason. Erskine is one tough SOB, but had a huge upper hand in this fight by not being tied down and being free to swing away.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
He can't skate, can't pass, and he's got a terrible contract next year onwards.

He has nothing Montreal needs or wants. I do not know why you occasionally post up these threads seeking 13th forwards or 7th defensemen . . .

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

How much better is Erskine than Alex Henry? I'm thinking some. But if you just want a bottom-pairing tough guy, we could just recall Henry, maybe?

Bouillon is usually physical and if O'Byrne uses his size more, like he did at times last night, I think we're ok. I don't see the Flames moving somebody like Giordano, they've got a good deal there it seems. But either way, the Habs probably won't get too much choice in who they pursue... if some D does shake loose near the trade deadline, it'll be a short list of targets of opportunity.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:13 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
BG is too tough . How about we make a move for John Erskine as a back up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOqan4jMAn4
I like it....one of the beauties of life though is things don't often work out the same form one year to the next or even one minute. Last year the Patriots were up something like 35-7 at the half in Miami, today I think the Fish beat them in Miami.

old time Habs fans should remember how knucklehead Flyers tough guy Dave Schultz bludgeoned poor John Van Boxmeer (now that was BS and I remember wishing someone would beat the crap out of him and not stop) and lo and behold Larry Robinson on a Sunday afternoon game abused Schultz like a rented mule. Speaking of Robinson, they don't make them like that anymore.

I'm not so sure Erskine does a repeat- he might, but Lucic is a year older and at that age is huge; he is bigger, stronger, and smarter. Very few people who fight or wrestle go underfeated; every great fighter in history eventually got their lunch handed to them, and just about every hockey brawler did to (I saw David Maley, a former Habs, with the Devils one punch Lyndon Byers to the ice; next night in Buffalo, Byers destroys (and even holds back at end) an aged Clark Gillies- his last fight ever and a sad way to go out for one of the games toughest allaround hockey players

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Mike8

I don't see what the big deal is. Lucic is not a great fighter; Komisarek's just worse. In fact, I'd wager if Komisarek played to his strength as a fighter (which is to manhandle, tire out the opponent, then land a few big shots) ... he'd have won that fight.

Look at the smaller Tim Gleason beat Lucic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sGgu8LPdCs

In close proximity, Lucic doesn't really fare all that well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVr6jUGI79c

He didn't lose that, but took more shots than he gave, I'd say.

Lucic vs. Ruutu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5GBtqhXBk

The much smaller Ruutu loses, of course, but notice Lucic tired himself out toward the end and Ruutu, had he been stronger or had a better reach, could've really pounced at that opportunity.

Lucic actually reminds me a little of Souray in how he fights.

Old
11-23-2008, 08:40 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. Lucic is not a great fighter; Komisarek's just worse. In fact, I'd wager if Komisarek played to his strength as a fighter (which is to manhandle, tire out the opponent, then land a few big shots) ... he'd have won that fight.

Look at the smaller Tim Gleason beat Lucic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sGgu8LPdCs

In close proximity, Lucic doesn't really fare all that well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVr6jUGI79c

He didn't lose that, but took more shots than he gave, I'd say.

Lucic vs. Ruutu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5GBtqhXBk

The much smaller Ruutu loses, of course, but notice Lucic tired himself out toward the end and Ruutu, had he been stronger or had a better reach, could've really pounced at that opportunity.

Lucic actually reminds me a little of Souray in how he fights.
In all three of those fights, he went in with a broken nose, which is going to effect the way you do business.

In the Ruutu fight, of course he was tired. He was at the tail end of a minute long shift on the ice when Ruutu came after him and forced him to fight. Lucic gave it to Ruutu for a solid minute long fight. Minute long shift + minute long fight = tired hockey player. That's pretty good stamina.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Mue

This obsession with Lucic is really annoying.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Iwishihadacup

True

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Yeah. Well, I like the guy, so I'm interested in how he plays. He's a good enough fighter too.

Old
11-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
In all three of those fights, he went in with a broken nose, which is going to effect the way you do business.

In the Ruutu fight, of course he was tired. He was at the tail end of a minute long shift on the ice when Ruutu came after him and forced him to fight. Lucic gave it to Ruutu for a solid minute long fight. Minute long shift + minute long fight = tired hockey player. That's pretty good stamina.
True, and thanks for chiming in with more context.

I think my point remains, though: Komisarek fought the way Lucic fights best. Komisarek didn't try to use his longer reach, nor did he play to his core strength advantage. I think Lucic's got the harder punch and the quicker hands, so keeping at the optimal reach for Lucic is less than rational.

When you see how Komisarek fights Andre Roy, or Brashear (admitted wrestling match, which Komisarek fared OK in), or Godard, or Hartnell (granted, he's a light middleweight) ... he can fight those guys to his advantage. Even Chris Neil. Point is, he could fight Lucic in a smarter fashion.

Old
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
We are slowly but surely becoming Bruins fans......concentrating on fighting....going for moral victories.....insulting people.....

We've had better days to say the frickin least....That team better start playing much better and more consistant 'cause that board won't be fun in the near future...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We are slowly but surely becoming Bruins fans......concentrating on fighting....going for moral victories.....insulting people.....

We've had better days to say the frickin least....That team better start playing much better and more consistant 'cause that board won't be fun in the near future...
Ah, no. Lucic is a different beast. He's intriguing. It's not seeking moral victories so much as facing off against a unique player. Really, I can't think of another player in the league like Lucic right now.

Old
11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
AllCanadienFan

[QUOTE=Blind Gardien;16465711]How much better is Erskine than Alex Henry? I'm thinking some. But if you just want a bottom-pairing tough guy, we could just recall Henry, maybe?

Erskine's is -40 for his NHL career according to the Capitals web page. Don't think this is what we need.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:14 AM
TheWhiteTiger

Why trade for Erskine when we have Henry waiting in the minors?

TheWhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:24 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Ah, no. Lucic is a different beast. He's intriguing. It's not seeking moral victories so much as facing off against a unique player. Really, I can't think of another player in the league like Lucic right now.
Sorry but I am not seeing that. We are giving this guy way more attention than he deserves. While he was "chasing" Komi to settle this imaginary score, he was the one who was being put off whatever game he has.

We play our game and it forces him to respond to us. He really isn't all that special

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Sorry but I am not seeing that. We are giving this guy way more attention than he deserves. While he was "chasing" Komi to settle this imaginary score, he was the one who was being put off whatever game he has.

We play our game and it forces him to respond to us. He really isn't all that special
Well, if he's not special, what's another player in the league like him?

I'm not saying he's a star player or even a first-line player. I don't believe he is and I don't know if he'll ever be one. But I think he's a scoring line player who's a very good fighter, a great hitter, a hard worker, and someone who's improved his game by leaps and bounds every year since being drafted (well, two years...).

That's special, in my view.

I think the fact that Carbonneau put Laraque out there to shadow him signifies how special he is. Or the fact that he and Komisarek had great battles demonstrated the fact that Lucic is special.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I'd say he's the only forward in the league right now that could become a "real" powerforward. He's a beast, that's for sure.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Mue

Quote:
Yeah. Well, I like the guy, so I'm interested in how he plays. He's a good enough fighter too.
I like him as well and in no way was my comment meant to suggest that Lucic is not an intriguing player, but rather, that the thread after thread of discussion regarding Lucic, Laraque and Komisarek is a tad redundant.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Amen. Who cares already.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:18 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post

Lucic lost his fight againt Erskine because Erskine Jersey was'nt tied up.
Lucic did'nt do well against the fights mentioned above because he had a broken nose.
Lucic did'nt fight Laraque because he fought the night before and is little hands were hurting him and his coach told him not to fight.

Which excuses are coming next?

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Analyzer

I hate Lucic as much as the next habs fan, but i,m pretty certain is Erskine and Lucic were to go at it again, Erskine would lose.

On top of that, Erskine is a terrible hockey player. We need another defenceman, top 4 ish. Maybe O'Bryne would fair good against him, but imo, O'Bryne is a decent hitter, but doesn't like to fight.

Lats, kostop, begin and Broth would all lose.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I wish we had Lucic.. the guy is a beast. He's Sean Avery with skills.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote