Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do the Wild do from here?

Old
11-23-2008, 12:03 PM
North Metro Peewees

vCash: 500
What do the Wild do from here?

It's become apparent this team will be goal starved all season and will need to win plenty of 2-1 games. Obviously there are 2 teams (Detroit and San Jose) who are head and shoulders above everyone else and we can't compete with either of them.

Here is my question.

Do we deal Gaborik for picks/prospects or do we hope to get NHL ready or already contributing talent?

I know the record has been good so far this year; however, they need to get a bit worse before they can get better. Picking top 10 this year would be nice and getting a Hedman, Schoeder or Tavarese would make them better much more quickly.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:44 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Spezza or bust. I want that guy on this team

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Keetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Spezza or bust. I want that guy on this team
I can hardly tell.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:16 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Mites View Post
I know the record has been good so far this year; however, they need to get a bit worse before they can get better. Picking top 10 this year would be nice and getting a Hedman, Schroeder or Tavares would make them better much more quickly.
I think this is already happening. I'd say this 1-2 year period of treading water is the precursor to a higher level of play. This team is too good to tank this year. We won't be able to go low enough to get top-10 draft pick. We already are young enough and have enough high draft picks to make it work. More emphasis should be taken on bringing the current young players up to their potential before we bring in too many more youngsters.

Basically the Wild has to wait for Gaborik to play again, and once he starts his auditioning, he will be traded (probably at the deadline) for picks/prospects/young NHL players. Unless Gaborik is packaged with more Wild players, like Harding for example, we won't be seeing a proven top player coming here.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:05 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I think that DR will sign him to a 1 year extension. This would be good for both parties because ...

1. Gives Gabby more time to get healthly and showcase his talent around the league before hitting the 2010 free agent market.
2. Gives DR more time to trade him and get something in return.

Otherwise ... the Wild is facing the possiblity of losing him without getting anyting in return. Gaborik is facing the possiblity of not getting the bump in salary that his
agent was sure that he could get before his last injury.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:13 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I think that DR will sign him to a 1 year extension. This would be good for both parties because ...

1. Gives Gabby more time to get healthly and showcase his talent around the league before hitting the 2010 free agent market.
2. Gives DR more time to trade him and get something in return.

Otherwise ... the Wild is facing the possiblity of losing him without getting anyting in return. Gaborik is facing the possiblity of not getting the bump in salary that his
agent was sure that he could get before his last injury.

I would even say Gaborik's "bump in salary" may be a cut. First the number of games he has missed the past 5 years must scare teams and with the anticipated drop in the salary cap by potentially several millions means teams won't have room for him.

Maybe he could go to the hockey hot bed of Atlanta and play before fans that don't know him and don't care how good he is! It worked well for his pal.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote