HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need an agitator?

Old
11-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Do we need an agitator?

Has the agitator has replaced the enforcer as something necessary in your NHL lineup? You can argue what an Avery brought to the team the last year and a half (and what he took away from it), but you can't argue that we were a difficult team to play against. Win or lose, teams came out of games against us with a proverbial bloody nose. These days, win or lose, it seems like our opponents are getting a much easier ride.

Of course there was also our record with Avery, which speaks for itself, but you can argue our record without Avery this season has been pretty good too. But it's only been 23 games, who knows if we'll be able to keep this up over the course of a season...and more importantly, in the playoffs. Remember when we were being told Aaron Voros was on pace to score 65 goals? Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

The Penguins were able to ignore Avery (a lacerated spleen helped), but the Devils and most other teams weren't. Sometimes it seemed like they worried too much about Avery, and the next thing you knew the game was over and we won...even if Avery did nothing but take them off their game.

This has come back at us the other way recently, first with Paul Mara attacking Patrick Kaleta of the Sabres, then with Paul Mara taking a penalty against Ruuttu on Saturday that set the tone for the game. And it's not just Mara, Ruuttu seemed to have the entire Ranger team incensed...and the next thing you knew the game was over and we lost.

I'm not advocating bringing Avery back, our potential cap woes prove it probably wasn't a bad idea to let him go...and it's not like he's done much for the Stars' win column either. But I am saying perhaps we need a Burish/Cooke/Laperierre type in our lineup, so we can stop worrying so much about guys like Ruuttu, and other teams can start worrying about us again.

Just seems like we're too easy to play against now...we can beat you with goaltending, and some quick forwards at times, and teams can beat us by exploiting our slow defense...but either way, it doesn't seem like we're a team that takes the other team off their game at all.

And goodness, the Garden is as quiet now as I've ever heard it...and we're 14-7-2 and in first place! Wasn't quiet very often when Avery was here....

Personally I would like to see Mara pull a Messier against one of these guys that are driving him nuts. Instead of trying to fight a guy who will cover up and make you shorthanded, pick your spot and do some damage with your stick or a well-timed elbow. You'll still get a penalty, but at least Ruuttu won't be laughing at you while you're on your way to the box...and if he is, he'll hopefully be doing it with less teeth.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Vitto79

No, all the Rangers need is a top line Winger for Gomez..........it will come but it may be a rental

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:35 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

We need a sniper

Its goals thats lacking

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Melrose_Jr.

1/2 of the people here will say no, the other 1/2 will say yes.

Not sure what the advantage would be for the Rangers to have someone to draw penalties for them until they can figure out what to do with the PP.

And I hate agitators, so I obviously say no.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Detroit doesnt really have one and they did just fine last year.... so if that's any indication...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:47 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
I felt that Jamtin was the man to do that...but...erm...he's not here anymore-_-

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't see what an agitator would do for this team.

11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Detroit doesnt really have one and they did just fine last year.... so if that's any indication...
Oh yeah, if you have the most talent in the league an agitator is less necessary. I don't think that applies here.

Old
11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't see what an agitator would do for this team.
Read my post and find out!!!

Old
11-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Oh yeah, if you have the most talent in the league an agitator is less necessary. I don't think that applies here.
You kinda answered the question there. Lets get more talent, not another agitator, we went down that road already, rather have the talent than the pest.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
I felt that Jamtin was the man to do that...but...erm...he's not here anymore-_-
I agree. I liked Jamtin. He was fast too. This team could have been so much more fun too watch then what we're seeing now. Really.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
ghirshorn

I think we do need an agitator because:

A) Fun to watch
B) Gets us more Power Plays...... wait that may be a bad thing

ghirshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Celestial Black

We need a pure goal scorer.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Stepan Razor

We need a power play.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't think so, but I've never been a fan of having one guy be responsible for trying to get the other team off their game. Like you said, if a team is able to ignore that player, they become pretty useless.

I think goals, or a the very least, good scoring chances, will give a team much more motivation than some guy going out there and trying to annoy the other team.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Larry Melnyk

The Rangers clearly need a scorer to play on the TOP TWO lines...Main priority....but an agitator who can wratchet up the energy with hits and other stuff, while not necessary, would also be very welcome..I'd rather have that then a fighter who can't do anything else but fight other team's goons. (which is what Orr is)..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
SML

Good God, yes. One thing we learned from Avery is that most nights, he could keep a team that was better at actually playing hockey than our team from actually doing that. While some say he was a sideshow and disrespectful to the game, he got results. People talk about "doing anything it takes to win" well, guys like Avery and Ruutuu and Tootoo, do just that. If you put them in a skills competition, they couldn't hang, but when you actually have to get it done, they make it work. I would offer Nigel Dawes for either Steve Ott or Jordin Tootoo. On the scoresheet, we probably lose the trade, but we're just way to easy to play against when you combine our lack of aggression with the lack of consequence for teams taking liberties on us because of our impotent powerplay. Something needs to be done.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
drewcon40

If we could clone an Esa Tikkanen in his prime then I am all for it.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

we need someone who comes to play in the 1st period every night and can score goals. whatever we call him is fine by me as long as he brings that to this team.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:45 PM
TylerDurden

we need to stop being preoccupied with other teams agitators and concentrate on the game isntead of one player

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You kinda answered the question there. Lets get more talent, not another agitator, we went down that road already, rather have the talent than the pest.
In this case, I totally agree.

Avery was at his best and most effective when the this team had talented personnel. The team today has very little talent. There aren't many skill players on this team. Agitators help create time and space for skill players. They aren't going to be much help to the many grinders that this team has.

Unfortunately, I don't see us getting any talent anytime soon, either. But that's a different story...

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Fletch

Agitator?

please define. If you say a guy like Holmstrom is an agitator because he mucks it up and bothers goal tenders and can score around the net, then yes, that's exactly what the Rangers need. If you define a agitator as a guy like Tyson Nash who just yaps, hits and doesn't do much of anything productive, then no. This team is lacking that true top six gritty player. Doesn't need to be a 30 goal scorer, but a 20 goal scorer to complement the rest of the group? Yes. It's what Aaron Voros was for about 5-6 games this season. That's what is missing (among other things - and of course you can argue that they're missing an elite winger, but hey, that's another story).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:53 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Sure agitators are fun to watch, but I would much rather have a guy like Voros or Orr respond to agitators by coming out with a flying elbow to the jaw or a crosscheck to the face of another teams star when they start pulling stupid **** like ruutu does.

Sure you'd get the generic 2-5 game suspension, but you give teams something to think about next time they send out a ****** like ruutu or cooke to mess with your guys.

Hell even if Drury was the guy to do it, it still wouldn't matter. There's no one on this team we would miss dearly for 2-5 games other than Lundqvist.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:17 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
If we could clone an Esa Tikkanen in his prime then I am all for it.
Jamtin was on a path towards that.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
What made you like the guy so much? The one pre season game you saw of him? He sucked in Detroit never made them . He came here did nothing in camp and left. We don't need a Avery type they are useless when it counts. Tough hockey I am all for but the Avery and Matt Cooke typetake more stupid minors then they draw

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote