HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

how to dangle

Old
11-26-2008, 01:51 PM
busta9

vCash: 500
how to dangle

Hello,

Does anyone know any videos or articles that give tips to teach a player how to dangle past defencemen etc more effectively. I would really like to know.

I only have 1 move and the other team seems to figure it out pretty fast. It's where I hold the puck out in front of me and when the defencemen goes to hit it with his stick i pull it back I put it through his legs and go around him the other way but sometimes they will stop the puck with their feet.

busta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
UserName

practice stickhandling, keep your head up, read what the defender is doing with this stick and feet, exploit that weakness.

for example, i'm coming in straight at the defender with speed with the defender doing single backward crossovers, left to right to gain speed.

i would keep my head up, read his skating pattern and timing. and when the timing is right, he would eventually crossover to the left, at the exact moment he is starting his crossover, cut towards the right, this will either make him complete the left side crossover and pivot or make him pivot during his crossover (which would be quite difficult), all you need is that split second to get by him, there is no need to put the puck through his skates.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 02:19 PM
busta9

Thanks for the tip...Are you a good stick handler yourself? what other types of moves do you use? Do you have any other examples? I would like to hear them if you don't mind...what do you do if he's not doing cross overs and instead doing the half circle motion and watching your chest and positioning himself properly between you and the goalie?

Old
11-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I feel it comes naturally with experience. Like I dangle quite often and I can't really explain how I did it or what I was thinking during the process.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 02:25 PM
busta9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I feel it comes naturally with experience. Like I dangle quite often and I can't really explain how I did it or what I was thinking during the process.
I wish that was my case too haha.....I really need help on how to make the defenders bite and give me something to exploit.

Old
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
noobman

Dangling is just good stickhandling combined with confidence, creativity, and speed. It can't really be taught, but it can be practiced and learned.

There are certain moves that you may want to learn:

1) The toe-drag
2) Quickly moving the puck from your farthest reach in one direction to your farthest reach in the other
3) Controlling the puck on your backhand w/ one hand on the stick

My only real deke against a defender is a combination of the three of these. I usually push the puck forward like I'm going thru the defenders legs, then pull it back w/ the toe drag, push the puck over to my backhand side and skate around the defender w/ one hand on the stick. I use my free hand to try and block the defender's stick checks.

This one works well if the defenceman bites on the fake play between the legs. He winds up pulling his feet together, which slows him down and adds some delay in his ability to start moving again. His only option is to either stick check you (which you block w/ the free hand) or trip you and draw a penalty.

If he doesn't bite, he'll have no trouble at all poking the puck right off of your stick. Keep in mind that I'm not a dangler.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 04:51 PM
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9 View Post
Thanks for the tip...Are you a good stick handler yourself? what other types of moves do you use? Do you have any other examples? I would like to hear them if you don't mind...what do you do if he's not doing cross overs and instead doing the half circle motion and watching your chest and positioning himself properly between you and the goalie?
i wouldn't say that i'm a great stickhandler in terms of sheer speed of my hands, i'm more of an efficient stickhandler that does the minimum, in terms of speed, until i find a weakness that can exploit with a few quick moves of my stick. for example, i can't toe drag to save my life, and i do just fine.

if he's not doing crossovers and basically doing c cuts to defend against you, i usually read his speed and positioning of his stick. if he is slow or lack mobility, i just go wide on him. if he is mobile, i look for a teammate until i can either pass, or he gives me something to exploit.

Old
11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
UserName

also, there is no point in slowing down, putting the puck through his legs or trying something fancy, if you clearly have the speed to beat him out wide.

a goal is still a goal, no matter how pretty it is.

and always keep your head up to see all your options.

Last edited by UserName: 11-26-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Old Time Sauce

you can't teach dangleing.. it's something that you're born with

Old Time Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ference View Post
Yeah, thats actually partly true.

Most players with good hands played a lot of road hockey when they were kids.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:05 PM
clarke19

Like the first guy said, watch the D-man's skating pattern. It helps a lot to be able to anticipate when to make your move.

Since I'm a Habs fan I call this the "Tomas Plekanec" I use it a fair bit. I come in off the right side normally, I'm a left hand shot and I normally play RW or Center. If I'm 1-1 on a guy I'll just stick handle freely for a bit and pull a toe drag. I pull an early toe drag though, so I'm not to close to him and he won't be able to pick the puck off my stick.

At that point I have one hand on my stick (the right hand) the stick is at a 90 degree angle to my body, basically straight out and I fake like I'm going to beat him with speed. I'm not slow by any means so half the time that option is a good one, but when it is not the D-man will force you off to the boards. That is when you try to get by him with one hand on your stick, make sure the puck is behind is body and with one hand you flick the puck behind him to the opposite side. Then you just pull your stick out from behind him and when your going for the puck on the other side when he is turning to keep up, protect the puck by putting your body into him and 90% of the time you have effectively gotten by the D-man.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:08 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
It's mental quickness and skill with the puck. You can't really describe it as a 12 step program or anything like that. Practice stickhandling and moving the puck quickly around obstacles, and it shouldn't be too far of a stretch to get it around a defender's stick in a game.

Keep in mind that it won't always work, and you have to know when to use your body to protect the puck and when to throw a move.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ference View Post
In all seriousness... this is true.
You can be good at stick handling but at the end of the day, it just comes naturally.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
In all seriousness... this is true.
You can be good at stick handling but at the end of the day, it just comes naturally.
I think more than being "born with it" it's about confidence. It's something I struggled with a lot, and still do to a certain degree. When I'm playing with confidence, I can walk through guys. When I'm second guessing myself or feel like I might be playing over my head, I get nowhere.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
XweekendwarriorX

to dangle its a skill you get by practice. i dont think your born with it you just pick up by watching other players picking up there moves and seeing what they do. also helps when you have free time during a practice to create and try things its easy to think of a move but 10x harder to pull it off when a defender is on your a$$ or in your face ready to drop you because your about to undress him. find easy to moves to start out with and work your way up to include maybe a stop spin or something. but first off all get the hands down and everything else should go together.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9 View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know any videos or articles that give tips to teach a player how to dangle past defencemen etc more effectively. I would really like to know.

I only have 1 move and the other team seems to figure it out pretty fast. It's where I hold the puck out in front of me and when the defencemen goes to hit it with his stick i pull it back I put it through his legs and go around him the other way but sometimes they will stop the puck with their feet.
Here you go....study this!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
You need to practice, it'll come naturally. Be creative.

After a while you can try that

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 03:01 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Here you go....study this!

Head coach
I find this to be a far better study.

I kid you not.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:15 AM
noobman

This might actually be a good video to study:

Look specifically at the game of keepaway. Datsyuk always manages to find a holes to put the puck through, and he almost always goes in the opposite direction of the opponent's momentum. That does make sense, as the defender has to expend some effort in changing direction, which gives Datsyuk the time to fully execute the move.

Old
11-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
This might actually be a good video to study:

Look specifically at the game of keepaway. Datsyuk always manages to find a holes to put the puck through, and he almost always goes in the opposite direction of the opponent's momentum. That does make sense, as the defender has to expend some effort in changing direction, which gives Datsyuk the time to fully execute the move.
So what did you learn from this video? Yes the man has great stick handling moves. That's why I picked him to show you in the first video. I love that fake to the left side of the goalie, then toe drag to the right side.

However, if you notice in this video, that he was going through the legs a lot. But, when the other guy got him up against the boards and played the body, his fancy stuff got shut down.

Maybe this is a lession for defensemen to watch. "Don't worry about the fancy stickhandling from the guy in front of you, play the body to isolate all that stuff."

In the second video, you see him deke the pants off a guy behind the net. He shifts one way they goes the other. Let me ask this. Would he be able to shift from side to side if the defensemen was playing the body? Maybe! But it would have been a little harder for him to control the puck with a defensemen riding his back.

Plus, it looks like his stick is about three inches too long. Look at the last video when it starts off. Check the stick length. Does it look high? Yes I know stick length is a personal preference, but they (the committee) says that while you are on skates, the end of the stick goes to the chin and while you are in shoes, the end of the stick goes to your nose.

Well, it looks like that extra three inches gives him more room to play with. What do you guys think?

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Red Dragon

be creative, you have to make the defenseman think you are doing one thing then do something unexpected. stick length will make a difference as well, if your stick is to long it will add difficulty.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:07 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
So what did you learn from this video? Yes the man has great stick handling moves. That's why I picked him to show you in the first video. I love that fake to the left side of the goalie, then toe drag to the right side.

However, if you notice in this video, that he was going through the legs a lot. But, when the other guy got him up against the boards and played the body, his fancy stuff got shut down.

Maybe this is a lession for defensemen to watch. "Don't worry about the fancy stickhandling from the guy in front of you, play the body to isolate all that stuff."

In the second video, you see him deke the pants off a guy behind the net. He shifts one way they goes the other. Let me ask this. Would he be able to shift from side to side if the defensemen was playing the body? Maybe! But it would have been a little harder for him to control the puck with a defensemen riding his back.

Plus, it looks like his stick is about three inches too long. Look at the last video when it starts off. Check the stick length. Does it look high? Yes I know stick length is a personal preference, but they (the committee) says that while you are on skates, the end of the stick goes to the chin and while you are in shoes, the end of the stick goes to your nose.

Well, it looks like that extra three inches gives him more room to play with. What do you guys think?

Head coach
To be honest, I hadn't even thought about half of that stuff. That's why you're the expert

The main thing I picked up from the videos is positioning and control of the puck. The trick seems to be to move the puck past the defender (be it though the legs, around the body, or between the stick and the body) and to detach yourself from the puck temporarily when up against a defenceman. If the defenceman plays the puck you're set, because you can easily get around and just lift his stick, or grab the puck from between his legs. If the defenceman plays the body, you pretty much need to be able to dodge his bump/hit and get control of the puck again.

I play D a lot more than I play forward... and when I play forward I usually just throw the puck along the boards and chase after it instead of trying to beat the defender. If my team can build up a good lead tonight I may try some moves as a forward.

The rule of thumb for a D man is to play the man, not the puck. Even in a no hitting league you can play the man, as long as you just stand in his space instead of shoving him.

Old
11-28-2008, 02:35 PM
UserName

don't be afraid to make a fool of your self, especially in pick up hockey. everytime there is a loose puck around the crease, i would skate in a try the "malik" between the legs. it doesn't work all the time and i look like an arrogant fool but it's damn fun to try.

watch videos, be creative and try to piece together several different moves in one move.

Old
11-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Canuck71

If you aren't really the strongest stick-handler already just practice your stick-handling as much as you possibly can. Use everything from a heavy stick to a light stick, and use normal ice hockey pucks and heavy pucks, and believe it or not using a golf ball really helps your coordination. Stick handle in tight areas or stick handle in your feet, you'd be surprised how much this can help you when you being pressured by an opponent in the corners.

Once you feel you have made an improvement on your stick-handling and feel comfortable stick handling the puck at a high speed you should start advancing your arsenal of techniques. I'd say start of by practicing the toe drag and just get the technique of dragging the puck towards you down pat. After that you should try some more advanced stuff like the backhand toe drag, some quick stick-handling involving left to right fakes which help you deke out the defenseman sometimes. Be creative with the puck.

Experienced players take dangling or 1 on 1's to a whole different level. When your coming down 1 on 1 with a player there is so much you need to identify first such as: identifying what hand the defender is, what side of the ice you are coming down (your on or off wing), how much ice is the defender giving you, the position of the defenders stick, do you have a speed advantage on the defender, identifying if the defender is crossing-over while hes skating backwards and taking advantage of it by going the opposite way of his cross-over etc.... Then take the appropriate measure to beat the defender by using several different moves.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 06:15 PM
hckyfan0099

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I think more than being "born with it" it's about confidence. It's something I struggled with a lot, and still do to a certain degree. When I'm playing with confidence, I can walk through guys. When I'm second guessing myself or feel like I might be playing over my head, I get nowhere.
That is exactly that happends to me. If I am confident I can dangle my way past what seems like any defender. When I am off, it seems like the simplest stickhandling is a challenge.

The only thing I can suggest is practice, practice, practice and be creative. I used to be a bad dangler myself but I have gotten better. And if you are doubt just look for a good pass.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote