HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul on trading block? (November 22nd)

Old
11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Lupul is listed at 6'1 and 205 lbs.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:59 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
give it a shot, but im pessimistic about that line. i could see them be a defensive black hole. would love to see metro dropped to 4th line though.
I wouldn't be very optimistic about their defense either...but I'd still be in favor of those lines because of the awesome balance it would spread across the top nine, and the increase in match-up difficulty it would hopefully create for the opposition. And while Metro is more responsible than Danny defensively, there's also the hope that Danny's presence on that line will create better puck movement and more possession in the offensive zone, and there's no better defense than spending time in the opposition's zone.

The other thing is, the Richards and Carter lines are good to go right now, no need to fool with them...and if there is any forward I wanna see producing more amongst our forward group it's Lupul, followed by Upshall. I want to see more out of both of those guys. I know Richards is usually the kickstarter for struggling wingers, but I definitely think Danny can be a good fit in this case. Lupul can be his Gagne...Scotty is also capable of sniping out some goals here and there, and hopefully Scotty could also place more of an effort on creating havoc in front of the net if he were to play with those two.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Terence Peterman

for everyone asking what we'd get in return from st louis for lupul: guys like johnson, perron, and oshie are too much. anything else is too little. this includes their goaltending prospects.

st. louis isn't a good fit.

as for letting him play with briere and upshall, i'll be the first in the thread to say this isn't nhl09, and it doesn't make sense in terms of 3rd lines. i'd love to leave richards between gagne and knuble but it's just not going to happen.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:09 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
It's the complete opposite of a typical 3rd line, a checking line.
Who said anything about them being a typical 3rd line, a checking line?

The notion that such a line is even essential for a hockey team is a stale one. The biggest reason most teams have one is that their top nine isn't talented enough to provide the kind of options ours can.

The single greatest thing about last year's Flyers team was the balanced scoring attack we were able to achieve across our top three lines....it hasn't been quite as existent so far this year, and I'm talking about a deliberate effort to get back to that.

Old
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Richard's line and Carter's line can match-up with any line in the NHL and be able to keep those lines in check defensively. They are also extremely offensive and makes the other team try and put their best checkers out against them. Our 4th line is fairly capable of being a competent checking line going out there for 8-10 minutes, especially with Metro back there.

Upshall-Briere-Lupul would be a perfect line to send out there and cause havoc for other teams. . . ok you want to put your first line out there with them? Fine . . . we'll be glad to send out Carter or Richards against your 3rd line. I think Lupul and Upshall would love to take on more responsibility against better opponents and throw bodies around and score.

I'm not saying it as a lasting solutions, but briere is now going to be coming off two injuries, in the span of a few weeks. Give him less 5 on 5 time, but also give him two guys who can create space for him by throwing the body around, while also being good scorers. I think Briere will be able to jumpstart Lupul.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Terence Peterman

the point is you don't want the richards and carter lines dealing with every other team's top line if they don't have to. in this case, they do. any case, one of them is going to have to. that's fine. but it takes away from other things they could be doing.

this team's not structured like a true hockey team. teams that are win. we shouldn't be thinking of this "flexibility" the team has as 100% positive.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:30 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
the point is you don't want the richards and carter lines dealing with every other team's top line if they don't have to. in this case, they do. any case, one of them is going to have to. that's fine. but it takes away from other things they could be doing.
Umm, wat?

You absolutely do want one of the Richards or Carter lines against the other team's top line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
this team's not structured like a true hockey team. teams that are win. we shouldn't be thinking of this "flexibility" the team has as 100% positive.
Actually, it is 100% positive.

We could have a nice balance in our top nine with something like...

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Nodl
Upshall-Briere-Lupul

Or, we could do something more traditional, like...

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Upshall-Metro-Knuble/Nodl

We have two kinds of options, most teams would love to...but only have one. How is that anything but 100% positive again?

Old
11-24-2008, 04:40 PM
XS Chop

A little perspective to add here. Lupul has 7 goals in 19 games, that puts him on pace for 30. Not bad for a guy in a slump I'd say. I think some are looking at his value to us, a team with 3 lines full of 20+ and 30+ goal scorers with the possiblility of a couple of 40+ guys in the mix, a luxury almost no one else has. He hits pretty hard and often as well. He may not be a solid two way guy but to many teams he could be worth quite a bit. We have our problems but we take some things for granted, other teams would kill for some of what we have in our top 9. I for one would hate to see Lupul go, if he does I hope it's for someone who fills a real need, not just salary room to fit Jones back in the lineup.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Chainsaw

St Louis Just Pulled the trgger on a trade
Toronto Maple Leafs have traded defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and forward Alex Steen to the St. Louis Blues for forward Lee Stempniak.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....cles&Itemid=55

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Shoeny

briere too small for that line...metro is just as short and that line isnt being exposed. this board has become way too pessimistic.

nodl was lost out there on the stars third goal. lets not give him praise until he shows he has some endurance. He was benched for a reason, he turns the puck over too much and doesnt make smart plays on offense. Hes young and would benefit just as much as Giroux

if lupul is traded who replaces him. the guy they get in a trade. it would essentially turn into a salary dump.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
If the cap is actually going down then Lupul might have to be traded. But it can wait till the off season.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:26 PM
panayiotis

terrible cap number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Probably BS.

The St. Louis Blues are desperate for some offensive help, and are rumored to be interested in acquiring Philadelphia Flyers forward Joffrey Lupul.

http://brochuishockey.blogspot.com/
Lupul was signed to a crazy extension by Homer. I find it difficult to believe any team will take that on there books. The blues are bleeding bigtime. It would be nice.....

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Lupul was signed to a crazy extension by Homer. I find it difficult to believe any team will take that on there books. The blues are bleeding bigtime. It would be nice.....
Not terrible.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:50 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i could see a team like CBJ or ATL or PHX having need of a player like lupul.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:31 PM
panayiotis

yup

Quote:
Not terrible.
4 years 17 mill for chronic under achiever. Yup!

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Not terrible.
It's pretty terrible for how he's playing right now. If this play lasts for the season, I want no part of him at $4M+ a season next year. He's barely worth his cap number now.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
If he pops 30 goals, that cap figure is perfectly reasonable. The problem with Lupul isn't his cap figure, it's the amount of cap we already have invested in forwards and need to invest in JVR whenever he shows up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If he pops 30 goals, that cap figure is perfectly reasonable. The problem with Lupul isn't his cap figure, it's the amount of cap we already have invested in forwards and need to invest in JVR whenever he shows up.
I was an advocate of trading Lupul for this reason before the season started. Now I don't care what the reason is. I don't want any part of Edmonton Lupul. If he plays like **** this entire season and pops 30 goals next season, what's to say he doesn't return to Edmonton Lupul the season after that? It's too frustrating and a waste of talent/cap space. There's better ways to invest our money.

I like the guy, but **** his play is frustrating right now.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:10 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Lupul is listed at 6'1 and 205 lbs.
All of it Charmin-soft.

Sorry Flyers fans. We found out the truth about Pitkanen, and now you're seeing the real Lupul.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
All of it Charmin-soft.

Sorry Flyers fans. We found out the truth about Pitkanen, and now you're seeing the real Lupul.
He's on pace for 29 goals right now...and had a beauty setup earlier.

People too often forget that good goal-scorers below the "elite" level have a tendency to be streaky. Gagne does the same type of crap. Maybe Lupul isn't a complete player and worth all that much when he's not scoring, but them the shakes.

Old
11-25-2008, 12:50 AM
ELab2

Quote:

People too often forget that good goal-scorers below the "elite" level have a tendency to be streaky. Gagne does the same type of crap. Maybe Lupul isn't a complete player and worth all that much when he's not scoring, but them the shakes.
Thems not the shakes. I don't mind the streaky offense to a point. But when he's cold he's totally cold. He's not hitting, his defense sucks, he's not skating well. It's absolutely absurd.

When he's hot he does all those things pretty damn well. He's really got to learn to give a consistent effort and have consistent passion.

that being said I don't see why we move him now. There really isn't much this team needs at the moment that Lupul could reasonably get us. After the season for a great goaltending prospect and some draft picks maybe.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:55 AM
blah

Quote:

The thing is, Lupul is entirely capable of affecting the game in other ways, but for whatever reason, he only plays when he feels like it. Hartnell went through like a 25 game scoring drought to start the season last year. However, he still hit everything that moved and helped in ways other than scoring, and the offense eventually came. The same can't be said for Lupul. I'd rather have Pitkanen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
that being said I don't see why we move him now. There really isn't much this team needs at the moment that Lupul could reasonably get us. After the season for a great goaltending prospect and some draft picks maybe.
It's doubtful they'd be looking top pairing dmen or first line forwards for him, so they should be able to use Lupul to fill some needs. I think Lupul easily gets them a physical third line forward and maybe that elusive goaltending prospect we've been crying for, maybe more.

Last edited by blah: 11-25-2008 at 01:12 AM.
blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Thems not the shakes. I don't mind the streaky offense to a point. But when he's cold he's totally cold. He's not hitting, his defense sucks, he's not skating well. It's absolutely absurd.

When he's hot he does all those things pretty damn well. He's really got to learn to give a consistent effort and have consistent passion.

His hitting is vastly overrated in both directions...and his defense is never that good.

Lupul is a pure goal-scorer, for better and worse. And like "point getters" in all sports, he feeds off of his own success. When he's scoring goals he's amped up, confident, aggressive, and all is right in the world. When he's not scoring goals, everything is not right in the world. It's not absolutely absurd, it's common to all sports. Watch HR hitters in baseball, shooters in basketball, etc. They all do that stuff when things aren't going there way offensively.

Now, you may not like that...you may want a team of Mike Richards. Unfortunately, there aren't enough of those type of guys that can play at this level to fill out a roster.

I also think people with zero direct knowledge of the person, or the background to do so should stay away from the pseudo-psychology. It's almost assuredly inaccurate, and, most likely, not worth the time used to utter it. Passion, effort, etc...these guys are trying, and they have a passion for the sport. You just aren't going to get 100% return all the time, no matter what. And not getting 100% return doesn't mean the passion and effort isn't there in the sense that it's discussed--namely, in the sense that all he has to do is try harder and he'll succeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
The thing is, Lupul is entirely capable of affecting the game in other ways, but for whatever reason, he only plays when he feels like it. Hartnell went through like a 25 game scoring drought to start the season last year. However, he still hit everything that moved and helped in ways other than scoring, and the offense eventually came. The same can't be said for Lupul. I'd rather have Pitkanen.
Ah, but you see, Lupul isn't Hartnell...and there aren't too many Hartnell's in the league.

Old
11-25-2008, 01:16 AM
blah

I know he isn't Hartnell, but that still doesn't mean he has to be invisible when he's not scoring goals.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
I know he isn't Hartnell, but that still doesn't mean he has to be invisible when he's not scoring goals.
No, it doesn't. But it's also why I continuously argue that Hartnell is well worth his money. There aren't a lot of guys that play the game the way he does anymore in the NHL. At least not guys that play that way and are capable of potting 20+ goals.

That being said, Hartnell can't score at the rate I'd expect to see Lupul finish at this year. Lupul struggled during this section of the season last year and then went crazy in December, as I recall. Lupul's one of those guys who shows up with a loud bang when he's got the feeling.