HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Anyone have the latest Hockey News?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Anyone have the latest Hockey News?

*Apparently* Brian Burke wrote an article about the top 10 stories of the season, and his comments about the Bertuzzi/Moore incident have really pissed off a lot of Avalanche fans.

I'd be interested in seeing them

Old
07-15-2004, 03:14 PM
deathbear

i wanna read that too.

Old
07-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

I leafed through it at the airport, and from what I can remember, he said something to the effect of "it was a case of Murphy's Law from the very beginning. If a penalty was assessed to Moore for his hit, or if the next game wasn't so close and penalty-free, it might not have happened." Basically the same kind of stuff that has been argued to death on this board....

Old
07-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Sukh Pandher

I have it at home so if no one posts it by the time I get home, I'll have the quote up by the end of day. He basically defended Bertuzzi's character and said that the league and media were very harsh with their treatment on Bertuzzi. I don't believe he mentioned Moore but I could be mistaken.

Old
07-15-2004, 03:33 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Brian Burke wrote Steve Moore cheap shotted Markus Naslund in the first game.Burke wrote in the third game Todd Bertuzzi attempted to settle the score with Moore.Burke wrote Bertuzzi stepped on his stick after he slugged Moore in the back of the head.Bertuzzi stepping on his stick was the reason he stumbled and fell on Moore.

Is Burke being serious?

He also complained about all of the attention the incident drew.

It's on page 22 in the upper left hand corner

Old
07-15-2004, 03:59 PM
lennie

Why do we have to rehash this stuff over, and over again.

Burke's got an opinion. So what. His opinion differs from Lacroix's opinion, or any Avs fan for that matter. So what. Did you really expect anything different?

Its his opinion, and how he sees the event. Nothing more nothing less. I personally don't agree with everything he says, but at least he has an opinion.

Just as most Avs fan think Berts no better than an axe murderer, most Canuck fans see it differently. Are we really surprised by this.

Old
07-15-2004, 04:03 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Also consider that Burke no longer has any obligation towards the Canucks, he can say it as he sees it.

Old
07-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Fedz

Quote:
This was a Murphy's Law incident that spanned three NHL games.

In the first game, Steve Moore delivered a cheap shot to Canucks captain Markus Naslund. No penalty was assessed. In the second game, 65 minutes were played without incident. In the third game, Todd Bertuzzi attempted to settle the score with Steve Moore. After delivering a punch from behind, Bertuzzi stepped on his own stick, and had fallen to the ice, and both player stumbled and fell. Several players piled on.

The incident recieved record levels of publicity, replay after replay, different angle after different angle. Eyes were riveted on the sprt, including those of millions of non-hockey fans. The league moved swiftly and harshly in imposing discipline on Bertuzzi, as well as the hockey club. Everyone in the hockey hoped it would end there, but it didn't.

I only hope people keep in mind that Todd Bertuzzi is a fine person, and an excellent hockey player.
Can you say Burkey is a bit bias here. Calling Moore's a cheapshot, and Bertuzzi's a "punch from behind"

Either way, there it is.

Old
07-15-2004, 05:16 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz
Calling Moore's a cheapshot, and Bertuzzi's a "punch from behind"
Which is exactly what both were..

Old
07-15-2004, 05:29 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
He labels it a "punch from behind", to label it as all Bertuzzi did intentionally, meaning that the rest was accidental.

Old
07-15-2004, 05:40 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV
He labels it a "punch from behind", to label it as all Bertuzzi did intentionally, meaning that the rest was accidental.
Well he's free to say his opinion. No one still knows for sure if Bert meant to drive Moore's head into the ice.

Old
07-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200

Old
07-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Thanks for transcribing, Fedz

It's a lot less incendiary than I expected, given the reaction on the Avs board. I was anticipating something along the lines of "'TODD BERTUZZI' IS NOT ITALIAN FOR MAKE FUN OF ME ON DAYTIME TV! HULK SMASH!"

Old
07-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

It's a lot less incendiary than I expected, given the reaction on the Avs board. I was anticipating something along the lines of "'TODD BERTUZZI' IS NOT ITALIAN FOR MAKE FUN OF ME ON DAYTIME TV! HULK SMASH!"
:lol Your welcome.

Old
07-15-2004, 09:10 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

You pretty much just have to mention Burke's name to the Avs fans here to get them pissed off these days. His comment shortly after the incident that Steve Moore was expected to make a full recovery really pissed them off.

Old
07-15-2004, 10:01 PM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
You pretty much just have to mention Burke's name to the Avs fans here to get them pissed off these days. His comment shortly after the incident that Steve Moore was expected to make a full recovery really pissed them off.
What mention of Bertuzzi doesn't piss off an Avs fan!! I'm past giving a rats ass. If it was up to them, He (Bertuzzi) would never play again.

Who cares what Burke said. Its his opinion. No more no less. we are all going to look at this incedent through our own viewpoint.

Do you think Avs fans look at this the way we do? Of course not. And quite frankly who cares.

Closed Thread