HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We should look at ourselves

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
  #1
fatmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mirabel, Qc
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
We should look at ourselves

OK I agree, the teams is not playing very good lately, and I for one, is ranting more than enjoying the effort displayed on the ice, however, we (the fans) should look ourselves in the miror before acting like we are right now!

We have the loudest crowd in the NHL, yet, we aren't the #1 crowd in the players hearth, why? because instead of encouraging endlessly our team, we boo them when we aren't satisfy, I understand that it is very frustrating to pay 100$ to see player earning millions of $ having trouble to furnish an acceptable effort for 20 minutes. Nonetheless, I think the team would benifit if they would constantly ear encouragement from the crowd. Also, instead of boing opponent players (Cahra, Samsonov,..) we should encourage our guys, we shouldn't care about the opposing tema, we should concentrate on the player/team that we cherrish and love!

Could a crowd be considered as a leader, it think so by demonstrating a good example of tenacity and perseverence, perhaps some players could be inspire by that

Also, if someone you like fail or make a mistake, do you destroy him, or do you try to help him? We should look to ourselves and realize that we are not a good crowd and we are nnot supporting our team very well!!

my 2 cents

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
  #2
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,783
vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmax View Post
OK I agree, the teams is not playing very good lately, and I for one, is ranting more than enjoying the effort displayed on the ice, however, we (the fans) should look ourselves in the miror before acting like we are right now!

We have the loudest crowd in the NHL, yet, we aren't the #1 crowd in the players hearth, why? because instead of encouraging endlessly our team, we boo them when we aren't satisfy, I understand that it is very frustrating to pay 100$ to see player earning millions of $ having trouble to furnish an acceptable effort for 20 minutes. Nonetheless, I think the team would benifit if they would constantly ear encouragement from the crowd. Also, instead of boing opponent players (Cahra, Samsonov,..) we should encourage our guys, we shouldn't care about the opposing tema, we should concentrate on the player/team that we cherrish and love!

Could a crowd be considered as a leader, it think so by demonstrating a good example of tenacity and perseverence, perhaps some players could be inspire by that

Also, if someone you like fail or make a mistake, do you destroy him, or do you try to help him? We should look to ourselves and realize that we are not a good crowd and we are nnot supporting our team very well!!

my 2 cents
I thought that when you said "ourselves", you were actually including the HF Habs fans....

As far as the support.....thank god we had full houses the way we did for the past years....it permitted us to reach the salary cap every freakin year.....Fans should stop going.....we'll then talk what support really is....

Give the crowd more credit....they are enough people in there to actually boo Chara and cheer for our guys at the same time. But I guess we're not cheering hard and often enough....reason why all the other fanbases are sick and tired of our chants......

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:35 AM
  #3
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
I agree don't boo your own team, leave it in the coaches hands to deal with their dumbass mistakes.

But you boo the opposition all you want!!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:22 AM
  #4
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,646
vCash: 500
The people booing at the Bell Center are not here on this board. You can't create change.

Sad but true.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:23 AM
  #5
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,653
vCash: 500
I like to look at myself with my pants off.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:25 AM
  #6
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
from Higgins after the game ; «Ça manquait de cran (gutless), a laissé tomber Chris Higgins, dégoûté. Les gens qui ont scandé son nom en fin de match ne connaissent pas le hockey.»

It was gutless , said Higgins disgusted . Fans that were singing his name don't know anything about hockey .

Yesterday , those gutless fans have booed Streit , a really classy former Habs . Few years ago , the Habs were sharing for the Habs during a game , were singing the " go Habs go " , were doing the wave .

Now they are booing every former Habs , every players they don't like , every Habs that are doing mistakes .And after , they are booing the free agents that don't want to sign with the Habs . But who wants to sign with gutless and classless fans like we have ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:46 AM
  #7
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I agree don't boo your own team, leave it in the coaches hands to deal with their dumbass mistakes.

But you boo the opposition all you want!!
justified or not, fans have the right to do what the **** they want during a game, especially when the team played like crap for the last 3 weeks ...


the effort was there yesterday , but instead of keep praising them for playing like crap, I don't mind to boo a bit ... and I've never done it ... but I have to respect those who feel the need to do it.


by the way, streit on D doesnt look THAT bad ... and I think its a mistake to let him go, cuz I'm sure if montreal would have offered something, he would have stayed.

now we're stuck with Obyrne and Brisebois every game , what a joke. I'd rather give icetime to weber or belle ... guys who can actually play defensively WHILE BEING ABLE TO PASS THE PUCK PROPERLY.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:52 AM
  #8
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Montreal is the best place to play when you're winning and the worst place to play when you're losing.

I have season tickets and am constantly reminded that a sizeable portion of our fanbase is completely moronic, yet I wouldn't trade our crowd for any other team's. We'll just have to take the good with the bad, I guess.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:11 AM
  #9
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,567
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
It says a lot about our society, that we are so completely unhappy with ourselves that when one player makes a brutal mistake, one that he feels so bad about, we go and boo him and rip on him. A member of our own team, the one we pay, we bleed and cheer for. Just despicable.

Sure, I make ridiculous comments and I bash on this forum, I'd boo the team if no one shows up and they get blown out and I'd chirp them for that. But in a situation like this, when the team was playing decently and O'Byrne made a ****** mistake, it's no instance to do that.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
  #10
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Montreal is the best place to play when you're winning and the worst place to play when you're losing.

I have season tickets and am constantly reminded that a sizeable portion of our fanbase is completely moronic, yet I wouldn't trade our crowd for any other team's. We'll just have to take the good with the bad, I guess.
Scotty Bowman once said something like "Montréal fans are behind the team, win or tie. But don't tie too often". Plus ça change, plus c'est pareil, I guess.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
  #11
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
booing your own team is ********. i wish these people would stay home and not make the rest of us look like a.s.s.holes

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
  #12
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
I think some of you posters need an education on why habs fans cheer and jeer.

They are very passionate about their habs (probably because its the only really relevant sports franchise in the City/Province, unless you count the CFL, which I don't). As a result of their passion they attempt to get involved in the game ANYWAY they can. This includes cheering and jeering (which some of you lame brains call "booing").

Reasons why the habs might cheer/jeer a certain player.

1. Because he is talented and the fans know this so they jeer him when he touches the puck. This is not a sign of disrespect, on the contrary it most often an indication of talent, since the fans respect the player enough to think he's a threat and needs to be thrown off his game (like Crosby, Chara, or even Streit).

2. Because he has a history with the habs, and doesn't currently play for them. This can mean he is a former player (like Streit) and the crowd recognizes his absence, and when he comes back to Mtl, they let him know they know. This can also mean that the player was courted by the Habs but chose to play elsewhere (like Briere or Smyth). Once again the fans let him know they know.

3. Because the player is the goalie, and as a goalie has an instrumental importance in the outcome of the game and thus is a valid target to jeer, in hopes that will negatively affect his play.

4. Because a player makes a horrible mistake that costs the game and the fans who paid their hard earned money the chance to celebrate a victory of their beloved habs. (like O'Byrne)

I humbly suggest anyone who decides to lament about the conduct of Habs fans in the future because of their cheering or jeering should first recall these things I've listed here and make sure you aren't being a complete whiny crybaby ninny. Leave decorum for the office, in the arena I'll take my boisterous intense fans over polite prudish apathetic fans any day of the year and scoff at all those who feel otherwise.

And to be honest if a player can't take the jeering then he doesn't deserve to play in the NHL, making millions of dollars and being the focal point of millions of peoples attention. You guys gotta take a step back and realize how absurd you all sound. "BOO ****IN HOO for O'Byrne, he ****ed up 40K+ peoples day and they let him know that." Most likely, he'll go console himself driving his luxury car, and boning whatever perfect 10 chick (that all you overly sensitive posters could only dream of getting) he happens to be sleeping with at the moment. Save your pity and concern for people who actually need it....


Last edited by HockeyF3ind: 11-25-2008 at 12:14 PM.
HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM
  #13
fatmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mirabel, Qc
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It says a lot about our society, that we are so completely unhappy with ourselves that when one player makes a brutal mistake, one that he feels so bad about, we go and boo him and rip on him. A member of our own team, the one we pay, we bleed and cheer for. Just despicable.

Sure, I make ridiculous comments and I bash on this forum, I'd boo the team if no one shows up and they get blown out and I'd chirp them for that. But in a situation like this, when the team was playing decently and O'Byrne made a ****** mistake, it's no instance to do that.
I totally agree,
I for one was always curious to see a study were they would compare how we see ourselves, how we see the hometown professionnal sports team and if we rant/deal about similar problem (throught the fan perception) in our lives, if there is a correlation about perception of our lives vs perception of our team. I think it could be interesting and would help the society be more tolerant...

As for vanyllapep
The people booing at the Bell Center are not here on this board. You can't create change.

Sad but true.

I understand your point, I'm a fan and I'm never at the bell center, however, we can share our ideas with our friend that are not on this board and, therefore, the message might make its way to the bell center. Nevertheless, I doubt it will make a difference and I just wanted to see if I was not alone!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
  #14
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
from Higgins after the game ; «Ça manquait de cran (gutless), a laissé tomber Chris Higgins, dégoûté. Les gens qui ont scandé son nom en fin de match ne connaissent pas le hockey.»

It was gutless , said Higgins disgusted . Fans that were singing his name don't know anything about hockey .

Yesterday , those gutless fans have booed Streit , a really classy former Habs . Few years ago , the Habs were sharing for the Habs during a game , were singing the " go Habs go " , were doing the wave .

Now they are booing every former Habs , every players they don't like , every Habs that are doing mistakes .And after , they are booing the free agents that don't want to sign with the Habs . But who wants to sign with gutless and classless fans like we have ?
Chris should focus on the game and not the crowd
Play a full 60 min game in and game out. I never like is interview comments-

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
  #15
fatmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mirabel, Qc
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I think some of you posters need an education on why habs fans cheer and jeer.

They are very passionate about their habs (probably because its the only really relevant sports franchise in the City/Province, unless you count the CFL, which I don't). As a result of their passion they attempt to get involved in the game ANYWAY they can. This includes cheering and jeering (which some of you lame brains call "booing").

Reasons why the habs might cheer/jeer a certain player.

1. Because he is talented and the fans know this so they jeer him when he touches the puck. This is not a sign of disrespect, on the contrary it most often an indication of talent, since the fans respect the player enough to think he's a threat and needs to be thrown off his game (like Crosby, Chara, or even Streit).

2. Because he has a history with the habs, and doesn't currently play for them. This can mean he is a former player (like Streit) and the crowd recognizes his absence, and when he comes back to Mtl, they let him know they know. This can also mean that the player was courted by the Habs but chose to play elsewhere (like Briere or Smyth). Once again the fans let him know they know.

3. Because the player is the goalie, and as a goalie has an instrumental importance in the outcome of the game and thus is a valid target to jeer, in hopes that will negatively affect his play.

4. Because a player makes a horrible mistake that costs the game and the fans who paid their hard earned money the chance to celebrate a victory of their beloved habs. (like O'Byrne)

I humbly suggest anyone who decides to lament about the conduct of Habs fans in the future because of their cheering or jeering should first recall these things I've listed here and make sure you aren't being a complete whiny crybaby ninny. Leave decorum for the office, in the arena I'll take my boisterous intense fans over polite prudish apathetic fans any day of the year and scoff at all those who feel otherwise.

And to be honest if a player can't take the jeering then he doesn't deserve to play in the NHL, making millions of dollars and being the focal point of millions of peoples attention. You guys gotta take a step back and realize how absurd you all sound. "BOO ****IN HOO for O'Byrne, he ****ed up 40K+ peoples day and they let him know that." Most likely, he'll go console himself driving his luxury car, and boning whatever perfect 10 chick (that all you overly sensitive posters could only dream of getting) he happens to be sleeping with at the moment. Save your pity and concern for people who actually need it....

You obviously have a lot of unresolve issue with the professionnal players... I personnally think that jeering is not constructive, your 4 points make sense in some way, I wouldn't waste energy for point 1 & 2, and when I go to the bell center, I'm not apathetic, and I'm passionate, but I beleive that we jeer too much, we do it so often, that it doesn't work in the favor of our team anymore...

Maybe it's time for me to say good bye to hfboards as it seems there is no respect for different opinion anymore on this board!!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
  #16
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Oh sure, blame the victim man!


Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:41 PM
  #17
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Oh sure, blame the victim man!

Pray tell, who is the victim here?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:47 PM
  #18
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
from Higgins after the game ; «Ça manquait de cran (gutless), a laissé tomber Chris Higgins, dégoûté. Les gens qui ont scandé son nom en fin de match ne connaissent pas le hockey.»

It was gutless , said Higgins disgusted . Fans that were singing his name don't know anything about hockey .

Yesterday , those gutless fans have booed Streit , a really classy former Habs . Few years ago , the Habs were sharing for the Habs during a game , were singing the " go Habs go " , were doing the wave .

Now they are booing every former Habs , every players they don't like , every Habs that are doing mistakes .And after , they are booing the free agents that don't want to sign with the Habs . But who wants to sign with gutless and classless fans like we have ?
If I recall correctly McCabe was booed in TO last year when he scored in his goal... what's the difference with the O'Byrne situation.

I have absolutely no problem with fans booing a player because he's lazy or plays like crap...

But, I'm disgusted by the booing toward Streit who might be the classiest player in the entire league if not the entire world.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
  #19
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Pray tell, who is the victim here?
We, Gros Bill, we.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
  #20
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
If I recall correctly McCabe was booed in TO last year when he scored in his goal... what's the difference with the O'Byrne situation.

I have absolutely no problem with fans booing a player because he's lazy or plays like crap...

But, I'm disgusted by the booing toward Streit who might be the classiest player in the entire league if not the entire world.
Overpaid, underachieving vet who refused to rescind his no trade clause to help the team. Small difference.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
  #21
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
If I recall correctly McCabe was booed in TO last year when he scored in his goal... what's the difference with the O'Byrne situation.

I have absolutely no problem with fans booing a player because he's lazy or plays like crap...

But, I'm disgusted by the booing toward Streit who might be the classiest player in the entire league if not the entire world.
I missed the game, we booed Streit? That's not right.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
  #22
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
I've always hated habs fans booing there own players, I understand these guys are professionl atheletes but for example when they were constantly booing brisebois that's gotta trickle down to the rest of the guys. Hab fans can be great with the Ole chants or when they get all over Briere and Chara but I don't care if O'Byrne played 60 minutes of ****** hockey before firing it into his own net booing him is just going to bring everyone on the team down including the fans who aren't booing him and the people who are watching (listening) to these moronic fans at home. When this happens I typically watch the rest of the game without the sound.

For the record I did destroy a brand new Hockey news after O'Byrne scored but I still felt bad for the guy when I cooled down

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
  #23
Prudentius
 
Prudentius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
O'Byrne is not lazy or heartless. If Brisebois(and we know he's capable of it) made a cross-ice pass that would've been intercepted and the guy went on a breakaway to score on Price, how would that been any different?

What about the boneheaded Maxime Lapierre pass in the first period that gave an open net to an Isles player(but he missed). The only difference with O'Byrne's goal is that he shot it directly to the net. But the result is the same.

If we're really contenders anyway, why do we care about 1 point lost against the Isles? It's not even funny how fans in Montreal are completely clueless. Sure I swore right after it happened, but 1min later I got over it.

And there's another thing that bugged me yesterday. Ryder, Samsonov, Theodore, all ex-habs that deserves to be booed entirely but Mark Streit? He wanted to play here, and Gainey let him walk. Here's our #4 defenseman that we let walk when we could have signed him. It's our mistake, and on top of that, we boo him?

Don't get me wrong, be a fan of your team, but have some loyalty toward our players and those that wants to be part of our team but were rejected by the GM. Especially when the GM made a mistake like in Streit's case.

I cheered last year in the playoffs when someone poured beer over Richards. I didn't care when Weekes had a banana thrown at him. I don't care about players of opposing teams, and what happens to them. But have some respect for our players and our ex-players that deserves it(Zednik, Streit).

And i'm not the kind of fan that will sit down on his ass and clap once in a while. I've actually tried to start fight in the stand with Leafs fan once. I have a boiling attitude, but Jesus... some loyalty to our team!

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:54 PM
  #24
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Chris should focus on the game and not the crowd
Play a full 60 min game in and game out. I never like is interview comments-
i disagree with you . Higgins said highly what most of the players probably think .

How do you think that the players feel when the crowd boo one of their friend or ex-liner ? Don't you think that they understand that even if they give their max to that team , if one day they are traded or leave the team , that crowd will forget everything they gave and will just boo them too ? i was so disgusted when the crowd started to boo Streit yesterday . It have to stop at one point and i hope that the players will show their feelings about it .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
  #25
Prudentius
 
Prudentius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
i disagree with you . Higgins said highly what most of the players probably think .

How do you think that the players feel when the crowd boo one of their friend or ex-liner ? Don't you think that they understand that even if they give their max to that team , if one day they are traded or leave the team , that crowd will forget everything they gave and will just boo them too ? i was so disgusted when the crowd started to boo Streit yesterday . It have to stop at one point and i hope that the players will show their feelings about it .
I agree, and what is rather sad is that it reflect the attitude of Quebec(the province). We'd rather bring down everyone rather than look at ourselves in the mirror. Can't believe there's people paying from $30 to $150 to boo down everything they can. Even our own players.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.