HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Right time to leave the crease on a delayed penalty...

Old
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
TheCH*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
They do send it back to Price all the time. He's one of the better puck handling goalies in the league.
Disagree. I cringe every time he plays the puck. He always seems to give it away right to the other team, he needs to just keep it simple.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

that's a lot worse than O'Byrne's... he's like "ONE TIMER YEAAA WOOOO! WEee... euhh.. what? oops.. "

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
Obviously O'Byrne deserves the blame for what happened at the end of this one. I'm not on board with the people who want to see him off the team for good, since he's young and still learning, but sure that was dumb.

I do think it's at least worth discussing whether Price left the crease a bit too early. When the penalty occurred, the puck was in the neutral zone in the Isles half of the ice... but it looks like by the time he was on his way to the bench, it was moving toward our end (played by Kostitsyn and then Markov along the boards). I know it's easy to second guess these things, but wouldn't it have been a smart play to either stay in the crease until the puck was in the offensive zone, or be watching the play so he could head back into the net once it started heading that way? Especially knowing that we were protecting a one-goal lead in the third period.

To be clear again, I AM NOT BLAMING PRICE FOR THIS GOAL. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks he might have left a little early, especially given the game circumstances.
I can't really blame Price. I'd like to see a rule in hockey where you can't have a goal scored with a delayed penality, regardless of it's a shot that missed the net or a pass or whatever. It's not something that happens too often though.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why would you rush the play anyway since automatically the faceoff is going in the offensive zone.....

It's going too fast for O'B. The guy skates well but his decision making is not going as far as his legs....
he didn't think there was a penalty, i thought we covered this...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Disagree. I cringe every time he plays the puck. He always seems to give it away right to the other team, he needs to just keep it simple.
Agreed that I often cringe when he leaves the net to go play a puck but I think that has more to do with decision making than actual skill with the puck. There are few goaltenders who can make a long transition pass as well Price can.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
neofury*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gt39rrc-bU

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
he didn't think there was a penalty, i thought we covered this...
Yeah was going to say... or else why would he pass to price in the first place.

People actually watch the video, it was obvious just by watching it he didn't realize there was a penalty. I mean really where do you see an actual rule being broken anywhere on the ice that merits a penalty for the isles?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
smon

He didn't know there was a penalty, and in the motion of throwing the puck to what he thought was Price in the net, he realized what he just did. All in the video. Plus, postgame he said he didn't know that there was a penalty.

You can't blame Price at all for that one. Think about it logically - like it would ever cross anyone's mind that their own player would throw the puck in the net...the worst that should happen in that situation is that the Isles touch the puck and the play goes dead. He obviously should have been pulled, it's basic hockey sense.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
kostitsyn1489

There's about 1-2 own goals per season on delay penality and 30 teams so each team score in their own net about once every 15 years and you'll change the timing of the goalie leaving his net?

It'as as dumb as the guy signing P.K. Subban when he cant or the guy calling up players from Hamilton and waiving half the team to sit them in the stands. Wake up ****.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Actually O'B is in the middle of our defensive pack with 15 give aways. Markov has 31 and Hamr has 18

And actually if he did give the puck away in this case there would have been no goal

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:41 PM
jhayes

While I agree that some are being too hard on O'Byrne, there is one thing that I've noticed so far.

People, and he, are saying that he meant to pass it to Price, and you guys are noting that it's an uncommon but feasible play for people to send the puck back to a goalie particularly if he's a good puck handler.

I guess my question is this, how often have we seen anyone on the Habs do that this season? I can't really recall any situations where the puck was passed directly on net to Price, but maybe I just have a selective memory.

An honest mistake though, hopefully he can work his way through this.

jhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If they practiced it often, thats ok since Brodeur will always be ready and prepared to receive a pass but i bet any coach wouldnt want to see that. You never know if the pucks will get a crazy bound or whatever so you do take the chance to ask your goalie to stop pucks from the both teams in the ice.

Like i said, you never know what will happen to a puck coming toward the net. See Brodeur here, he's the number 1

That video is great because it shows that even veterans make stupid mistakes, all kinds of mistakes.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
HabsUnited

So...
if he didn't know there was a penalty, he figured Price was still in nets and decided to pass back to him. My question is: who the hell passes back to the goalie without even looking???

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
kostitsyn1489

Do you really think that players look before making every pass?

That kind of play happens once every little while to every kind of players, it happened to O'Byrne it's done nothing we can do about it and no reason to change everything cause he passed in his own net for the first time since he turned pro.

Old
11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
hahaha... and people bash O'Byrne.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
HabsUnited

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Do you really think that players look before making every pass?
Obviously not. That's why I added 'to the goalie' to my sentence. You should certainly take a quick peek before you do that. I mean, the guy could be Drydening over there, you never know.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
crystal ball

Quote:
I'm guessing he didn't know it was going to be a penalty.

Sure it's a dumbass play but it can happen to everyone. On the plus side, he's gotten that out of the way and we can't do anything about it, but I doubt it ever happens to him again.
What about communication on the ice? How could nobody shout "delayed call" to make sure everyone knew? You'd think someone would do that as a matter of course, so everyone's on the same page.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:46 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

The thing I don't understand is if you look at the replay.. it looks like OB is looking right at the net.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
What about communication on the ice? How could nobody shout "delayed call" to make sure everyone knew? You'd think someone would do that as a matter of course, so everyone's on the same page.
There's a lot of shouldas and couldas that can be said after the fact. I would bet that there are many many delayed penalties that get called where nobody shouts "delayed call". I agree that it would be a good idea to get in the habit of saying this, but you can't blame anyone for not shouting it.

It was a freak play. Everything went wrong and it was a mistake that cost us the game.

Old
11-25-2008, 01:52 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
The thing I don't understand is if you look at the replay.. it looks like OB is looking right at the net.
Well, he must have done it purposely

Old
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited View Post
Obviously not. That's why I added 'to the goalie' to my sentence. You should certainly take a quick peek before you do that. I mean, the guy could be Drydening over there, you never know.
Yeah well, i doubt Price would do such a much. I know what you mean, but what are the odds that there's a delay penality when you pass to the goalie. Also confidence is an issue for him right now, he prolly didnt want to turn the puck over in the D zone and he kinda panicked, made a play quicker then he would usually do and the timing was really bad.I'm pretty sure that if he was at 100% mentally he wouldnt have even been ina position where he had to pass to Price.

Old
11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Habs_46

Fyi Saturday Night Game Against Boston When A D-man Pinches Deep In Offensive Zone , A Forward Takes His Place At The Blueline. Kovalev Took O Byrne 's Place And Then Failed To Skate Hard Enough To Keep Up With His Check. That Goal Was Not O Byrne Fault At All 100% Kovalev's Fault

Habs_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Well, he must have done it purposely
I'm not saying that, lol

I'm just saying, where's he looking? lol

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
The right time for the goalie to leave the crease is RIGHT AWAY as soon as he knows who the penalty is against. Plays like this just happen so rarely I can't believe people are actually thinking this will change the way the game is played. If anything, players will think a little bit more before passing the puck near the crease, which they should know in the first place. Plays like this are just a reminder not to be careless.

Edit: Just saw the Wallin and Backstrom goals haha...after being reminded of these, I think we can say that as long as O'Byrne puts this behind him and plays well, this will be forgotten soon enough. I just hope he plays well enough not to make this his legacy...I think he can.

Last edited by benji: 11-25-2008 at 03:58 PM.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Habruti!

To me there is just a few things that botters me... If you are going to pass to your goalie you should at least make sure he is looking in your direction because you can still score in your own net. Now that its behind there are few other things that ticked me yesterday ...

How about Brisebois who was supposly hurt left in the middle of the play in his own zone and came back the shift after, this is not paying the price to win a game ..?

How about this stupid cross ice pass from Obyrne in the first period ... that was just as bad IMO.

I like Obyrne I whish him the best but I hope we will use him at Brisebois's place and get some help from hamilton (Carle or Webber). These guys could help our PP and would better suit a guy like Hamerlik then Obyrne IMO.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote