HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/26/08 "With A Side Of Turducken" - Devils VS. Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I am all for McCabe running the powerplay. He is a PP QB and has a laser from the point, which is never a bad thing, and which works for us when teams converge on him, opening other players. We need more voices heard on the ice.
that doesn't work as well when you're using an umbrella, which is what he called kreps over to set up. he wanted kreps to feed him for a shot from the top. that doesn't really play to the scenario you talk about - if their F comes out high to block the shooting lane, you've got... 2 of your players (with lesser shots) stuck up high in shooting positions basically just to feed mccabe, rather than being down low where they can do some damage. this is what denis potvin alluded to in the broadcast.

also disagree about players going off script and audible-ing on the ice (if that's what happened). that's not how this team is going to fix the PP. they just need to get shots and people to the net. it's simple.

Old
11-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
what are those two things on the front of your face? stewie played one of the best games he's played for us. he showed you a lot of speed, power, some hands, some grit. i think he should be getting more time with guys like frolik, kreps to see if we can find some scoring chemistry there. he's really looking confident. if we could set him off, we could find some desperately needed additional scoring.

he's looked blah, yes but you're... uh... overreacting, slightly. i keep bringing this up but nobody gives the notion any credence, *ever* - confidence is a HUGE part performing well. that goes for just about everything in life. what i see now in stewie is confidence. i don't see that in jay. there's is such a thing as team confidence as well. if anyone saw bryan allen between periods, you heard him talk about it. the funny thing is, you can't really "make" confidence. the team worked their ass off the 2nd half of that game and deserved the point. even tho we lost, the comeback could help in the confidence department.

i agree. what was so enjoyable is that they really, really outworked NJ the 2nd half of that game and, for once (!), were rewarded. we sagged a bit after that lackluster PP in OT and were a bit disorganized just before NJ got the winner as a result, imo. i'm hopeful the team can pull the positives out of the game. the lesson is that they CAN grind out goals and get points if they want to work for it. that's 2 games in a row, folks! 2 games in a row we've seen this team really battle hard and grind out some tough goals. that is encouraging, imo. if they can continue this effort tomorrow, they actually could turn this thing around.

not sure about mccabe giving instructions on the ice. as potvin noted, an umbrella on a 4v3 isn't usually the best tactical approach, much the same as with a 5v3. it didn't really help either.
I agree with everything here. Stewie may not ever live up to his draft spot, but he's definitely the type of grinder we need. I'm hoping he will be able to stick around for a few years at least. And he'll be cheap so that'll work in our favor as well.

I have to say again that we did a nice job to snatch a point. This comeback reminds me of our late, two-goal meltdown against Edmonton last year. And to do this against New Jersey, even without Brodeur, says a little something.

And too bad we couldn't do more with that power play in overtime. Trying to set-up Cabber is nice, but don't focus the whole power play towards it. I would have welcomed more down low, slot work too.

It sux to see so many posters rip Bouw. The kid had a big hand in this comeback and still can't get any props. I definitely would like him to stick around but I just don't think that will happen. Losing him will definitely hurt our team speed and attack. As much as I like Cully, we don't need him rushing up ice because he gets caught too much and that's what ultimately led to their game-winning goal last night. Seems like a lot of you guys wish he moved his feet like Booth and shot like Horton, but you are what you are... and he's a solid defenseman. Anyway, I don't know how we can get better losing a workhorse like Bouw. I definitely hope there is a way though.

-ghoste

Old
11-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Pukboy5kroner

I wasn't surprised to see Bouw getting ripped after having a solid game. When he chose not to sign a long term contract, a lot of folks turned on him. I thought he was good, and could pretty much see it click after a few messed up breakout attempts during the 2nd, when he just carried the puck down ice. From that point on he seemed like he took it apon himself to make this team better last night.

Old
11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
that doesn't work as well when you're using an umbrella, which is what he called kreps over to set up. he wanted kreps to feed him for a shot from the top. that doesn't really play to the scenario you talk about - if their F comes out high to block the shooting lane, you've got... 2 of your players (with lesser shots) stuck up high in shooting positions basically just to feed mccabe, rather than being down low where they can do some damage. this is what denis potvin alluded to in the broadcast.

also disagree about players going off script and audible-ing on the ice (if that's what happened). that's not how this team is going to fix the PP. they just need to get shots and people to the net. it's simple.
I see that as a problem with their powerplay all around: 5 on 4, 5 on 3, 4 on 3. They become a one trick pony and quit playing with any hustle.

It really showed last night. They failed to really generate much on any of their powerplays, yet late in the game they scored on an improvised odd man rush and then scored by attacking the net late. This team seems to need a bit more variety in their offense, because as is, it is quite easy for a goalie to target in on McCabe and assume he will take the shot.

Old
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
It sux to see so many posters rip Bouw. The kid had a big hand in this comeback and still can't get any props. I definitely would like him to stick around but I just don't think that will happen. Losing him will definitely hurt our team speed and attack. As much as I like Cully, we don't need him rushing up ice because he gets caught too much and that's what ultimately led to their game-winning goal last night. Seems like a lot of you guys wish he moved his feet like Booth and shot like Horton, but you are what you are... and he's a solid defenseman. Anyway, I don't know how we can get better losing a workhorse like Bouw. I definitely hope there is a way though.

-ghoste
Bouw is a goner, I just hope he picks up his play so that we can get a better price for him.

Old
11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I agree with everything here. Stewie may not ever live up to his draft spot, but he's definitely the type of grinder we need. I'm hoping he will be able to stick around for a few years at least. And he'll be cheap so that'll work in our favor as well.

I have to say again that we did a nice job to snatch a point. This comeback reminds me of our late, two-goal meltdown against Edmonton last year. And to do this against New Jersey, even without Brodeur, says a little something.

And too bad we couldn't do more with that power play in overtime. Trying to set-up Cabber is nice, but don't focus the whole power play towards it. I would have welcomed more down low, slot work too.

-ghoste
Ive always been a big supporter of Jay, as most know, and I was positive he would come out and play like a beast this season because of his contract status. And he hasnt done so AT ALL! He has been at best, our second best Dman on most nights. Just because he logs the minutes doesnt make him godly. What has he done to deserve the $7+ million he was offered by Martin before the season starts? Nothing. Ballard at his $4+ million is MUCH more valuable to us than Bouwmeester at $7 million. While I still think he is going to get $7-8 million per on the market, he isnt worth it here, at this moment. I think it would say a lot about the team and how they view Bouw if they came to him January 1st and offered him more than $7 million.

Old
11-27-2008, 11:56 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
I wasn't surprised to see Bouw getting ripped after having a solid game. When he chose not to sign a long term contract, a lot of folks turned on him. I thought he was good, and could pretty much see it click after a few messed up breakout attempts during the 2nd, when he just carried the puck down ice. From that point on he seemed like he took it apon himself to make this team better last night.
Lindsay had a pretty good suggestion regarding Bouw...let him loose anytime he wants. His skating is good enough to get him back into defensive position. He should know that anytime he has the puck, do what you want, just attack. The thing is, he just doesnt have that killer instinct. Potvin made a comment about Weight last night, about who he thought was a player that surprised him, and he said Parise. He gives it his all every night, and he wants to be great. Thats what has to be in the minds of these players, they have to want to be great.

Old
11-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Lindsay had a pretty good suggestion regarding Bouw...let him loose anytime he wants. His skating is good enough to get him back into defensive position. He should know that anytime he has the puck, do what you want, just attack. The thing is, he just doesnt have that killer instinct. Potvin made a comment about Weight last night, about who he thought was a player that surprised him, and he said Parise. He gives it his all every night, and he wants to be great. Thats what has to be in the minds of these players, they have to want to be great.
Yep, agreed. Bouw doesn't have the will in him to be the best. He is content with being good and responsible. I feel like he joins the rush because he is expected to do so. Not because he sees the opportunity.

Old
11-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Montsy14

My main problem with Bouw is the amount of PP time he gets. McCabe needs a guy up there to feed him that soft pass in the right spot, much like Kaberle did. Bouw can't do it, he's had so many opportunities and has failed considerably. He was awful on the PP in OT and has been awful on the PP all year. He is way too impatient with the puck and it results in stupid shots from ridiculous areas and ultimately a face-off or a clearance. I realize nobody else has been much better, but his offensive instincts are seriously lacking right now. I think it has to do with the situation right now. Trade him and be over with it, I don't want to lose him for nothing.

Old
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Looks like Horton will be out a little bit. Hopefully we'll call-up Matthias. I'd rather see him up here.

-ghoste

Old
11-27-2008, 07:22 PM
zeroG

Quote:
this is precisely what i was talking about in the thread from monday's game. i think this is more apropos of horton, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Yep, agreed. Bouw doesn't have the will in him to be the best. He is content with being good and responsible. I feel like he joins the rush because he is expected to do so. Not because he sees the opportunity.
i don't agree. first off, you have to consider everything in context - what is the best on a team at the bottom of the standings where everything is fluid and you never know if someone's got your back? that the nature of the situation right now unfortunately. i don't really think it's fair to make that judgment, especially because he's been such a workhorse the past few years, regardless of offensive output. timmy's another story...

Old
11-28-2008, 12:11 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Where'd I talk about an injury excuse? Or say you werent a diehard fan...?

I don't understand people saying they're ever upset with a point and I was saying that I was proud of these guys for overcoming all those things and stoming back in the waning minutes (which almost never happens) to get at least a point. They were rewarded for a point.

What were you talking about?

You were stating what you were and what your thoughts were...I thought a few of them were off-based or excuses that have been recycled for years upon years.

Old
11-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
You were stating what you were and what your thoughts were...I thought a few of them were off-based or excuses that have been recycled for years upon years.
lol, well I wasn't saying you weren't a diehard fan, I didn't have you in mind at all. Not sure why the invite was needed, seemed a bit off. I also didn't use the injuries as an excuse at all, but I stated who wasn't out there when the game was tied up and what they overcame...as an applaud, which is far from an excuse. So again, lol, what were you talkin about?

11-28-2008, 01:05 AM
Tuco

Quote:
this is precisely what i was talking about in the thread from monday's game. i think this is more apropos of horton, though.

i don't agree. first off, you have to consider everything in context - what is the best on a team at the bottom of the standings where everything is fluid and you never know if someone's got your back? that the nature of the situation right now unfortunately. i don't really think it's fair to make that judgment, especially because he's been such a workhorse the past few years, regardless of offensive output. timmy's another story...
I strongly think that in Bouw's case the reason for his seeming underachievement is inside his head, and I have doubts it will ever go away. I do not agree with the reasoning on these boards where "Bouw is such a workhorse" or "Bouw plays 30 mins a night against the opposition's best players" makes him a top-5 d-man in the league or east. It doesn't. It proves that our D has been so dismal for years that the coaches have been forced to play Bouw so much. Not that he necessarily has been so great. There was a glimmer of hope in the end of 2006 season where Bouw played great, pinching in at the right times etc.. Other than that, he has always left me wanting more. And it's not just about his offensive production. He is not the best shutdown d-man either. Look at his play, how many times does he get beat down low by much smaller guys? He is too slow in battles in corners. He is often a fraction late. And he makes dumb decisions with the puck. Yeah, he is a great skater AFTER he has gotten himself going. Now, I am not saying Bouw isn't a very good D-man, but just trying to explain why I don't think he is as good as some of you think.

Horton's mental issues are of a different kind, he is just too happy with himself and how his life is as a young guy, but I don't regard his talent level as high as Bouw's so my expectations of him are not that high either.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:39 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

I just want this whole Bouwmeester situation to go away already. I think we are all getting quite tired of it now. Either sign or trade him, just get it done soon.

Going to work on the GDT thread now...gulp!

Old
11-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Tuco

Quote:
I just want this whole Bouwmeester situation to go away already. I think we are all getting quite tired of it now. Either sign or trade him, just get it done soon.

Going to work on the GDT thread now...gulp!
Agreed. That was my last "analysis" of him.

Old
11-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Acadmus

Sorry, forgot to lock this one when the new one went up.