HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Laraque with a Role

Old
11-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Yea that's probably how I would reply to that video of BGL doing the exact same thing that Lucic did that everyone here is taking exception to and calling a lack of class.

Sorry dude, the class argument is out the window.

What is left after that?

Bruins fans know BGL could likely win a fight with Looch? Yea likely so, most rational B's fans agree.

Lucic didn't fight BGL last night? Ah yer, Julien told him not to (then was smart enough to fill the press in about this strategy after the game) likely for the above reason and the fact that we were in your barn playing a very important divisional game. Lucic losing a fight to BGL is exactly how you guys would want to start the game, but not the way we would want.

Lucic needs to man up and fight Laraque? Pfft, no he doesn't. BGL has done nothing to warrant that fight, there is no history there. In fact, Looch would be stupid to take the guy off the ice for 5 minutes. We like seeing him on the top line.

Bruins fans were pissed Komi ducked Looch for so long, now they're hypocrites! Totally ignoring the fact that Lucic has never been as bad at hockey as BGL currently is, Komi and Lucic did some things that perpetrated this fight. Also, neither Komi or Looch would be considered heavy wieght goon enforcers... Laraque is. Add in the fact that Lucic and Komisarek jawed at each other for an entire season, and it meant a lot more then Laraque/Lucic. Aside from all that, many Bruins fans also clamored for it in part because they had to listen to how Komisarek fought guys like Brashear so he was definitely tougher then Lucic. Most Bruins fans are smart enough to realize Looch will likely lose to BGL, and therefore shouldn't go with him when momentum is still a likely deciding factor in the game.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:01 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Yea that's probably how I would reply to that video of BGL doing the exact same thing that Lucic did that everyone here is taking exception to and calling a lack of class.

What is left after that?

Bruins fans know BGL could likely win a fight with Looch? Yea likely so, most rational B's fans agree.

Lucic didn't fight BGL last night? Ah yer, Julien told him not to (then was smart enough to fill the press in about this strategy after the game) likely for the above reason and the fact that we were in your barn playing a very important divisional game. Lucic losing a fight to BGL is exactly how you guys would want to start the game, but not the way we would want.

Lucic needs to man up and fight Laraque? Pfft, no he doesn't. BGL has done nothing to warrant that fight, there is no history there. In fact, Looch would be stupid to take the guy off the ice for 5 minutes. We like seeing him on the top line.

Bruins fans were pissed Komi ducked Looch for so long, now they're hypocrites! Totally ignoring the fact that Lucic has never been as bad at hockey as BGL currently is, Komi and Lucic did some things that perpetrated this fight. Also, neither Komi or Looch would be considered heavy wieght goon enforcers... Laraque is. Add in the fact that Lucic and Komisarek jawed at each other for an entire season, and it meant a lot more then Laraque/Lucic. Aside from all that, many Bruins fans also clamored for it in part because they had to listen to how Komisarek fought guys like Brashear so he was definitely tougher then Lucic. Most Bruins fans are smart enough to realize Looch will likely lose to BGL, and therefore shouldn't go with him when momentum is still a likely deciding factor in the game.
I'm not even going to bother re-posting what I already said in another thread where another BOSTON poster posted the video in a MONTREAL thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=575580&page=6

Post 138.

It's not even the same situation and it's not about class it is about respect and backing your **** up... if you're going to act like your a heavyweight then expect to fight a heavyweight.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
I'm not even going to bother re-posting what I already said in another thread where another BOSTON poster posted the video in a MONTREAL thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=575580&page=6

Post 138.

It's not even the same situation and it's not about class it is about respect and backing your **** up... if you're going to act like your a heavyweight then expect to fight a heavyweight.
So then if you beat up one Mike Komisarek, you're suddenly a heavy?

Lucic is what he is, a potential heavy once he gets some experience under his belt. Right now he isn't in Laraques class and has done nothing to make anyone think he is. He managed to hang in tough with Ivanans and Brookbank, got beat by Eskrine. Other then that its been all middle weights.

Perhaps this would work better if you clarified how Lucic "acted like a heavy weight". Right now, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with "backing your **** up", but rather some Habs fans think they need to salvage some pride for Komisarek by sending out one of the best goons in the game to shadow a 20 year old sophmore. Komisarek doesn't need your help to make good, he already did that and unforunatly got injured, but did it all the same.

Last edited by Kaoz: 11-23-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old
11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Is Komisarek a heavy weight fighter? Some say so, hes dropped with some heavies, so where does Lucic draw the line? Is he going to pick his spots and back away from some fighters, and not others? If he's going to talk the talk, hes going to have to walk the walk. I like Lucic; I think he could hold his own in a fight with George. I think if Julien hadn't said nothing, he might've dropped his gloves and got it over with. We'll have to wait and see, but from what I can tell, I think Lucic might be a little unhappy about being seen as a coward out there. He's a fan pleaser and when he hears the crowd mocking him, I don't think he enjoys it very much.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

He beat up a Hab who's occasionally adequate at fighting and he is a big forward who plays hockey like a big forward. So therefore he must be a heavy.

Seriously, this is such a non-issue. Page after page of posts on something that didn't happen when the reason it didn't happen is crystal clear.

I would think that this weekend Montreal fans would manage somehow to find something bigger to complain about. Like losing the game or even losing the Gray Cup.

BTW -- should something be made of the fact that Carbonneau actually sent a guy out with instructions to target a specific player on another team? That's a step beyond what the league usually tolerates, isn't it?

I mean -- it's one thing to look the other way when two players drop gloves for something that happens in the game, or if they have a history like Lucic and Komisarek, but it's quite another for the coach to orchestrate an attempt to attack and potentially injure a member of the opposing team isn't it? That's really not what the enforcer is for.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

The enforcer is there to enforce. If it means putting fear into an opponent to keep him from getting out of hand, he'll get it done. Nobody was harmed, Lucics a big boy and doesn't need you crying over it for him.

Can you really sit there and tell me you didn't see it coming? Someone was going to go out there and bug Lucic, everyone knew it. Komisareks a leader and a good teammate, so to see him go down and see Lucics reaction leaves everyone on the team wanting revenge. George went out there to stick up for him, and let Lucic know hes a big boy and can handle himself. It'll happen, sooner or later, its not the first time Lucic ducks Laraque but Lucic is a proud person as any other player is and will eventually drop his gloves.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:33 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

Lucic is what he is, a potential heavy once he gets some experience under his belt. Right now he isn't in Laraques class and has done nothing to make anyone think he is. He managed to hang in tough with Ivanans, got beat by Eskrine.

Perhaps this would work better if you clarified how Lucic "acted like a heavy weight".
Well if you're Lucic and your team is up 6-1 and you just beat up Mike Komisarek and decide to rub it in even more by waving your hands in the air do you think Laraque is honestly going to forget about something like this?

If it was a guy like Ference for example or someone else smaller that had just beaten Kostopoulos or Begin and started waving his hands in the air then Laraque obviously wouldn't care as much but when you have a 6'4'' 220 pound guy (close to BGL's size) acting like he's the toughest guy in the league then really, you should expect to have to back it up.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
The enforcer is there to enforce. If it means putting fear into an opponent to keep him from getting out of hand, he'll get it done. Nobody was harmed, Lucics a big boy and doesn't need you crying over it for him.
I could reverse that and swap Lucic for Komisarek. It should be noticed that while you were busy putting the fear into Lucic the other 19 Bruins were busy winning the hockey game. And you contained Lucic so well he scored a goal too.

I should be glad that the Canadiens are finally running scared enough from a Bruin to put a hopelessly incompetent player in the first line just because he might be able to create a situation which took the Bruin out of the game with him.

After all, there are 11 other Bruins forwards and Lucic isn't even our best one so by all means, please fixate on Lucic.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Well if you're Lucic and your team is up 6-1 and you just beat up Mike Komisarek and decide to rub it in even more by waving your hands in the air do you think Laraque is honestly going to forget about something like this?
You make it sound like Komisarek didn't want to fight. As I recall it no one got an instigator penalty that night, so poor little Komisarek doesn't need to be defended by you. He picked that moment just like Lucic did.

And sure Lucic played to the crowd after winning a fight. It was a home game, the Bruins are winning big, he just settled a yearlong feud, and he's 20 years old. A combination of adrenaline and youthful exuberance, nothing more. I'd have hated it if some Hab had done that after beating up a Bruin, but I'd be more annoyed that the Bruin lost the fight.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:40 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I could reverse that and swap Lucic for Komisarek. It should be noticed that while you were busy putting the fear into Lucic the other 19 Bruins were busy winning the hockey game. And you contained Lucic so well he scored a goal too.
They won in a shootout on a goal where the player lost the puck... Seriously, not trying to sound like a sore loser, Boston did win but you're making it sound like they dominated the Habs all game when they won on a goal in a shootout where their player lost the puck.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
They won in a shootout on a goal where the player lost the puck... Seriously, not trying to sound like a sore loser, Boston did win but you're making it sound like they dominated the Habs all game when they won on a goal in a shootout where their player lost the puck.
I prefer to think of it as a jink move, convince the goaltender that you're going to make a powerful forehand shot to the top shelf and then just let the puck trickle through the 5 hole instead. I'm glad it was Price that let in the softy but even more I'm surprised that Thomas stopped all 3 scoring attempts..

Doesn't really change the math about just how much neutralizing Lucic mattered to the outcome of the game, though. Because that number is zero.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Not to mention Lucic scored when Laraque wasn't out there... but anyways, if you feel you dominated the game, watch it again, I have it recorded, PM me your address and I'd gladly send it over. It was a good game and I enjoy everytime we play.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

For the record, I didn't say "dominate," that was your word in my mouth. I said that they won. Would you care to dispute?

And the price you paid for neutralizing Lucic that way is weakening your top line which reduced your chances to score a third goal in regulation and win outright.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

The line still had a couple of good chances to score, but Tim Thomas played a good game. + every now and then we'd ship Sergei out there and keep Laraque back, it was well executed and seemed to not please Lucic much by his reactions heading back to bench/while on bench. Good game.

Old
11-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
For the record, I didn't say "dominate," that was your word in my mouth. I said that they won. Would you care to dispute?

And the price you paid for neutralizing Lucic that way is weakening your top line which reduced your chances to score a third goal in regulation and win outright.
You didn't say they won, you said ''the other 19guys were busy winning the game'' in a very condescending tone.

Your Bruins didn't play better than the Habs, I don't think you can dispute that fact just like any hab fan can't say that the Habs were the superior team.

It was a very tight and entertaining fight, hence the shootout win.
It was won by a missed deke, you trying to portray it as an ''intentional'' jink move, is pure wishful thinking.

Last edited by Kriss E: 11-24-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Lucic is what he is, a potential heavy once he gets some experience under his belt. Right now he isn't in Laraques class and has done nothing to make anyone think he is. He managed to hang in tough with Ivanans and Brookbank, got beat by Eskrine. Other then that its been all middle weights.

Perhaps this would work better if you clarified how Lucic "acted like a heavy weight". Right now, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with "backing your **** up", but rather some Habs fans think they need to salvage some pride for Komisarek by sending out one of the best goons in the game to shadow a 20 year old sophmore. Komisarek doesn't need your help to make good, he already did that and unforunatly got injured, but did it all the same.
Lucic is not a heavyweight, but he acted like a fool.

You don't win a fight and rub it in, screaming like a moron and making hand gestures.

You know as much as I do that if the instigator rule didn't exist, Lucic would have gotten his face bashed in multiple times already.

You don't show off, and then refuse an invitation.
It's like bragging about how rich you are that you can afford a Ferrari but decide to buy a Saturn instead.

You want to act like a big tough guy after winning a fight, M.Macho Man, well then one would assume you'd have the courage to take on anybody. That's certainly what it looked like he felt after he beat Komo.

I never wanted Komo to fight Lucic. I knew Komi couldn't fight for crap, which is quite the opposite for Milan.
But there was no need for the ridiculous gestures after the fight. This would apply for any team, not just with us.

You talk about Lucic not having done anything to Laraque per say, so there's no need for them to fight.
Well, Begin hadn't done anything to Thornton but he maned up for the injury he gave to Savard and fought him. He got destroyed and moved on. He still plays the same way and he wouldn't back up from Thornton if he did something that would lead to a dual again.

Lucic should man up and face Laraque for the way he portrayed himself. The good thing for him is that he's well protected by the new rules so he doesn't have to skate scared someone would jump and pound him.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Laraque only played 8 minutes, and not all of them were on our top line. So I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Oh and in the real world, Wheeler's goal was a fluke. Not some planned jinx goal like you've tried to portray it.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Stradale

Quote:

What is left after that?

Didnt the Bruins fan calling Komisarek a ***** because he never wants to go fight Lucic or whoever. Habs fans respond that Komisarek is too important for the team to sit in the bench for 5 min. Now that Lucic has chickened out against Laraque, he is now the smartest guy on earth. Those Bruins fans are funny.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:15 AM
mel

What is the media in Montreal saying about the game and Carboneaus strategy of having Laraque out there shadowing Lucic? Do most people agree with it?
I found it affective and it did seem to throw Lucic off his game.

But a quick question didn't this start with the game in Boston after the hit on Kovalev by Lucic. I thought Laraque asked him to go then but he declined and then he fought Komisarek. Or is it because of the way he acted after the fight with Komisarek?

mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Or is it because of the way he acted after the fight with Komisarek?
That seems to be the issue. There's a certain swagger, not just among the Bruins but all the Boston teams, that fans of other clubs in the same league are starting to find unpalatable. It's a cultural thing, I think it comes of all the Irish influence.

I'll cop to the charge that Lucic was a bit immature. He's a 20 year old accomplishing great things, that kind of goes with the territory.

Old
11-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Who was on when Lucic scored? Was it Kovalev?
Yes and it was a pretty awful display of back-checking by Kovy too. The fleet footed Lucic was able to out-skate, then out-muscle Kovalev for the puck.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:18 AM
8thRoundPick

Fwiw..

http://blogs.weei.com/joehaggerty/20...ucic-code-red/

Julien stated to the press that he ordered Lucic to keep the gloves on. Also states that Thornton was ready to go with BGL at a moments notice.

I don't mean to stir the pot, I just thought I'd shed some light on the BGL/Lucic situation. This doesn't suprise me - I have a feeling Carbo asked the same of Komi last season (not once have I ever commented saying Komi was a chicken, for the record) - and for good reason too - last year Carbo probably didn't want Komi off the ice, as you can't play effective shut-down defense from the penalty box. I'm fairly sure this was CJ's intention this time around - he didn't want Lucic, who scored and plays a key role on the team, sitting in the box for 5 minutes.

Regarding putting BGL on the 1st line to shadow Lucic; was very effective. Took away a winger from Savard, and limited Lucic's presence on the ice. The downfall was adding more ice time to a player that isn't as fast as the rest of the team.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:33 AM
mel

Quote:
That seems to be the issue. There's a certain swagger, not just among the Bruins but all the Boston teams, that fans of other clubs in the same league are starting to find unpalatable. It's a cultural thing, I think it comes of all the Irish influence.

I'll cop to the charge that Lucic was a bit immature. He's a 20 year old accomplishing great things, that kind of goes with the territory.
Thanks for clarifying. Being from Boston and being a fan of the Red Sox and Patriots I see where you are coming from.

Although I can see why people would be mad about his antics after the fight, I will also take into account that he is 20 years old and will maybe need to mature a little. I can imagine that he was pumped from winning the fight and having thousands of people just cheering like crazy for him. I'm sure that factored into it. Whatever happens, it's nice to watch two good teams face off it each other with a little hatred there.

mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lucic is not a heavyweight, but he acted like a fool.

You don't win a fight and rub it in, screaming like a moron and making hand gestures.

You know as much as I do that if the instigator rule didn't exist, Lucic would have gotten his face bashed in multiple times already.

You don't show off, and then refuse an invitation.
It's like bragging about how rich you are that you can afford a Ferrari but decide to buy a Saturn instead.

You want to act like a big tough guy after winning a fight, M.Macho Man, well then one would assume you'd have the courage to take on anybody. That's certainly what it looked like he felt after he beat Komo.

I never wanted Komo to fight Lucic. I knew Komi couldn't fight for crap, which is quite the opposite for Milan.
But there was no need for the ridiculous gestures after the fight. This would apply for any team, not just with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOaknSmE5i0

Some peoplle do win fights and do exactly what Looch did... some of those people are Habs. It isn't tauting anyone, it's getting the crowd into the game. Ever see PJ stock after a fight, he did the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You talk about Lucic not having done anything to Laraque per say, so there's no need for them to fight.
Well, Begin hadn't done anything to Thornton but he maned up for the injury he gave to Savard and fought him. He got destroyed and moved on. He still plays the same way and he wouldn't back up from Thornton if he did something that would lead to a dual again.

Lucic should man up and face Laraque for the way he portrayed himself. The good thing for him is that he's well protected by the new rules so he doesn't have to skate scared someone would jump and pound him.
Sure, because what Begin did to Savard is completely comparable to what Lucic did to Komisarek.

Begin crosschecked the guy in the back, hard enough to break a bone. It was intentional, and it was a pretty crap move. Had this been done to Komisarek by Lucic this board still wouldn't have let it go so don't try to start comparing the two instances.

Komisarek and Lucic did it the right way and unfortunately Komisarek got injured, I'm guessing more because of how he fell on the ice after the fight... since he didn't even know he was injured until he was in the penalty box. As I said before, I'm pretty sure Komisarek was the one to drop the gloves first.

Don't be mad because he got hurt, it wasn't Lucic's fault and Komisarek is a big boy, he can handle himself... he did go with Brashear after all and never got injured. I have little doubt Lucic and BGL will go, but if you think it's going to happen in the Bell Center in a close game just after a Bruins back to back, you're likely sorely mistaken.

Meanwhile Laraque just spent a first period chasing around a 20 year old kid whom he previously admitted isn't even in his weight class because he took offense to something Laraque has been known to do himself. And to think that got Lucic off his game? You need to watch Lucic more often, he isn't always a laying out monstrous hits during a game, although he did land a couple good ones in that game. Lucic's behavior was hardly outside the norm, although he did have a big growth on his ass all night (that's a joke).

Again, I'll just add I hope Komi returns soon and in good health. A shame what happened to him. I also hope you guys get your Lucic Laraque fight (which Laraque will likely win), because if thats what it takes to make you feel better about the whole situation then so be it. No doubt Lucic wouldn't let behaviour go unchecked for long... assuming Julien takes the leash off.

Old
11-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:

BTW -- should something be made of the fact that Carbonneau actually sent a guy out with instructions to target a specific player on another team? That's a step beyond what the league usually tolerates, isn't it?

I mean -- it's one thing to look the other way when two players drop gloves for something that happens in the game, or if they have a history like Lucic and Komisarek, but it's quite another for the coach to orchestrate an attempt to attack and potentially injure a member of the opposing team isn't it? That's really not what the enforcer is for.
Since when does a coach need permission from the league to shadow a specific player and when was there an attempt by BGL to attack and potentially injure Lucic at any point in that game? You need to proof-read a little better before posting these statements. He did what every enforcer in the league has done for decades including some of your favourites.

And for those who keep saying Lucic isn't a heavyweight, 6'4"/220 ish is as much a heavyweight as a lot of others in my eyes. Yes, he's still young, and, he may not be the Bruins enforcer, but, imo that is a heavyweight

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote