HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Solid effort but Habs lose 3-2 in SO

Old
11-23-2008, 02:51 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
After watching Lucic's goal a few times, while O'Byrne getting burned by Kessel is the most obvious mistake, I think the most costly one of the entire play is Kovy's ridiculously bad positioning in the defensive zone. Had he played Lucic instead of taking a stroll through the slot the would not have been a goal. He needs to learn how to backcheck. For a guy being used to frequently on the PK you'd think such a simple thing as backchecking could be done.

Kovalev was just as responsible as O'Byrne for that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Even a hater needs to give the Canadiens credit for tying the game back up late in the 3rd quarter.

Certainly this is no particular set back for the Canadiens, which means it really isn't a major victory for the Bruins either. It was just one more installment of the old rivalry.
That's pretty well said. That's how I feel about the game.

Last edited by Sined: 11-23-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

since I got here late and don't feel like reading through over 100 posts I'll just give you my take on the night. Personally I think this is the best game we've played since our 4-0 win against the sens. We out hit the bruins and generally outplayed them. We didn't get the win but I'll take a shootout loss over a 6-1 bludgeoning anyday. Plus we also proved Lucic is a little *****.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 11-23-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Circumvention
Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
6th game in a row that the Habs didnt score more than 2 goals.
We NEED to trade Kovalev....He's killing every line he's on. We also need a PP QB desperately.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:00 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Really don't have ANY respect for Lucic, honestly (as i'm sure you don't for Ribeiro, and neither do most of us for that matter). I wouldn't put him on our roster any higher than maybe third line permanently, just cuz Lats has a ways to develop (so would take his spot). Once our skilled guys start getting their bounces, it'll be lights out, and lucic's upside, whatever that is will be long forgotten. To address point 2: I bet you wish you had Saku Koivu on your team, or for that matter Mike Komisarek or Carey Price, could go on a couple more i think. Carbo's plan was a good one IMO. That line actually DID create chances and lets forget for a second that plek's line SUCKS these days; Koivu and Tanguay anyway play between themselves (which usually works out) and Laraque shut down Lucic as well as kept the puck in the zone for Koivu and Tangs. This is actually one of the GOOD Carbo coaching moves. If Kovalev was Kovalev tonight, the plan would look genius. Carbo can't control that. Maybe make another warrior video or something. Practice those one handed top corner shots. Funny how a Wheeler puck mishandle turns into bruins defeat habs. hardly. we played better. if we play like this consistently, we are a much better team than the Bs. Give them this, they seem to be able to finish their chances, something we are exasperatingly incapable of doing.
I don't care what any Bruin fan says the Koivu line with Laraque spent more time in the offensive zone. Laraque created a lot of trouble in front of the Bruin's net while Tanguay and Koivu got some decent chances. Without Laraque in the lineup we would of seen more Lucic running around hitting players and Chara's usually dirty plays as well. Both Chara and Lucic were virtually silent in the hitting and elbowing department tonight. Bob Probert used to play on a line with Yzerman and Yzerman was happy having one of the meanest enforcers ever giving him space to make plays. Probie picked up a lot of garbage goals in front of the net during the 80's with Yzerman while most Dman were to scared to even touch Probert. Yzerman is better than anyone the Bruins or Canadiens have on their current rosters.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:06 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
We NEED to trade Kovalev....He's killing every line he's on. We also need a PP QB desperately.
he literally is...when he was on the Saku line for the 2+ games, forget that the line didn't register a point, Tanguay didn't even get a shot on goal...now on the Higg Plek line, i've never seen the 2 be more useless...

what does carbo do? give this guy 24+ mins of ice time and first in the shootout...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:08 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchandgrab View Post
Gotcha, cool. I think (hope?) that if Carbo uses this same technique next time around Lucic will handle it differently. Not necessarily take the fighting bait, but will maybe lure Laraque into bad positions, opening up his linemates to make plays. Sort of play the role of decoy to an extent. Lucic is the better skater (not that he's the fastest guy in the world), so he can afford to draw Georges away and then be able to jump back into the play, leaving Laraque in the dust. Who knows? I guess we'll see another interesting chapter next meeting no matter what. No matter how it plays out, it's sure to be "interesting" LOL
It doesn't matter if Lucic is faster, he can still be shadowed by Laraque and almost completely contained. I remember the playoffs where Stevenson and Malakhov were used to shadow Jagr. Jagr was faster than Stevenson but he just couldn't get lose enough to use his speed and if he did then Malakhov would finish him off. Jagr ended up virtually crying on the bench when the Habs won the series after Stevenson had nailed him after a tough series. When Komi is back I would use Laraque and Komi to do the same thing to Lucic, just slowly wear and tear him apart until he starts crying on the bench. If I were other teams I would look at Carbo's technique to shadow Lucic with an enforcer and take him off of his hitting game and make him look over his shoulder all night.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
JrHockeyFan

Unfortunately because of Centre Ice problems I didn't get to see more than the last 5 minutes of the game after the Hawks/Leafs game. Quite frustrating really. CJAD radio only for the rest of it

Personally I think occasionally putting BGL on the first line is fine so long as it is not done to distraction. I don't know how long it went on, so that is all I can say about it.

Every other word in talking about this game (and others) seems to be about Lucic. if I thought he was that good a hockey player to allow so much distraction it might be okay. He's not really good enough to command so much attention. If he steps out of line then BGL should deal with him immediately. No invitation, just get it out of the way. The mistake is in letting the other guy dictate when and where

Quite frankly if we get back to our game I think the shoe will be on the other foot. Make them react to us.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:33 AM
LeMAD

Considering we are in a cold streak and that they are playing their best hockey since the start of the franchise, we played a really good game. With a regular level of confidence, we would have won 5-2.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:38 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Considering we are in a cold streak and that they are playing their best hockey since the start of the franchise, we played a really good game. With a regular level of confidence, we would have won 5-2.
Hopefully our worst hockey is now behind us. Take the point and move on. I have tickets to see the Bruins on Super Sunday and the Pens after that. I hope we are firing on all cylinders by then. We play our game we win these games.

Old
11-23-2008, 10:39 AM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Is it only me but Higgins has not done much this season beside is 3 goals game.
The only thing i hear when Higgins is on the ice is "Higgins miss the goal" , " Higgins shots wide" , "Higgins misses the shot on the pass" "Higgins..."

Get him out of here, I dont care if people like him, there is D'Agostini or Chiphura in Hamilton. Get a guy like Robidas and a 3rd round pick for Higgins
Anyone playing with Kovalev this year looks useless. They never get the puck (see Andrei).

Higgins is being wasted on that line and should be back with Koivu and Tangay, where he's most effective. Put Sergei back with Lang and Andrei and Guillaume with Pleks and finally we'll have 3 decent lines for the first time this year. Then we'll just need to gain our confidence back and... another defenseman won't hurt either. O'Byrne and Brisebois can't fill those roles.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Turboflex*

Remember 2006-2007 towards the end of the year, Kovalev was moved onto the 4th line, he actually played his best hockey of the year then when the pressure was off, and he was the go-to guy while his linemates were bangers who didn't want the puck, made room for him, weren't afraid to go for the net hard, and created turnover chances with hits.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kovalev with Lapierre and Begin/Kosto, I think it could be good for him, and definitely better for Higgins/Plekanics as Kovalev is too much of a puck hog and they're wasted with him.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Playing with Kovalev is bad for your point production right now. As long as he plays with an edge and has scoring chances like tonight, I don't mind him. Andrei should be with Plekanec and Higgins, and Kovalev should be on the third with Lang and Sergei. It would be the logical lines, but too logical for Carbo.

Lats-Koivu-Tanguay
Higgins-Plekanec-Akost
Sergei-Lang-Kovalev

It's so pretty. Whyyyyyyyyyy carbo whyyyyyyyyy?
That'd be good too.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:16 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Kovalev despite his break-ins in the O zone is totally useless. And put freaking AKost on the Point, at least there's gonna be somebody shooting the DAMN puck at the net.
+1
has to be done

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:26 AM
clutchandgrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
It doesn't matter if Lucic is faster, he can still be shadowed by Laraque and almost completely contained. I remember the playoffs where Stevenson and Malakhov were used to shadow Jagr. Jagr was faster than Stevenson but he just couldn't get lose enough to use his speed and if he did then Malakhov would finish him off. Jagr ended up virtually crying on the bench when the Habs won the series after Stevenson had nailed him after a tough series. When Komi is back I would use Laraque and Komi to do the same thing to Lucic, just slowly wear and tear him apart until he starts crying on the bench. If I were other teams I would look at Carbo's technique to shadow Lucic with an enforcer and take him off of his hitting game and make him look over his shoulder all night.
Good theory, not sure about the Jagr analogy. Jagr was one of the softest players in the game, despite his size. And as far as taking Lucic "off his hitting game", you do realize he had a game high 9 hits last night, right? Say what you will about Lucic, but he is an "honest" player. He doesn't cheap shot guys etc. He hits hard and often, but he hits clean.
I'll bow out of your guys' thread now before I get accused of trolling. Not my intention.

clutchandgrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:34 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Good theory, not sure about the Jagr analogy. Jagr was one of the softest players in the game, despite his size. And as far as taking Lucic "off his hitting game", you do realize he had a game high 9 hits last night, right? Say what you will about Lucic, but he is an "honest" player. He doesn't cheap shot guys etc. He hits hard and often, but he hits clean.
I'll bow out of your guys' thread now before I get accused of trolling. Not my intention.
Lucic was far less, shall we say, exuberant last night...looking at the stats for hits is as chicken bleep as Lucic was last night. Watching the game it was obvious to anyone that knows the game that Laraques effect on Lucic was very evident.

Oh, and clean? His much celebrated hit on the Leaf wasn't clean...he left his feet which is dirty. I'm still shocked that this was never mentioned.

Dude is a chicken. Bruin fan should stop mentioning him in the same breath as Neely. Neely never picked his spots.

Last edited by LesCanadiens: 11-23-2008 at 11:46 AM.
LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Magic33

Guys, I hate to say it, but i really think Sundin would be the boost this team needed. It would help on ice for sure, but off ice as well. It would give the habs a boost of confidence. Hopefully Gainey can get it done.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Magic33

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I know a habs Dman went down last night in the 3rd, with either a stick or puck to the eye. Anyone see who it was, and what the status is?

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Also, I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I know a habs Dman went down last night in the 3rd, with either a stick or puck to the eye. Anyone see who it was, and what the status is?
It was Hamrlik (puck to the face) - Boone is saying that he is fine.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Nitehowl

Just a thought....Kovalev is such a puck hog and individual type player ...why not make a line with BGL and LANG with KOVY...Lang is slow so Kovy can do all the skating and dipsy doodling while BGL takes up space that is wasted if Higgins ,Lats , Akost , Pleks are playing with Kovy.

Just look at how AKost is playing once he was taken away from that line and put on his natural RW.

I also think Sundin would help this team alot.

Why not bring up HENRY from Hamilton for the next Ruins game to play D. And what about giving BELLE a shot for a couple games. He seems to be playing well in Hamilton.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:00 PM
la25ecoupe

Was there any open net miss yesterday?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Megaforce

I understand that D-men often get caught up and someone's supposed to cover (usually the centerman) but jeez Cube wasn't even skating hard to get back. The second I saw Bouillon looking lost wandering around aimlessly deep in the Boston zone I knew we had a problem.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Guillermo

Send a message via AIM to Guillermo Send a message via Yahoo to Guillermo
We had a great game, IMO we outchanced and outplayed the Bruins. What worries me is that guys like Plekanec and Higgins are really not getting any chances. I just wonder if it's Kovy's puck hogging habits that contributes to their cold streak.

I also wants a PP with fast passing and Kovy just slows it down so much.

Guillermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:35 PM
guest1467

Anyone else see Koivu just absolutely paste Wideman(I think it was Wideman)? I got a pretty big chuckle out of that.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:09 PM
pbc37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Lucic was far less, shall we say, exuberant last night...looking at the stats for hits is as chicken bleep as Lucic was last night. Watching the game it was obvious to anyone that knows the game that Laraques effect on Lucic was very evident.

Oh, and clean? His much celebrated hit on the Leaf wasn't clean...he left his feet which is dirty. I'm still shocked that this was never mentioned.

Dude is a chicken. Bruin fan should stop mentioning him in the same breath as Neely. Neely never picked his spots.
laraques also had a huge effect on your team as he was playing alot of minutes. Sure he hurt Lucic's play but he hurt the habs more as he was taking more ice away from more skilled players. And why would lucic(a first liner) drop them with a goon whos only purpose is to fight. And Thornton challenged laraque a few times and laraque never awnsered so i guess laraque is a "chicken bleep" too.

pbc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Sorry but trolling is exactly what it looks like. Drop the act