HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade Kovalev?

Old
11-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Kovalev+O'Byrne for Little and a 6th

I wish... I wish

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
When Souray left everyone though "Geez our PP is going to be terrible now" but it turned out that everyone stepped up and we kicked ass because everyone was helping out and doing their job. We became even more offensive and hard to stop because we werent relying on Souray anymore. Same goes for Kovy, if he goes the guys would step up.
or like when people said our PP would be fine without Streit

Kovy's value on the trade market is nil. We'd get a 1st pick at most from a desperate team.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
or like when people said our PP would be fine without Streit

Kovy's value on the trade market is nil. We'd get a 1st pick at most from a desperate team.
We would be fine without Streit if Kovalev didn't leave too!

I would gladly trade Kovalev for Streit straight up right now though.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
smon

Quote:

Please don't tell me you just said that. Let's stay within reason.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:27 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Please don't tell me you just said that. Let's stay within reason.
Why not? The guy would fix all our problems right now.

Streit can play both forward and defense. On D he is better than Breezer and kicks him back into 7th spot. On forward he can play on the PP and shoots all the time which is opposite to the rest of the team who never get enough passes. No more puck hogging and he would mesh great with Koivu and Tanguay.

No sense talking about it though because he is the Islanders best player and they wouldnt trade him for anything other than massive over pay.

Old
11-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Kovalev+O'Byrne for Little and a 6th

I wish... I wish
Are you kidding? I'd take on Tobias Enstrom first, what a stud.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Komisarek is useless this year

Trade him too ?

what about Pacioretty ?! his maximum potential is AHL

now guys chill the **** out
Quote of the thread...

Trading Kovalev for a good defencemen would be excellent if we can replace Kovy's offence with either Sundin or another players like Gaborik...

The way Kovalev's playing this year, it's pretty obvious his name will pop out in trade talks...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 05:19 PM
ToysInTheAttic

The problem with Kovalev is he thinks he needs to do it all when he is on the ice, and is trying to do too much to compensate. This is because the Habs are not clicking offensively. Kovalev's poor offensive play is a symptom of the inability of the team to gel offensively.

The reason the Habs have yet to really gel offensively this season imo, is because teams like Boston and Toronto improved by adding youth, and as such, speed. Players like Pleks and Higgins do not seem so fast this year, they are equal in speed to their opposition.

Once the Habs speed is nullified the other teams can focus on smothering a player like Kovy every time he touches the puck, before his linemates can create open space. This is not Kovalev's fault.

I am not worried at all about Kovy's performance thus far. The Habs are still in the thick of things and adjusting to present realities within the conference.

And NO, we don't trade Kovalev.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 05:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
The problem with Kovalev is he thinks he needs to do it all when he is on the ice, and is trying to do too much to compensate. This is because the Habs are not clicking offensively. Kovalev's poor offensive play is a symptom of the inability of the team to gel offensively.

The reason the Habs have yet to really gel offensively this season imo, is because teams like Boston and Toronto improved by adding youth, and as such, speed. Players like Pleks and Higgins do not seem so fast this year, they are equal in speed to their opposition.

Once the Habs speed is nullified the other teams can focus on smothering a player like Kovy every time he touches the puck, before his linemates can create open space. This is not Kovalev's fault.

I am not worried at all about Kovy's performance thus far. The Habs are still in the thick of things and adjusting to present realities within the conference.

And NO, we don't trade Kovalev.
So to summarize...."it's never Kovalev's fault! Leave ALEXEI ALONEEEEE"

Old
11-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
So to summarize...."it's never Kovalev's fault! Leave ALEXEI ALONEEEEE"
pretty much my thoughts

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

What's more problematic is that before, even if he didn't have a good game, the opponents were respecting him too much....he had room to do his plays and make himself benefit from it or make his teamates benefit from it....So far this year, no respect to Kovy whatsoever...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What's more problematic is that before, even if he didn't have a good game, the opponents were respecting him too much....he had room to do his plays and make himself benefit from it or make his teamates benefit from it....So far this year, no respect to Kovy whatsoever...
Speed equilibrium. The opposition is taking away his passing lanes due to perfect coverage. Now, when they rush him there are very few open players compared to last year. So he ends up losing the puck, or keeping the puck, and keeping the puck, and keeping the puck with nowhere to pass it. So he shoots at the net at a covered angle.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Jesus christ did I ever say anything about what he does on off the ice? No, cuz he's a great person off the ice. It's on the ice that he's a heartless piece of ****. His heart isn't in the game, and if you can't see that, you're clearly blind.
Whatever man. I dont even want to argue with you on that. I respect your opinion but i wouldnt call any guy on my favorite team a piece of **** because he's slumping and nothing works for him. I refuse to believe that Kovy is hearthless on the ice who is actually trying to bring the team down for some reasons.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Whatever man. I dont even want to argue with you on that. I respect your opinion but i wouldnt call any guy on my favorite team a piece of **** because he's slumping and nothing works for him. I refuse to believe that Kovy is hearthless on the ice who is actually trying to bring the team down for some reasons.
Kovy's problem throughout his career has always been his questionable hockey sense which sometimes comes off as him playing with no heart.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Agreed.

People read into this too much, it's not that he doesnt have heart or doesn't care. If he goes on a 10-game point streak everyone on here will be giving him a 7 million dollar contract. **** guys.

He sucks right now and i'm a huge Kovy fan and I admit it, he'll bounce back. Trust me.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM
otto bond

Quote:

Come on please....I did to like Streit and even if his start is better then Kovy, where was he in the last year play off? Would I take Streit over Breezer but now that not gonna happen. You have to pass that.

Moving on, guys like Kovy needs good vibes from the fans. Let's hope their not caught up with the Media. Sure management has been firmed in their position. Let's see if we can work true the aches and pains.

All this to say that imho, traded or even consider trading Kovy is a big mistake.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Chomsky

I can tell you one thing. Gainey was at our store today and he didn't seem to be worried at all while buying his stuff. Only fans are pressing panic buttons. Gainey is chill and happy.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I can tell you one thing. Gainey was at our store today and he didn't seem to be worried at all while buying his stuff. Only fans are pressing panic buttons. Gainey is chill and happy.
Or maybe he's not on 24/7... it's still a job and he's probably not as obsessed about the team as most fans...

I doubt he cares about a trade or not while buying spaghetti sauce (or whatever)...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Biggsy

yeah i wouldn't jump the gun on a trade right now he's not the only one struggling offensively...sooner or later he will break out (im hoping) season is still young

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Come on please....I did to like Streit and even if his start is better then Kovy, where was he in the last year play off? Would I take Streit over Breezer but now that not gonna happen. You have to pass that.

Moving on, guys like Kovy needs good vibes from the fans. Let's hope their not caught up with the Media. Sure management has been firmed in their position. Let's see if we can work true the aches and pains.

All this to say that imho, traded or even consider trading Kovy is a big mistake.
Streit, like Markov, was seriously hurt in the playoffs. The fact that he put himself on the line every night in the condition shows where he was in the playoffs. He could hardly shoot the puck because of his injury.

We didn't get knocked out because of Streit. We got knocked for two reasons. Price struggled and Biron was hot.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Or maybe he's not on 24/7... it's still a job and he's probably not as obsessed about the team as most fans...

I doubt he cares about a trade or not while buying spaghetti sauce (or whatever)...
A cap/hat rather.

But still, if my team was really struggling I wouldn't be in a mood to go and spend, and I wouldn't look that happy. Just saying. Sometimes it's tough to split work and life outside work.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Kovy's problem throughout his career has always been his questionable hockey sense which sometimes comes off as him playing with no heart.
I think this man has a point. The reason why a player with Kovy's skillset isn't regularly in the top 10 for scoring is not for lack of heart but rather for lack of hockey sense. I'm not saying he's completely devoid of it, but it's not on an elite level like the rest of his game. Sure, he'll sometimes do amazing passes but I think that's simply because his skills can buy him a split second more to analyze the game than other players would get.

Sometimes things aren't going your way however skilled you may be and Kovy's not doing the right thing to fix it. In my opinion, he's actually trying too hard while he should simply fall back on the basics.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:31 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Streit, like Markov, was seriously hurt in the playoffs. The fact that he put himself on the line every night in the condition shows where he was in the playoffs. He could hardly shoot the puck because of his injury.

We didn't get knocked out because of Streit. We got knocked for two reasons. Price struggled and Biron was hot.
Everyone hurts in the playoff. We got knocked out cause they had a free tickets to slam, hack and push Price. In result, Pice was out of his bubble, and Biron just needed to make the saves. Streit would be better then OB offencivly, but Management thinks that being bigger and stronger in front of Price wil pay come playoff.
We are only on this subjet cause OB is not doing the job. Not helping, our team strugles. Fans start looking at last year to se what was working and Streit did a great job at plugging holes and play the PP where Souray was. It worked, now this season the PP has not won us games so it must mean that Streit was the key last year to all our success. Streit was terrible on D last year. Was amazing on the 3-4 th line and PP. Not sure that if Streit becomes more of an targets during games, Islander fan will cry sooner then later about his Defensive side of things.

Old
11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
I think this man has a point. The reason why a player with Kovy's skillset isn't regularly in the top 10 for scoring is not for lack of heart but rather for lack of hockey sense. I'm not saying he's completely devoid of it, but it's not on an elite level like the rest of his game. Sure, he'll sometimes do amazing passes but I think that's simply because his skills can buy him a split second more to analyze the game than other players would get.

Sometimes things aren't going your way however skilled you may be and Kovy's not doing the right thing to fix it. In my opinion, he's actually trying too hard while he should simply fall back on the basics.
I would agree about the trying to hard. Thinking to much and losing that slit sec to make a play. I think that his hockey sense is fine but sure not a Dr.

Old
11-23-2008, 10:44 PM
totalrecall

What's up with all the rats jumping off the ship?

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote