HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Just wondering, at what point is Carbo's job in danger?

Old
11-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Vigneault
Therrien
Julien

The prob is clearly the guy behind the bench!

Believe me, Kovalev is gone way before Carbo..
Vigneault was good, but he's not the right coach for this team, and without Luongo to save his ass, he's average.

Therrien is hated just as much as Carbo in Pittsburgh. He'll probably end up like Bob Hartley if it keeps going.

Julien was born to coach the Bruins. They perfectly fit his coaching, and they are more talented than one could think. Just a reminding, he was fired right before the playoffs by Lou, that should tell you something.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Carbo won't be fired and he shouldn't be.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Cyrrus147

Sadly, not until Gainey is gone.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Sadly, not until Gainey is gone.
Where exactly was it written that Gainey will never fire Carbo? This whole "accepted logic" that seems to be around here completely baffles me.

To be clear, I am not pro firing Carbo, but I just needed to ask.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

What's Carbo's identity? He's surely not a player's coach, I mean to be one you need to actually talk to your players....Is he a technician? Well not really, he knows how to play the game as a player but does he know how to teach?

Strange that we're looking for an identity to the team when the coach doesn't have one either...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:21 PM
DJFP
Registered DJ

OMG FIRE CARBO NOW!

seriously this is as embarrassing as losing a fight to paul kariya

DJFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Where exactly was it written that Gainey will never fire Carbo? This whole "accepted logic" that seems to be around here completely baffles me.

To be clear, I am not pro firing Carbo, but I just needed to ask.
Because it look like Gainey and Carbo are like brothers.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Because it look like Gainey and Carbo are like brothers.
Once again... based on what exactly?

I see nothing to indicate anything beyond a regular GM/coach relationship.

Gainey defends Carbo? Clearly, he's his coach. They always do until they toss them under the bus.

Old
11-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What's Carbo's identity? He's surely not a player's coach, I mean to be one you need to actually talk to your players....Is he a technician? Well not really, he knows how to play the game as a player but does he know how to teach?

Strange that we're looking for an identity to the team when the coach doesn't have one either...
Interesting point. He looks like a coach who's trying to implement a style that isn't his to his team.

Old
11-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Ross MacLochness

It really just boggles my mind that we would throw 5 consecutive rookies into the fire that is head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, the most difficult job in the league. Is it any wonder Tremblay, Vigneault, Julien and Therrien all started to crumble in their 2 or 3rd year as Habs coach? And Carbo had never even been head coach of a girls softball team let alone an NHL hockey club.

It's not that those guys are terrible coaches. You can see Vigneault, Julien etc learned a lot from their time in Montreal. But why must this job always go to a guy with no experience? And in Carbo's case, no experience as a hockey head coach anywhere, ever.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
It really just boggles my mind that we would throw 5 consecutive rookies into the fire that is head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, the most difficult job in the league. Is it any wonder Tremblay, Vigneault, Julien and Therrien all started to crumble in their 2 or 3rd year as Habs coach? And Carbo had never even been head coach of a girls softball team let alone an NHL hockey club.

It's not that those guys are terrible coaches. You can see Vigneault, Julien etc learned a lot from their time in Montreal. But why must this job always go to a guy with no experience? And in Carbo's case, no experience as a hockey head coach anywhere, ever.
Find a good coach that speaks both french and english and who is available. Hartley is not a good coach.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Find a good coach that speaks both french and english and who is available. Hartley is not a good coach.
How about find the best coaches?

1) Best coach available regardless of language.

2) Best language coach around.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
How about find the best coaches?

1) Best coach available regardless of language.

2) Best language coach around.
Can't happen in Montreal, sorry.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Lucius

Quote:
*shrug* Anything CAN happen.

I think Gainey has the capital to do it if he wanted to, but I doubt he wants to.

Honestly, hiring and English coach right now might actually get the media off the team's back for a couple months, haha.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
*shrug* Anything CAN happen.

I think Gainey has the capital to do it if he wanted to, but I doubt he wants to.

Honestly, hiring and English coach right now might actually get the media off the team's back for a couple months, haha.
Nope.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Megaforce

I didn't watch the game but heard bits of it on the radio.

When the Capz were up 3-0 Carbo put Begin, Dandenault and Brisebois on the powerplay. Need I say more?

After that it seemed that Lapierre and Latendresse were getting every second shift. Now, I like French people, French players, it's just that these ones are not fit for the NHL. They're beer league players. I find it ridiculous that he didn't even have the balls to dress the only rookie we've had all season.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Well that's comforting.

I hope when Carbonneau goes we hire another rookie. Let's at least go for the record.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I didn't watch the game but heard bits of it on the radio.

When the Capz were up 3-0 Carbo put Begin, Dandenault and Brisebois on the powerplay. Need I say more?

After that it seemed that Lapierre and Latendresse were getting every second shift. Now, I like French people, French players, it's just that these ones are not fit for the NHL. They're beer league players. I find it ridiculous that he didn't even have the balls to dress the only rookie we've had all season.
While I didn't think they should have gone to the scrubs on that PP, that was not Carbo playing French players. That was Carbo benching Kovalev and Plekanec to send a message.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:39 PM
BigTimer*

Gainey is a complete pushover... he won't fire Carbo unless the team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. Even then, I'm not sure it would happen.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Gainey will go into hibernation. He'll start to stir in the spring and become fully awake just as the Habs are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Carbonneau will tell Gainey his version of what happened to the team and Gainey will believe him...sort of. Then Gainey will try to sign some of his impending UFAs in May 2009 (emphasizing Dandenault, Bouillon, and Bégin) and extend Carbonneau's contract for an additional year. And so it goes.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:43 PM
kovalost27

Yeah definitely, lets trade Carbonneau. He's the Montreal Canadien with the fewest points. He has gotten 0 pts in the last two seasons, therefore his job as a coach is not good.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:03 AM
HabsOfSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
you clearly didn't read the original post.

I just wanted a discussion about how long this would have to go on before his job is in danger.

I never said "oMGZZ FiRE caRBOS!!!!!!1111one"
Sorry, I wasn't reffering to your first post, it's just that it looked like the thread was heading that way.

To answer your question, I just can't see Gainey firing Carbo this season not matter how bad we play... Anyway we can't be THAT bad right? Better be slumping now, fix things and peak at the end of the season!

HabsOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:11 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Vigneault was good, but he's not the right coach for this team, and without Luongo to save his ass, he's average.

Therrien is hated just as much as Carbo in Pittsburgh. He'll probably end up like Bob Hartley if it keeps going.

Julien was born to coach the Bruins. They perfectly fit his coaching, and they are more talented than one could think. Just a reminding, he was fired right before the playoffs by Lou, that should tell you something.
Vigneault has done an incredible job again this year with a team that wasnt expected to make the playoffs, you are dump if you think Vigneault has little to do with the way the Nucks are playing since the begin of the season, they are playing extremmely tight and well structured hockey..

Therrien has nothing on the wings this year and has lost his 2 best D-Men for a long stretch.. Satan and Sykora arent the players they were 5 years ago, they are lucky to play with Malkin and Crosby..

Julien fired just before the playoffs by Lou?? Are you kidding me?? NJ did not even pass the first round lol

You have to be incredibly dump to not realize the AMAZING job Julien has done so far for this team, Julien is one of the best teacher in this league, he tooks a team that was going nowhere, that was struggling big time to make it one of the best in the league, one of the toughest to play against in the league, its not only the players they drafted or got, its an amazing developmental job Julien has done to make the Bruins a team with some credibility again.. He is a hard worker guy and a brillant teacher..

Carbo is going through the same ****in garbage those excellent coachs had to pass through, he has the hands lied, cant do want he want here in MTL, just imagine the noise it would have made if Carbo had sit someone like Kessel last year in the playoffs? It would have been a suicidal move to do, Julien had the bullets to do it cause he is working in a sane market.. Ask Coco Lemaire about MTL for fun? Uncoachable...

What is so frustrating this time, its the fact that we finally have a good team in place, there is no reason why those guys arent performing, while some were doubting Kovy could repeat what he did last year, its even worst than what we could have imagined, the guy is seriously dragging this team down again just like he did 2 years ago, some are to blind to see the obvious, other too affraid to admit it, he is such a selfish player its unbelievable.. I remember when he denied what was reported from the russian paper, watching the camera with his legendary calm, lying to everyone even to his teammates.. What he finally admitted 1 year ago.. Everyone forgot quickly cause Kovy came back with something to prove (after being ignored by team Russia and blamed for the poor season we had), he played with fire all the season long and was now the new hero.. Why isnt he playing with the same fire this season? Why some are saying Kovy is a great mentor for our young Russians when the only time they shone was last year, strangely at the same time as Kovy was playing this game with some passion... What happened with Perezhogin? I mean, if Kovy was such a great mentor, why didnt he say to Perez to take his time, that he would eventually make as much if not more money than in the KHL if he kept improving to reach his full potential? I wasnt there, I cant say at what point Kovy influenced his decision but what I know is what has been reported in the paper during the summer, something that dont lie to me..

We are at the point where Carbo has to confront Kovalev, not just sending him some useless message, first he has to have a good meeting eye to eye with him, if it doesnt work, he has to sit him on the bench, sit him on the pressbox, do something controversy that will make an impact on the way this team play, it can go both side, if it goes on the wrong side, if that guy doesnt understand the message and continue to have a negative impact on the team, then Gainey will have to make his job and move him, send him to the minors if no one want him at the limit but enough is enough, we have been classy enough with this guy.. At some point you wanna win and its not with a uninspired negative vet that you will..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gainey will NOT fire Carbo. He'll step down before he'll do it.
He will have no choice to fire him if the team lose the next 20 games in a row. Or else, it's Gainey that will take the door !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Vigneault
Therrien
Julien

The prob is clearly the guy behind the bench!

Believe me, Kovalev is gone way before Carbo..
4 rookie coaches....

Edit: Although Julien was a very competent coach, a little bit too hard on the kids, but very good overall.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote