HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What if Bouwmeester cost...

Old
11-23-2008, 09:45 PM
nas26

vCash: 500
What if Bouwmeester cost...

Plekanec + Halak + one of O'Byrne/prospect D [Fischer, Subban, Weber]

Seems like a lot, but Plekanec is gonna be restricted after this year, Halak will never play more that 20-25 games behind Price, and Montreal is knee deep in young D-men. It would give Florida the rights to a relatively young, fast and skilled centre [which they need], a solid young back-up for Vokoun this year and beyond, and a young D with upside to replace Bouwmeester going forward [O'Byrne has struggled, but he has the size and speed to be decent blueliner for years to come].

Montreal would get an elite top 4 D of Markov-Komisarek and Hamrlik-Bouwmeester that could log tonnes of minutes and play both sides of the puck [a 3rd pair could be Bouillion and Gorges, thereby keeping Brisebois in the press box]. Moving Plekanec would give more minutes to Lang and possibly allow Chipchura to get some 3-4 line duty [by all accounts he has been playing great in the AHL], and Denis could replace Halak as Price's back-up.

I really don't see Florida paying Bouwmeester 6+ million per year on a long-term deal so I think they will be moving him, and Montreal has got as much as anyone to offer....thoughts?.......

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:50 PM
LeHab

You forgot that we can also sign Sundin for league minimum to replace Plekanec.

How does this help Florida? Sorry, this is not EA sports.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:50 PM
usernam

Do Panthers really need a backup goalie? Anderson isn't doing bad, is he?

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
MTL-rules

Hell no...

Forget about J-Bo, he'll probably cost too much and we can't afford him and Komi... however if Komi ask for 5mil or more, i'd prefer paying J-B 7mil than Komi 5mil... so...

Anyway... trading Pleks is the dumbest move we could make right now unless it's for another well established and signed no1 center.

Think more about Liles, Ohlund and cie...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas26 View Post

...and Denis could replace Halak as Price's back-up.

No he cannot.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm not for trading a young center who basically got 70 pts last year while being stellar on face-offs and defensively, especially since we don't have much in the system and Saku and Lang aren't getting younger.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
nas26

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
You forgot that we can also sign Sundin for league minimum to replace Plekanec.

How does this help Florida? Sorry, this is not EA sports.
Pittsburgh got Hossa for Christensen, Armstrong and Esposito [and a pick]. I don't think it's that outrageous...

Halak is a good goalie with upside, and I don't think they have many great goalie prospects in the system [Markstrom maybe]. Plekanec could help their offence.

Old
11-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
You do it..it's a simple as that.
Plekanec can be repalced by Lang to Centre Kovalev short term.
Also you can call up Ben Maxwell to C the third line.

No way Florida makes that deal though!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:04 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Pittsburgh got Hossa for Christensen, Armstrong and Esposito [and a pick]. I don't think it's that outrageous...

Halak is a good goalie with upside, and I don't think they have many great goalie prospects in the system [Markstrom maybe]. Plekanec could help their offence.
Yeah I know it is always possible but probable? Not.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Liles might be a good pick up. Maybe a Halak and ? for Liles

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:10 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Liles might be a good pick up. Maybe a Halak and ? for Liles
He's signed for another 3 years at 4.2 million a year after this year... we can't be taking on any more big salaries this off-season as we have enough free agents to worry about.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
You do it..it's a simple as that.
Plekanec can be repalced by Lang to Centre Kovalev short term.
Also you can call up Ben Maxwell to C the third line.

No way Florida makes that deal though!
I wouldn't do it...Plekanec is a key for our future, as we are thin on young center. Koivu might be gone after this season, and we won't re-sign Lang, so who would play in the middle next year?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Chomsky

Terrible cost. If JM askes that, BG tells him to go **** himself.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
nas26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm not for trading a young center who basically got 70 pts last year while being stellar on face-offs and defensively, especially since we don't have much in the system and Saku and Lang aren't getting younger.
Fair enough, but can they keep both Higgins and Plekanec going forward? Obviously Lang is a stop-gap solution, and I agree that there is not much in the system in terms of good centres, but I am also not sure that Plekanec will ever be more than a 65 point guy [not that there is anything wrong with that].

I guess I was thinking more of what the Habs defence would look like with Bouwmeester in it...The playoffs with a top four D who can each play 25 solid minutes a night would be deadly...

Last edited by nas26: 11-23-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old
11-23-2008, 10:46 PM
superstar436

Quote:

Seems like a lot, but Plekanec is gonna be restricted after this year, Halak will never play more that 20-25 games behind Price, and Montreal is knee deep in young D-men. It would give Florida the rights to a relatively young, fast and skilled centre [which they need], a solid young back-up for Vokoun this year and beyond, and a young D with upside to replace Bouwmeester going forward [O'Byrne has struggled, but he has the size and speed to be decent blueliner for years to come].

Montreal would get an elite top 4 D of Markov-Komisarek and Hamrlik-Bouwmeester that could log tonnes of minutes and play both sides of the puck [a 3rd pair could be Bouillion and Gorges, thereby keeping Brisebois in the press box]. Moving Plekanec would give more minutes to Lang and possibly allow Chipchura to get some 3-4 line duty [by all accounts he has been playing great in the AHL], and Denis could replace Halak as Price's back-up.

I really don't see Florida paying Bouwmeester 6+ million per year on a long-term deal so I think they will be moving him, and Montreal has got as much as anyone to offer....thoughts?.......
as per Pat Burns, they wanna save 3-4 million this year. They want forwards, So if they want to get players they would have to be cheap players under 2 million. Pleks is not signing for less than 4 million per year the way it is going around the nhl even with his sucky year coz he did more in the NHL than akosty and the later is paid 3.3 per year. Higgins is also gonna get 4 million.

The only option that I see are skosty, and a very good defence prospect who is close to nhl, most probably Yemelin.Now this is under the assumption that he is not a playoff rental which means that he will be signed before being traded.

Last edited by superstar436: 11-23-2008 at 10:51 PM.
superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:31 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
This gave me a good laugh.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I wouldn't do it...Plekanec is a key for our future, as we are thin on young center. Koivu might be gone after this season, and we won't re-sign Lang, so who would play in the middle next year?
very simple,Mats Sundin!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
very simple,Mats Sundin!!
But even then, it would solve the problem for a maximum of one and a half year, and free agency is costing too much...we need to keep Plekanec at this point.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But even then, it would solve the problem for a maximum of one and a half year, and free agency is costing too much...we need to keep Plekanec at this point.
I agree and was being sarcastic,hopefully Saku will remain a Hab for life

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:52 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

I think the deal you put together is pretty fair for both sides....

J-Bo is a stud Dman who will play almost half of every game.

Plek is a #2 center with offensive and d skills and responsible

Halak is #1 somewhere, just not here. Tomas Vokoun won't last forever, great tandem.

Add O'Byrne to sweeten the pot and give them a Dman back.

We have the talent to replace Plek in the near future.

We would miss Plek offence but flourish with B-man's D

I say YES, do it......6 mil

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

That's way too much to pay for a rental.

Even though he is not playing that well right now, Plekanec is a guy I'd like to sign long term for a reasonable price. I think him alone is worth Bouwmeester if not more.

The best time to trade for JB is not now, wait until midseason when his cap hit is only 3 mil and Florida is resigned to the fact that he is leaving.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Pittsburgh did not trade an established NHLer the calibre of Plekanec. Christienson and Armstrong were not top 6 forwards.

You guys are completely overlooking that this is a RENTAL player...unless BG wants to throw 7 mil for 5-6 years at JB but that throws the salary structure out of whack(Markov Hamrlik and Komi will cost around 15 mil next year) like Anaheim did last year with Schneider and they had no money left to add skill up front.

Old
11-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post
I think the deal you put together is pretty fair for both sides....

J-Bo is a stud Dman who will play almost half of every game.

Plek is a #2 center with offensive and d skills and responsible

Halak is #1 somewhere, just not here. Tomas Vokoun won't last forever, great tandem.

Add O'Byrne to sweeten the pot and give them a Dman back.

We have the talent to replace Plek in the near future.

We would miss Plek offence but flourish with B-man's D

I say YES, do it......6 mil

Your math is ok except for the fact that you are trading 3 players under control for one that is a UFA on July 1st and will cost huge dollars to sign. He's a candidate to be overpaid like Wade Redden(who is making 6.5 but is worth 4.5-5). JB will get 7-7.5 and is worth about what Markov makes(5.5-6).

Old
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Your math is ok except for the fact that you are trading 3 players under control for one that is a UFA on July 1st and will cost huge dollars to sign. He's a candidate to be overpaid like Wade Redden(who is making 6.5 but is worth 4.5-5). JB will get 7-7.5 and is worth about what Markov makes(5.5-6).
Sorry, I was assuming that Gainey signs Boumeester immediately .
Let me clarify that I would NOT do this if it was a rental.

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post
Sorry, I was assuming that Gainey signs Boumeester immediately .
Let me clarify that I would NOT do this if it was a rental.
Either way it's not a win...you really improve your top 4 on defense, but you create a hole at center. Instead of 3 quality offensive lines you suddenly have Lapierre on your 3rd line? Lang is doing fine on the 3rd line, but as a 2nd line guy he's not that great. Plus the only way JB signs an extension now is for big money(6.5/year minimum for 5-7 years). That puts you in a tough spot with Komisarek Kovy Koivu Tanguay, your defense suddenly eats up half your cap if you don't let Komi walk.

I don't see gainey making that trade.