HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit European Scouts Do it AGAIN!!!

Old
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
HSF

vCash: 500
Detroit European Scouts Do it AGAIN!!!

Jiri Hudler
Gp 19
G: 7
A: 11
Pts:18

WOW! Their scouts are so damn gooodd!

I miss the days when we had awesome scouts... look at Boston with Charelli and that scout that we had that went to the HABS!!!

Stupid Muckler i hate you, for getting rid of our great scouts

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Why is this in the sens forum?

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
jordan7hm

Because Muckler got rid of all our good scouts, apparently.

Here's another idea though: maybe it's not just that Detroit drafts well, but because their prospects are massively insulated in a winning culture, given both time and teaching in order to develop into the excellent hockey players they seem to produce.

If Zetterberg does not play on Detroit and develop within that system and behind guys like Yzerman, he is not the player he is today, period.

Football example, though I may be getting a bit ahead of myself based on the last two weeks: Was Cassels great scouting by the Pats, or the product of a system and a winning culture. Probably a little bit of both.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:01 PM
The Fuhr*

- Marshall Johnson was a head scout on the team, became GM for a bit and then he did not want to do it anymore and left Ottawa, this is where Muckler came in. Cause Johnson left.

- Jarmo Kekalainen was upset that he was not picked for the GM job and that Muckler got picked so he went to St.Louis.

- Have no idea why Timmins left

- Frank Jay was let go last year by Murray.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:01 PM
The Fuhr*

Also Hudler was a first round talent on draft day but fell to the third round because of his size.

Old
11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
HSF

well i posted this here, cause at one time we had awesome scouts who also found hidden gems. recently our scouting has been sub par, i hope Murray seems to be making good picks

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Slippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
well i posted this here, cause at one time we had awesome scouts who also found hidden gems. recently our scouting has been sub par, i hope Murray seems to be making good picks
Zack Smith? Brian Elliott?

Not Zetterberg,but neither highly touted either, and are showing nice development. That is the key.

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Xspyrit

Well there is still a ratio of success in later rounds and it's not only benefitting Detroit, but the Wings are "kinda out of this league" since a dozen years, they probably have a better ratio than most teams...

Gems are hard to find but if you look at Elliott, Regin, Zubov, Zack Smith, and maybe Grant, Petersson, Wiercioch, Caporusso... we have a ton of prospects that could end up being steals.

We did it before with guys like Bochenski, but after that the "Muckler period" wasn't really bright in terms of drafting (except a couple picks), prolly a reason why he was fired...

Last edited by Xspyrit: 11-25-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Well there is still a ratio of success in later rounds and it's not only benefitting Detroit, but the Wings are "kinda out of this league" since a dozen years, they probably have a better ratio than most teams...

Gems are hard to find but if you look at Elliott, Regin, Zubov, and maybe Grant, Petersson, Wiercioch, Caporusso... we have a ton of prospects that could end up being steals.

We did it before with guys like Bochenski, but after that the "Muckler period" wasn't really bright in terms of drafting, prolly a reason why he was fired...

Old
11-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Ok, i edited for you and your grand-father

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:34 AM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post

Here's another idea though: maybe it's not just that Detroit drafts well, but because their prospects are massively insulated in a winning culture, given both time and teaching in order to develop into the excellent hockey players they seem to produce.

If Zetterberg does not play on Detroit and develop within that system and behind guys like Yzerman, he is not the player he is today, period.

Football example, though I may be getting a bit ahead of myself based on the last two weeks: Was Cassels great scouting by the Pats, or the product of a system and a winning culture. Probably a little bit of both.
You really hit the nail on the head here, IMO. I believe it was Hossa (I could be entirely wrong though) who pointed out that there's nothing wrong with playing guys like Zubov in your bottom six and slowly bringing them up the lineup. Detroit's done it, and they're able to do it because of their outstanding system.

Some kudos absoloutely has to go to their outstanding European scouting staff, but what some people tend to overlook the value of a strong system. If a touted player comes into a bad situation, his development can be ruined. You can look at examples like Bell and Coliacovo (who IIRC, were good players on Canada's WJC team) in Toronto or Fleury in Pittsburgh (at least until maybe recently) who's growth was really stunted by not having strong support that a successful system exudes. Hopefully we're not going to see this with Stamkos in TB, but that's off-topic.

What Murray's trying to do, IMO, is build that system, through depth and an increased focus on Bingo. Hopefully eventually, the next time we have a Zubov, he can spend at least a year on our 3rd line getting used to NHL competition before he's thrown into a top-6 situation. Again, although this may be too hopeful, this situation arises because we have the depth that a player like Zubov's on the third line because our top-6 is full of capable players.

Whether Murray can accomplish that or not is debatable for sure, but he seems to be putting an effort forth to establishing a successful system, at least IMO.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:46 AM
bert

Quote:
Also Hudler was a first round talent on draft day but fell to the third round because of his size.
exactly everyone knew about him but for some reason no one took him.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:50 AM
Metallian*

Quote:

- Jarmo Kekalainen was upset that he was not picked for the GM job and that Muckler got picked so he went to St.Louis.
Jarmo is the scouting-god

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:56 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post

Im a big believer in this as well, which is why I think Bingo being a good team is so damn important. Muckler gutted Bingo, Murray has stocked it. People bash his "4th line player" signings, but those players are signed to be top 6 guys in the AHL.

Developing on a winning team gives players the confidence they need to be succesful and take risks.

Also, not on the level of Hudler...but we pulled an NHLer out of NOWHERE this year in Winchester.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote