HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komi & All Star Game (Unlikely)

Old
11-28-2008, 10:12 AM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Komi & All Star Game (Unlikely)

I may be wrong, but I read that January 2 is the end date for All Star voting. To be selected for the game, players have to have played 20 games by that date. Komi has played 14 games thus far. In order to be All Star eligible, he would have to play on Dec 20, which is probably about 1 week earlier than anticipated.

So Komi would not be eligible for the All Star game, or at least to be voted a starter. Perhaps non-starters who will be added to the game by the respective coaches can still have their games prior to Jan 25 count towards their minimum 20. In that case, Komi could be selected as a reserve.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
I may be wrong, but I read that January 2 is the end date for All Star voting. To be selected for the game, players have to have played 20 games by that date. Komi has played 14 games thus far. In order to be All Star eligible, he would have to play on Dec 20, which is probably about 1 week earlier than anticipated.

So Komi would not be eligible for the All Star game, or at least to be voted a starter. Perhaps non-starters who will be added to the game by the respective coaches can still have their games prior to Jan 25 count towards their minimum 20. In that case, Komi could be selected as a reserve.
and like hell that will happen, oh well no Habs full line-up, i guess Mike Green will feel a little crowded...

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
vbelanger

On RDS, they said this doesn't apply to established players in the NHL, only prospects

I hope for once that they're right!

vbelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Jigger77

He doesn't belong there anyway.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbelanger View Post
On RDS, they said this doesn't apply to established players in the NHL, only prospects

Yes, they are, they called a liaison at the NHL, the one who's in charge of these events, and he said this rule was only applicable for rookies. And that they wouldn't do that for established players.

Anyway, the only player from the Habs I do not want to see there is Komi. He doesn't belong there. He's not an offensive Dman and that game is based on offense. Also, Komi's contract is up at the end of the season, so I just wish people would stop voting for him. I know, I know, other players have their contracts up too, the difference is, they are worthy of an all-star game and they are already winning amounts that will be close to what they will get at season's end.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:31 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Markov, Koivu and Price are the only ones who even remotely deserving of all-star game votes on the team.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
and he shouldn't have been on the ballot in the first place, but the NHL felt he deserved to be there.

Damien Cox was talking about the farce that the all star voting process has become on "studs and duds" last night and mentioned how fans almost got Rory in last year with the write in, and then said MOntreal fans were doing the same thing with all the write in voting for their players. : moron needs to get his facts straight.

It's really ticking me off that everyone seems to be blaming hab fans, and not criticizing the NHL for putting 6 guys on the ballot.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:49 AM
TheCH*

What would he do in the skills competition anyways?
They should have a hitting event just for him!!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Markov, Koivu and Price are the only ones who even remotely deserving of all-star game votes on the team.
Oh come on WTK, Kovalev would be great for the Skills competition, the ballot choices were based on last season, where Kovy finished in the top 10 pointers in the east and top 2 pointers for RW in the LEAGUE. Kovalev deserved to be there last year and didn't go, and you're only basing this on the first 20 games of this season, which is ludicrous. He's only 3 points behind his total last year at the same point.

I find it laughable that some people say our players aren't deserving. Do you all actually realize that there are only 10 players in the East that are over 20 points, and that Kovy, Koivu and Tanguay are very close to 20 points? They aren't deserving because what? They are 2-3 points behind while the team is in a bad stretch? Leave them a month and probably two or three of them will be PPG, and will be among the top 12-15 pointers in the East. So they shouldn't go because they will have a 4-7 points difference, yet are playing on a team filled with talent and point production is more difficult because it is shared among more players??

And as for Tanguay, he's only 1 point behind Koivu, and they both had seasons under 60 points last year, so I really don't see your point, unless you are talking of Koivu being our captain and close to retirement and deserving for his commitment and entire career here.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 11-28-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old
11-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Mue

Quote:
Agreed.

IMO, Markov is the only one who deserves to be a starter.

Although I hate the ASG so who cares.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:01 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbelanger View Post

+1, I saw that as well. If Komi is selected, this rule does not apply for him.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:05 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
and he shouldn't have been on the ballot in the first place, but the NHL felt he deserved to be there.

Damien Cox was talking about the farce that the all star voting process has become on "studs and duds" last night and mentioned how fans almost got Rory in last year with the write in, and then said MOntreal fans were doing the same thing with all the write in voting for their players. : moron needs to get his facts straight.

It's really ticking me off that everyone seems to be blaming hab fans, and not criticizing the NHL for putting 6 guys on the ballot.
I agree, the game is in Montreal on the teams 100th anniversary year....what did they think would happen? Bob McKenzie put it best saying that there are far worst things in the NHL then an all Habs starting lineup in Montreal on the 100th anniversary.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:08 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post

yeah your right... should have been O'byrne

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Oh come on WTK, Kovalev would be great for the Skills competition, the ballot choices were based on last season, where Kovy finished in the top 10 pointers in the east and top 2 pointers for RW in the LEAGUE. Kovalev deserved to be there last year and didn't go, and you're only basing this on the first 20 games of this season, which is ludicrous. He's only 3 points behind his total last year at the same point.

And as for Tanguay, he's only 1 point behind Koivu, and they both had seasons under 60 points last year, so I really don't see your point, unless you are talking of Koivu being our captain and close to retirement and deserving for his commitment and entire career here.
Agreed. Kovalev is made for the All-Star Game. He'd hold his own in any competition and he'd be spectacular in the puck-handling skills. I'd like to see him in the accuracy shooting comp too.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:16 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Kovalev in shootout competition?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:17 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
What would he do in the skills competition anyways?
They should have a hitting event just for him!!
They'd prob just throw him into hardest shot competition and call it a day.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:18 AM
znk

Quote:
Exactly

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'd love to see Komisarek at the All-Star game. I doubt he'd actually hit anybody, that wouldn't be kosher for the event, but at least I could help pass the time watching it (yes, I think for the first time in more than a decade I will watch it) by at least hoping he might.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
GoHabs20

big fan of his, but I agree with those that said he doesn't belong there (not the way he was playing before he got injured).

Laraque

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
hickles46

Isn't it 10 games anyway? They should have the winner of the hardest shot competition shoot, and komi has to block it

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
When fans are allowed to vote for all-stars, its who the fans believe, not who truly is or who has the best statistics.

If fans decided that Shawn Chambers, 1 overall in NHL 93, deserved to be in the All-Star Game, then Shawn Chambers deserves to be in the All-Star Game. Plain and simple.

When the people speak, you deal with the results.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:40 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickles46 View Post
Isn't it 10 games anyway? They should have the winner of the hardest shot competition shoot, and komi has to block it
Ouch!

Old
11-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Etienne

Am I the only one who noticed who's behind the Habs in the votes?

Andrei Markov 391,563
Mike Komisarek 352,077
Zdeno Chara 168,908
Sergei Gonchar 149,314

Carey Price 381,412
Marc-André Fleury 165,538

Zdeno Chara is having a subpar start of the season, by his standard. 4G, 5A and -1 in the plus/minus. Markov, Streit, Green, Kuba and a few others (even Rangers fans's whipping boy Rozsival) are having a better season offensively with teams who aren't as hot as the Bruins ('cause only offense counts in the ASG, right?)

Sergei Gonchar has yet to play a single game this season. Optimistic reports say he'll be back by the end of February or early March. He won't even be able to skate by the time the ASG starts. He's followed by Mike Green (who should be there) and Ryan Whitney, another Pens who has yet to play a game this season and would have as much right to be there as Komisarek even if he wasn't injured.

Marc-André Fleury, after taking his team to the SCF, is struggling with a .907 SAV% (tied for 26th in the NHL) and 2.88 GAA (27th).

Habs fans are taking the heat for stuffing the votes. I'm not defending that and I don't really like it. I'm a hockey fan before being a Habs fan, and I'd like to see the best players in the NHL at the All-Stars. However, I'm getting a little sick of the double standard. For some reason, people are blind to the fact that every fanbases are doing the exact same thing, but they're mad Habs fans are either more numerous or determined.

So, my point is, if we'll have people who don't deserve to be starters anyways, I'd rather have the 6 Habs for the 100th at the Bell Center. I'll be curious to see how 6 very good players guys playing together for months (or years if you don't count Tanguay) will do against the best of the West who only have a few hours to get their game together (that's supposing Wings fans don't push Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom as starters, which is the case right now).

Last edited by Etienne: 11-28-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Am I the only one who noticed who's behind the Habs in the votes?

Andrei Markov 391,563
Mike Komisarek 352,077
Zdeno Chara 168,908
Sergei Gonchar 149,314

Carey Price 381,412
Marc-André Fleury 165,538

Zdeno Chara is having a subpar start of the season, by his standard. 4G, 5A and -1 in the plus/minus. Markov, Streit, Green, Kuba and a few others (even Rangers fans's whipping boy Rozsival) are having a better season offensively with teams who aren't as hot as the Bruins ('cause only offense counts in the ASG, right?)

Sergei Gonchar has yet to play a single game this season. Optimistic reports say he'll be back by the end of February or early March. He won't even be able to skate by the time the ASG starts. He's followed by Mike Green (who should be there) and Ryan Whitney, another Pens who has yet to play a game this season and would have as much right to be there as Komisarek even if he wasn't injured.

Marc-André Fleury, after taking his team to the SCF, is struggling with a .907 SAV% (tied for 26th in the NHL) and 2.88 GAA (27th).

Habs fans are taking the heat for stuffing the votes. I'm not defending that and I don't really like it. I'm a hockey fan before being a Habs fan, and I'd like to see the best players in the NHL at the All-Stars. However, I'm getting a little sick of the double standard. For some reason, people are blind to the fact that every fanbases are doing the exact same thing, but they're mad Habs fans are either more numerous or determined.

So, my point is, if we'll have people who don't deserve to be starters anyways, I'd rather have the 6 Habs. I'll be curious to see how 6 very good players guys playing together for months (or years if you don't count Tanguay) will do against the best of the West who only have a few hours to get their game together (that's supposing Wings fans don't push Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom as starters, which is the case right now).
Also, include the fact that Zetterberg and Datsyuk have only 3-4-5 more points than Koivu, Tanguay and Kovy.

And other players have more points than them in the West.

they don't deserve it!

FFS, players who are on top in point production will be there no matter if they don't get voted in, this is our only chance to see many Habs players at the ASG in our hometown. People are such whiners.

Old
11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
When fans are allowed to vote for all-stars, its who the fans believe, not who truly is or who has the best statistics.

If fans decided that Shawn Chambers, 1 overall in NHL 93, deserved to be in the All-Star Game, then Shawn Chambers deserves to be in the All-Star Game. Plain and simple.

When the people speak, you deal with the results.
Instead of voting for him to go to the ASG they should just turn on the tv or go to a game during any regular season game.

Unless that is they like to see their stay at home, hard hitting defenceman get completely embarassed because there is no hitting in the ASG and because he can't do anything during the skills competition.