HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ideal Lineup vs Caps

Old
11-28-2008, 10:39 AM
BadKiwi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueHabsFan View Post
You have to be kidding me. He is nowhere near the talent of the guys you mentioned. He is dependant on line mates that do not need him to play their game. NHL material, I would rather have Pierre Dagenais on my team. At least he might score a shootout goal for us. Dagenais had more Goals per Game than Latendresse, yet Dagenais wasn't a fan favorite in Montreal. Truth being, i cannot wait for Guillaumes contract to expire. Because he will either a) not be re-signed or b) traded before his contract comes up. (if someone would take a chance on him). You read it here first. He was Carbo's little pet project that never panned out, and unfortunately we have to deal with him for the whole year.
Are you completely clueless? The fact that players like Iginla are far more skilled then Latendresse and still took time to develop, just makes my argument stronger. Dagenais? Come on, the guy was a big kitten.

Power fowards that are not the best of the bests are usually dependent of their line mates. Heck, even Leclaire was dependent and was great power forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
It's a skater's league now. Not just straight line speed. 99% of players can out-maneuver him, I don't see how that can improve at his age. NHL "2.0" = movement. Give me 22 Kostopoulos' and Higgins'. The idea is to help the team, not Latendresse.
You also have to take into account that Latendresse has the potential to become a force with us. Helping him now, is helping us later.

If we see a player like him in the minor, we'll say that he has to work on his skating. Why is this nullified when he's in the NHL. You can't just take his NHL experience into account, you have to factor in his age. You said you don't see how it can improve with age, yet it already did...

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:40 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueHabsFan View Post
Making sure he is healthy is not the problem, actually having NHL talent is the problem, and he unfortunately has a lack of talent.

Since when did scoring 16 goals in the NHL become a big thing. Regardless of his age, he has shown no progress. His team came out this year and actually admitting to his skating difficulties. Carbo stated this week that he has to learn how to skate better. He has the second worst shooting percentage on the team. And he injured his shoulder last week wehn he was destroyed by a bodycheck. So much for the big body presence.

The Habs are starting to slowly admit they made a mistake with Gui, he was a healthy scratch Wednesday, he has been given less power play time, if any at all, and was even relegated to the 4th line for a few games. If D'Agostini can live to the hype everyone is putting on him, i believe he might soon replace Latendresse. IF he can perform.
No even your 10th post on hfboard and already bashing a player... great rookie... who let him in?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:41 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
I think management is a lot smarter than that. Can you honestly say you don't see progression in his game? That he doesn't have a decent set of hands? That his hitting, defensive awareness, decision making etc. haven't shown tremendous improvement, even from last year.

Go stare at a scoresheet. I'm glad this management won't give up on young players as readily as some posters here.
I'm quoting Carbo - The COACH, who said his skating is too deficient to play. If his D awareness has tremendously improved, why are he and Laraque the only 2 guys who can't play 4vs5? Or even 4 vs 4? Do you hear anyone complain about Sergei K, who is the same age and has comparable stats? Bloggers havent'given up on young prospects, many have just given up on Lats in the context of an obstruction free NHL.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:49 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Are you completely clueless? The fact that players like Iginla are far more skilled then Latendresse and still took time to develop, just makes my argument stronger. Dagenais? Come on, the guy was a big kitten.

Power fowards that are not the best of the bests are usually dependent of their line mates. Heck, even Leclaire was dependent and was great power forward.

You also have to take into account that Latendresse has the potential to become a force with us. Helping him now, is helping us later.

If we see a player like him in the minor, we'll say that he has to work on his skating. Why is this nullified when he's in the NHL. You can't just take his NHL experience into account, you have to factor in his age. You said you don't see how it can improve with age, yet it already did...
I understand what you are saying, and going on three years later, he has indeed improved his straight line speed. So you're saying wait out the year, and next summer he can learn to pivot? Then the next year how to mark a player while his feet keep moving? Or deke while turning to his right? I think this is a case of an over-hyped Local player who made the team when it was playing badly. It would have been great, but oh, well too bad... A few Kids in Hamilton are MUCH more promising.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:51 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Where is Lord Chezz when you need him?

Ok since these guys like stats, I recommend they look at the +- stats Latendresse has had. First season was -20 (horrible). Last season he was a -2 (much better). So far he's a +3. This seems to indicate he is playing better 5 on 5.

Last season he was one of our top forwards when it came to checking. He also managed to plug in 16 goals (which is not too shabby for a third liner) despite his crap speed. He fixed his speed in the summer. If you watch hockey (not just the stats in the journal de montreal) you'll note that he does a tremendous amount of back checking this season.

He also creates a lot of space for his linesmen in the offensive zone. When he played with Saku and Alex, he created many beneficial turn overs for those two guys to put it in. Yes, he didn't have goals, but he still managed to do his share.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:52 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
No even your 10th post on hfboard and already bashing a player... great rookie... who let him in?
Is this a hockey forum, or a Habs fan club? I'm a little sick of the 9 year old groupie team forums, I've been told hfboards are a little more than that.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:53 AM
BadKiwi

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, and going on three years later, he has indeed improved his straight line speed. So you're saying wait out the year, and next summer he can learn to pivot? Then the next year how to mark a player while his feet keep moving? Or deke while turning to his right? I think this is a case of an over-hyped Local player who made the team when it was playing badly. It would have been great, but oh, well too bad... A few Kids in Hamilton are MUCH more promising.
I see where you are going. But, personally, I think his nationality is playing against him.

Also if it takes 4-5 years for him to fully develop I'm willing to wait. In fact, most forwards start to peak around 26, Latendresse is no exception.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:55 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
I think management is a lot smarter than that. Can you honestly say you don't see progression in his game? That he doesn't have a decent set of hands? That his hitting, defensive awareness, decision making etc. haven't shown tremendous improvement, even from last year.

Go stare at a scoresheet. I'm glad this management won't give up on young players as readily as some posters here.
I agree with you to some degree. It's is consistency that has not fallowed and that why he is on a standby. Along the board in the defence side of thing, he has gotten a little better but still needs to work harder. Come back quicker on the backcheck.
The little things are not there yet. Has a result, his play looks not that different from the first 2 season.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:55 AM
zurg999

Quote:
I'm quoting Carbo - The COACH, who said his skating is too deficient to play.
I think I'd interpret Carbo's comment as saying he had to skate harder/smarter.

Quote:
If his D awareness has tremendously improved, why are he and Laraque the only 2 guys who can't play 4vs5?Or even 4 vs 4?
Can that be interpreted to mean he's a liability 5 on 5? No.

Quote:
Do you hear anyone complain about Sergei K, who is the same age and has comparable stats? Bloggers havent'given up on young prospects, many have just given up on Lats in the context of an obstruction free NHL.
Actually, there have been comments to the effect that Sergei is killing plays, mostly revolving arounfd making poor passing decisions, IMO which is correct. Does that mean he should be sent down? No. For the same reasons Lats shouldn't. Last I looked the team was still in the business of developing it's young players.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:59 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Where is Lord Chezz when you need him?

Ok since these guys like stats, I recommend they look at the +- stats Latendresse has had. First season was -20 (horrible). Last season he was a -2 (much better). So far he's a +3. This seems to indicate he is playing better 5 on 5.

Last season he was one of our top forwards when it came to checking. He also managed to plug in 16 goals (which is not too shabby for a third liner) despite his crap speed. He fixed his speed in the summer. If you watch hockey (not just the stats in the journal de montreal) you'll note that he does a tremendous amount of back checking this season.

He also creates a lot of space for his linesmen in the offensive zone. When he played with Saku and Alex, he created many beneficial turn overs for those two guys to put it in. Yes, he didn't have goals, but he still managed to do his share.
1- I watch, play and coach hockey, I don't just read stats.
2- I agree he's a good hitter and a good shooter. He is really good once the play is stable in either zone. It's the transition game, neutral zone play and forecheck he sucks at.
3- He looks like he's working hard (and he 100% is), because of his poor skating skills.
4- His +- are improving because the team is, and he spent half the games with Tanguay and Koivu..

I say he's had his chance, and is good trade bait because of his size, age and stats.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:12 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
2- I agree he's a good hitter and a good shooter. He is really good once the play is stable in either zone. It's the transition game, neutral zone play and forecheck he sucks at.
3- He looks like he's working hard (and he 100% is), because of his poor skating skills.
4- His +- are improving because the team is, and he spent half the games with Tanguay and Koivu..

I say he's had his chance, and is good trade bait because of his size, age and stats.
1 - Latendresse is the fourth leading scorer amongst his draft class. Why should the team give up on him at this early point?
2 - He's producing some decent offence this season. He has one less point than SKost in 3 fewer games and one more point than AKost in one fewer game. Can those two guys keep up in the new NHL?
3 - Latendresse has improved in his physicality, skating and defensive awareness since last year. He's going to the net much more this year, and using his body better there. It hasn't led to a slew of goals yet, but it's a positive sign.
4 - He is 21 years old. If anybody thinks that he has shown everything that he has to offer the team with regards to his potential, then that person is an idiot.
5 - Gui's attitude and maturity have apparently improved vastly this year. That is another positive sign.
6 - For all of the complaints about his skating, people don't seem to realize that it's mainly his positioning and choice of lanes that he has to work on. That is something that is learned, quickly by some, not as quickly by others. His decision making is something that is starting to happen more quickly on the ice, so it shouldn't be too much longer before he's putting himself in the right spot on the ice to make plays more often than not.

What else can people want from him? He's steadily and slowly progressing every year. To say that the Habs should cut bait with him is a grossly misinformed opinion as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by LyleOdelein: 11-28-2008 at 11:21 AM.
LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Lats is healthy. Carbo said if he wants to play he needs to skate better. The guy is already giving 110%, so you figure it out.
He's been out 3 games with a shoulder injury, get up to date on the news.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Carey Price and A.Kostystyn are also good trade bait, let's trade them also

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:35 AM
zx81

lol
another Lats bashing thread

We have a streak of 1 freaking win and we don't want to break a winning combination .

This is hilarious.

We won our last game with Lats by the way.

I would like to know our winning percentage when he plays with Koivu.

I bet it's near 90%

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote