HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

RDS: D'Agostini Called up! Kovalev and Tanguay may be out, Latendresse in

Old
11-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yeah I know, and the sad thing is her family has more money than I do. But their ideas and our ideas are a little different. So to save a lot of hassles, I've just decided to pay for it myself.

Their idea: Get married in Russia (Her background is Russian)
Our idea: Turks & Caicos

Sorry everyone...I promise that's my last OT post.
T & C is the better options night in night out. I don't blame you. But in order for you to have the last word on this one, wear your habs jersey underneath your tuxedo. Or have a few Habs Flag on your wedding car.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:19 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I think that when Dandenault plays a great game i'm willing to give him credit for it. I think that when Gainey/Carbonneau decide that the rookie is ready he'll be called up.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem giving credit to where it is due anytime. If you look through my posts you won't see many posts that single out certain players or have much bias in them. However, when it comes to players like Dandenault, Begin, Laraque and Brisebois..I think that there are better players in the system that would elevate the team higher than these over the hill utility players, but thats just me. I also understand that these players are valuable to have for character in the locker room, experience and depth; it is a two way street. It is just tough to see players like D'Agostini and Chipchura playing at extremely high levels down in the AHL, while guys like Dandenault and Begin are in the lineup and not providing much more than a solid effort and maybe a goal every blue moon.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:26 AM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

Quit looking at the stats and start watching the games. if this play keeps up all season we wont have to argue about it anymore because Kovalev wont be coming back next season.

yeah, I'm sure if Kovalev finishes the year second on the team in points, management will be so disgusted by him they will go as far as offering him money to leave

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:33 AM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem giving credit to where it is due anytime. If you look through my posts you won't see many posts that single out certain players or have much bias in them. However, when it comes to players like Dandenault, Begin, Laraque and Brisebois..I think that there are better players in the system that would elevate the team higher than these over the hill utility players, but thats just me. I also understand that these players are valuable to have for character in the locker room, experience and depth; it is a two way street. It is just tough to see players like D'Agostini and Chipchura playing at extremely high levels down in the AHL, while guys like Dandenault and Begin are in the lineup and not providing much more than a solid effort and maybe a goal every blue moon.
Totaly agree with you.

Montreal has Begin and Dandenault and i dont understand why.

Detroit just put McCarthy on waiver and sent him to the AHL.
Same just happenned to Luke Richardson and i believe we will see other veterans getting waive sometimes in the next month or two.

Why dont we do the same thing.
Who cares if they get pissed or feel disrespected.
I want my team to win, i want young guys to get some experience in the NHL.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:35 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Totaly agree with you.

Same just happenned to Luke Richardson and i believe we will see other veterans getting waive sometimes in the next month or two.

really good points

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Totaly agree with you.

Actually they called McCarthy back up to the team and sent down Helm right after the game against us.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...811270399/1128

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-28-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:05 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
yeah, I'm sure if Kovalev finishes the year second on the team in points, management will be so disgusted by him they will go as far as offering him money to leave
Your ability to stare at the scoresheet without watching the game is astounding.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:20 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Totaly agree with you.

Those arent the reasons at all. The reasons are simple, you don't use prospects as the 'additional' forwards or defenseman when they can be playing every game in the AHL. Game experience is a lot more valuable than pratice experience.

Dandenault, yes, is getting paid to much to be a spare. But the contract is already signed, sealed and delivered. He's perfect as the #12-14 forward/#8 defenseman.

Begin is a perfect spare guy.

Brisebois is also a perfect spare.

The only reason it looks so bad right now is because these guys are playing too much due to injuries.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 05:38 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
D'Ago might make the leap if he plays well!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 05:52 AM
ReVeuF

Great, Dago fully deserve to be called, he was doing well in the AHL.

Lets hope he will force the management to keep him because of strong performance .

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 06:36 AM
kostitsyn1489

Worst time of the year to call D'Agostini, he better be sent down for Sunday!!!

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 07:19 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Your ability to stare at the scoresheet without watching the game is astounding.
But why does Kovalev get all the flak? There are other high profile players on this team that have been worse both in watching them play, AND on the score sheet(most notably Andrei Kostitsyn). But everybody is quick to defend him. The double standards on here make no sense to me.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 07:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
But why does Kovalev get all the flak? There are other high profile players on this team that have been worse both in watching them play, AND on the score sheet(most notably Andrei Kostitsyn). But everybody is quick to defend him. The double standards on here make no sense to me.
Kovalev has been in the league for, what, 10+ years? And this is Andrei's second full season. That might explain why Andrei gets more breaks than Kovalev.

Anyway I heard on the radio Lats, Kovalev and Tanguay are all "probable" for tonight so D'Agostini might be the scratch...

Last edited by hototogisu: 11-28-2008 at 10:18 AM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Kovalev has been in the year for, what, 10+ years? And this is Andrei's second full season. That might explain why Andrei gets more breaks than Kovalev.
Andrei has sucked ass this year.He got his nice fat 4 year contract and he feels he doesn't have to compete anymore.Sure he's had a couple of good games and the odd shift here and there, but he's nowhere near as effective as last year, same goes for Plekanec. Maybe that's why Kovalev feels like he has to do more himself, because his linemates are invisible most nights. I like to call them the "peek-a-boo boys" cause now you see them, now you don't.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Worst time of the year to call D'Agostini, he better be sent down for Sunday!!!
I totally agree....

Just have the feeling that all of our guys will be ready and even if only 1 is not, Latendresse is coming back in. For D'Ago to play we need 2 guys out....

'Cause if he plays tonight AND Saturday, he won't be playing Sunday...3 games in 3 days....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:53 AM
smon

Well, if D'Agostini plays we can finally see what all the hype is about anyway...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Turbo

Sounds like Komi was placed on the IR and D'Agostini is called up in case both Tanguay and Kovalev are out.

Unless the coach decides to give these guys an extra day off to rest the ills and let D'Ago play against a similarly injury-devastated Capitals squad? Sometimes that gives that little spark, though we tend to remember NHL debuts better than they actually were - most players often need a game or two to adjust.

Hopefully neither Tanguay or Kovy is out long term... Offense is having a hard enough time as it is.

EDIT: I said "NHL debut" for D'Ago, but I seem to remember him being called up last year. Did he already play a game or two?

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:27 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I totally agree....

Just have the feeling that all of our guys will be ready and even if only 1 is not, Latendresse is coming back in. For D'Ago to play we need 2 guys out....

'Cause if he plays tonight AND Saturday, he won't be playing Sunday...3 games in 3 days....
Carbo said this week if Lats wants to play he needs to skate better. He didn't say faster or that he is unhealthy. Lats even said he could have played wednesday. When 99% of players can make a tighter direction change than you, that means you can't cause turnovers in the neutral zone, deek 1vs1, mark your man, break free, the list goes on. I have a feeling D'Agostini is here to hopefully take Lats's place, and that perhaps BG has a little suprise in store...

Kovi haters : Kovi was the best player on the ice against the wings. He finally stopped painting himself along the right boards (it's become pathetic to see teams double-whop him like they knew where he was going), and started using that wicked wrist shot from the center. Veterans like Lang and Kovi are surely going to pick up their play as the season advances. Kovi skipped practice because we're playing two in a row.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
But why does Kovalev get all the flak? There are other high profile players on this team that have been worse both in watching them play,
That's pretty subjective isn't it?

Quote:
AND on the score sheet(most notably Andrei Kostitsyn). But everybody is quick to defend him. The double standards on here make no sense to me.
As mentioned, he's a 2nd year player. He suffered a head injury. He is playing on a line that clearly isn't functioning near its best, yet on other lines he has been one of our best forwards.

And he isn't doing enough on the scoreboard for your liking, right? How about in the games, helping the team score when he doesn't get a point? He has been on the ice for 11 goals this year where he didn't get a point. Some of those goals, he had little involvement with, some of them he either played his part or was crucial to a teammate scoring:

Game 4, Vs Bruins - When Kovalev scores from the top of the crease, the space he skates into is created by Kostitsyn moving Chara out the way
Game 10, Vs Islanders - When Plekanec is battling for the puck right in front of the net, AKost is right there with him
Game 11, Vs Blue Jackets - helps set a screen which helps Breezers shot get through from the point
Game 12, Vs Leafs - As the pass is made to Plekanec on the far side, AKost is screening the goalies view of the puck
Game 18, Vs Senators - Helps win the puck on the boards, it goes round, back to Markov who scores on his own rebound
Game 19, Vs Bruins - AKost gains the zone to start the play, then when the puck rolls loose, he is first to it, gets it back to the point for Breezer to shoot and it deflects in off Kostop
Game 20, Vs Islanders - He wins the puck on the boards, Pleky to Kovy, back to Gorges, goal

He had two goals ruled out thanks to the speed the ref blew his whistle too.

He may not have as many points as we'd like him to have, but he has still been involved in the team scoring, even if he doesn't get a point for his efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
Andrei has sucked ass this year.He got his nice fat 4 year contract and he feels he doesn't have to compete anymore.Sure he's had a couple of good games and the odd shift here and there, but he's nowhere near as effective as last year, same goes for Plekanec. Maybe that's why Kovalev feels like he has to do more himself, because his linemates are invisible most nights. I like to call them the "peek-a-boo boys" cause now you see them, now you don't.
- 3 year contract
- He could work harder, but he isn't alone there. He still goes to the front of the net, still hits guys though so he isn't completely coasting out there, as you appear to imply
- Young players being a bit inconsistent? Don't worry, I saved you the bother, I phoned Reuters on your behalf. They said they would break the news in about 15 minutes. Besides, take Andrei of the Plek/Kovy line and his play suddenly improves, looks like he did last year. Put him back there, he goes quiet again. Must be his own fault.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/264328.html

Does not indicate why Kovalev would be out.
Ouch. Bad news. Especially after the game Kovy had on Wednesday.

Let's hope the guys can pull it together it's going to be tough to generate a lot of offense with these two out of the lineup.

Need to trap the neutral zone again and wait for chances. Can't try and open it up offensively against a team like Washington tonight. Just play a safe positional game and capitalize on chances. Same as in Detroit basically.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
That's pretty subjective isn't it?

As mentioned, he's a 2nd year player. He suffered a head injury. He is playing on a line that clearly isn't functioning near its best, yet on other lines he has been one of our best forwards.

And he isn't doing enough on the scoreboard for your liking, right? How about in the games, helping the team score when he doesn't get a point? He has been on the ice for 11 goals this year where he didn't get a point. Some of those goals, he had little involvement with, some of them he either played his part or was crucial to a teammate scoring:

Game 4, Vs Bruins - When Kovalev scores from the top of the crease, the space he skates into is created by Kostitsyn moving Chara out the way
Game 10, Vs Islanders - When Plekanec is battling for the puck right in front of the net, AKost is right there with him
Game 11, Vs Blue Jackets - helps set a screen which helps Breezers shot get through from the point
Game 12, Vs Leafs - As the pass is made to Plekanec on the far side, AKost is screening the goalies view of the puck
Game 18, Vs Senators - Helps win the puck on the boards, it goes round, back to Markov who scores on his own rebound
Game 19, Vs Bruins - AKost gains the zone to start the play, then when the puck rolls loose, he is first to it, gets it back to the point for Breezer to shoot and it deflects in off Kostop
Game 20, Vs Islanders - He wins the puck on the boards, Pleky to Kovy, back to Gorges, goal

He had two goals ruled out thanks to the speed the ref blew his whistle too.

He may not have as many points as we'd like him to have, but he has still been involved in the team scoring, even if he doesn't get a point for his efforts.

- 3 year contract
- He could work harder, but he isn't alone there. He still goes to the front of the net, still hits guys though so he isn't completely coasting out there, as you appear to imply
- Young players being a bit inconsistent? Don't worry, I saved you the bother, I phoned Reuters on your behalf. They said they would break the news in about 15 minutes. Besides, take Andrei of the Plek/Kovy line and his play suddenly improves, looks like he did last year. Put him back there, he goes quiet again. Must be his own fault.
On behalf of the OP : Ouch

Simply great post Dave.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Ironically I think that Dandenault and Begin are with the club to provide "a solid effort and maybe a goal every blue moon". The fact that neither one of them complains about his role and both have a very professional attitude is a bonus. When Chipchura and D'Agostini make the cut they will likely be regulars and won't be asked to deal with the very tough role of a utility player.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:51 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Brilliant post. It's the sad truth.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:58 PM
BBrowser

Quote:
I love it when someone says they know what's going on in a player's head. Can you guess what's going on in mine right now? lol

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Andrei Kostitsyn has been a beast at times and has developed a physical side to his game. I'd say he's now grittier than Sergei. The points are not there, true, but he hasn't 'sucked ass'. Kovalev hasn't been THAT bad either, safe a couple of brutal games. You can see he's trying, unlike 06/07, but things aren't working for him right now.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote