HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The bottom line : 5-on-5 play

Old
11-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
The bottom line : 5-on-5 play

I like what Carbo is doing with this team.

The coaching staff has received a lot of flack for the defficient powerplay since the begining of the season, a lot of that due to the everso obsessed on negativity of the Montreal sports media. Yet, why don't we hear about the best improvement so far made by the Habs. If there was one thing that was said in the past two years about the Habs, is that they relied solely on their PP, that they weren't a good team at 5-on-5 and is something that can kill a team in the playoffs.

This season, even after having a so-so record so far in the month of November, going 5-4-3 since the start of the month, we rarely hear about how good the Habs are at 5-on-5. Looking at the stats, only 4 players out of 21 are in the minus. And of those four, the worst is at -4 (Laraque). Plekanec and O'Byrne are at -2, and it is unusual for the former of the two, and Dandenault is the other one, with only a -1. 3 players out of 21 are even, Lapierre, Sergei and Kovy. The rest are all on the plus side :

Koivu +9
Gorges +8
Lang +6 (supposed to be slow, people should talk of how reliable he is instead )
Andrei +5
Markov +5
Tanguay +5
Hamrlik +4
Higgins +3
Latendresse +3
Kostopoulos +3
Bouillon +3
Komisarek +3
Brisebois +2
Begin +1

Carbo is fully aware of the offensive capabilities of his team. He wants them to learn defense in the middle and defensive zones and concentrate on this, because once that is fully integrated, the offense will come by itself as they were already used to playing that style, when they will be able to control the game, they'll easily be able to transit from the defensive and offensive stance. This will make the Habs a much better team than they were last year. And the PP will eventually get better, I have no doubt about it, they once found a really good formula for it and they will again. It is much more important they continue to concentrate on playing really strong at 5-on-5, to control the flow of the game in a defensive manner, so when playoff time comes, they will be much more harder to beat than they were last year. Any major tweaking on a professional hockey as what is being done with the Habs since the begining of the season, will without a doubt bring some bad games where the team is still adjusting to the new format of play.

My only concern right now is their play on the penalty kill. This will be very important to win games in the playoffs. They haven't been that bad, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Can't wait to hear your comments, fellow HFers.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Etienne

+1. That's my comment.

Oh, and the medias focusing on the negative is nothing new. You can't spend half of your time on the air speculating and telling BG what he should do if the team plays well. Drama and scandals are much better for the medias' own private interests.

Seriously, I don't know how Gainey and Carbo don't go on murderous rampages at times.

Or Koivu, when the media has nothing new to say and go after him again for his french. I'm half-expecting Pauline Marois to throw a jab at him in desperation if the polls predict her losing in the coming days.

But I'm derailing the thread. You're absolutely right. PP's current struggle is nothing compared to the improvement on 5-on-5.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

It's like they took away you're soul!! Where's Ozy?

In all seriousness, having Saku playing great hockey with tanguay, along with 3 scoring lines always help out your 5-on-5. ATAK line was also pretty good at 5-on-5 last year, so once they get going, our +/-s should be skyrocketing.

Oh, and put Andrei on the Point of the PP, and watch it improve by a few % in the short-run.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:12 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
I like what Carbo is doing with this team.

The coaching staff has received a lot of flack for the defficient powerplay since the begining of the season, a lot of that due to the everso obsessed on negativity of the Montreal sports media. Yet, why don't we hear about the best improvement so far made by the Habs. If there was one thing that was said in the past two years about the Habs, is that they relied solely on their PP, that they weren't a good team at 5-on-5 and is something that can kill a team in the playoffs.

This season, even after having a so-so record so far in the month of November, going 5-4-3 since the start of the month, we rarely hear about how good the Habs are at 5-on-5. Looking at the stats, only 4 players out of 21 are in the minus. And of those four, the worst is at -4 (Laraque). Plekanec and O'Byrne are at -2, and it is unusual for the former of the two, and Dandenault is the other one, with only a -1. 3 players out of 21 are even, Lapierre, Sergei and Kovy. The rest are all on the plus side :

Koivu +9
Gorges +8
Lang +6 (supposed to be slow, people should talk of how reliable he is instead )
Andrei +5
Markov +5
Tanguay +5
Hamrlik +4
Higgins +3
Latendresse +3
Kostopoulos +3
Bouillon +3
Komisarek +3
Brisebois +2
Begin +1

Carbo is fully aware of the offensive capabilities of his team. He wants them to learn defense in the middle and defensive zones and concentrate on this, because once that is fully integrated, the offense will come by itself as they were already used to playing that style, when they will be able to control the game, they'll easily be able to transit from the defensive and offensive stance. This will make the Habs a much better team than they were last year. And the PP will eventually get better, I have no doubt about it, they once found a really good formula for it and they will again. It is much more important they continue to concentrate on playing really strong at 5-on-5, to control the flow of the game in a defensive manner, so when playoff time comes, they will be much more harder to beat than they were last year. Any major tweaking on a professional hockey as what is being done with the Habs since the begining of the season, will without a doubt bring some bad games where the team is still adjusting to the new format of play.

My only concern right now is their play on the penalty kill. This will be very important to win games in the playoffs. They haven't been that bad, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

I agree 100%. Best general post of the season.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
The last few games makes me believe that our team is breaking out of this slump and slowly but surely coming together for their patented January to playoffs run.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
It's like they took away you're soul!! Where's Ozy?

In all seriousness, having Saku playing great hockey with tanguay, along with 3 scoring lines always help out your 5-on-5. ATAK line was also pretty good at 5-on-5 last year, so once they get going, our +/-s should be skyrocketing.

Oh, and put Andrei on the Point of the PP, and watch it improve by a few % in the short-run.
Shut up biotch!

No really, you should read my skanting replies to HamrlikTheStud and MaxPac I made some time ago, I haven't mellowed down one bit. I have a tendency to make threads every now and then when there's something I really like and wanna talk about, its nothing new. And really, I don't post as much as I used to, been quite busy in the last few months. I only do most of my posts from work .

Old
11-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Great thread Oz, I guess a lot of us are guilty of only focusing on the negative aspects (PP). So we tend to over look how greatly improved our team has been 5 on 5 this year. What's even more impressive is we haven't even hit our stride yet, so there's a good chance that we will continue to improve in this area.

I've actually seen some improvements in our PK over the last few games. Gorges has stepped up and been a big plus in this area. Plus even though he's been struggling in the offensive zone. Kovalev has been a strong PK'er for us so far this season.

Right now we're about at around the middle of the pack. So hopefully with a few tweaks and our players cutting down on some lazy penalties. We can improve to become a top 10, and with some luck a top 5.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:45 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Great thread Oz, I guess a lot of us are guilty of only focusing on the negative aspects (PP). So we tend to over look how greatly improved our team has been 5 on 5 this year. What's even more impressive is we haven't even hit our stride yet, so there's a good chance that we will continue to improve in this area.

I've actually seen some improvements in our PK over the last few games. Gorges has stepped up and been a big plus in this area. Plus even though he's been struggling in the offensive zone. Kovalev has been a strong PK'er for us so far this season.

Right now we're about at around the middle of the pack. So hopefully with a few tweaks and our players cutting down on some lazy penalties. We can improve to become a top 10, and with some luck a top 5.
We are in 7th place point wise in the league right now. Despite our so called slump.

Edit: My mistake. I just realized you were talking about the PK.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

Well yeah, they've also been very good in some games, I remember mostly the second period against the Wild, and the entire game, where they stopped 10 PPs of the Wild, given that the Wild didn't have Gaborik and aren't a force on the PP, it was still a nice showing. If Komi can come back in great form and be dominant, the PK and defense will be better for it. But finishing top 10 in PK would be a first in awhile.

Old
11-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Sthabs

Exellent Op
It s really unfortunate that drama sells more and that we re not talking more about the positives sides of this team.
I tought we could have those kind of discussions here on this board but they re unfortunately too rare here on HF.

5 on 5 play was my biggest concern before the beginning of the year and I d say that s the best improovement they made this season, I m not too worried about the PP and PK, especially PK, I mean we ve all seen them doing an amazing job on it, what I mostly worry about tho, is the effort or commitment level on some nights.
Altho, it might be something else, I ve heard some call it a complex of superiority...or sometimes maybe it s abad ice that makes them looks bad or wtv it is....a lot of times they re not all on the same page as a hard working team....I dont know what it is but it s gotta be fixed.

that s my main concern, and I believe that if they can finally fix that, they ll be able to beat anyteam in the league on any given nights. They have all the tools, they have the toolbox, they just need to put it all together.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
Exellent Op
It s really unfortunate that drama sells more and that we re not talking more about the positives sides of this team.
I tought we could have those kind of discussions here on this board but they re unfortunately too rare here on HF.

5 on 5 play was my biggest concern before the beginning of the year and I d say that s the best improovement they made this season, I m not too worried about the PP and PK, especially PK, I mean we ve all seen them doing an amazing job on it, what I mostly worry about tho, is the effort or commitment level on some nights.
Altho, it might be something else, I ve heard some call it a complex of superiority...or sometimes maybe it s abad ice that makes them looks bad or wtv it is....a lot of times they re not all on the same page as a hard working team....I dont know what it is but it s gotta be fixed.

that s my main concern, and I believe that if they can finally fix that, they ll be able to beat anyteam in the league on any given nights. They have all the tools, they have the toolbox, they just need to put it all together.
Thanks dude. But as you can see, even on HF, positive threads and comments don't attract as many postings and opinions as polemics and negativity. Every now and then I make these long positive threads and it never gets many comments. I get a lot of flack for my fury in a lot of the comments I make towards eternal whiners and people who scapegoat players, yet you never see those who complain of my attitude coming on these positive threads.

Negativity sells because people like to argue. You can't really argue much when it is something positive and obvious, yet like you did, their are comments to be made. Thanks anyway for responding.

I agree that the commitment isn't on par to what they can usually give, but it was the same early last season. New stuff is being implemented in their play and it usually takes some time to fully integrate. But like you, I have no doubt almost all aspects of their play that is lacking will eventually get better, and once this is done, we'll be a force to reckon with.

Old
11-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Thanks dude. But as you can see, even on HF, positive threads and comments don't attract as many postings and opinions as polemics and negativity.
QFT. Sad, but true.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 02:01 PM
kovalost27

I noticed the negativity as soon as I watched Montreal play against Detroit on Detroits hockey channel.

They were talking about how Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev, Lang, Markov are dangerous and how Montreal is second in the league for hits and how they're the team to beat.

I dont know what it is about Montreal... Maybe its the overpriced beer.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote