HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT - O'Byrne loses it for Habs

Old
11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Travis Moen

vCash: 500
Just saw the interview with O'byrne on RDS. I really feel sorry for him.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Natural Habs Fan

Are people seriously hating on Kovalev for tonights game? The guy showed up tonight but just couldn't get any results.

Plekanec looks like he forgot to play hockey. He's constantly trying to go from wide to inside with the backhand but fails every time. He's playing more like a winger than a centre on the offense. It's not that he's not trying... he's just not playing effectively.

O'Byrne... Man would I hate to be him tonight. People were calling for him to be demoted before the own goal so I understand the frustration. Unless you hope for him never to play for us again you can't bench him though. He needs to play to gain confidence.

This has been a really tough month and with Detroit, Washington & Buffalo up next I don't know if it's going to get any better.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
he made a mistake, big deal, it's a regular season game.

but as usual the montreal crowd will chase a player away and he'll eventually end up being a very solid player, elsewhere.

i don't know what made me feel worse tonight.. the morons booing streit or the morons who chanted o'byrne's name.
I liked Streit as a Hab and was sorry to see him leave. I think O'Byrne has improved considerably and he'll likely develop into a solid #4 or #5 D-man. A mistake is a mistake. The Habs had plenty of chances to put this game away earlier making the O'Byrne flub a non issue. At least the team worked pretty hard and I think they're turning the corner. As for the chanting, I suspect the same fans will cheer O'Byrne wildly when he starts handing out some decent hits. Nothing new here.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
Unbelievable picking on a guy like O'Byrne. You guys are nuts sometimes. In my opinion this game is nothing more than a shadow of the last few games the habs have had and there inability to put teams away on the power play which is horrible. Lately the habs have either been winning games or loosing games by one point and the more that goes on the more bad brakes like this will happen. Its a bad habit of getting into.

I think it is totally useless blaming this on one guy. It will just take away the attention of the collective inconsistency this team has been having this year.
As soon as I saw that you posted I knew it would be something sensible and needed in the thread.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Year 101

Im really Pissed off. The only thing that makes me feel slightly better is the fact that I remember when Gorges made that pass and it was intercepted really easily and they scored. Gorges name was chanted and he felt terribly but now look at him.

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
the PP costs us this game.
You forgot the

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Get real. The fans have every right to ***** and moan about O'byrne's garbage tonight.

I've played hockey for 14 years, and none of my teams have managed to do this.. house hockey for christ sake.. and i've never seen this before.

It's a mistake that should NEVER be made, this is professional hockey, nothing wrong with a little accountability.
I have played hockey for 20+ years and have seen players score on there own net, it happens and it happened to Steve Smith who still went on to win a Cup and have a great career...it happens and if this is your first time seeing it maybe you and your house league buddies need to watch more games or quit playing against the girls.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Ok I know O'Byrne's play was absolutely stupid but...

When you go 1 for 7 on the PP against a bunch of AHL scrubs with an AHL goalie do you really deserve to win?

When your top 3 lines can't even score 1 goal against the New York Islanders do you think they really deserve to win the game?
Those "AHL scrubs with an AHL goalie" have won, like, 6 straight.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
totalrecall

I wonder how fast this will spread on other boards..

probably the bruins will be the first to post

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Just saw the interview with O'byrne on RDS. I really feel sorry for him.
And I'm pissed off at the org. for putting him in that position. They are responsible for this. Not the fans and not even O'Byrne.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ROEN
HabsHQ

But seriously ... thank GOD we're going on the road

wow @ what Morisette just said

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I liked Streit as a Hab and was sorry to see him leave. I think O'Byrne has improved considerably and he'll likely develop into a solid #4 or #5 D-man. A mistake is a mistake. The Habs had plenty of chances to put this game away earlier making the O'Byrne flub a non issue. At least the team worked pretty hard and I think they're turning the corner. As for the chanting, I suspect the same fans will cheer O'Byrne wildly IF he starts handing out some decent hits. Nothing new here.
One small correction ...with that size , he has not excuses to play so softly. Maybe he just lacks the guts.

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:27 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
I don't know. But they're not helping him...
THIS IS THE NHL!!!!! PEOPLE GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO PLAY IN IT, O'BYRNE GETS PAID MORE MONEY TO A FUGGIN GAME THAN MOST PEOPLE MAKE IN A FEW YEARS OF REGULAR ARDUOUS WORK!!!! MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE FANS CHEER THEIR ***** OFF FOR THE HABS AT THE BELL CENTER, AND EVERYWHERE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER. IF YOU CAN'T CUT IT THEN GTFO!!!!! (not you I mean the man in question)

Fans aren't there to hold the players' hand....sheesh...its like you guys are defending a 4 year old who made the same mistake in peewee.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
DaHabMan

o'byrne has played well the last couple games and in this one but he makes ONE mistake and it always ends up in the net. His play is turning around and he'll recover from this, as long as the stupid fans don't boo him everytime he touches the puck.

DaHabMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
THIS IS THE NHL!!!!! PEOPLE GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO PLAY IN IT, O'BYRNE GETS PAID MORE MONEY TO A FUGGIN GAME THAN MOST PEOPLE MAKE IN A FEW YEARS OF REGULAR ARDUOUS WORK!!!! MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE FANS CHEER THEIR ***** OFF FOR THE HABS AT THE BELL CENTER, AND EVERYWHERE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER. IF YOU CAN'T CUT IT THEN GTFO!!!!! (not you I mean the man in question)

Fans aren't there to hold the players' hand....sheesh...its like you guys are defending a 4 year old who made the same mistake in peewee.
I agree with you

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MastaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Get real. The fans have every right to ***** and moan about O'byrne's garbage tonight.

I've played hockey for 14 years, and none of my teams have managed to do this.. house hockey for christ sake.. and i've never seen this before.

It's a mistake that should NEVER be made, this is professional hockey, nothing wrong with a little accountability.
They have every right to be morons, yes we know and we see it often enough.

O'Byrne is young. Yes he's not NHL caliber yet but if he improves, he'll be a much needed physical presence on defence.

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

Personally I would trade Kovalev for an used jockstrap but I doubt any GM would be willing to overpay for Kovalev..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Watch O'Byrne get waived and picked up or traded and then turn into Ron Hainsey or Francis Beauchemin part 2. Only then will he be effective. Typical Habs luck. It's a tough place to play, but when you **** up, you won't get mercy. It used to be what bred cup winners, now it makes players shy away. I don't think you give up on the guy yet. He obviously needs some AHL seasoning but to want him gone forever, well that's not smart. Gainey will stick with him until it's apparent we have other d-men more worthy and more ready. If O'Byrne can't lift himself out of the funk, he'll be the odd man out. But Gainey's not going to just cut him loose.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Chill77

Quote:

IAWTP

Chill77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Franky Gee

Quote:

Amen to that, Montreal fans expect the BEST from their players and O'Byrne gave us the worst tonight.

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

Anyone notice Kovalev's shot these days. Its reminding me of Koivu's and that ain't a good thing. It just doesn't seem to have the same mustard on it as it did.

The effort was very good tonight. FINALLY. And at the end of the day, thats the most important thing. Hopefully this will actually have the team rally around the youngster.

Still though, the PP and the PK is what really lost this game for the habs. Somebody needs to be a trigger man.

And the PK. Get Kovalev off it. It ain't working and maybe less ice time would be beneficial. You have Kostopolous, Higgins, Begin, Plekanec, Dandenault, Lapierre and Lang to kill your penalties.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
yvan74

Obyrne should NOT play in the NHL right now! He's just not up to the level of play!

Hell even I could make passes through the banks!

Have you guys noticed that the only passes he makes are on the boards? Guess carbo told him to just be safe and bank it!

After Hammer and markov we have nothing on the blue line!

yvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The team didn't help O'Byrne out at all though. When a player on your team makes a mistake like that and you have a PP right after, you gotta show conviction and heart to repair the damage. They left O'Byrne out to dry with the sorry performance in the OT/Shootout and that powerplay in the dying moments of the third.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Personally I would trade Kovalev for an used jockstrap but I doubt any GM would be willing to overpay for Kovalev..
your originality plays hell with my colon.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Those "AHL scrubs with an AHL goalie" have won, like, 6 straight.
4-3-1 in their last 8 before playing us with 2 of those wins against the even more pathetic Senators. Pretty close to 6 straight wins, though.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote