HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I know the Ritz is at least one of them. Forget the other though, but normally the hotels are in Center City.
It depends. Sometimes the stay at that holiday inn. I remember the Leafs staying there last year when we saw a game. We had to go to stubhub to get tix and a ton of fans were waiting for them.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:09 AM
slitz

I think the 4 seasons is another one

if anyone has had any success finding visitor's hotels, please share. I need to find ottawa on 12-23. need jason smith to finish the poster i started last season

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Lorenzo's is good pizza.

Philly Taco =
Lorenzo's slice wrapped around a Pat's Cheesesteak

It may kill ya, but you will die with a smile!

Wow, that sounds amazing, I'll have to try that one night..I love some Lorenzo's mmmmm.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 12:16 PM
eroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
caught the game against Ottawa last night at Screwballs. Thanks for the tip...the place was great, food was good, staff wonderful. Highly recommended for anyone in the area who needs a place to watch the game...

eroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:22 AM
BoDiva88

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
I think the 4 seasons is another one

if anyone has had any success finding visitor's hotels, please share. I need to find ottawa on 12-23. need jason smith to finish the poster i started last season
The Pens stay at the Westin. I think the Caps stay there, too (they have in past seasons).

BoDiva88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
mti79

Wasn't sure if this was the proper place to ask this question or not, but here goes: Everyone has heard of the reputation that Philadelphia sports fans have. Whenever I've gone to a Philly event, it's usually against a far out of market team. IE, I went to a Phillies-D-backs game over the summer because for some reason my gf likes the D-backs. She wore her jersey and heard some snide comments, but nothing too bad. I wasn't sure if this was because she's a girl, because nobody really cares about the Diamondbacks, or because it was her birthday (she had a stupid crown on that said that). We're also not the loud obnoxious fans that actively seek out trouble.

With that said, how much ***** will I get if I come to a Rangers game in Philly? Again, I do not try to start trouble and actually like discussing hockey with fans of the opposition to get vary opinions. I cheer on my teams without being rude. Again, I think I'll be coming to a game out there and just wanted to prepare myself. Thanks in advance.

Oh.. and Richards is CANNON!!!!

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
MountainHawk

If you wear clothing with Rangers logo/colors, you will get heckled somewhat. If you aren't an obnoxious/drunk/aggressive fan, that will be the worst of it 99.9% of the time.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
BoDiva88

It kind of depends where you sit. But mostly you're okay if you're not an idiot. Don't talk crap about the Flyers, root for your team not against the Flyers, and if the Rangers score stay seated and don't overcelebrate. You should be okay.

BoDiva88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Wasn't sure if this was the proper place to ask this question or not, but here goes: Everyone has heard of the reputation that Philadelphia sports fans have. Whenever I've gone to a Philly event, it's usually against a far out of market team. IE, I went to a Phillies-D-backs game over the summer because for some reason my gf likes the D-backs. She wore her jersey and heard some snide comments, but nothing too bad. I wasn't sure if this was because she's a girl, because nobody really cares about the Diamondbacks, or because it was her birthday (she had a stupid crown on that said that). We're also not the loud obnoxious fans that actively seek out trouble.

With that said, how much ***** will I get if I come to a Rangers game in Philly? Again, I do not try to start trouble and actually like discussing hockey with fans of the opposition to get vary opinions. I cheer on my teams without being rude. Again, I think I'll be coming to a game out there and just wanted to prepare myself. Thanks in advance.

Oh.. and Richards is CANNON!!!!
Honestly, if you don't act like a jerk, you won't be hounded too badly.

Granted, somebody near you might be feeling their oat sodas a bit and try to start, but simply go to an usher quietly and point out the troublemaker and he'll get dispatched.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
IrishSniper87

A lot of teams stay at the Westin (One Liberty Place) across the street from my work.

The Mets always seem to get the most attention when here for some reason. I didn't even know the Pens and Caps stay there also.

I do know the Dodgers stayed there for the NLCS. And I think the Brewers did too. I think MLB and NHL has some kind of agreement with them or something. I don't know.

Still never got anyone to sign anything. However, I have seen some of the players (Manny, Nomar) when I was going to lunch.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 09:38 PM
DJ Spinoza

Hey guys, some friends and I are coming this weekend to see Andrew Bird, and I'm looking for some beer advice. I'm a big fan of microbrews, and I'm basically just looking for a good place to have some stuff from Yards, and also Victory. I can readily get Victory on tap at places I go here, so it isn't as much of a priority as Yards.

I'm assuming that we will end up on South Street because there is a Record Store there that I want to check out, so does anyone know of a bar/grille around that area that would have what I am looking for? I don't want a bar that is more of a club with dancing, whatever. I'm much more interested in just a place to hang out, relax, and have some quality beer. It doesn't have to have much in the way of food, because we will hit up cheesesteak places, of course. Maybe we will pick up some appetizers to support the place, but we're primarily going for a few beers.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
Hey guys, some friends and I are coming this weekend to see Andrew Bird, and I'm looking for some beer advice. I'm a big fan of microbrews, and I'm basically just looking for a good place to have some stuff from Yards, and also Victory. I can readily get Victory on tap at places I go here, so it isn't as much of a priority as Yards.

I'm assuming that we will end up on South Street because there is a Record Store there that I want to check out, so does anyone know of a bar/grille around that area that would have what I am looking for? I don't want a bar that is more of a club with dancing, whatever. I'm much more interested in just a place to hang out, relax, and have some quality beer. It doesn't have to have much in the way of food, because we will hit up cheesesteak places, of course. Maybe we will pick up some appetizers to support the place, but we're primarily going for a few beers.
There should be a Jim's Steaks right on that corner for cheesesteaks if you're looking for something near that record store.

I was in that record store once, but haven't made it back.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
DJ Spinoza

Thanks for that info. Another question I forgot to ask, which is probably geared towards semi-serious beer drinkers: what are the best distributors/six pack shops in the area?

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:13 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:

They're not on South Street but here's a couple places you might enjoy...

http://www.monkscafe.com
It's a few blocks from South St., voted top ten place in the world to have a beer.

http://www.manayunkbrewery.com/homepage.php
If you like microbrews, they brew their own and have some good choices. It's about a ten minute ride outside of the city. But a nice place to have a few and some eats.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 02:06 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Another question I forgot to ask, which is probably geared towards semi-serious beer drinkers: what are the best distributors/six pack shops in the area?
I am not sure of shops downtown that carry six packs but...make sure you try Troegs and Flying Fish. they can only be found in this area and are delicious!

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2009, 11:39 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
For those of you in or out of town. You can check out these segments that my friend does for NBC Philly that I do some development work for.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/aroun.../39068547.html

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Guffaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The January 2008 issue of Maxim Magazine has a two-page review on area cheesesteaks.

Pat's and Geno's both get a 1 out of 4 rating. Tony Luke's a 2, Cosmi's Deli a 3, Chink's a 3 and John's Roast Pork a 4.
I don't care much for Tony Luke's cheesesteaks but their roast pork is pretty darn good. We usually stop there before going to a game.

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw26 View Post
I don't care much for Tony Luke's cheesesteaks but their roast pork is pretty darn good. We usually stop there before going to a game.
I just stopped by there on Friday. While Tony Luke's is my second choice, I much prefer Jim's on 4th and South, and it's not even close.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I just stopped by there on Friday. While Tony Luke's is my second choice, I much prefer Jim's on 4th and South, and it's not even close.
A Jim's Steak from 4th and South wrapped in a Lorenzo's slice (across the street) is widely regarded as "The Philly Taco".

Can someone say equally amazing, messy and heart stopping (literally)?

Yummm, I gained a pound just thinking about it.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Guffaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
A Jim's Steak from 4th and South wrapped in a Lorenzo's slice (across the street) is widely regarded as "The Philly Taco".
I didn't read the whole thread but did anyone mention Tacconelli's? Never had that growing up in the burbs but it's on my list of pizza to try some day.

Guffaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Dizzy8729

My friend and I are coming to Philadelphia for the Flyers vs. Predators game on March 7th, and I have a few questions.. Neither of us have been to Philly.

I want to fly out on March 6 and return on March 8. I was thinking for the night of the 6 we would stay in the city (not sure where, we might wing it, but would like somewhere less than 100 dollars). On the 7th for after the game, we are just going to stay at the Econo Lodge Philadelphia Airport Lester because despite the bad reviews, we'll only be staying there overnight, got it for 40 bucks, and leaving in the morning.

Anyways, here are some of my questions..

1. Is Center City "downtown" Philadelphia?
2. Does the merchandise store in Wachovia center carry all players on the roster in t-shirts?
3. How long before the game starts are people allowed into the arena? I've only been to Mellon and HSBC.. Mellon opens an hour before, HSBC was 2 hours.
4. Do players normally sign after games?
5. Is there public transportation (besides cab) that would go to the Flyers Skate Zone?
6. Does the Spectrum open and have a shop with Phantoms merchandise on days other than game days?

Dizzy8729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy8729 View Post
My friend and I are coming to Philadelphia for the Flyers vs. Predators game on March 7th, and I have a few questions.. Neither of us have been to Philly.

I want to fly out on March 6 and return on March 8. I was thinking for the night of the 6 we would stay in the city (not sure where, we might wing it, but would like somewhere less than 100 dollars). On the 7th for after the game, we are just going to stay at the Econo Lodge Philadelphia Airport Lester because despite the bad reviews, we'll only be staying there overnight, got it for 40 bucks, and leaving in the morning.

Anyways, here are some of my questions..

1. Is Center City "downtown" Philadelphia?
2. Does the merchandise store in Wachovia center carry all players on the roster in t-shirts?
3. How long before the game starts are people allowed into the arena? I've only been to Mellon and HSBC.. Mellon opens an hour before, HSBC was 2 hours.
4. Do players normally sign after games?
5. Is there public transportation (besides cab) that would go to the Flyers Skate Zone?
6. Does the Spectrum open and have a shop with Phantoms merchandise on days other than game days?
1- yes
2- only the big names: carter, richards, biron, briere, gagne maybe hartnell, upshall
you can also get some here:
http://www.modells.com/family/index....0&f=Brand%2F55
3-i think 2 hours, or maybe 1.5. plenty of time to eat, have a couple beers, and watch pregame skate from the boards
4-eh, its hit or miss really. dont bank on getting anyone special
5-no, are you wanting to hit practice? if you are flying in on the 6th you'll likely miss practice, they practice at the wach on game day (closed to public), and you'll likely leave before practice on the 8th, so i wouldnt worry
6-not sure, but i doubt it

march 7 is also fan appreciation night btw

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 06:42 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
It depends. Sometimes the stay at that holiday inn. I remember the Leafs staying there last year when we saw a game. We had to go to stubhub to get tix and a ton of fans were waiting for them.
I'm staying at the Holliday Inn tomorrow through friday

maybe the Sabres will be there

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
KitchenerRangersfan

Leaving Canada tomorrow, and gonna watch the Flyers/Sabres game Thursday. Got a few questions for you guys.

1. What is the camera policy at the Wachovia Center?
2. Which Holiday Inn are you guys talking about where some teams stay?
3. Around what time (or how long before the game) is the warmup/pregame skate usually?
4. My seats are 10th row, sec 101 behind the two benches. Is that a good spot to watch the pregame skate from? Or should I/can I move closer?
5. Arena opens 1.5-2 hours before the game right?
6. I know there is probably lots of merchandise sold at the store, but what are some sorts of stuff they sell, as I need at least one souvenir from my first NHL game?

Last edited by KitchenerRangersfan: 02-17-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added more questions
KitchenerRangersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 07:27 PM
FlyerCub

2 - Sadly, the Flyers main Fan Gear store at the Wachovia Center is one of the more cramped team stores out of the ones I've been to in the league. If you're looking for the player t-shirts at the main Fan Gear location (Broad Street side, northwest corner), head toward the back of the store and they're folded on one of two t-shirt displays in the middle. You'll probably have an easier time shopping them at one of the other locations in the arena.

3. The AT&T Pavilion on the 11th Street side opens up 2 hours before the event if you want to get in the building early. The entire concourse may not be open until 90 minutes before game time.

4. It really does depend on the night. The exit to the players parking lot is on the 11th Street side - if you walk along the north side of the building, you'll see the fenced in lot below and just follow the ramp to the 11th Street curb and you'll see the gates you can wait behind.

6. No, but you can get Phantoms jerseys at the main Fan Gear store at the Wachovia Center. The "Final Season" Spectrum merchandise is also available, along with pucks and hats, but I can't remember seeing t-shirts, sweatshirts, or other Phantoms apparel other than at the Spectrum stands.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote