HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT - O'Byrne loses it for Habs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
  #351
bagopucks
 
bagopucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
Howdy and bonjour.

I was watching the VS broadcast last night, and during an intermission they brought up this goal. Keith Jones showed replays where you can see O'B in relation to the two referees. He had his back turned to the ref who called the penalty, so couldn't see the guy's arm up. O'B was looking at the second ref, who was down at the Isles end. The second ref never put his arm up.

So it's entirely possible that O'B didn't know that the penalty had been called, and assumed Price would still be in net.

bagopucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:19 AM
  #352
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Talking about Ryan,, I was watching %110 the other night and they all got on Ryan as was expected but this came out also.
Thye were all saying that they wished that the true story about the purse thing had come out.
From what they did manage to offer was that Ryan had took the girls purse in order to get a digital camera out and erase all the photos. It seems a few married Habs were photographed with " not their wives".
The photos were bad enough to have Ryan take action to retrieve these compromising photos. This entire thing was much much more about Ryan taking one for the team.

If true then good job 007 RO
Well it was well known already that good old Christo was in those pictures....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
  #353
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagopucks View Post
Howdy and bonjour.

I was watching the VS broadcast last night, and during an intermission they brought up this goal. Keith Jones showed replays where you can see O'B in relation to the two referees. He had his back turned to the ref who called the penalty, so couldn't see the guy's arm up. O'B was looking at the second ref, who was down at the Isles end. The second ref never put his arm up.

So it's entirely possible that O'B didn't know that the penalty had been called, and assumed Price would still be in net.
Pierre McGuire brought a great point that I'm pretty sure Carbo and Co will start using.....Whenever a penalty is called and the goalie is pulled, EVERYBODY that is aware of it needs to start yelling "EMPTY NET" or "PRICE PULLED" or whatever to tell people on the ice that there's no more goalie in front of your net. Seems that it wasn't done and I'm wondering if it's done elsewhere.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
  #354
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pierre McGuire brought a great point that I'm pretty sure Carbo and Co will start using.....Whenever a penalty is called and the goalie is pulled, EVERYBODY that is aware of it needs to start yelling "EMPTY NET" or "PRICE PULLED" or whatever to tell people on the ice that there's no more goalie in front of your net. Seems that it wasn't done and I'm wondering if it's done elsewhere.
Some buddies and I were just discussing that yesterday and we were wondering the same thing, that is if teams have a way of telling the players on the ice that there's a delayed penalty called.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:05 AM
  #355
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,598
vCash: 500
can we close this thread
I think we have talked enough of it

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:21 AM
  #356
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Some buddies and I were just discussing that yesterday and we were wondering the same thing, that is if teams have a way of telling the players on the ice that there's a delayed penalty called.
They just have to get used to the new rule (face off in the zone of the penalized team), that is all.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:23 AM
  #357
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
They just have to get used to the new rule (face off in the zone of the penalized team), that is all.
My question doesn't pertain to the new rule.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:37 AM
  #358
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Hey, if you can't see it I guess you just can't see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

The decision Carbonneau made to pull Price while the puck was less than 40 feet from the net affected the outcome of this game because it turned O'Byrne's bad play into a fatal play . If he leaves the goaltender where he is the Habs win the game. Care to actually debate that?
If you think coaches pull the goalies on the delayed call I'm not impressed. From the lowest level to the highest it's the goalies responsibility to head straight for the bench on a delayed call. Coaches have absolutely no say in this. The goalies sees the ref raise his amr, checks who has control of the puck to identify against who the penalty is and then if it's against the other team he rushes to the bench.....he DOES NOT check if the coach calls him. That's pure BS.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:40 AM
  #359
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Some buddies and I were just discussing that yesterday and we were wondering the same thing, that is if teams have a way of telling the players on the ice that there's a delayed penalty called.
Yeah you can yell stuff like "Man on. Man on!" but it's rarely done.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 12:26 PM
  #360
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Yeah you can yell stuff like "Man on. Man on!" but it's rarely done.
ok, thanks. "Man overboard, man overboard".

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
  #361
Lord Horse
Next Day's News
 
Lord Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Full City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Hey, if you can't see it I guess you just can't see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

The decision Carbonneau made to pull Price while the puck was less than 40 feet from the net affected the outcome of this game because it turned O'Byrne's bad play into a fatal play . If he leaves the goaltender where he is the Habs win the game. Care to actually debate that?
OK then: it's fantastically stupid to bash the coach for doing what coaches SHOULD do, and in fact DO do, 99.99999% of the time: watch as the goalie vacates the net.... the goalie makes the determination. You're framing the situation in a way that pretends, that makes an assumption, that it's up for debate, when it isn't. Pulling the goalie should be an automatic response to the ref calling a penalty to the opposing team. Any coach from peewee forward knows that, and so should you.

OTOH throwing the puck at the goalie, or even towards your own net, should NEVER be done automatically without a good look at what's happening in the crease. There's a mental mistake here, and that was it. Plain and simple, no matter who you want to spin it to blame the coach.

Any play in your zone can be a fatal play, the coach has nothing to do with it. Patrice Brisebois, career all-time, has made so many boneheaded plays around and behind his own net that it's made people scared to watch - up to and including blind passes that go through the crease and more than one that has bounced off a player or stick and gone in our own net.

Can you imagine blaming the coach because having PB on the ice is *sometimes* bad, and may in fact be fatal? Is it his fault when, say, Brisebois or O'Byrne is his only option for the lineup? Why not then blame Bob Gainey, for not giving Carbo better players to work with, guarenteed not to score on their own net?

It's just foolish, you can't pin these plays on the coach.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 03:27 PM
  #362
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
To be fair, Carbonneau gets some blame for getting greedy to get the additional forward on the ice and pulling the goaltender with the puck in his defensive zone, which is something you just do not do. If Carbonneau plays it conservatively with a 1 goal lead and holds Price until the puck is cleared back into the attacking zone, the Canadiens win that game no matter what O'Byrne does.
What????? The goalie has carte blanche to leave the net as soon as he knows there's penalty called on the opposing team. You obviously have never laced up a pair of skates before.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:38 PM
  #363
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
If that were the case, then the blame would be on Carbo and Jarvis for playing O'B over Dandenault wouldn't you say? Not that O'B hasn't been the worst Hab this year cause he has but he should be as he's the least expereienced. Now he's had to take on a bigger role which he clearly isn't ready for. But he has had his ups and downs, of course it's just easier to put the blame on the season on him. I mean he's a whopping -2 on the year.
Am I blaming the season on him? no. I just don't see what everyone sees in him. I remember we both criticized Komi's decision making at some point of his devlopement. But Komi was a very decent young defencemen back then, even though he couldn't figure out what to do with a puck on his stick. Hainsey was a great project if compared to him. OB is just a liability out there. I hope everything turns out good for him, but right now I really doubt he will ever be something more than a 6th D.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.