HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere Groin Injury (Not expected to play vs. Dallas Nov. 24)

Old
11-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayyou1000 View Post
They just had a clip about Briere on Sportsnite. Briere says he's feeling a lot better and is on schedule to practice with the team tomorrow and play in the late in the week games vs Buff and whoever. Good News.................

of course this is all subject to change b/c it's a groin!

Good new nontheless.
Looks like he will be ready for the weekend per Sportsmorning :0)

I hope Vaananen is ready to go against Sabres more then I want Briere.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Sit him another week longer after he's cleared to play. We need him healthy in the last half of the season (+) more than the first.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Sit him another week longer after he's cleared to play. We need him healthy in the last half of the season (+) more than the first.
can't argue.

but it would be nice to pull wins against Sabres and Coyotes. Both teams are not playing very well. We can do this with out Briere but Vaananen would help right about now.

Old
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
can't argue.

but it would be nice to pull wins against Sabres and Coyotes. Both teams are not playing very well. We can do this with out Briere but Vaananen would help right about now.
Ironically, his two former teams.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here is an article from Tim P.

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...183&feedID=695

Quote:
Danny Briere, on the other hand, isn’t a sure bet. He is skating every other day on his own but is still nursing a sore, left groin. Briere would like three days on the ice where he is pain-free before returning to the lineup.

Put it this way. He will err on the side of caution, given he’s already had abdominal surgery only a month ago.

“At this point, this is an injury you don’t want to carry all year, especially early in the season,” Briere said Tuesday. “The team is playing well. You don’t feel as though you have to come back and rush in. I’m really going to go with how good I feel. The same with how I felt with the sports hernia.”

That injury saw Briere miss just 15 days (six games) as he returned to the lineup a week sooner than the “earliest” date the club had given in its original prognosis.

“I don’t want to risk it and play four or five games and have to get out of the lineup again,” he said of his latest injury. “I want to make sure it is healed completely before I come back.”

Briere hopes to practice with the Flyers on Thursday since coach John Stevens will give the team “off” on Wednesday. Briere has seen progress in the last few days.

“It’s a little more frustrating because with the sports hernia surgery, every day I came to the rink, I could do something more than the day before,” Briere said. “The improvement from day to day was huge. I could see a big difference.

“With the groin, it’s frustrating. Two or three days it feels the same. Then a day it jumps up and feels better. Then you sit two or three days without improvement. It’s a little tougher to gauge improvement.”

Old
11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I wanna keep Gagne with Richards.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Briere-Nodl
Upshall-Carter-Lupul

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I wanna keep Gagne with Richards.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Briere-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Nodl
I think its better once you make that switch.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:12 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Ironically, his two former teams.
Did you mean to write coincidentally? I don't see the "irony."

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I think its better once you make that switch.
Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Briere-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Shanny

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Yeah im just not sure we want Briere and Lupul on at the same time

Old
11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
Ironic in the sense that if he doesn't play in Buffalo, any anticipated heckling from the Sabres' faithful would have to be put on hold. Coincidentally works as well as it covers both games as I mentioned.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:15 PM
BeamMeUpshall

Send a message via AIM to BeamMeUpshall
I think if it was any other team besides Buffalo Briere would be sitting out. It's his old team, he obviously wants to play whether he's hurt or not.

BeamMeUpshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 07:21 AM
rayearth

Quote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...irony%20police

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:09 AM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Try using a link to a real dictionary. The urban dictionary is what gets people like yourself in trouble.

I know exactly what irony means and there is nothing ironic about Briere missing scheduled games against his former teams based on an injury he sustained a week or so ago.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:35 AM
rayearth

Quote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Try using a link to a real dictionary. The urban dictionary is what gets people like yourself in trouble.

I know exactly what irony means and there is nothing ironic about Briere missing scheduled games against his former teams based on an injury he sustained a week or so ago.
Thanks for the grammar lesson but I know what irony is and I know what a real dictionary is. Apparently you're the one having trouble with the sarcasm area of your brain. Actually, based on your response I bet you didn't even read the link I posted. My point was that was your comment wasn't entirely necessary.

Old
11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

An update on various injuries including Briere's:

From Sam Carchidi...
Quote:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...bres_game.html

The news was mixed on the injury front yesterday.
Center Danny Briere (groin) skated for about 40 minutes before practice and did not sound optimistic about returning Friday in Buffalo.

Defenseman Ossi Vaananen (finger) took part in practice at the Skate Zone in Voorhees but was even more of a long shot to return this weekend.

The most positive news came from enforcer Riley Cote, who is recovering nicely from a mild muscle tear in his left side, suffered during a warm-up routine Nov. 6 in Ottawa.

He practiced yesterday, and coach John Stevens expects the winger to be able to return Nov. 29 in Toronto, the first game in which he is eligible to come off the long-term injury list.

"It kills me watching the games," Cote said. "Just the way the injury happened is kind of embarrassing."

Center Darroll Powe, recovering from a mild concussion, also returned to practice yesterday. He replaced Jared Ross, who was sent down to the Phantoms.

Briere, who has five goals in eight games, hopes to be able to practice with the club tomorrow.

From Ed Moran...
Quote:
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...this_week.html

One thing that also would help would be getting healthy. Ossi Vaananen (broken finger), Riley Cote (torn oblique) and Danny Briere (groin) are still injured, and their status for the weekend varies.

Cote is on long-term injury and will miss at least the next four games. He is skating with the team and healing, but he is not ready yet.

Vaananen probably came back a little early last Thursday in Pittsburgh after having surgery to repair the fracture in his right index finger. He played the first period, then popped all the stitches on his incision and had to leave the game. He may be ready Friday for the game at Buffalo but that is not yet certain.

Briere is skating on his own and would like to play Friday, against his former team. "It's special playing in Buffalo," said Briere, who said he enjoys being booed. "I'd love to play. I was hoping that by [yesterday] I would get a better idea if I had a chance to get in the lineup, but I'm still borderline.

"You want to increase the workout and everyday go a little longer. [Yesterday] we went for about 40 minutes and [today] we'll go a little longer and a little more intense, and Thursday go all out.

"If that works out and that's fine, I might be able to play. But you never know; if [today] there is a setback or it doesn't improve then there's no sense, even though it's Buffalo and I'd like to be in the lineup." *
From Jack McCaffery...
Quote:

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...d170031696.txt

“This is an injury that you don’t want to carry all year, especially early in the season,” Briere said. “The team is playing well. You don’t feel like you have to come in and rush in. I’m really going to go with how good I am going to feel.”

Though Briere has missed the Flyers’ last three games, there were whispers that he would practice Tuesday and be available to face his former team, the Sabres, as soon as Friday in Buffalo. However, he did not skate with the Flyers during their formal practice at the Skate Zone, and instead went through five hours of physical therapy.

Now? Put it this way: The Sabres fans who bought tickets to heckle Briere, as they often do, might have to plan for another verbal target.

“I don’t want to risk it,” Briere said. “I don’t want to play four or five games and then have to get back out of the lineup again.”

To that end, Briere has been diligent, skating earlier Tuesday, then being among the last Flyers to leave the Skate Zone after his therapy. An atypical John Stevens work schedule will give the Flyers a day off today. That will allow Briere further recovery time, but no practical work with his teammates.

Briere suggested that he would like to be pain-free for at least three consecutive days before pronouncing himself fit for game action. That still makes a Friday return possible.

“I’m hoping to practice Thursday, if everything keeps improving the way it has been,” he said. “But then again, I really don’t know.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-19-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old
11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Kaktus*

damn, bad news but give rest to both Vaananen and Briere.

Why would you rush Vaananen for that 5 minutes he played against Pittsburgh? I could never understand it.

3 points and I am happy.

Old
11-20-2008, 12:18 PM
rayearth

Briere out for probably another couple games. Vaananen out for probably at least 1. Kalinski will start tomorrow.
http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891

Old
11-23-2008, 02:29 AM
ipayyou1000

He said he should be ready for Monday vs Dallas. Any 100% conformation on this? I believe he'll be back monday just want to have it in words.

ipayyou1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
ipayyou1000

??? anything

ipayyou1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Briere is not expected to play vs. Dallas (from Tim P.)

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...587&feedID=695
Quote:

There aren’t many teams in the National Hockey League that win without their best center in the lineup.

Danny Briere, who was expected to be in the lineup Monday night against the slumping Dallas Stars, remains sidelined with a groin pull that he admits has leveled off to a point where it doesn’t seem to be improving.

Fortunately, for the Flyers, during Briere’s 11-games missed this season – six games for abdominal surgery and five currently because of a left groin pull – the Flyers are 8-2-1.

Credit that to the superb efforts from centers Jeff Carter, Mike Richards and Glen Metropolit, who’ve filled in for Briere, at times.

“Last year it happened a few times when Richards got hurt and Carter emerged and then at the end of the year, Danny got hurt and Carter and Richards really emerged,” said coach John Stevens. “I think it shows the maturity of a Carter and Richards and certainly shows the depth of our team.”
Quote:
Loose pucks
Briere is clearly unhappy about the lack of significant progress in getting back on the ice. “Same as the last few days, frustrating, not much improvement,” Briere said. “There’s nothing I can do.” Briere is unable to push off with any kind of momentum without incurring pain. “If I could circle around all game, I’d be fine,” he said. “I can’t stop and start. I’ve never had an injury as frustrating as this one.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-23-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old
11-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

**** it, sit him out for a while. He plays his best hockey in the playoffs. Let's make sure he rolls into the later part of the season injury free.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
**** it, sit him out for a while. He plays his best hockey in the playoffs. Let's make sure he rolls into the later part of the season injury free.
Agreed. This team has responded well to the injuries so far. Don't rush anyone back.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
HoverCarle*

If hes out much longer we should call up Matsumoto or Ross to play 3rd line C with some offense.

Old
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Briere is not expected to play vs. Dallas (from Tim P.)

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...587&feedID=695
Ugh, this is frustrating. Poor Danny.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote