HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did US television use the Bertuzzi situation?

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Papa Smurf

vCash: 500
How did US television use the Bertuzzi situation?

I hear from one of my friends that they had talked about Bertuzzi on The View a couple days after his hit on Steve Moore. And I'm sure you all know about the Jay Leno joke about him on his monolouge. But those are the only 2 US based show I know that mentioned Bertuzzi, has there been any more the paople know about? And I'm not asking if it was on Headline ews on CNN, I mean such things like talk shows and comedies.

Old
07-14-2004, 01:19 AM
nazzy

Didn't it receive some air time on Opera as well? I remember reading something that they requested Todd to go on her show but obviously he declined.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:04 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
I bunch of menopause women and lame talk show hosts made cracks at him. You know, the usual in America.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_man
I hear from one of my friends that they had talked about Bertuzzi on The View a couple days after his hit on Steve Moore. And I'm sure you all know about the Jay Leno joke about him on his monolouge. But those are the only 2 US based show I know that mentioned Bertuzzi, has there been any more the paople know about? And I'm not asking if it was on Headline ews on CNN, I mean such things like talk shows and comedies.
I don't watch a lot of talk shows, but I do listen to US sports radio during the work day, and they just hammered Bertuzzi. The Jim Rome show talked about it for 3 days straight, with every Tom, Dick, and Harry calling up to say that Todd is a thug and should be jailed. The Dan Patrick Show (ESPN radio) also talked about this a ton for a couple days, calling him a thug and a criminal. Keep in mind that between these 2 shows, you're lucky if you hear 5 minutes a week of hockey talk, and that's 3 hours a day from each show.

Somebody here mentioned that 'The Practice' had a show that the story was about a hockey player attacking another hockey player on the ice, and the legal situation that happened after.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

The Daily Show included a clip of Bertuzzi in a montage of sports violence.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:53 AM
NucksFan16

It was all over ESPN for about a week...Hockey Violence was the topic on "Outside the Lines", and it got about a 5 minute segment in sportscenter for about a week...

Old
07-14-2004, 12:56 PM
BrooklynCanuck

As one of a few American die-hard Canucks fans on the board, let me be the one to take the bully pulpit...

The Bertuzzi incident dominated sports news for several days, and was being discussed for weeks on ESPN. Basically, a hundred talking heads who know next to nothing about hockey were telling a million listeners who know nothing about hockey what to think. Several of the outlets and broadcasters discussing it have probably seen 10 or less games in their lives.

The incident was not presented as something that went over the line. From some of the coverage, you'd think this happened out of the blue during a golf tournament or something. There was never any mention of the Naslund hit, nor the mechanics of hockey violence/retribution. There were constant comparisons to the Brashear hit.

It was a poopstorm for hockey and Todd Bertuzzi was presented as a villian. His image will never recover with the American public. Hockey was presented as some sort of barbaric and provincial hobby sport.

Needless to say, I was pissed.

Old
07-14-2004, 01:01 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
I bunch of menopause women and lame talk show hosts made cracks at him. You know, the usual in America.

Are you kidding me?

Old
07-14-2004, 01:32 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_man
I was living in Ft LAuderdale when it happened and it was big news--it made more news then the TB Lightening winning the cup

Old
07-14-2004, 05:07 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Are you kidding me?
Should I be?

Old
07-14-2004, 05:27 PM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
I live in Manhattan, and like BklynCanuck was apalled at the coverage down here.

This got more coverage than any hockey-related incident since the 1980 gold medal, I kid you not.

It was all over the news nets for a day or two (CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc.) and was even on the Broadcast nightly news. Also, as mentioned ...on late night talk shows and on the morning shows. I even overheard some women talking about it hear at work .."did you hear about that hockey guy..??"

The sportsnets went on & on for weeks about this, and the general consensus was that this proved that hockey was barbaric (as were Canadians by proxy) and not worthy of mention in the same breath as the sacred baseball, football and basketball. You never saw THIS kind of thing in any of those games! (nevermind the raping and murdering going on outside the games.)

It was a sickening display of self-righteousness and mendacity by a media culture that revels in other people's miseries.

"Oh, look at this disgusting Canadian ..let's see it for an eigth time..."

Sorry, I'm still sore about it.

And I still blame Brad May. If that knob had just had an inkling more class than to go into Abby's face after scoring like some beer-league chump not once BUT TWICE, that game never would've gotten outta hand and we're be drinking from the cup right now.....

(ok, I exaggerate, but still.....)

Old
07-14-2004, 05:35 PM
nazzy

Whether May's taunting had any impact to Bertuzzi's infamous attack on Moore or not, I still loved what Mayday did.

He was trying to get his team back on good spirits and feel that extra fight to tie the game up with the score in reach. Unfortunately May got the 10 minute misconduct..

But that was a play by May that I just ****ing loved, just truly awesome. If only May could boost his team like that more often.

Old
07-14-2004, 06:38 PM
SopelFan*

2 goals, 3 fights, 2 misconducts.

Old
07-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Canadian Chris

Regis and Kelly also talked about it on their show...except Regis mentioned that the hit Naslund recieved was 3...yes, THREE MONTHS prior to the Bertuzzi incident...lost a LOT of respect for that damn show from that moment on...I watched it occassionally....if not only for the somewhat hot Kelly Rippa..haha

Old
07-15-2004, 08:51 AM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy
Whether May's taunting had any impact to Bertuzzi's infamous attack on Moore or not, I still loved what Mayday did.

He was trying to get his team back on good spirits and feel that extra fight to tie the game up with the score in reach. Unfortunately May got the 10 minute misconduct..

But that was a play by May that I just ****ing loved, just truly awesome. If only May could boost his team like that more often.

It was bush league.

May was on his was to a carrer night -- and his second goal made the score close. However, the second time he taunted Abby the refs had to call it (after letting him get away with it the first time.) But it was a 2 min minor, not a misconduct (at that point) and of course the Avs scored right away and the rout was back on.

I agree that May is paid to agitate, but that was plain stupid and cost the team big time.

As much as I tend to defend May and I like the guy, that's pretty much the only thing I remember from his entire otherwise forgettable season (except maybe a couple fights.)

Old
07-15-2004, 10:15 AM
PhillyNucksFan

Im in philly and new jersey area, and like NY people said, his news dominated espn and all espn-hockey related shows. ( i dont listen to too much local radio here, so I wouldnt know how local talks shows here discuss bertuzzi)

but from ESPN, man oh man, they made bertuzzi sound like a selfish goon who runs around and hurt people and said how this is how he got his points and he is damaging the league.. basically, he is a thug.

not suprisingly, the local american ppl here have the same image, (my office co-workers).. they also believe bertuzzi should be jailed and etc and deserve even more than what he has received.. and i didnt even want to argue with how that replay showed nothing more than a punch and probably 20 other players jumped on them, which was probably the main reason that moore broke his neck (heavy weight on top)..

bah bah bah...

but one positive out of this though... ppl here.. actually know where "VANCOUVER" IS now.......

:lol

Old
07-15-2004, 06:02 PM
nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan
It was bush league.

May was on his was to a carrer night -- and his second goal made the score close. However, the second time he taunted Abby the refs had to call it (after letting him get away with it the first time.) But it was a 2 min minor, not a misconduct (at that point) and of course the Avs scored right away and the rout was back on.

I agree that May is paid to agitate, but that was plain stupid and cost the team big time.

As much as I tend to defend May and I like the guy, that's pretty much the only thing I remember from his entire otherwise forgettable season (except maybe a couple fights.)
Oh.. I remember that penalty now. Colorado went on to score on that power play.. that's what ruined the comeback.

Anyways, he did go over the line a little but that's probably the most memorable game for me of Brad May. His hit on Tkachuk when he was just re-acquired was pretty big too but this one was great. 47 PIM in total on the night.. wow.

Old
07-15-2004, 06:54 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan
It was bush league.

The score was 5-2... that's close?

Old
07-15-2004, 11:15 PM
RI Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCanuck
As one of a few American die-hard Canucks fans on the board, let me be the one to take the bully pulpit...

The Bertuzzi incident dominated sports news for several days, and was being discussed for weeks on ESPN. Basically, a hundred talking heads who know next to nothing about hockey were telling a million listeners who know nothing about hockey what to think. Several of the outlets and broadcasters discussing it have probably seen 10 or less games in their lives.

The incident was not presented as something that went over the line. From some of the coverage, you'd think this happened out of the blue during a golf tournament or something. There was never any mention of the Naslund hit, nor the mechanics of hockey violence/retribution. There were constant comparisons to the Brashear hit.

It was a poopstorm for hockey and Todd Bertuzzi was presented as a villian. His image will never recover with the American public. Hockey was presented as some sort of barbaric and provincial hobby sport.

Needless to say, I was pissed.
I couldn't agree more. It's like Melrose said on NHL2Nite- something gets blown out of proportion and suddenly everyone is a hockey expert. Mitch Albom even had a piece on ESPN saying that no one should be surprised that this happened because it happens all the time in hockey. Every channel had coverage of the incicdent the day after and took the opportunity to rip the sport apart. Even the people I work with were saying Bertuzzi is a goon and an animal and before the hit, they didn't know who he was. I looked at them and asked where they got this information from and they said "Well, everywhere on TV."

Closed Thread