HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sergei Shirokov

Old
11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
KeanuReeves

vCash: 500
Sergei Shirokov

leading CSKA Moscow in scoring I believe (not too sure) and his contract in Russia ends this year, so if a team can entice him to come he could be a pretty significant addition for probably pretty cheap... he's still young, was a pretty late draft pick by the canucks due to his situation...

I personally hope Gillis can entice him to come and at least try out for the team but with the culture of this team changing into a grittier "character-players" kinda style, I'm not sure Vancouver would be a desirable destination for him....

I'm thinking maybe a team like Washington or Montreal or Toronto might suit him better and thus maybe if he were allowed to discuss contracts with them or something maybe a team like this might be interested in acquiring him... keep in mind he can probably get a pretty decent contract in Russia so I'm not sure that an eastern conference team alone will be enough for him to come to NA

if there is anyonw with insight into him that would be nice, but the question is, does he have any value at all??... what if the team interested was allowed to talk to him and agree to something, would he have value then??....

KeanuReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

IMO his value is nothing right now. IIRC, if he's not signed by June 1st, he is no longer canuck property... and I see no indications that the club is at all interested in bringing him over, or that they even have a chance to bring him over if they are interested.... Gillis even said at the last draft that he would not be picking up any Russians because of how difficult it is to bring them over...

to me, all signs point to him no longer being in the canucks plans... and just around the corner from UFA status as well... my guess is because of that, his value is nil.. if any team is interested in him, they will wait until after he's no longer canuck property and try to sign him themselves.

I fear that most of our Russian prospects, even those that we hold rights to, are in the same situation... like Koltsov, who also won't have any value (IIRC we still hold his rights for another year??).

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
trbr86

vCash: 50
I would agree. Until he has signed a North American contract and he is on the continent, his trade value is pretty much zilch.

His good season in the KHL will probably see him handsomely rewarded in his next contract. Much more so than any NHL team would be willing to offer.

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Future considerations

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 12:31 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
nada. He could be signed as a free agent over the summer.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 12:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Someone might take a late pick to get the jump on signing him if other GMs see value in him.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:04 AM
RussianProspects

I am not an expert, but I don't think the current NHL collective bargaining agreements apply to Russia, since the league is not signed to the IIHF agreement and the NHL agreement only recognizes rights to international players tied to that agreement. So, I think Russians remain property of their respective NHL clubs indefinitely until an agreement is signed. Because of this, it is up to a club to release a player's rights in an effort to gain a compensatory pick (if any) and not something that happens automatically - at least as far as I can understand it.

RussianProspects is offline   Reply With Quote