HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Goalie Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2004, 08:52 PM
goalienut

vCash: 500
Goalie Prospects

I was looking at the UFA list and noticed: There are alot of good goalie prospects.
Sabourin, Damphousse, Centomo, Clemmensen, DesRochers and lots more. Anyway would there be any team interested in a goalie prospect. Minnesota is the first team that pops into my head. And maybe Anaheim. Any others?

Last edited by goalienut: 07-13-2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old
07-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

There's a reason why they are Free Agent. The GM's of all around the league think that they are not good enought to crack the NHL. And by the way, they're starting to be old to be prospects...

Take Damphousse for exemple, he was sign by the Habs to a one year deal + a team option and they didn't use the team option. He can play well in the AHL but nothing more.

And BTW, the goaly that St-Louis aquired is better then any that you mention...

Old
07-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalienut
I was looking at the UFA list and noticed: There are alot of good goalie prospects.
Sabourin, Damphousse, Centomo, Clemmensen, DesRochers and lots more. (So it makes me laugh when I see St. Louis trade for one.)

The goalie prospect that St. Louis traded for -- the one that "makes you laugh" -- is very likely going to be better than all of those guys put together.

Belle for Bacashihua was a swap of former first-rounders who needed a change of scenery, and it was a deal that the Blues made from a position of depth and strength (defense) to shore up a position where they were a little short (goaltending). But you go ahead and "laugh" at that deal if you like...

Besides, there's probably a reason why those guys became UFAs in the first place, don't you think?

Clemmensen is the only one of the bunch that I'd even consider signing if I were Larry Pleau, and at 27, he's the oldest of the group, and he wouldn't be a "prospect" by HF standards anyway.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Leeroy Jenkins

The leafs should load up on some of these prospects, because as of now Ford and Pogge are potential back-ups at best. There always a chance u may find a diamond in the ruff with one of these youngsters.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:17 PM
goalienut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2006
The leafs should load up on some of these prospects, because as of now Ford and Pogge are potential back-ups at best. There always a chance u may find a diamond in the ruff with one of these youngsters.
Amen

Old
07-13-2004, 09:40 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Minnesota COULD use a goaltender, it's not one of their priorities since they need to free up some space to do so.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:58 PM
ATG

Quote:
Well Centomo looked real promising for the Leafs even was ahead of Tellqvist for a time on the Leafs depth chart then he came back to earth

Old
07-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Damphousse would be more then welcome to come back to Cincy and take over starting duties from what apparently will be Eddie Ferhi.
But, I have a feeling Anaheim will wait until the CBA is cleared up before getting a goalie for the AHL. As far as they know, Bryzgalov will be there for another season.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:32 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
An 18 year old is a back-up goalie at best?

A guy that was one of the top rookies in the WHL and has all the tools to become a #1 NHL goaltender... ?

Old
07-13-2004, 11:27 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Ducks will sign someone to play in goal along with Ferhi in Cincy...I was thinking either a veteran AHL goalie for a year(such as Flaherty who went to Vancouver)...or 20-21 yr old FA out of Canadian Juniors who has some potential...These former prospect types (Damphousse, DesRochers, etc.) fit somewhere in between...

Old
07-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
There's a reason why they are Free Agent. The GM's of all around the league think that they are not good enought to crack the NHL. And by the way, they're starting to be old to be prospects...

Take Damphousse for exemple, he was sign by the Habs to a one year deal + a team option and they didn't use the team option. He can play well in the AHL but nothing more.

And BTW, the goaly that St-Louis aquired is better then any that you mention...
You seem a little off with some of your comments. Just because a young goalie is let go doesn't mean every GM thinks he can't cut it. There could be a number of reasons. Salary, depth, ability, etc. In the case of Sabourin, he saw some action this season and has some upside as a solid backup. He just needs the right situation. Calgary wasn't that. He was going to get passed by on the depth chart so he was let go. It wasn't because he couldn't cut it.

And for Damphousse, he was never signed to play in the NHL, he was signed to play in Hamilton. With Theodore and Garon in Montreal at the time, Damphousse was going nowhere higher than the AHL.

Seems to me like you are making very general statements and trying to apply them to all situations which isn't fair to many of these goalies and isn't accurate. There is much more involved.

Old
07-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Teemu

The Blackhawks today cut ties with prospect goalie Michael Ayers, who was the collegiate goalie of the year 2 years ago. Right now is just bad timing for young goaltenders. Almost every team has at least one decent one, many with multiple. The demand for goaltenders such as Damphousse and DesRochers is almost nada, and I suspect that they will be signed with AHL teams if they are lucky.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:06 PM
ErnestoGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
The Blackhawks today cut ties with prospect goalie Michael Ayers, who was the collegiate goalie of the year 2 years ago. Right now is just bad timing for young goaltenders. Almost every team has at least one decent one, many with multiple. The demand for goaltenders such as Damphousse and DesRochers is almost nada, and I suspect that they will be signed with AHL teams if they are lucky.

Or they might go the WHA way..... it could be a good boost for their carreer if there is a lockout and the WHA steals the show...

Old
07-14-2004, 10:47 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Tampa Bay will sign a free agent goalie to be the #1 in Springfield (AHL).

Closed Thread