HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren in talks with Knuble, Biron

Old
11-25-2008, 04:12 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Holmgren in talks with Knuble, Biron

NHL.com article, News and notes at the bottom

Quote:
… Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has begun negotiations with the agents for power forward Mike Knuble and goaltender Martin Biron, who each can become unrestricted free agents this summer. "We've actually had conversations," Holmgren told the Bucks County Courier Times, "but right now, where we're at in the League, it's kind of a wait-and-see attitude. In talking with both agents, no one's in a big rush." Knuble, 36, is third on the team with 8 goals -- including a team-best four on the power play -- and fourth with 14 points. Biron, 31, has won three-straight starts and four of five since a slow start, and has lowered his goals-against average to 2.88. Both players have expressed an interest in re-signing. "I've been very happy, I understand my role here," Knuble told reporters. "I appreciate it. So when you're happy and your family is happy, you want to stay. I feel like I can still play and I want to play. I don't feel a need to start anywhere else again." …

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:23 AM
decadentia

Interesting they plan on bringing both back really, more so Knuble. Though his play really hasn't declined, he's been steady every year for us.

I hope they Homer can convince him to take a bit of a pay cut, perhaps play the old man declining card.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:25 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Interesting they plan on bringing both back really, more so Knuble. Though his play really hasn't declined, he's been steady every year for us.

I hope they Homer can convince him to take a bit of a pay cut, perhaps play the old man declining card.
Yeah if the cap is decreasing, and Lupul is dealt ill be ok with Knuble if he takes a paycut.

Gagne-Briere-Giroux
JVR-Richards-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Knuble

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah if the cap is decreasing, and Lupul is dealt ill be ok with Knuble if he takes a paycut.

Gagne-Briere-Giroux
JVR-Richards-Hartnell
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Have you ever seen Holmgren give anyone a paycut? I have no problem with bringing both of them back, but it's almost certain they get raises.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:24 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Have you ever seen Holmgren give anyone a paycut? I have no problem with bringing both of them back, but it's almost certain they get raises.
The thought of Knuble getting a pay increase =

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
yeah, really.

jesus christ. i don't even know how you can THINK of bringing knuble back right now. at least wait til the end of the year, hell, past this years trade deadline to see a little more of what's going on with the team.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:32 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Knuble has pretty good value on his current contract. Although he is older, he still performs well and offensively outplays a similar player like Hartnell who makes much more. I would be very happy resigning Knuble to a one year deal for the same cap number or maybe even a couple hundred thousand more. He does a lot for this team that goes unnoticed and you need players like him to do well on the PP and players like him that actually perform effectively are pretty rare. Not to mention he penalty kills as well. So by all means, give Mike a bit of a raise, he deserves it.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:38 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Knuble has pretty good value on his current contract. Although he is older, he still performs well and offensively outplays a similar player like Hartnell who makes much more. I would be very happy resigning Knuble to a one year deal for the same cap number or maybe even a couple hundred thousand more. He does a lot for this team that goes unnoticed and you need players like him to do well on the PP and players like him that actually perform effectively are pretty rare. Not to mention he penalty kills as well. So by all means, give Mike a bit of a raise, he deserves it.
Im going to have to agree with this. As we noticed last night, he is playing well. He puts up numbers and even though he may be getting slower, he showed burst of speed at times. People say that we have Hartnell to do his job.... well until Hartnell starts doing this ill stay with Knuble.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
yeah, really.

jesus christ. i don't even know how you can THINK of bringing knuble back right now. at least wait til the end of the year, hell, past this years trade deadline to see a little more of what's going on with the team.
I don't understand this mentality. Knuble is the type of player who will work his arse off to win his team a game. These types of players are so valuable and we have a great one right now who is getting paid relatively low. Why would you want to shut the door on a guy who has worked so hard for you? Yes he's getting older, so that is why you sign him for a short term contract, but you just don't send him drifting off on the next iceberg.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:57 AM
chaosof99*

I think what will happen is Biron re-signing with a slight raise and Knuble re-signing with the same rate he currently has.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
TheFlyingP

I like Knuble, he's a solid veteran you need those on a team. Especially with how young we are. I'm surprised Knuble's play hasn't turned some of you to his side. I've seen alot of Knuble bashing on this board in the past. Honestly on the power play we don't have another player that can get in that three point stance and not be moved. He's good at that and plays PK. I'd like to see him back, good leadership.

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im going to have to agree with this. As we noticed last night, he is playing well. He puts up numbers and even though he may be getting slower, he showed burst of speed at times. People say that we have Hartnell to do his job.... well until Hartnell starts doing this ill stay with Knuble.
I whole-heartidly agree. I've really focused on Hartnell and Knuble the last few games--specifically their play in front of the net. There's really no comparison. While I do agree that Hartnell has the tools to do what Knuble does, until he does so with consistency, I want Knuble on my first unit PP.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Kaktus*

3M for Biron and 1.5M for Knuble (This is a high as I go for Mike). Can't believe I am offering that much. Anyone can play one the same line with Mike Richards and Gagne.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:13 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
3M for Biron and 1.5M for Knuble (This is a high as I go for Mike). Can't believe I am offering that much. Anyone can play one the same line with Mike Richards and Gagne.
Agree. If anything he was slowing Gagne and Richards down last night. I realise he scored twice but if the first goal hadn't been tipped in by a Stars player it would have been a typical Knuble near miss, and the second goal was all Gagne/Richards.

Knuble is a great guy to have around, and I'd like to see him playing on the 2nd or even 3rd line next season but nothing more than that.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I swear Knuble could score 50 goals and folks on this board would hate him.

He scores
He's a veteran
He's a leader

He's VERY important to this team

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I whole-heartidly agree. I've really focused on Hartnell and Knuble the last few games--specifically their play in front of the net. There's really no comparison. While I do agree that Hartnell has the tools to do what Knuble does, until he does so with consistency, I want Knuble on my first unit PP.
Hartnell is the best player on the team at setting screens. What he's not as good as Knuble at is deflecting the puck in front of the net. Everywhere else on the net Hartnell is a better player than Knuble, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post

He scores
He's a veteran
He's a leader

I'd be careful in confusing disliking the use of Knuble with Knuble himself. Knuble shouldn't be on a line with Briere...he can't keep up over the long haul, and Briere isn't a down low grind it out guy. Richards is, thus that line makes sense as currently constructed. Just as he worked well with Forsberg and Thornton before that.

The real problem here is that this team WILL BE shedding someone popular next year. Whether that be Upshall, Lupul, or whomever.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'd be careful in confusing disliking the use of Knuble with Knuble himself. Knuble shouldn't be on a line with Briere...he can't keep up over the long haul, and Briere isn't a down low grind it out guy. Richards is, thus that line makes sense as currently constructed. Just as he worked well with Forsberg and Thornton before that.

The real problem here is that this team WILL BE shedding someone popular next year. Whether that be Upshall, Lupul, or whomever.
Yes, they will be, but I will maintain until the day I die that losing Upshall for cap reasons is just stupid.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
TheFlyingP

No way Upshall to much speed when he moves his feet. Ball of energy

Old
11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I don't understand this mentality. Knuble is the type of player who will work his arse off to win his team a game. These types of players are so valuable and we have a great one right now who is getting paid relatively low. Why would you want to shut the door on a guy who has worked so hard for you? Yes he's getting older, so that is why you sign him for a short term contract, but you just don't send him drifting off on the next iceberg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingP View Post
I like Knuble, he's a solid veteran you need those on a team. Especially with how young we are. I'm surprised Knuble's play hasn't turned some of you to his side. I've seen alot of Knuble bashing on this board in the past. Honestly on the power play we don't have another player that can get in that three point stance and not be moved. He's good at that and plays PK. I'd like to see him back, good leadership.
i'm not hating on knuble. we've already got forwards out the ass though. do something about that before you go re-signing him.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingP View Post
No way Upshall to much speed when he moves his feet. Ball of energy
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PHI

Upshall is a VERY likely casualty, especially if you re-sign Knuble and Biron (I think we need to re-sign Biron, so that's moot). So, there's our cap situation, and I'll provide you with two things to consider when looking at it and pondering who will be here next year:

1) JVR is probably going to come in on a $3M salary. He may not be with the big club, but I would expect him to be...so space needs to be carved out--unless you want to trade him.

2) The cap looks like it might shrink over the next two years with the economy in the crapper.

If you can find an easy way to keep Upshall, lemme know. I'd like to have him around, but he's such an obvious casualty it isn't funny.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If they keep the current CBA and it's not extended by just one year, I don't think JVR can have a cap number of $3M, it may if next year becomes the last year of the cap. However, I do think Upshall ends up being a cap casualty though. They got a guys in Kalinski and Ross who I think they want to be that Upshall-like player.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post

He scores
He's a veteran
He's a leader

No one hates him but you have to admit he is a step slower, he misses a lot of net, not very phsycial at this point and we have decent prospects who will be NHL ready real soon.

Is he as impotant as Richards, Carter, Gagne or Timonen? No.

I takes him 10 NHL games to get his legs under him.

I rather see Upshall getting a little more money then signing Knuble and seeing Scotty leave or traded. We need hungry, younger, faster, aggressive players that throwing their weight around and drop gloves.

I think our blue line is almost rebuilt. We are ready to be a serious contender next year or the year after. This year, a few play off rounds for experience, solid d-nce and "system", punch Pittsburgh in the groin area, slap around another team, all I am asking for.

Knuble.. definitely not a priority.

If some team give us a high pick or a decent prospect I'd do the deal. Knuble on paste to score 40 goals. Good for Mike. Keep it up.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-25-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
TheFlyingP

Thanks for the link to the cap page Jester. Wow, I was not aware Lupuls contract was that big. He is not living up to that kinda money. He will be a hard number to trade. With all the prospects coming up Homer's got some big decisions next year.

Old
11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
27roenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PHI

Upshall is a VERY likely casualty, especially if you re-sign Knuble and Biron (I think we need to re-sign Biron, so that's moot). So, there's our cap situation, and I'll provide you with two things to consider when looking at it and pondering who will be here next year:

1) JVR is probably going to come in on a $3M salary. He may not be with the big club, but I would expect him to be...so space needs to be carved out--unless you want to trade him.

2) The cap looks like it might shrink over the next two years with the economy in the crapper.

If you can find an easy way to keep Upshall, lemme know. I'd like to have him around, but he's such an obvious casualty it isn't funny.
i think the reality is that upshall is a keepable asset. moving him really doesn't carve much cap space; i doubt he makes more than 2mil next year. assuming JVR makes the team next year (good bet) and he's at a 3mil cap hit, bonuses etc, knuble or lupul make more sense to move/let go.

i think that, numbers proportional to their team status, lupul gives us the least bang for the buck and should be moved in the offseason. in reality, giroux and JVR probably both make the team, and both those forwards need ice time, so its probably moot. i think that upshall gives us something neither giroux or JVR brings to our lower half of the roster. knuble's and lupul's skillsets can be replaced, moreso lupul's, but both players look to be replacable by our draftees.

what i'd love next year (assuming upshall and knuble are both resigned, lupul gets moved)

JVR-richards-knuble
upshall-carter-hartnell
gagne-briere-giroux
cote-metro-asham

dunno how it happens, but thats the twelve i'd like to see

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
You know, I really can't stand Mike Knuble. I bash him all the time. But let's look at the facts. 29 goals last year, 24 in 06-07 when we totally sucked and he only played 64 games (and he was a + player).

I mean, he kills me out there. I rip my hair out because of him. But the bottom line is that somehow, someway, he scores goals. Don't see the harm in keeping him around when I'm honest.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote