HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul on trading block? (November 22nd)

Old
11-25-2008, 01:29 AM
vcx*

vCash: 500
What's his deal? I thought he finally found a home last season? I like that he's a right hand shot and wouldn't mind him if he his cap hit isn't too badly and the Pens don't have to give up much to get him. Other wise, I'd pass. He's on his 3rd team and still can't re-create the magic he had in Anaheim (he did come close last season though).

Common sense tells me to give him till the deadline.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:40 AM
PhillyPhantic

Come on now. It's not like he's completely disappeared. He might be another Justin Williams that we can't afford to trade away.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
What's his deal? I thought he finally found a home last season? I like that he's a right hand shot and wouldn't mind him if he his cap hit isn't too badly and the Pens don't have to give up much to get him. Other wise, I'd pass. He's on his 3rd team and still can't re-create the magic he had in Anaheim (he did come close last season though).

Common sense tells me to give him till the deadline.
He still have like 9 or 10 goals this year, hes not struggling that much, hes just not playing with Richards lately and has had to carry his line, which he didnt last year. His deal is 4.25 but I doubt Holmgren would trade him to the pens.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
He still have like 9 or 10 goals this year, hes not struggling that much, hes just not playing with Richards lately and has had to carry his line, which he didnt last year. His deal is 4.25 but I doubt Holmgren would trade him to the pens.
no trading lupul to pittsburgh. malkin/crosby are the kind of players that will probably reignite his career. if he's going anywhere, its out of conference or at least division.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:19 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I don't want any part of Edmonton Lupul. If he plays like **** this entire season and pops 30 goals next season, what's to say he doesn't return to Edmonton Lupul the season after that? It's too frustrating and a waste of talent/cap space. There's better ways to invest our money.

I like the guy, but **** his play is frustrating right now.
I don't think it's really fair to compare last season's Lupul, who was being centered by Cannon, to this season's Lupul, who is being centered by Glen Metropolit.

Frankly if I was Lupul and that happened to me, I'd lose some steam.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
I don't think it's really fair to compare last season's Lupul, who was being centered by Cannon, to this season's Lupul, who is being centered by Glen Metropolit.

Frankly if I was Lupul and that happened to me, I'd lose some steam.
Lupul had his time with Richards this year and didn't live up to the icetime. But I can see him getting another opportunity when Briere returns.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Lupul had his time with Richards this year and didn't live up to the icetime. But I can see him getting another opportunity when Briere returns.
I hope so. He's shown us that he can produce, but only apparently when conditions suit him.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
Come on now. It's not like he's completely disappeared. He might be another Justin Williams that we can't afford to trade away.
at 4.25 mill, we won't be able to afford him at all.

i like the guy and wish him the best- on our team, and any other. he just makes the most sense to trade though.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
panayiotis

30 no way

[QUOTE=Jester;16494069]If he pops 30 goals, that cap figure is perfectly reasonable. The problem with Lupul isn't his cap figure, it's the amount of cap we already have invested in forwards and need to invest in JVR whenever he shows up.[/QUOTE He has never scored 30 goals in his career. He have Coburn to sign. Gagne and Carter come do quickly aswell. We have to fit in JVR and Giroux. The contracts of Hartnell, Lupul, Briere were ill advised. That is over 15 mill for non core players.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 01:46 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
when we traded Williams are system was pretty young and week. We are stocked with young talent now and if that happens it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I also wouldn't trade him for a rental which always stings when you don't win the whole thing.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 05:40 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If he pops 30 goals, that cap figure is perfectly reasonable. The problem with Lupul isn't his cap figure, it's the amount of cap we already have invested in forwards and need to invest in JVR whenever he shows up.
He has never scored 30 goals in his career. He have Coburn to sign. Gagne and Carter come do quickly aswell. We have to fit in JVR and Giroux. The contracts of Hartnell, Lupul, Briere were ill advised. That is over 15 mill for non core players.
Briere is part of the core though. Hartnell and Lupul we could probably do without, but Briere was brought in to ease the offensive development of Carter and Richards. Richards took off in year 3 and Carter is taking off in year 4. Whether people want to admit it or not, we still need Briere. Everyone *****es and moans that he isn't a defensive player, but he wasn't brought in here for his defense. He was brought in because he can generate offense. I'll say it before and I'll say it again - there's nothing wrong with having a player who is all offense. It's almost like any player with offensive capability is a dirty thing in Philadelphia. People need to give it up and realize that "Flyer hockey" hasn't won a Stanley Cup in over 30 years. It's time to move on.

As for signing Coburn, not worried about that at all. His contract doesn't expire until after next season. By then, there will be more contracts coming off the books. As well, the Flyers are probably going to move a contract or two when Parent and Jones return. Once again, there's more money that will be freed up.

As for the cap, I keep hearing that it's going to go down to 48 million, but the only thing I've seen that is concrete is that the cap is going to drop from 56.7 million to 55 million. The Flyers are still in great shape financially with regards to the cap.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
He has never scored 30 goals in his career. He have Coburn to sign. Gagne and Carter come do quickly aswell. We have to fit in JVR and Giroux. The contracts of Hartnell, Lupul, Briere were ill advised. That is over 15 mill for non core players.
Hartnell's contract is fine, and he's a type of player we need on this team. The justifications for why he's paid what he is and why we need someone like him are rather obvious if one looks around.

As far as Lupul, he had 28 once, and 20 in 56 games last year. Right now he's on pace for 28 again and he's been cold.

Players can move down the road.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote