HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

trade: TO/ STL

Old
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
AH

vCash: 500
Toronto wins this going away. If Coliacovo ever plays 70 games, then St Louis wins (but that's never going to happen).

You get a top six forward for a bottom pairing D when healthy and a 3rd liner checker with limited offensive output.

I still dont get the fascination with Steen. I always wondered what is it about this guy that Leaf fans love. Is it his name or his dwindling stats?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:30 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

all 3 players needed a change, should workout for both teams.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Toronto wins this going away. If Coliacovo ever plays 70 games, then St Louis wins (but that's never going to happen).

You get a top six forward for a bottom pairing D when healthy and a 3rd liner checker with limited offensive output.

I still dont get the fascination with Steen. I always wondered what is it about this guy that Leaf fans love. Is it his name or his dwindling stats?
he's had two 40 pts seasons in 3 years in the NHL.. ppl could ask us the same with Higgins who has broken 40 pts only once.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Some might still see Steen as a Perezhogin...He was suppose to be all that offensively.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post

Yup....that is exactly how I see it.

11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Schooner Guy

Steen will likely be put in a more offensive role in St Louis. I've always liked Colaiacovo but he really suffers from the injury bug. He'll add some depth to Blues defense as a puck moving defenceman.

Stempniak could get close to 60 points, has one more year left in his contract and will have a salary of $3.5 million next year.

On the surface, this could be a good trade for both teams. I do find it odd that the Leafs, in "rebuilding" phase, add Stempniak's salary for one more season before Burke is in place as GM. Usually teams in similar situations opt to subtract salary. Maybe they think they can make the playoffs?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
shamrun

i remember when Colaiacovo tried to nail koivu on boards and ended up hurting himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR966TzRT7I

You can see Paul maurice smirking a little and i lol'd at that one.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I do find it odd that the Leafs, in "rebuilding" phase, add Stempniak's salary for one more season before Burke is in place as GM. Usually teams in similar situations opt to subtract salary. Maybe they think they can make the playoffs?
Stempniaks cap hit is $2.5M this year, and Steen's and Coli combined were $3.1, so they did reduce the cap hit for this year, in a round about way.

I still agree it seems a bit odd. Especially the timing of it.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think St Louis win this trade. Steen is a great player and has a lot of upside...I think he will explode now. Cola is always hurt but still, he has a lot of talent and you never know with guys like that. Stempniak is good, and Toronto certainly gets a good player back, but I prefer the players St Louis got, personally.
To me this deal hinges on Cola's health issues. If he can stay healthy, St.Louis wins this deal. If not, Toronto wins in a cake walk.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

If Stempniak is a UFA after next year, St.Louis wins. Steen has a reasonable contract and I think a change of scenery could help him. The gamble on Colaiacovo is very minimal, if it works out they could win big...I would laugh if he became a very dependable d-man.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Remember the Steen vs. Higgins days? I don't really know what's happened to Steen lately, if it's just utilisation or if he has hit some kind of permanent plateau. But I really thought he'd be better than this. I think he has still retained the defensive side of his game, he looks good on the PK. Where did the offense go/why didn't it come? I don't know. But if he finds the right chemistry with Berglund or somebody in St.Louis, and if he gets to within shouting distance of Stempniak's pointage, the Blues will win this deal. Dunno if that will happen.

I guess that's what makes it such a cool deal... we so rarely see straight up deals like that anymore that aren't based on the salary cap, or free agent sell-offs, or moving out disgruntled players, etc.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Habs

Love how all the media are claiming the Leafs made such a brilliant trade, when nobody has played a single game yet for either team.

LOL. How about the press wait a few months before telling us how brilliant the Leafs are?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
lets just get Kovalchuk already. I'm tired of waiting.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Remember the Steen vs. Higgins days? I don't really know what's happened to Steen lately, if it's just utilisation or if he has hit some kind of permanent plateau. But I really thought he'd be better than this. I think he has still retained the defensive side of his game, he looks good on the PK. Where did the offense go/why didn't it come? I don't know. But if he finds the right chemistry with Berglund or somebody in St.Louis, and if he gets to within shouting distance of Stempniak's pointage, the Blues will win this deal. Dunno if that will happen.

I guess that's what makes it such a cool deal... we so rarely see straight up deals like that anymore that aren't based on the salary cap, or free agent sell-offs, or moving out disgruntled players, etc.
I'm not sure what's happening to Higgins neither. If you take away the three goal night, there's not a lot there this year.

Habnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I'm not sure what's happening to Higgins neither. If you take away the three goal night, there's nothing this year.
fixed it for you.

I'm starting to give up on Higgins

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:40 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I guess St. Louis wants Tavares more than Toronto.
No, they're leaving him for Ottawa.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote