HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

D'agostini in, O'Byrne out

Old
11-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
not his fault we lost the games
fans should go and boo the veterans not the rookie
Hey I don't control how the fans are going to react. But if past games are any indication. O'Byrne would be booed all game long, so why put the kid through that tonight?

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
not his fault we lost the games
fans should go and boo the veterans not the rookie
It's going to happen very soon...

The town's getting restless. You can almost feel it. Nowhere near as bad as a message board, but they're getting antsy.

I imagine if they lose tonight they'll be shown off with a serenade of boos.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:49 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Bégin with Kovy and Pleks
that was brutal last night.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akost View Post

As for O'Byrne....well deserved, he's cost us a goal in each of the last 3-4 games he played, it was about time some kind of punishment happened. If Carbs was a patient with A.Kost or Lats, I guarantee they would have a couple more points.

Point is, Carbo needs to understand that even after bad games, changing your lines by spreading your 4th liners all over the line-up isn't the best of ideas. Maybe a little stability, even if we're not playing well, would greatly help this team.
I don't think it's well deserved for O'Byrne. I might be the only one, but I see a player slowly getting better.
He's not icing the puck on every shift like he used to earlier this year. He's not just lobbing the puck out of the zone. I see he's become a lot more patient with the puck, and takes time to try to set up a pass out the zone. I saw him throw his weight around a bit better.

That being said, yes he does make mistakes, only normal for a guy with as little experience.
But look at yesterday, he played against Ovechkin all night long. Is it his fault?..or the coaches fault??..I know Boudreau has the last change, but that's not an excuse, seeing as a good coach will find a way to get his right players on, somehow.
O'Byrne played 22min all together yesterday....20min on ES..that's more than Gorges and Markov!..Do you realize how bad a coach must be to place his most fragile Dman in this spot and give him as much ice time??..

Ryan played against arguably the most difficult player in the NHL to defend. Ovechkin can deke, shoot, skate, stickhandle, can pass, destroy anybody on a hit..
I felt he did a pretty darn decent job. Ovy's goal was a communication mistake between Lappy/Hamr, so it wasn't O'By's fault.

Nonetheless, you have to live with the mistake of a youngster. Especially a Dman. You also have to know how to manage them, and Carbo is proving he has less management skills than an Ant.

O'Byrne playing all night vs Ovy and playing 22MIN, 20ES Min, is bad.
You repay the kid who just had the hardest task so far in his career by scratching him.
Great Job Carbo

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
JURCINA, MILA
MORRISONN, SHAONE
ALZNER, KARL
LEPISTO, SAMI
HELMER, BRYAN
SLOAN, TYLER
Alzner and Lepisto are 2 very good prospects.

Morrisonn is also underrated imo.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:55 AM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Ugh...

I'm really not looking forward to this game tonight.

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What do you expect me to do? Praise this? It's a monstrosity. There are far more logical ways to deal with what's going on in Habsland right now. So far, Carbonneau has done all the wrong things. Maybe soon he'll run out of incorrect things to do and will be forced to do the right things. Unfortunately, I don't wanna wait until we're out of the play-off picture for that to happen.

How's he going to send a message now, bro? He's got them all starting with useless pluggers. He'll end up putting them on good lines again when the going gets tough and yet no more production occurs? Again, the message is convulated and it makes no sense. You're no longer demoting them, you're in a way promoting themif they play bad. But if they win, then the lines remain the same and how does the message get through?
1. Put A.Kost on RW like you've been whining about all year. Check
2. Brought up D'agostini and gave him a shot like a lot of posters have wanted. Check
3. Put the Kost Bros together on the same line. Check
4. Sitting O'Byrne after his below average play. Check
5. Separated A.Kost from Kovalev. Check
6. Separated Pleks from Kovalev. Check
7. Putting Lang on a line with Kovalev. Check

How is this not sending a message to the team bro? By distributing the 4th liners through out the line up. You're showing the stars that they are not working hard enough.

I don't think these lines are set in stone. But are more to send a message to some players that if you work hard, you get rewarded.

Old
11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Rest of the lines per Martin McGuire:

Higgins - Koivu - D'Agostini
Bégin - Plekanec - Kovalev
S.Kostitsyn - Lapierre - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lang - Kostopoulos
LOL
We have the 4th liners on 3 lines.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Hope it works but to see Lapierre, who handles the puck like it's a hand grenade, with the Kostitisyns has all the appearances of a desperate move by a desperate coach
Sadly, Lapierre has been one of best forward in the last 3 games.
This is as bad as we are currently.

Old
11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
By distributing the 4th liners through out the line up. You're showing the stars that they are not working hard enough.
Maybe, but by distributing the fourth liners throughout the lineup we also ensure that one of our worst players is on the ice at all times. Not exactly a good solution to boosting the team's pathetic offense...

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think it's well deserved for O'Byrne. I might be the only one, but I see a player slowly getting better.
He's not icing the puck on every shift like he used to earlier this year. He's not just lobbing the puck out of the zone. I see he's become a lot more patient with the puck, and takes time to try to set up a pass out the zone. I saw him throw his weight around a bit better.

That being said, yes he does make mistakes, only normal for a guy with as little experience.
But look at yesterday, he played against Ovechkin all night long. Is it his fault?..or the coaches fault??..I know Boudreau has the last change, but that's not an excuse, seeing as a good coach will find a way to get his right players on, somehow.
O'Byrne played 22min all together yesterday....20min on ES..that's more than Gorges and Markov!..Do you realize how bad a coach must be to place his most fragile Dman in this spot and give him as much ice time??..

Ryan played against arguably the most difficult player in the NHL to defend. Ovechkin can deke, shoot, skate, stickhandle, can pass, destroy anybody on a hit..
I felt he did a pretty darn decent job. Ovy's goal was a communication mistake between Lappy/Hamr, so it wasn't O'By's fault.

Nonetheless, you have to live with the mistake of a youngster. Especially a Dman. You also have to know how to manage them, and Carbo is proving he has less management skills than an Ant.

You repay the kid who just had the hardest task so far in his career by scratching him.
Great Job Carbo
Simple answer Kriss, if this game was on the road. I would bet that O'Byrne would be playing. Since it's at home, he's giving the kid a break, I don't think this is a punishment.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Maybe, but by distributing the fourth liners throughout the lineup we also ensure that one of our worst players is on the ice at all times. Not exactly a good solution to boosting the team's pathetic offense...
Sadly, they haven't been playing like our worst players for the last few games.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:

Great Job Carbo
It's nice to know I'm not the only one disappointed in Carbo's performance last night:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=16559311&postcount=4

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Alzner and Lepisto are 2 very good prospects.

Morrisonn is also underrated imo.
But to say our defense is worse than that is silly in my opinion. They may work harder, but our defense is definitely is better than theirs. Had we forchecked, we could have easily exploited that.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
It's nice to know I'm not the only one disappointed in Carbo's performance last night:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=16559311&postcount=4
No you're not the only one PB. But this is a team game, with the coach and his staff being a part of the team. I wasn't happy with some of Carbo's decisions, but I wasn't happy with the play of the majority of our players either.

Old
Habs8517

Quote:

Great Job Carbo
i agree but carbo is too arrogant and stubborn to admit he makes mistakes so he bash is players in the media
great way for him to avoid any negative press about him

Habs8517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Simple answer Kriss, if this game was on the road. I would bet that O'Byrne would be playing. Since it's at home, he's giving the kid a break, I don't think this is a punishment.
Yeah, I think Carbo is protecting him. We're going to need him, no need for him to be potentially broken by the fans.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:08 PM
zx81

I will say it again...Lats should play with Koivu.
Sheesh this is a proven combination.
Even when they don't produce we win when they are reunited.

Lats with Koivu and Dags would have been a great line IMO

Old
11-29-2008, 12:10 PM
shealy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
The Bulldogs beat the Hershey 5-0 when they played them... that was almost the same team that Habs lost to 3-0???? Time for the brass to send some players to the press box and recall Chip- PAc -send SK to hamilton and latenerness and lappy to the press boax. Shake this team up.
Well, the same team PLUS the best player in the world and a few nobodies like Nik Backstrom & Co.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:10 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Bégin with Kovy and Pleks
Well, unfortunately for us he actually is scoring goals at the same pace as A.Kost this year

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:11 PM
shealy04

Quote:

Great Job Carbo

I couldn't agree more with this entire post even if I tried.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I don't think so to be honest but I hope you're right.
We're playing the next 7 games and 10 out of our next 11, at home.
So he's gonna have to play him.

I don't know how he communicated it with O'Byrne, whether he talked to him and said it's just a break or not, I don't know. Sure hope so.

But that doesn't change the fact he completely misused O'Byrne yesterday and his line management make me want to puke.
I understand you know him, but seriously..like..come on...

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Sadly, they haven't been playing like our worst players for the last few games.
I definitely agree with that, but it doesn't change the fact that Begin, Kostopoulos, Lapierre, etc. are simply not going to score very often, even when they're playing their absolute best.

I'd much rather see Carbo try some new line combinations that actually have a chance of being kept together long-term. Even if we miraculously win a few games with these lines, so what? They'll be broken up as soon as we lose a game or two because there's absolutely no way to justify giving our fourth liners as much or more ice time than the guys on this team who actually have some offensive talent.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Kovalev will end the game at -4

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
I will say it again...Lats should play with Koivu.
Sheesh this is a proven combination.
Even when they don't produce we win when they are reunited.

Lats with Koivu and Dags would have been a great line IMO
True, but you know when Tanguay comes back he's going to be put back on a line with Koivu/Higgins. So why put Lats up there for one or two games while Tanguay is out. Only to move him off of that line again?

Plus it gives Carbo a good look at how well D'agostini is playing by giving him 1st line minutes. Instead of sticking him on the 4th line.