HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kalinin's Play

Old
11-23-2008, 06:46 PM
asparkoflife

vCash: 500
He's been solid. Had a few bonehead plays earlier this season. Really picked it up though.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Kalinen without Roszival...OK

Kalinen paired with Roszival...not so good.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
+/- is the most deceptive stat in all of sports.
I don't really understand this. If your team gets scored on at even strength when u are on the ice u get a -. If ur team scores while ur on the ice u get a +. I mean c'mon I think SOG which everyone loves to throw around that Gomez leads the team in is a more useless stat. I mean I can sit on the side boards and throw weak ass shots at the goalie all night as well and look like I had a great game with 7 shots on goal.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:22 PM
TomLaidlaw

Did everyone on the board drop acid and not tell me about it? Kalinin has been good for us? Really? I must have missed that memo. You don't notice him most nights? Really? I notice him every single night when he lets someone blow by him to the outside 1-2 times a game and Henrik is forced to save his bacon. Rozy and Kalinin have both been brutal for us this year and Rozy makes more money than Kalinin so he gets the brunt of the abuse.

To the Buffalo fan who started this thread. Here is a real simple summary of our defense this season......

We have three guys making a combined 14 mill playing like bottom pairing defensemen. (Redden, Rozy, Kalinin)

We have three guys making a combined 4 mill playing like top pairing defensemen. (Girardi, Mara, Staal)

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Did everyone on the board drop acid and not tell me about it? Kalinin has been good for us? Really? I must have missed that memo. You don't notice him most nights? Really? I notice him every single night when he lets someone blow by him to the outside 1-2 times a game and Henrik is forced to save his bacon. Rozy and Kalinin have both been brutal for us this year and Rozy makes more money than Kalinin so he gets the brunt of the abuse.

To the Buffalo fan who started this thread. Here is a real simple summary of our defense this season......

We have three guys making a combined 14 mill playing like bottom pairing defensemen. (Redden, Rozy, Kalinin)

We have three guys making a combined 4 mill playing like top pairing defensemen. (Girardi, Mara, Staal)
I'd have to agree with this.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:45 PM
hackactor13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I don't really understand this. If your team gets scored on at even strength when u are on the ice u get a -. If ur team scores while ur on the ice u get a +. I mean c'mon I think SOG which everyone loves to throw around that Gomez leads the team in is a more useless stat. I mean I can sit on the side boards and throw weak ass shots at the goalie all night as well and look like I had a great game with 7 shots on goal.
You can get a plus just for getting off the bench at the right time or a minus just because you got stuck out there withe Roszival. That's pretty useless.

hackactor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

yeah but that implies that kalinin has a fat contract like those other 2 clowns do. he doesnt. given his minimal cap hit and his fairly competent play (-10 doesnt look that good but he does play with rozy now), id say you may want to include him with the guys in the 4 mil category.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:45 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackactor13 View Post
You can get a plus just for getting off the bench at the right time or a minus just because you got stuck out there withe Roszival. That's pretty useless.
With a defenseman, this is usually not the case. Forwards, sure.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah but that implies that kalinin has a fat contract like those other 2 clowns do. he doesnt. given his minimal cap hit and his fairly competent play (-10 doesnt look that good but he does play with rozy now), id say you may want to include him with the guys in the 4 mil category.
Minimal cap hit? 2.1 is not minimal. And the reason he's not in the category '4 mil' is because he's not playing like a top pair defenseman.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:41 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:

this is dead on...
kalinen at the start of the season was the second coming of malik taking bad penalties, kicking pucks into the net etc. Then came rosi and his ongoing pp woes and his fat pocketed defensive partner in awfulness, redden. Its pretty sad when the coach has to partner your 5 mil "defensive leader" with a 2nd yr player in order to give him confidence...its pathetic actually. as for redden, all i can say is i feel so so sorry for Girardi who spends the entire night chasing guys around while redden tickles his ballbag and maybe stickchecking somebody if hes not too far away-dont wanna break a sweat ya know...as you can tell im not impressed with Rosi but we we all knew what we were getting with him. I havent hated a player in a ranger uniform as much as redden since bobby holik, and thats saying alot...All things considered, I'd take 3 more kalinens at 2 mil than one redden at 6.5, they're all equally useless.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:25 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:

Wow, i'm not seeing that at all. Sure hes not the perfect dman, but he isnt playing bad either. Yea, he might let a guy go to his outside, but he doesnt give up, he continues to try to force the guy as wide as he can so what shot comes from it is usually an easy safe.

The crap we heard about him from Buffalo fans made it sound like we were getting Malik 2.0. He has played his role as a bottom pairing defenseman just fine. If your expecting anything more then you were overrating him from the start.

What is comes down to is this...if your bottom pairing defenseman aren't a liability on the ice, then you have a good bottom pair on your hands. And thats how i feel about him on most nights. I dont get worried when he's on the ice.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Wow, i'm not seeing that at all. Sure hes not the perfect dman, but he isnt playing bad either. Yea, he might let a guy go to his outside, but he doesnt give up, he continues to try to force the guy as wide as he can so what shot comes from it is usually an easy safe.

The crap we heard about him from Buffalo fans made it sound like we were getting Malik 2.0. He has played his role as a bottom pairing defenseman just fine. If your expecting anything more then you were overrating him from the start.

What is comes down to is this...if your bottom pairing defenseman aren't a liability on the ice, then you have a good bottom pair on your hands. And thats how i feel about him on most nights. I dont get worried when he's on the ice.
I completely agree. People have to understand that the context in which we're judging Kalinin is one in which every Sabres fan told us he was a "traffic cone" and that he would be getting jeered by the Garden crowd after about a week.

He's been decent. I don't get any more anxious about Kalinin on the ice than I do about Rozsival.

Last edited by Banks3rdLineCenter: 11-25-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling error
Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:12 PM
ThirdEye

I think the more accurate answer is that he's been average. Not bad and not terribly good either.

I think the teams poor defensive play lately has been the result of a lack of confidence on the part of the whole team, although some players are showing it more than others. I just hope they learn/snap out of it before it's too damn late

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
polako

Just a thought, but what would happen to if Sather traded for Lidstrom and cloned him 5 times? Who would be the whipping boy? Lidstrom v6?

What I'm trying to say, is that if we attempt to find flaws in anyone's game, we will. Kalinin, for what is expected of him and what he's being paid, has been a productive signing to this point.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Just a thought, but what would happen to if Sather traded for Lidstrom and cloned him 5 times? Who would be the whipping boy? Lidstrom v6?

What I'm trying to say, is that if we attempt to find flaws in anyone's game, we will. Kalinin, for what is expected of him and what he's being paid, has been a productive signing to this point.
Hahaha that question just completely warped my mind. Ranger fans would be so confused! Of course we would probably win every game so I guess we wouldn't be that confused...

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:36 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
People have to understand that the context in which we're judging Kalinin is one in which every Sabres fan told us he was a "traffic cone" and that he would be getting jeered by the Garden crowd after about a week.
So we should commend him for being bad because we expected him to be awful? The one thing I do agree with everyone on in regards to Kalinin is that +/- isn't a useful tool in trying to describe his play. The only reason he is a -10 is because of Henrik. He really should be a -15 or -18 with the way he has played.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Alcapwn89

No complaints sofar...he does have a tendency for some bad give-aways, but then again so does the rest of the rangers defense, so he fits right in.

Alcapwn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

LOL good stuff man.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 01:02 AM
All Hail King Henrik

Quote:
Just a thought, but what would happen to if Sather traded for Lidstrom and cloned him 5 times?
Henke would have about 14 shutouts right now as opposed to 0. If we had just ONE Lidstrom and no Redden or Rozsival, Henke would have about 4 shutouts.

Oh, Kalinin. I had very low expectations of him going into the season, so he really hasn't disappointed much. He was pretty terrible the first 5 games, but after that I think he's played as advertised: a bottom-pairing defensman with some offensive upside and the requisite defensive struggles that usually come with such a player. He gets caught pinching every now and then, and has some defensive gaffes, but overall as a bottom pairing d-man, he has played OK. When considered as anything more than a bottom pairing d-man, he's probably played not so well, especially when paired with Rozi.

All Hail King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Hail King Henrik View Post
Henke would have about 14 shutouts right now as opposed to 0. If we had just ONE Lidstrom and no Redden or Rozsival, Henke would have about 4 shutouts.

Oh, Kalinin. I had very low expectations of him going into the season, so he really hasn't disappointed much. He was pretty terrible the first 5 games, but after that I think he's played as advertised: a bottom-pairing defensman with some offensive upside and the requisite defensive struggles that usually come with such a player. He gets caught pinching every now and then, and has some defensive gaffes, but overall as a bottom pairing d-man, he has played OK. When considered as anything more than a bottom pairing d-man, he's probably played not so well, especially when paired with Rozi.
I don't mind him BUT he makes 2.1 million...............I would be good with Potter in that spot instead............

so I think he gets moved..........he is a UFA next yr which would entice other teams to take a chance on him............Backman got traded did he not so don;t say Kalinin can't be

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I don't mind him BUT he makes 2.1 million...............I would be good with Potter in that spot instead............

so I think he gets moved..........he is a UFA next yr which would entice other teams to take a chance on him............Backman got traded did he not so don;t say Kalinin can't be
Yeah but Backman got dealt in the summer and as a throw in

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Yeah but Backman got dealt in the summer and as a throw in
Rangers picked him up at the deadline...........

anyways I have no clue, team has a good record...........they are only going to make one move.........they are a scoring forward away from everyone being happy with the teams makeup

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote