HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TRADE: Flyers trade Downie, Eminger & a 4th for Matt Carle & 3rd Round Pick

Old
11-29-2008, 09:34 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Today, were a better team for the trade. As we will probably next year as well.

Carle has played better for us than Eminger did, and we weren't using Downie.
Succinctly put, Sir.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 09:39 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Sbisa is always going to get more flack for his mistakes. He's a big part of our future, Alberts isn't.
I think history indicates the reverse - Sbisa, because he is a future cog, will get more slack than some fella who is here to be here for a couple years.

Last year Coburn made mistakes that would have been greeted by 30 posts in a Modry or Vandermeer thread, but people here were silent.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I think history indicates the reverse - Sbisa, because he is a future cog, will get more slack than some fella who is here to be here for a couple years.

Last year Coburn made mistakes that would have been greeted by 30 posts in a Modry or Vandermeer thread, but people here were silent.
There's good reason for that and it's not about favouritism. Coburn is young, Sbisa is young, Carle is young, you expect them to make mistakes. I see their mistakes pointed out just as much as anyone, but it's easily forgiven because of their age.

Modry and Vandermeer were what they were - pretty crappy defensemen for this hockey team. There was no hope of them getting better.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:20 AM
Totally Radivojevic

just watched downie's first fight with tampa, and it looks like he's no longer playing with a visor.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
just watched downie's first fight with tampa, and it looks like he's no longer playing with a visor.
So much for the theory that he's a wuss (to put it mildly) that went around these boards whenever he fought with a shield on. Stevens made him wear it.

Old
11-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Carterfor60

We need to keep in mind that Carle isn't a finished product. He's in his 3rd Season. He's still developing as a player. He has a high level of skill, talent, and hockey sense. And is an immense upgrade over Eminger. He still needs to be polished. And hopefully that will happen. he has already made a huge improvement on the Flyers puck moving and puck possession game. That's what the NHL is all about these days. He holds his own defensively. We shouldn't be expecting him to be perfect or mistake free.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Downie played 7:39 last game, an improvement but not enough time for him to develop.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
So much for the theory that he's a wuss (to put it mildly) that went around these boards whenever he fought with a shield on. Stevens made him wear it.
????

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Downie played 7:39 last game, an improvement but not enough time for him to develop.
I think he only played 6:05 in his first game so it's an improvement and still more than he got in Philly.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
DuklaNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
We need to keep in mind that Carle isn't a finished product. He's in his 3rd Season. He's still developing as a player. He has a high level of skill, talent, and hockey sense. And is an immense upgrade over Eminger. He still needs to be polished. And hopefully that will happen. he has already made a huge improvement on the Flyers puck moving and puck possession game. That's what the NHL is all about these days. He holds his own defensively. We shouldn't be expecting him to be perfect or mistake free.
Carle will be more effective at even strength( kind of like Jay-Bo). I think rushing the puck and stretch passes out of his zone are his plus assets. D-men on average take about 2 yrs more to develop IMO. Goalies, usually the longest.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:12 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Carle will be more effective at even strength( kind of like Jay-Bo). I think rushing the puck and stretch passes out of his zone are his plus assets. D-men on average take about 2 yrs more to develop IMO. Goalies, usually the longest.
In the long run I agree that Carle is most likely an upgrade to Eminger and am fine with the trade (not fine with how Downie was handled however).

I havent watched any Tampa games, but I think it is worth pointing out that Eminger has 8 points in 11 games with them so far and is an even +/-, it appears on paper at least that he is playing very well for them and is getting an average of 19 minutes a night. I dont think he was given much of a chance to do anything here.

For the moment at least, it appears he is playing better for them than Carle is for us, at least offensively.

My only issue is I question whether this coaching staff has the ability to give him that polish he needs.....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
bennysflyers16

What are the chances Downie does something dumb tomorrow ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Slim to none. He's not as dumb as people think.

Old
12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
We might find out who he didn't like on the team, which should be interesting

I doubt he'll do anything drastic

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Downie doesn't do dumb things. He does crazy things. Sort of a difference there. Whether or not anything happens has a lot to do with how the Flyers treat him.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:34 PM
kicksave27

Downie might tangle with asham or metro, since those lines will be matched up more often then not. He's probably happy they traded him out of the stevens dog house, I doubt he does anything crazy. Maybe fire a puck "accidentally" at stevens. Toc might be the only guy who knows how to handle steve and focus all that anger effectively. Much like toc did in philly. It's probably the best thing to happen to him, he's out of the hockey limelight in florida and in the southeast div. You really only need one pest per team, and upshall fills that roll nicely here.

carle might not have the points that eminger has, but he blocks alot of shots, and makes alot of crafty plays in his own end to get out of trouble. Actually the flyers don't really have a ton of points out of their dmen as they have in years past.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote