HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Since we're talking a lot about fighting...

Old
11-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Habs4thewin

vCash: 500
Since we're talking a lot about fighting...

Hi guys,

I don't post very much but I'm reading alot...

I just want to bring a point... Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I'm thinking about the George Laraque effect...

Remember last year, when Carbonneau told the media that we didn't need an enforcer..That as a team, we could take care of our self... I'm seem countless time people fighting for each others, defending their teammates... Hell, that's what I was calling a true team spirit... We probably lost most of those fights, but at least show the other team that if you try to get in the head of our best players, you got the defend yourself against the whole team...

This year, it seem that 90% of this aspect is on BGL's shoulders... Other players seem to play a passive game... I agree that here and there you can see a Kosto, Bouillon, Begin or Gorges standing for a teammate, but that's not happening on a regular basis like last year...

We need to play with passion, and fight back to whoever try to be nasty with us...We need to defend ourself as a whole, as a team... And when it comes to Thornton, Brashear or whatever player of that type, we now have BGL to dance with them

Play hard, fight hard

Go Habs Go !

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Namso

I never thought about this but I agree with you 100%. It seems the answer to roughness is always Laraque and that has taken some edge of our game.

Kosto is awesome though. I love how he plays, fights for his team no matter who the opponent is, etc. If only others on the team had the passion like him (and Saku).

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I'd rather have hockey players that try to fight than fighters who try to play hockey.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:20 PM

Stewart got his 2nd TKO win of the season with the Bulldogs.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Kriss E

Komi..Bouillon..Begin..Laraque..Kosto..Lapierre..L ats have all fought so far this season.
We have 13fighting Majors, 4 of them belong to BGL. We played less than 20GP, I think that's pretty darn good enough.

There's a lot of pile ups after the breaks too, so I don't think you're saying anything true. We can't see fights every game, we can't avenge every dirty hit or move, we can't jump on anybody falling on Price at every chance...It just doesn't work like that and it never did for any team.

I'm satisfied, sometimes I wonder what some people expect really..

Perfection doesn't exist.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:21 AM
JrHockeyFan

I can see how esprit de corps can be enhanced by each guy covering for the other guy. However, if another team chooses to take advantage of the situation you get good players goaded into fighting and possibly getting hurt

For the regular spur of the moment "two guys are pissed off" fights, guys usually match up well and no problem. Having to do this regularly is a problem though.

We have a good scrapper in BGL. I just think we need to figure out how and when to use him.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:49 AM
rocketlives

We'll know come playoffs time whether we need Laraque or not. If again we fold in the first or second round because of intimidation, we don't really need Laraque.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I thought everybody on the Habs competed nicely against Boston. And that Laraque (when healthy) has been showing that he can play a little too. I think there's a synthesis that can take place whereby we don't lose out on any team toughness and we don't need to think of Laraque as a waste of roster space either.

The last generation of good Habs teams had plenty of esprit du corps even with Nilan or Kordic or Odelein being the main guys to answer the bells. Laraque can still be the main guy, but that doesn't have to be *all* he does, and the rest of the team can play hard too. There don't need to be any mutual exclusivities here. The team just needs to get on with it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:58 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
We'll know come playoffs time whether we need Laraque or not. If again we fold in the first or second round because of intimidation, we don't really need Laraque.
I keep seeing this and I don't understand how people think we lost because we were 'intimidated' last year. We just couldn't score.

We dominated Philly, but a few bad goals on Price and Biron's exceptional play resulted in us losing the series. It had nothing to do with intimidation.

Pitts beat the Flyers and I don't consider them that intimidating. And, Detroit isn't that physically intimidating either.

If Anaheim didn't win the cup two years ago, nobody would be talking about how important it is to be 'tough'.
How many Stanley Cup chamions were really that physically tough this past decade.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Habs4thewin

I shouldn't use the word fighting ( Not fightning ) but compete...

When you come at the Bell center, you shouldn't only fear Laraque but the CH as a whole... Without any real goon last year, we was able to projected that, but this year it's different...

Anyway, playing with emotion, trash talking, and get into the game shouldn't happen only against the Bruins... I really think the last performance was a very positive one and the players will carry over to tonight's game against the Isles...

They will surely remember how the CH came back in the game at the Nassau Coliseum this season and will want to take their revenge

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:55 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4thewin View Post
I shouldn't use the word fighting ( Not fightning ) but compete...

When you come at the Bell center, you shouldn't only fear Laraque but the CH as a whole... Without any real goon last year, we was able to projected that, but this year it's different...

Anyway, playing with emotion, trash talking, and get into the game shouldn't happen only against the Bruins... I really think the last performance was a very positive one and the players will carry over to tonight's game against the Isles...

They will surely remember how the CH came back in the game at the Nassau Coliseum this season and will want to take their revenge
If they want to really avenge last game, they should let us score 3 quick goals and try to come back from that

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
number 11

we destroyed boston in hits 49-23 on saturday, and a good number of our guys have fought this season so far. I wouldn't really call that playing a passive game, if anything I see Laraque as giving everyone a little more confidence to throw big hits without having to worry about dropping the gloves every time.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote