HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think the Rangers look like after the deadline?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2008, 10:46 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
What do you think the Rangers look like after the deadline?

I think the Rangers team that (hopefully) goes to the playoffs will be about 90% the same as the current roster. Unlike in past years, however, I think that it's a cohesive, well-designed group that has the potential to make a long run in the playoffs. And therefore, for the first time since the lockout, I think Sather will make a splash at the trading deadline (rather than the offseason) in an effort to push it over the top. I'm curious to see if folks agree - and, if so, what moves the team will make?

Personally, the more I consider it, the more I believe that Glen may finally make a move for Kovalchuk. There's no way he's staying in Atlanta when his contract expires (summer '10) and he would be a perfect fit for our team. I know, I know, EVERYONE dreams of acquiring Ilya, but he'll be expensive and not that many teams will want to take the risk of getting burned like the Penguins did with Hossa last year. Furthermore, we have the players to make it work under the cap - and the space coming free (Naslund) to give him a raise when his current contract expires (funny how Markus' contract expires the same year that Ilya's does...). I also think that we have enough assets that Atlanta will want and that Atlanta will be motivated to move him this year rather than wait until his contract year (given that what happened with Hossa will probably drive down the price of impending big name FAs at the trade deadline in their walk years... AND out of desire to *ahem* improve their odds in the draft lottery of '09).

Here's my proposal:

Atlanta gets
-Rozsival (primarily to make the $$$ work, but hopefully he moves forward from yesterday's improved performance to be a desirable player once again)
-Korpikoski (yeah, I know, I like him too, but ya gotta give to get)
-Dawes (makes the money work almost exactly and, although he's been disappointing for the first few games he's played this year - on a very short leash, it should be noted - he's shown enough in the past that he has the potential to develop into a 30 goal scorer)
-Sanguinetti (you need to include a big-time prospect)
-1st rounder 2009

Rangers get
-Kovalchuk

The team then trades Prucha (not nearly as big a cap hit by the trading deadline) for either an NHL ready 6th Dman or a mid-level defensive prospect in the AHL (allowing Potter/Sauer to be promoted). If you need another Dman, you deal a 3rd/4th to get one (if I remember correctly, Backman cost a 4th last year, right?) or you deal Betts and promote Moore (unlikely given Renney's love of Betts, but by the same token, we have Rissmiller - plus Blair's a FA next year and I don't think we'll be making the best offer for him given our cap constraints). The team then looks like this:

Kovalchuk-Gomez-Drury
Naslund-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Voros-Anisimov-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Fritsche
Extras: Orr, Rissmiller (who can replace either Anisimov, if he's not ready, or Betts, if he gets dealt)

Redden-Girardi
Mara-Kalinin
Staal-Sauer
Extas: Unidentified 7th Dman to be named later

In my opinion this works out almost perfectly for us (the only way it could be better would be if we could get them to a) take the package minus Sangs/the pick or b) if Ilya magically became a RW instead of a LW so that Drury doesn't have to play out of position. ) - AND I think that's relatively fair value for a team that's targetting the lottery and that knows the player ain't coming back.

Thoughts on the above scenario? Other visions of what will go down at the deadline and what the team will look like for the PO run?

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 11-25-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old
11-25-2008, 10:51 AM
levski87

We will never get Kovy, let it go already. When he becomes a UFA, we won't have enough to sign him so theres no point in throwing out all of our depth guys along with prospects to acquire him for a year. The new NHL is built on depth and building up your prospects, especially first round picks. Why would we trade Korpedo and Sanguinetti for Kovy and his (going to be) around 8-9 mil ass. Look for Slats to make a trade for someone more Zherdev type. Low key, around 3.5-4.5 mil, has offensive upside and creativity.

Old
11-25-2008, 10:53 AM
LamoTheKid

I'll probably get crucified but I see Shanny coming back at the deadline for 4th line duties and Sjo getting moved up.

Old
ThirdEye

Well, that's actually a fair deal and makes sense. The only problem is that Atlanta could get better from another team.

I'm not sure the Rangers would be willing to take the risk though. If he doesn't resign then we just lost a large chunk of our future.

Old
Shake and Bake

I don't think that is such a bad proposal...

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'm sorry, there are tons of trade proposal threads (and an entire board for that matter) or ones where this can go.