HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kovalev?

Old
11-24-2008, 07:24 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Everyone hurts in the playoff. We got knocked out cause they had a free tickets to slam, hack and push Price. In result, Pice was out of his bubble, and Biron just needed to make the saves. Streit would be better then OB offencivly, but Management thinks that being bigger and stronger in front of Price wil pay come playoff.
We are only on this subjet cause OB is not doing the job. Not helping, our team strugles. Fans start looking at last year to se what was working and Streit did a great job at plugging holes and play the PP where Souray was. It worked, now this season the PP has not won us games so it must mean that Streit was the key last year to all our success. Streit was terrible on D last year. Was amazing on the 3-4 th line and PP. Not sure that if Streit becomes more of an targets during games, Islander fan will cry sooner then later about his Defensive side of things.
Streit improved each and every year since entering the NHL, by a huge margin. Remember, defenseman take longer to grow accustomed to the NHL than forwards. Plus only playing 25% of his games in the back-end, he might not of every felt comfortable. He may of felt as if he had to rush plays to make something happen, so he could keep his spot back there.

Streit might not of hit his defensive peak until this season or next. From reports and the game I've seen, Streit has looked very solid in his own end.. similar to Gorges here (though not quite as a reliable).

Streit's offensive game hasn't missed a beat. Actually, his offensive game may be better than last season. He's on pace for 20 goals and 57 points. The only player he really has to work with is Doug Weight and to a lesser extent Mike Comrie and Bill Guerin.

This is the year that Streit could very well make his first All-Star game. It's between him and Weight.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:51 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Kovalev knows he's not producing and is trying to compensate by doing even more. They should re-unite him with Lang. His dipsy-doodling is slowing down Plekanec and Higgins at the blue line when those guys need to be skating hard to be playing well.

As slow as a Lats - Lang - Kovalev line would be, I think it could work.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Kovalev knows he's not producing and is trying to compensate by doing even more. They should re-unite him with Lang. His dipsy-doodling is slowing down Plekanec and Higgins at the blue line when those guys need to be skating hard to be playing well.

As slow as a Lats - Lang - Kovalev line would be, I think it could work.
Kovy and Lang both need speed with them. Lang is not fast and Kovy likes to slow the play down and make a play off wing. the solution to Kovy's production is to get the PP working and for Plekanec to wake up.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:02 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

This is hilarious. I knew this would happen last year. It’s like everyone has 1 year memories…Just last year people were saying “make Kovy the captain! Trade Koivu! He sucks! This is Kovy’s team!!!”

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Newhabfan

It would be hilarious if it would not be sad.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
This is hilarious. I knew this would happen last year. It’s like everyone has 1 year memories…Just last year people were saying “make Kovy the captain! Trade Koivu! He sucks! This is Kovy’s team!!!”
Yeah...predictable.

Kovalev will bounce back. I'll bet anything he goes on a ferocious tear soon that pushes his totals up to last year by seasons end.

At least he's generating something, albeit not putting up the points..he's still a pain in the butt to handle for the opposing D. Same can't be said for Plekanec...it seems to me that his humbling experience in last years playoffs has beaten him down.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:54 PM
LePoche69

I don't think trading Kovalev is such a stupid idea and I do believe it could happen given that :

1- Trading one of Habs' offensive skilled winger for, let's say, a sandpaper-agressive player who can play on the top 3 lines, or a real #2 or 3 d-man would make sense to create a more balanced lineup. And that winger being Kovalev makes sense given his age + the fact that he's UFA next year + his propension of bringing the team spirit down.

2- Kovalev is 35... What did Kovalev did in the past that may convince fans he could play the same way 2 seasons in a row? What? Kovalev suddenly became a resilient player, a hard worker, a true leader, etc, at 35-36 years old? Like that? He changed completly from what he was the last 15 years just because he's wearing the Habs' jersey? Yeah, sure... I'd like to see him perform better, but I couldn't say I'm surprised...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
JAVO16

I think the ne most convincing reason why we shoudn't trade Kovy is because of the powerplay work he can do. Things aren't going his way right now but when his game starts coming back, our powerplay comes back too. He's never been an dominant even strenght player and many other players in the league could be more useful than him if we actually needed 5-on-5 firepower but that's not really the case. All we need now is our powerplay to click like last year. Trading Kovalev sure as hell won't help that and trading him for a top 4 D with a big shot doesn't really help our powerplay since we're loosing a big part of why it was so successful in the past years in Kovy.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 01:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

While i'm not jumping in the trade Kovalev bandwagon, I don't think it would be THAT bad for the Habs...

just though of some lines we saw in the past (llast two years, beginning of this year) and thought we would still be very good offensively...

- Latendresse-Koivu-Tanguay : played great when together this year
- Higgins-Plekanec-A. Kostytsin : that line alone almost brought us in the playoffs two years ago when Carbs put them together
- S. Kostytsin-Lang-Kostopoulos : they too, played great together at the beginning of the year, Kostopoulos may not produce much offensively but he's enough of a grinder to create space for the other two

4th line : Bégin, laraque, Lapierre

get rid of Dandeneault while at it and you just got yourself another 6M$ cap space to play with, and created enough roster space for call-ups (Chipchura, D'Agostini, Pacioretty - depending on the need).

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I don't think trading Kovalev is such a stupid idea and I do believe it could happen given that :

1- Trading one of Habs' offensive skilled winger for, let's say, a sandpaper-agressive player who can play on the top 3 lines, or a real #2 or 3 d-man would make sense to create a more balanced lineup. And that winger being Kovalev makes sense given his age + the fact that he's UFA next year + his propension of bringing the team spirit down.

2- Kovalev is 35... What did Kovalev did in the past that may convince fans he could play the same way 2 seasons in a row? What? Kovalev suddenly became a resilient player, a hard worker, a true leader, etc, at 35-36 years old? Like that? He changed completly from what he was the last 15 years just because he's wearing the Habs' jersey? Yeah, sure... I'd like to see him perform better, but I couldn't say I'm surprised...
Yeah.. what about changing our 30 goals player for what.. Sean Avery? Fair deal isnt it. We'll be trading our piece of **** for their piece of ****.

This is ridiculous, or lets trade Kovalev for a 2nd D, of course, we can get a 2nd D on another team by giving an old lazy 35 yrs old dude that is purposely trying to bringing down his own team.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:31 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yeah.. what about changing our 30 goals player for what.. Sean Avery? Fair deal isnt it. We'll be trading our piece of **** for their piece of ****.

This is ridiculous, or lets trade Kovalev for a 2nd D, of course, we can get a 2nd D on another team by giving an old lazy 35 yrs old dude that is purposely trying to bringing down his own team.
Wow... Way to presume and deform what I was saying... Did I ever suggest a 1 on 1 trade? Did I suggest a name? Heck, did I suggest any trade?

I'm sure there's a possibility to make such a trade around someone like Kovalev. When playoffs will be closer, I'm sure 3 or 4 teams could use the secondary scoring Kovalev could bring, or even primary scoring if he's in a good mood. I'm not saying Kovalev should be the only one involved in the trade...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Since Kovalev is an impending UFA, maybe we can deal conditional picks with Minnesota, take Gaborik off their hands and give them David Fischer and another mid-level prospect.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Since Kovalev is an impending UFA, maybe we can deal conditional picks with Minnesota, take Gaborik off their hands and give them David Fischer and another mid-level prospect.

Now that would be sweet

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Huh?

Trade Kovalev Fischer PLUS another prospect for Gaborik?

You guys whine about Kovalev well he has twice the heart of Gaborik who's always hurt or pretending to be hurt...plus we have to throw in a top defensive prospect plus another prospect. Wow...glad you're not GM.

Old
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Huh?

You guys whine about Kovalev well he has twice the heart of Gaborik who's always hurt or pretending to be hurt...plus we have to throw in a top defensive prospect plus another prospect. Wow...glad you're not GM.

Gaborik is 100x better then Kovalev and I would rather have 40 games of Gaborik then 82 of Kovalev.

And if you look back at the Wild run a couple of years ago,you would never say Gabs has no heart.

Old
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Huh?

If you want to upgrade, you have to give. I'm sure if you propose this to the wild fans, Kovalev, David Fischer and Brock Trotter, they'd say no.

But, at least with Gaborik we get more speed, we get a pure sniper, something this team desperately lack. Fits a need way more than Kovalev does and Gaborik may re-sign with us, while Kovalev is not getting any younger. And according to you blind ****s, is always injured which is why he is useless on the ice.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Well there will be at the very least a business decision to make at one point. Do we keep everybody? Do we just wait in the summer with the risk of losing players for nothing?

Clearly Kovy was demonstrating that he was a changed man last year which is the reason why fans had a lot of faith in him. Then, some realize that he's good old Kovy again, 2 great, 1 bad, 1 bad, 2 greats...Add to the fact that he's not getting any younger......

And in the end, if he continues that way.....is it the kind of performance that makes you happy to give him a salary raise. If so, for how many years? And then who do you sacrifice?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Erik Estrada

-Last year if I had to pick either Koivu or Kovalev (based solely on their play not other intangibles), I would have picked Kovalev. This season I wouldn't even think twice, it's Koivu.
-With older players (like Kovalev and Koivu), we need to reevaluate play every year. Some maintain their play, some don't.
-Kovalev has either lost a step or he's not hustling. He tries to use his skills to pull off plays that just can't be pulled at the speed he's moving this season. If he's lost a step he needs to adjust his play (for example, by not keeping the puck as long as he does).
-I think he's the major reason of our lack of success recently. He hasn't been helping any lines he's been put on this season. His time on the PP is just not as dominant. As the best player on the Habs last season, very high expectations were placed on his shoulders. He hasn't been meeting them yet.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

Gaborik is 100x better then Kovalev and I would rather have 40 games of Gaborik then 82 of Kovalev.

And if you look back at the Wild run a couple of years ago,you would never say Gabs has no heart.
Then get Wilds season tickets.

What has he done since then? Gone 3-2-5 in 11 games and missed an average of 20+ games a year over the last 5 years.

Too many people on this board overrate every player on other teams as there is a daily thread on a player we absolutely have to have.

Old
11-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
-Last year if I had to pick either Koivu or Kovalev (based solely on their play not other intangibles), I would have picked Kovalev. This season I wouldn't even think twice, it's Koivu.
-With older players (like Kovalev and Koivu), we need to reevaluate play every year. Some maintain their play, some don't.
-Kovalev has either lost a step or he's not hustling. He tries to use his skills to pull off plays that just can't be pulled at the speed he's moving this season. If he's lost a step he needs to adjust his play (for example, by not keeping the puck as long as he does).
-I think he's the major reason of our lack of success recently. He hasn't been helping any lines he's been put on this season. His time on the PP is just not as dominant. As the best player on the Habs last season, very high expectations were placed on his shoulders. He hasn't been meeting them yet.
I don't see Kovalev playing any different than he did last year. He's playing hard, strong on the puck and creating chances. What has changed is that so far they have not replaced Streit's shot on the PP and his linemates are both far inferior from last year. Not sure how it's Kovy's fault that Plekanec is not creating things with his speed and A.Kost nearly got his head taken off took awhile to get going.

There is more to evaluating players than just looking at numbers.

Old
11-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Then get Wilds season tickets.

What has he done since then? Gone 3-2-5 in 11 games and missed an average of 20+ games a year over the last 5 years.

Too many people on this board overrate every player on other teams as there is a daily thread on a player we absolutely have to have.
If there is a fan base that overate players,it's us Hab fans

Old
11-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If you want to upgrade, you have to give. I'm sure if you propose this to the wild fans, Kovalev, David Fischer and Brock Trotter, they'd say no.

But, at least with Gaborik we get more speed, we get a pure sniper, something this team desperately lack. Fits a need way more than Kovalev does and Gaborik may re-sign with us, while Kovalev is not getting any younger. And according to you blind ****s, is always injured which is why he is useless on the ice.
We don't need more speed, we need to use the speed we have.

If you don't believe me that he is always injured, go check the stats yourself and see who the blind **** is.

Old
11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I don't see Kovalev playing any different than he did last year. He's playing hard, strong on the puck and creating chances. What has changed is that so far they have not replaced Streit's shot on the PP and his linemates are both far inferior from last year. Not sure how it's Kovy's fault that Plekanec is not creating things with his speed and A.Kost nearly got his head taken off took awhile to get going.

There is more to evaluating players than just looking at numbers.
It's funny but the only game that I saw Alex working is the comeback against the Isles and Plekanec also had 4 points that night.Pretty ironic

If he is that great of a player,then he should make his linemates better not vice versa

Old
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
We don't need more speed, we need to use the speed we have.

If you don't believe me that he is always injured, go check the stats yourself and see who the blind **** is.
but we know about his injury problems,and we would rather have that then locker room problems,did you ever think of that?

You say we don't need more speed,did you notice with Lang and Laraque we got slower compared to last year?Are you watching the same games as us?

Old
11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
but we know about his injury problems,and we would rather have that then locker room problems,did you ever think of that?

You say we don't need more speed,did you notice with Lang and Laraque we got slower compared to last year?Are you watching the same games as us?
Laraque plays an average of 5-7 minutes on the nights that he plays. Lang is the same speed as Smolinski, and stronger on the puck. We replaced Ryder with Tanguay, that's an upgrade.

We were fast last year, we should be as fast...but in the NHL you are only as fast as you play. In other words when you play the trap, play on your heels and just react to the opposition, you look a lot slower than when you are forcing the play with an up tempo style and creating turnovers.