HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The BIG problem in my opinion!

Old
11-23-2008, 02:36 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
The BIG problem in my opinion!

Guys (and girls)

The BIG problem in my opinion with the Habs is scoring this season and for the following reasons:

1) Little to no PP goals this season.
2) Kovalev not playing like he was last season.
3) Lack of consistency from key players like Kostitsyn, Kovalev and Higgins.

Now, we have seen the same story for the past few weeks where we are down by a goal, tie it up in the last few minutes and go to overtime or a shootout to either win or lose.

Price is playing good hockey in my opinion, a goalie that averages less than 2.50 (which he is) is considered in the upper 10 usually, now if we can get something clicking and put together those 4 to 5 goal games like last season then we can be winning these games! There is NO reason why a team like the Habs shouldn't be scoring at least 4 goals on a "lucky" goalie like Tim Thomas and Alex Auld.

Anyways, that is my opinion, and hopefully they pick it up! Especially on the PP and the only way to do that is to get Kovalev going because if Kovalev isn't going the PP isn't going and the Habs lack luster at the end of the day.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:39 PM
The n00b King *

Yeah, the PP has been blowing hard.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:43 PM
le_sean

Those would be problemS.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Year 101

Well the thing with Montreal is we can never find a happy medium. Last year we could only score on the PP and were frustrated with our 5 on 5 play now are 5 on 5 play is striving and our PP is sucking.

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
la25ecoupe

THE solution: AK46 on the point.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:06 PM
overlords
Hfboards

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
THE solution: AK46 on the point.
That would be a nice start. Plus I would like to see the PP get back to the basics. The PP looks good until you see that they are barely getting any quality shots on goal. They should stop trying for that "perfect play".

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Fire Brunet*

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
LOL

We were thinking the same thing

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
1 is largely the result of 2...

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
OneSharpMarble

Like it was the last two seasons this team lives or dies with Kovalev. When he is on he scores and is a constant threat and creates space for his wingers. When he is off he hogs the puck, has massive amounts of giveaways and has a non existant work ethic that seems to suck the life out of the team.

When Kovalev is gone this team will begin playing like they should, no more relying on one person.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Lucius

I think the solution in Hab land is to finally give up some of this absurd prospect depth in a trade for a legit #4, puck moving, point shot defenseman.

Brisebois is best suited as a #7 who pitches in when needed, not a regular player. O'Byrne would be well served to be insulted as a purely #6 guy.

Thus, the five slot would belong to Bouillon or Gorges. The other moved as part of the cap offset to bring in an offensively minded guy who can play on the second pairing with Hammer.

My targets would be Joe Corvo (although not him, since I doubt he wants to go back to Canada), Tom Preissing or perhaps, Cam Barker.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Habnot

I guess Pleks gets a free ride? Talk about a player that has been invisible this year.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I think the solution in Hab land is to finally give up some of this absurd prospect depth in a trade for a legit #4, puck moving, point shot defenseman.

Brisebois is best suited as a #7 who pitches in when needed, not a regular player. O'Byrne would be well served to be insulted as a purely #6 guy.

Thus, the five slot would belong to Bouillon or Gorges. The other moved as part of the cap offset to bring in an offensively minded guy who can play on the second pairing with Hammer.
I'm only for that as a deadline deal going into the palyoffs. If we let O'Byrne play regularly he should only get better.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Plekanetzz

THE problem is the pointmen on the PP.

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:29 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

My targets would be Joe Corvo (although not him, since I doubt he wants to go back to Canada), Tom Preissing or perhaps, Cam Barker.
alelouia

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I'm only for that as a deadline deal going into the palyoffs. If we let O'Byrne play regularly he should only get better.
True practice does eventually make perfect *crosses fingers*. But can we continue waiting for him to eventually find his game at the NHL level, without it continuing to backfire?

We saw problems with our defense before Komi's injury. Now that Komi's out for awhile, our defense has been fully exposed and quite frankly scares the crap out of me.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:37 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
took the words out of my mouth, and made it into a picture.

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Great picture, but I have to say, I always preferred this one:

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Habs4Life

Habs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanetzz View Post
THE problem is the pointmen on the PP.
ding ding ding

The PP has been the key to our success in the last few years, and the key to that has been the pointman playing with Markov. Giving defenses two threats to worry about instead of one is what made our PP the best in the league. Without a strong pointman, defenses only have to cover Markov, and our PP goes nowhere.

07-08 Mark Streit 81GP 13G 49A 62P
06-07 Sheldon Souray 81GP 26G 38P 64P

When Streit went AWOL during the playoffs last season, so did the PP. We haven't replaced his presence, and like I said before, we ethier have to find someone who can take his spot, or change our entire game plan to find a way to rely less on the PP.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:14 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
It used to be just Defense. Now its consistent Point Producing. Koivu, Tanguay, (insert linemate here) cannot do it by themselves each game. Markov just started to pick it up again last game but common, 3 offensive lines and nothing to show for it. Also our Defense is seriously lacking even with Komi in the lineup. So I think we have some new holes to address.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:12 PM
goalchenyuk

the big problem in my opinion is that the PP needs more drive ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
ding ding ding

The PP has been the key to our success in the last few years, and the key to that has been the pointman playing with Markov. Giving defenses two threats to worry about instead of one is what made our PP the best in the league. Without a strong pointman, defenses only have to cover Markov, and our PP goes nowhere.

07-08 Mark Streit 81GP 13G 49A 62P
06-07 Sheldon Souray 81GP 26G 38P 64P

When Streit went AWOL during the playoffs last season, so did the PP. We haven't replaced his presence, and like I said before, we ethier have to find someone who can take his spot, or change our entire game plan to find a way to rely less on the PP.
Actually, when we had Souray, people hugely underestimated Markov and thought Shelly was the man making it work.

Last Streit in the POs, Streit wasn't the only one that went AWOL, Kovalev got some big coverage as well, Markov wasn't playing that great, A.Kost and Pleks disappeared a bit..
We had a lot of problems, but Streit was not the key of our PP.

The problem with our PP is that we lost 1 guy that was on it last year, but for some reason, Carbo decided to completely change the roles of everybody on it on top of moving players around.

So even if we only lost 1 guy, it looks like we have completely different PP units.

I think Carbs screwed early with that big time. Starting with Kovy on the left side and Markov on right point with Tangs on left was a big mistake. Had we just put A.Kost instead of Streit's place I'm sure we would have a better PP % today.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Actually, when we had Souray, people hugely underestimated Markov and thought Shelly was the man making it work.

Last Streit in the POs, Streit wasn't the only one that went AWOL, Kovalev got some big coverage as well, Markov wasn't playing that great, A.Kost and Pleks disappeared a bit..
We had a lot of problems, but Streit was not the key of our PP.

The problem with our PP is that we lost 1 guy that was on it last year, but for some reason, Carbo decided to completely change the roles of everybody on it on top of moving players around.

So even if we only lost 1 guy, it looks like we have completely different PP units.

I think Carbs screwed early with that big time. Starting with Kovy on the left side and Markov on right point with Tangs on left was a big mistake. Had we just put A.Kost instead of Streit's place I'm sure we would have a better PP % today.
This.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote