HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT - O'Byrne loses it for Habs

Old
11-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozzwald View Post
Who put the game into OT? Habs were winning 3-2, and all because Obryne scored on us we would have won the game, 2 points end of story, but instead he puts it into his own net like an idiot ties the game, we lose in a shootout. It is obviously Obrynes fault. These posts wouldn't even be happening if it wasnt for him becuz we would have had the W.
To be fair, Carbonneau gets some blame for getting greedy to get the additional forward on the ice and pulling the goaltender with the puck in his defensive zone, which is something you just do not do. If Carbonneau plays it conservatively with a 1 goal lead and holds Price until the puck is cleared back into the attacking zone, the Canadiens win that game no matter what O'Byrne does.

In effect, Carbonneau made a bad play worse by hanging O'Byrne out to dry in the first place.

Even in a delayed penalty situation it doesn't take much imagination to see a contested pass drifting into the goal as a forechecker and a defender joust for the puck -- no clear possession, puck still goes in. Heck, that's virtually what happened.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
WeezyHabFan

no offence to o'byrne haters, but he didnt lose it for us... weak PP, and our ****** shoot outs are the main reason... but that goal really didnt help matters..

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
To be fair, Carbonneau gets some blame for getting greedy to get the additional forward on the ice and pulling the goaltender with the puck in his defensive zone, which is something you just do not do. If Carbonneau plays it conservatively with a 1 goal lead and holds Price until the puck is cleared back into the attacking zone, the Canadiens win that game no matter what O'Byrne does.

In effect, Carbonneau made a bad play worse by hanging O'Byrne out to dry in the first place.

Even in a delayed penalty situation it doesn't take much imagination to see a contested pass drifting into the goal as a forechecker and a defender joust for the puck -- no clear possession, puck still goes in. Heck, that's virtually what happened.
This is just horses**t, every bit of it is totally irredeemable stupidity.

Some people will find a way to blame the market crash on Carbo next.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's the same with Brisebois. He can score a goal and make 10 great outlet passes but if the 11th missed the tape of the guy's stick, the guy is garbage and doesn't belong in the NHL.
I'd like to say something positive about Ryan, but the truth is he's pretty bad in every aspect of the game. His decision making is horrible, his defensive play is attrocious, his positionning is bad, he gets beaten along the boards, he gets beaten 1 on 1, he takes useless penalties...

I don't care about last night's brainfart. But it seems that suddenly everybody on this board is Mr. Class Act and soooo emapthic. Please, the way he played this year, OB makes Dandy look like a Norris contender.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:59 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
It's just unfortunate circumstances. It was a freak play, like when the puck went off the lip of the boards on Price vs Boston.

O'B is definitely somewhat to blame but it happens to the best of them.

PS, the goal is definitely not carbo's fault. Price left when he should have left. People thinking he should have stayed in are wrong. That's not how it works.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Heck no it's not, O'Byrne brought the puck from his back hand to his forehand. If the puck was drifting it would have continued into the corner. Heck that would have been a safer play. He had enough control of the puck to direct it towards the net. Even he admits that he was trying to make a pass.

On a delayed call, you get your goalie out of the net ASAP, so that you can bring on an extra attacker to take advantage of the situation. The play is dead once an Islander touches the puck. So why would Carbo care where the puck is while pulling Price?

I would understand your post if Carbo was looking to pull Price and there wasn't a delayed penalty against the Islanders coming. But since that wasn't the case, I really can't understand how you can find fault in what Carbo did whatsoever.

Edit: Damn you for making me say heck twice.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
no offence to o'byrne haters, but he didnt lose it for us... weak PP, and our ****** shoot outs are the main reason... but that goal really didnt help matters..
I agree we didnt lose becuase of O'Byrne but it has nothing to do with the shootout.

No matter what the score, the reason of loss, in hockey, you win as a team, you lose as a team.
Did O'byrne mess up big time? no doubt he did, but he's not the first one to do that, and he will not be the last.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 07:20 AM
BadHabit

Quote:

Puff-puff, give man... you can't finish that whole thing by yourself!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 07:27 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I'd like to say something positive about Ryan, but the truth is he's pretty bad in every aspect of the game. His decision making is horrible, his defensive play is attrocious, his positionning is bad, he gets beaten along the boards, he gets beaten 1 on 1, he takes useless penalties...

I don't care about last night's brainfart. But it seems that suddenly everybody on this board is Mr. Class Act and soooo emapthic. Please, the way he played this year, OB makes Dandy look like a Norris contender.
If that were the case, then the blame would be on Carbo and Jarvis for playing O'B over Dandenault wouldn't you say? Not that O'B hasn't been the worst Hab this year cause he has but he should be as he's the least expereienced. Now he's had to take on a bigger role which he clearly isn't ready for. But he has had his ups and downs, of course it's just easier to put the blame on the season on him. I mean he's a whopping -2 on the year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Puff-puff, give man... you can't finish that whole thing by yourself!
Hey, if you can't see it I guess you just can't see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

The decision Carbonneau made to pull Price while the puck was less than 40 feet from the net affected the outcome of this game because it turned O'Byrne's bad play into a fatal play . If he leaves the goaltender where he is the Habs win the game. Care to actually debate that?

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hey, if you can't see it I guess you just can't see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

The decision Carbonneau made to pull Price while the puck was less than 40 feet from the net affected the outcome of this game because it turned O'Byrne's bad play into a fatal play . If he leaves the goaltender where he is the Habs win the game. Care to actually debate that?
There is no debate Dojji, no coach would keep his goalie in the net when a delayed penalty is being called against the other team. There is no reason too since the only way a goal can be scored against us is if WE put it into our own net.

Old
11-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Really thyere should be a rule in place that if a goal is scored with a delayed penality against the scoring team it would not count. The penalised team should not benefit from having taken a penality(the goalie out of the net). This probably does not happen enough to justify changing the rule...but it would be logical. I have heard it happen 5-6 times in recent memory, either from a bad bounce or errant pass.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:45 AM
David_99

Quote:

I've seen many times where the goalie leaves the net while the puck is still in the zone. As soon as the ref's arm goes up, the goalie usually bolts. Sometimes even without realizing the penalty is going to his own team!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:45 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Really thyere should be a rule in place that if a goal is scored with a delayed penality against the scoring team it would not count. The penalised team should not benefit from having taken a penality(the goalie out of the net). This probably does not happen enough to justify changing the rule...but it would be logical. I have heard it happen 5-6 times in recent memory, either from a bad bounce or errant pass.
The thing is the league is trying to have more goals scored, not less. So they wouldn't adopt something like this. Nor would I, as it keeps the 'risk' of pulling your goalie for that extra player.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
znk

Quote:
The team getting the powerplay took the risk of pulling their goalie...so in the end if they score in their own net it's their fault.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Because if you don't feel empathy you're either heartless, you've never played a team sport, you're a Bruins fan or you're just one of the countless "Internet/Forum Warriors".

What'l it be, son?

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
The thing is the league is trying to have more goals scored, not less. So they wouldn't adopt something like this. Nor would I, as it keeps the 'risk' of pulling your goalie for that extra player.
I think they mean goals against a goalie, not empty netters.

Old
11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The team getting the powerplay took the risk of pulling their goalie...so in the end if they score in their own net it's their fault.
It could be a bad bounce, d-man tries to pass it up to a forward and hits a divider or linseman and it goes it. It could also be a shot from an angle off the goalie and into an open net.

Old
11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Newhabfan

A selection of the best own goals in soccer, to cheer up Ryan. As the song says "You had a bad day...."

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/158888...s_of_all_time/

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It could be a bad bounce, d-man tries to pass it up to a forward and hits a divider or linseman and it goes it. It could also be a shot from an angle off the goalie and into an open net.
That's true CP, but it's still the teams fault, accidental or not. Since it's not a rule that the goalie has to be pulled, but a coaches decision.

But the odds of pulling your goalie on a delayed call and having a goal scored against you are so minimal. That coaches don't even hesitate to pull their goalie to take advantage of the extra skater.

Edit:

So if you want to get really technical Dojji, yes Carbo is partly to blame. But it's a play that 99.9% of coaches would have made.

Old
11-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That's true CP, but it's still the teams fault, accidental or not. Since it's not a rule that the goalie has to be pulled, but a coaches decision.

But the odds of pulling your goalie on a delayed call and having a goal scored against you are so minimal. That coaches don't even hesitate to pull their goalie to take advantage of the extra skater.

Edit:

So if you want to get really technical Dojji, yes Carbo is partly to blame. But it's a play that 99.9% of coaches would have made.
I still think there should be a rule that you can't score a goal on a delayed penality. You should in no way benefit from having taken a penality.

You can say it was whoever's fault and this and that happens, but it's true. I'm not just saying it because it cost us a point.

It has nothing to do with the coach, goalies automatically go to the bench when the referee's arm goes up. That's a basic part of hockey. Carbo's involvement is limited to who replaces Price on the ice.

Old
11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
I think they mean goals against a goalie, not empty netters.
I'm fairly certain when they publish their stats on the number of goals scored in the league they don't weed out empty netters. Since they want to see that number rise, then yes it'd be counter productive to put in such a rule.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I still think there should be a rule that you can't score a goal on a delayed penality. You should in no way benefit from having taken a penality.

You can say it was whoever's fault and this and that happens, but it's true. I'm not just saying it because it cost us a point.
I see where you're coming from, but since goals scored against the team that pulls it's goalie on a delayed penalty call are so rare. Not a lot of teams benefit the way the Islanders did. If this happened on a regular basis, then I might agree that a rule should be put in place.

Old
11-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:

It has nothing to do with the coach, goalies automatically go to the bench when the referee's arm goes up. That's a basic part of hockey. Carbo's involvement is limited to who replaces Price on the ice.
It's still a voluntary thing. The team decides, if not explicitly, they want the goalie out of the net.

If the NHL mandated that a goalie had to leave the net on a delayed penalty, I'd agree with you. But as is, it's the risk you take.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:01 AM
RC51

Talking about Ryan,, I was watching %110 the other night and they all got on Ryan as was expected but this came out also.
Thye were all saying that they wished that the true story about the purse thing had come out.
From what they did manage to offer was that Ryan had took the girls purse in order to get a digital camera out and erase all the photos. It seems a few married Habs were photographed with " not their wives".
The photos were bad enough to have Ryan take action to retrieve these compromising photos. This entire thing was much much more about Ryan taking one for the team.

If true then good job 007 RO

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote