HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The BIG problem in my opinion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2008, 07:47 PM
  #26
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
The more I think about it, the more I think Montreal should trade for Tom Preissing. He's out of favor in Los Angeles, but the guy is a good offensive defender and can play a regular shift. He's no savior, but he might be a good Streit replacement.

I like Josh Gorges, but I don't see the upside of him long term. He's not a pure shutdown defender, he's not overly physical, and he isn't going to score much. He's good, to be sure, but he's basically just eating up a depth chart spot. It would be better to have someone who is equally average at all departments, but excels at one area. Think, Komisarek on defense/hitting. Bouillon, speed/grit. O'Byrne, size.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 07:51 PM
  #27
mariolemieux66
Registered User
 
mariolemieux66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Montreal should trade for Tom Preissing. He's out of favor in Los Angeles, but the guy is a good offensive defender and can play a regular shift. He's no savior, but he might be a good Streit replacement.

I like Josh Gorges, but I don't see the upside of him long term. He's not a pure shutdown defender, he's not overly physical, and he isn't going to score much. He's good, to be sure, but he's basically just eating up a depth chart spot. It would be better to have someone who is equally average at all departments, but excels at one area. Think, Komisarek on defense/hitting. Bouillon, speed/grit. O'Byrne, size.
I agree with your Gorges description and icould add to it by saying that he is not fast or a good skater either.He does'nt have much of a shot.
Gorges=good # 5 d-men

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:29 PM
  #28
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
This is what we really need.

You know what really rallied the troops last year? An Awesome goal celebration, I, for one, think its time that it be brought back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marcamjg1.jpg‎ (105.8 KB, 9 views)

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
  #29
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,269
vCash: 500
Higgins inconsistent? why I never...

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
  #30
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Higgins, Kovalev, Markov, Sergei, Latendresse, Komisarek, Lang, Plekanec inconsistent? why I never...
Fixed it for you

I'd have put Brisebois in, but he's consitent. Consistently sucking.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:22 PM
  #31
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
LOL

We were thinking the same thing
we made this thread awesome in record time

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
  #32
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Montreal should trade for Tom Preissing. He's out of favor in Los Angeles, but the guy is a good offensive defender and can play a regular shift. He's no savior, but he might be a good Streit replacement.

I like Josh Gorges, but I don't see the upside of him long term. He's not a pure shutdown defender, he's not overly physical, and he isn't going to score much. He's good, to be sure, but he's basically just eating up a depth chart spot. It would be better to have someone who is equally average at all departments, but excels at one area. Think, Komisarek on size/hitting. Bouillon, speed/grit. O'Byrne, size.
fixed.



Otherwise, Gorges is as good if not better than Komisarek... hitting department aside, the Gorges/Markov pair is as good as the Komisarek/Markov pair... just look at the numbers of goals allowed since Gorges been promoted, Habs have yet to give more than 2 goals a game since he's been put on 1st pair

- speed : even
- offense : even (both being poor)
- 1st pass : even
- heart : even
- defense : Gorges
- size : Komisarek
- hitting : Komisarek

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:08 AM
  #33
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
I find in the game's the teams biggest problems are the bluelines, both ends of the ice. Too many times they get trapped in their own zone and they turn over the puck to the other team's defence which results in a scoring chance for the other team. They have to be better at getting the puck out of their own zone and that should drop the team's goals against average. And when the Habs are in the offensive zone the puck gets behind the blueline to often and the forwards have to go back and regroup, usually resulting in the defencemen having to dump the puck back in the and the opposing team having an easy breakout.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:49 AM
  #34
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
- speed : even
- offense : even (both being poor)
- 1st pass : even
- heart : even
- defense : Gorges
- size : Komisarek
- hitting : Komisarek
It's a small sample size, they're by no means even in their own end. Komisarek is one of the top shutdown defensemen in the game. Gorges is decent in his own end. There is a difference.

Note that since Komisarek has hurt himself, Carbo has not been trying to match Markov/Gorges against other team's best players like he would with the other pair.

Plus, shot blocking

I am by no means saying Gorges sucks or is the problem. I'm saying that long term, he may be the odd man out on this blueline, especially given the prospect depth. Thus, if we make a move for a PP point man, Gorges would be the logical one to try and move.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
  #35
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,438
vCash: 500
I totally believe the habs power play will start clikcing soon. I really don't believe it is a problem that we don't have the players, it more an issue of system and executing.

The habs got to get back to what made them successful on the PP. Smart passing and movement. Too many high risk, low reward passing on the PP as of late. Especially by the Kostitsyn's and Kovalev.

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
  #36
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It's a small sample size, they're by no means even in their own end. Komisarek is one of the top shutdown defensemen in the game. Gorges is decent in his own end. There is a difference.

Note that since Komisarek has hurt himself, Carbo has not been trying to match Markov/Gorges against other team's best players like he would with the other pair.

Plus, shot blocking

I am by no means saying Gorges sucks or is the problem. I'm saying that long term, he may be the odd man out on this blueline, especially given the prospect depth. Thus, if we make a move for a PP point man, Gorges would be the logical one to try and move.
forget the end of last season ? sample size is probably about 10/12 games. Not that much I agree, but it's not like he had only one lucky game or something...

Not saying Gorges is first pair D material or anything... but let's just not forget that Markov has this "tendency" to make his D mate look better than he really is.

If anything, the way Gorges is playing this year, HE should be the one playing alongside Hamrlik, not O'Byrne.



Depends on salary, contract lenght, cap space... but the way he's playing now - at 24, for 1M$ a year... he's a keeper.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:14 PM
  #37
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
The thing about the PP is its effectiveness has long-reaching repercussions. We might have 3 offensive lines, but when a lot of our creative players are playing nervous or with little confidence (see Kovalev, Plekanec, Higgins, etc.), they won't be as effective. If those players pop in a goal or two on the PP, they will be much more effective overall because they won't be gripping their sticks as tight. IMO, if the PP steps up, the chain reaction effect it will have on the team will be fun to watch.

Jakomyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:18 AM
  #38
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Depends on salary, contract lenght, cap space... but the way he's playing now - at 24, for 1M$ a year... he's a keeper.
Well, I may be eating my words. It didn't produce much tonight, but his low, hard (easy to tip) point shot was a big asset to the PP. They should try him out instead of every winger on the bench and Brisebois.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:59 AM
  #39
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,701
vCash: 725
Expectations. The big problem is that everything fell into place last year, a better performance by Price and it might have been a Cup finals for us. Not saying we would've won though. But when everything fells into place, you've got to take it. No significant injuries and everybody playing great. Now, that other teams are expecting us and our style of play, they adjust, we don't, we don't have the success we had.

Too much perimeter play, not enough players ready to pay the price. A battle to the end to make the playoffs once again.

The big problem is the expectations. Not the fans fault though.


Last edited by Whitesnake: 11-25-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:08 AM
  #40
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Last night we got 2 goals from the 4th line and 1 goal from the D, where the hell are the offensive line superstars?? Habs are supposed to have the 3 best offensive lines in league, they've been seriously underachieving thus far.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:14 AM
  #41
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kostitsyn Bros View Post
Well the thing with Montreal is we can never find a happy medium. Last year we could only score on the PP and were frustrated with our 5 on 5 play now are 5 on 5 play is striving and our PP is sucking.
We scored what, 90 PP goals last year, we must have done something 5 on 5 to lead the NHL in goals.

I'm not too concerned with the PP, the puck is moving well, it's just a matter of scoring a few and getting confidence.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:32 AM
  #42
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,723
vCash: 500
Last night all 4 lines generated good chances, they need to keep up that pace and things should start clicking.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
  #43
MJN79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
The big problem in my opinion, other than the PP of course, is the fact the Habs have too many of the same players up front. 3 lines of skill and no grit on any of those 3 lines. The Habs have had much success in the last 2 years on the PP, but this year, they are trying too hard, looking for the perfect play and they are missing that big point shot. They would need that big presence in front of the net to change things up a bit on the man advantage.

I personally really like the way Koivu has played, hes actually throwing hits and is very intense on the backcheck also. I really think the Habs should offer him an extension before they sign anyone else on the team. He has been the core of this team for a while now and I do think Gainey will have to make a move in order to bring some grit on the top 2 lines because they lack that at the moment,especially when they need that big hit to wake the team up.

My 2 cents

MJN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:57 AM
  #44
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
The big problem in my opinion, other than the PP of course, is the fact the Habs have too many of the same players up front. 3 lines of skill and no grit on any of those 3 lines. The Habs have had much success in the last 2 years on the PP, but this year, they are trying too hard, looking for the perfect play and they are missing that big point shot. They would need that big presence in front of the net to change things up a bit on the man advantage.

I personally really like the way Koivu has played, hes actually throwing hits and is very intense on the backcheck also. I really think the Habs should offer him an extension before they sign anyone else on the team. He has been the core of this team for a while now and I do think Gainey will have to make a move in order to bring some grit on the top 2 lines because they lack that at the moment,especially when they need that big hit to wake the team up.

My 2 cents

That was a funny post. On one hand you say we have no grit on the top 3 lines, then you comment Koivu on playing very gritty.

I think we have enough grit, the teams we have to beat are right now Boston NYR and Pittsburgh.

Koivu is one of the grittiest players in the NHL. A.Kost has never been one to shy away from corners or the front of the net(apart from 4-5 games after his injury). S.Kost needs to get back to playing gritty like he did last year. Right now Kostopoulos is playing 3rd line and is very gritty. When Lats is back, he has great size and strength, needs to use it consistently and shoot more. Higgins can be very gritty but he is a bit too inconsistant.

The last 2 games we are outplaying the opposition by a pretty good margin, just lacking finish. Maybe we need a few garbage goals to give us confidence.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:22 AM
  #45
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
the big problem in my opinion is that the PP needs more drive ...

LOL I once saw a video from that website tagged in the photo which rivals 2girls1cup/etc.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
  #46
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Montreal should trade for Tom Preissing. He's out of favor in Los Angeles, but the guy is a good offensive defender and can play a regular shift. He's no savior, but he might be a good Streit replacement.
See the above comment. I think I just became an anonymous source for Eklund! *cheers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
The Canadiens are doing everything they can to improve on the their power play. Several teams are talking to the Habs including possibly the LA Kings TOm Preissing.
ROFL

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.