HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2008-09 - Kings Manchester Monarchs (AHL) Update Thread

Old
11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
hockeynutz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
Pumped for that one. First Monarchs game!

there might be a few monarchs fans there - but there's no "organized" trip this year.

have a blast!!

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:44 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I know they are at different levels of competition but i'm really starting to like Zatkoff and Jones more than Bernier or Quick

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I know they are at different levels of competition but i'm really starting to like Zatkoff and Jones more than Bernier or Quick
Ha, you're ****ing nuts.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:09 AM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Ha, you're ****ing nuts.
agreed.

I dont get to watch Monarchs game, but from everything I have read... the team kind of sucks this year, especially defensively. I am just glad we are at the point that we can be excited for either Bernier, Quick, Zatkoff, Taylor, Rowat or Jones oh and some swedish guy named Ersberg.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 06:05 AM
King Blazer

The Monarchs were on the win side of a shootout beating Norfolk 5-4 last night.

Bernier was in goal so his record goes to 2-1-2...

Purcell scored with about 3:30 left in the game to tie it...

Moulson has 3-goals and an assist (4-pts.) in the past 2-games. He's played 3-games since being returned by the Kings...

1. NOR Simek, (3) (Jones, Boyle), 3:49
1. MCH Moulson, (3) (Murray, Drewiske), 18:39
2. NOR Szczechura, (7) (Hutchinson, Smolenak), 0:35
2. MCH Gauthier, (3) (Purcell, Moulson), 4:59
2. NOR Smolenak, (6) (Segal, Smaby), 6:47
2. NOR Smolenak, (7) (Heward, Segal), 19:11 (PP)
3. MCH Lewis, (3) (Parse, Drewiske), 3:24
3. MCH Purcell, (3) (Gauthier, Piskula), 16:29

That is former Kings defenseman Jamie Heward on the score sheet for Norfolk...

Zeiler did not play and will not play this weekend. He re-injured his groin in practice this week. It's likely hell stay in Manchester to rehab but unknown if they'll recall him to LA and place him on their IR or waiver him to Manchester. Whereas he's on a conditioning assignment, typically he'd be recalled to the NHL after 2-weeks. He was loaned here on 11/3 so this coming Monday will be day 14...

The Monarchs play Norfolk again tonight...

Last edited by King Blazer: 11-15-2008 at 06:16 AM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:35 AM
sueroe

Nice to see Moulson have immediate success after being sent down, and some much needed help for the Monarchs.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
deano

It totally sucks for Moulson, who should be trying to prove his worth in the NHL, but it is the best move for the organization's developmental curve. Moulson brings a proven record, and familiarity to a disjointed team. Maybe it takes Moulson another year to make it, but his value to the Monarchs this year is much greater than that of the Kings.

Losing Ellis was a big blow. He would have given the Monarchs the veteran depth they needed, and be someone who could set the pace for the young players. To have a successful farm system, you need those players on the cusp of making it to set the tone of how the team competes.

Piskula is a spare part right now, and seems to be on a longer developmental curve. The Kings should swap him while he still has some potential for a veteran (24-27) left wing AHL prospect. I don't have any possibilities dreamed up, but it would rid the Monarchs of one too many defenseman, and fill a need upfront in many ways.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:35 AM
King Blazer

Monarchs lose 2-1 with 4-seconds left!

Quick really kept them in the game and then in an instant, his misplay behind the net, puck stolen and buried by Norfolk ended it .

Earlier in the game, Quick was the first guy out of a scrum in his crease swinging and drove a guy that is much bigger than he is into the corner with multiple blocker pad jabs to the throat.

The Monarchs are playing incredibly boring defensive hockey and not very well. They had TWO SHOTS in the entire third period last night. TWO SHOTS in a tie game! They had seven shots in the second period! NINE SHOTS at the opponent's net in 40-mins of hockey!!!

It's just painful to watch. Thankfully that aside from the home game on the day after Thanksgiving they're on the road until December 5th. Not a team playing a game or style that's worth watching at this point. I've been to four games, paid for one of them and I've already overpaid!

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Ollie Weeks

Good game tonight against Hamilton. 4-2 win! Great first game experience. My girlfriend said I looked like a fat kid in a candy shop watching the Monarchs. I didn't know what to say to that.

Sat in front of some of Westgarth's relatives, they were bummed to hear he wasn't in the lineup. They overheard me talking about the Monarchs and asked me why he wasn't playing (for whatever reason). I had no ideas other than mabye a bruised hand or something so they leaned over the glass next to our seats at the visitor's bench to ask some guy where "our cousin Kevin" was and (my jaw drops) it turns out to be Dean Lombardi standing 3 feet away watching the warmup! I think they thought he was the coach or something, he seemed a little confused at the question. Turns out he was a scratch to get Clune into the lineup. DL had a chat with Morris - I think it was him anyways - and then disappeared back into the tunnel as quickly as he'd appeared.

Moulson and Purcell are quite good together. Moulson gets rewarded for getting his hands dirty in the corners and in front of the net and Purcell at times makes everyone else appear to be in slow motion. Purcell I noticed wasn't as involved in the corners as I would have hoped, but he was on the PK, so thats gotta count for something.

Voynov looked really good. Made very few mistakes, liked lugging the puck up the ice and scored on a beauty slapshot during the PP. I'm not sure if if he was this good or the underwhelming nature of the rest of the defense helped distinguish him. But I was definitely impressed. Martinez didn't play, I was hoping to see him.

I was glad to see Lewis performimg well. Solid on the PP and PK, just seemed to chip in a little everywhere. Not afraid of the physical stuff, either.

Bernier was solid. Made it all look very very easy and stopped everything he should have. Both of his goals allowed were the fault of Drew Bagnall, who consistently made me nervous in the defensive zone to be perfectly honest.

Clune is a maniac. First shift and he fought some dude who had at least 6 inches on him and held his own. Good way to introduce yourself.

Azevedo got 3 assists in his debut! Anyone know if he was hurt or something before this? Wow he seemed to be everywhere! I knew he was small, but jesus. I really hope his point production can give him a shot at the pro level.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:16 AM
jg2017

How come Martinez didn't play?

jg2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:59 AM
hockeynutz

Azevedo broke his wrist a couple weeks before training camp. Last night was his first game back.

Glad you got to see a win - they're few & far between.

With any luck, this road trip will get them playing for the name on the front of their jerseys, not the one on the back.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2017 View Post
How come Martinez didn't play?
Beats me, he skated in the warmup. I guess he was a game-time decision for some reason.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 06:24 PM
mbar

If I'm not mistaken you can watch the Monarch's play on Saturday morning at 10am PST if you get directv and their sports package.

I happen to get this and the Monarchs game is scheduled to be shown on Fox Sports OH (channel #660 on directv.) I'm going to record it and check out our future kings...

Monarchs vs Lake Erie Monsters

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Fat Elvis

So far it's 2-0 Monarchs
Azededo and Voynov with the goals. Not a bad pro start for Azevedo.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
So far it's 2-0 Monarchs
Azededo and Voynov with the goals. Not a bad pro start for Azevedo.
It would be nice if he was Cammi II.......just wishful thinking I guess.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarloewen View Post
If I'm not mistaken you can watch the Monarch's play on Saturday morning at 10am PST if you get directv and their sports package.

I happen to get this and the Monarchs game is scheduled to be shown on Fox Sports OH (channel #660 on directv.) I'm going to record it and check out our future kings...

Monarchs vs Lake Erie Monsters
Thanks for the heads up. I've set my DVR to record.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 04:47 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Monarchs beat Lake Erie 1-0 in the SO. Bernier with the shutout and blanked all LE SO skaters.

Crazy Clune didn't play today. I think he might've gotten injured in a scrum in yesterdays game.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00 View Post
Monarchs beat Lake Erie 1-0 in the SO. Bernier with the shutout and blanked all LE SO skaters.
Bernier is getting hot, but let me guess, Quick will be in net next game. Ride the hot hand damnit!

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Luuuc20

sounds like Bernier is playing well, hopefully DL waives or trades Labarbera, calls up Bernier to share time with Ersberg and allows Quick to develop in Manchester

Luuuc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
bleedblue94

what is the plan w bernier? is he most likely going to spend the whole season in manchetser?

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
what is the plan w bernier? is he most likely going to spend the whole season in manchetser?
Unless there's an injury or trade at the NHL level, I'd expect Bernier to be a Monarch all year.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Omni Owl

How has Voynov looked? I'm curious.

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Johnny Utah

Why isn't Westgarth playing? I saw some of Crosty's fights on youtube and he is getting killed.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Why isn't Westgarth playing? I saw some of Crosty's fights on youtube and he is getting killed.
He is playing.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I believe he's been scratched the last few games in favor of Crazy Clune

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote