HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

D'agostini in, O'Byrne out

Old
11-29-2008, 12:19 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Rest of the lines per Martin McGuire:

Higgins - Koivu - D'Agostini
Bégin - Plekanec - Kovalev
S.Kostitsyn - Lapierre - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lang - Kostopoulos
A. Kost on the RW! Probably a lie.. lol.

I like those lines though.. spreading out the 'supposed' offensive players.

Maybe the work ethic of Lappy, Begin, and Kosto will rub off on others.

My guess on D-pairings;

Markov - Gorges
Hammer - Breezer
Bouillon - Dandenault

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:21 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
True, but you know when Tanguay comes back he's going to be put back on a line with Koivu/Higgins. So why put Lats up there for one or two games while Tanguay is out. Only to move him off of that line again?

Plus it gives Carbo a good look at how well D'agostini is playing by giving him 1st line minutes. Instead of sticking him on the 4th line.
Lats should play with Koivu and Tanguay once Alex comes back.
This line was the best combination we had this year.

Higgins is the perfect 3rd liner we could get IMO.

Latendresse should never play on a 3rd line...especially with an even slower center like Lang.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Hope it never happens. (referring to Lats - Lang - Kovy)
When Latendresse has the most speed and best work ethic on the line.. something is not right..

Old
11-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think so to be honest but I hope you're right.
We're playing the next 7 games and 10 out of our next 11, at home.
So he's gonna have to play him.

I don't know how he communicated it with O'Byrne, whether he talked to him and said it's just a break or not, I don't know. Sure hope so.

But that doesn't change the fact he completely misused O'Byrne yesterday and his line management make me want to puke.
I understand you know him, but seriously..like..come on...
I was a little surprised at the amount of ice time O'Byrne received to tell you the truth. But after seeing O'Byrne receive that much time, and play decent. The only conclusion I could think of was that he's saving the kid some grief.

I know that we have a long stretch of home games, and eventually O'Byrne will have to face the music. I just think he's giving him a break. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks from my perspective.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Where is Dagenais when you need him?

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
True, but you know when Tanguay comes back he's going to be put back on a line with Koivu/Higgins. So why put Lats up there for one or two games while Tanguay is out. Only to move him off of that line again?

Plus it gives Carbo a good look at how well D'agostini is playing by giving him 1st line minutes. Instead of sticking him on the 4th line.
I'll tell you why...
Because we have to WIN!..

Who cares when Tanguay is going to come back, that couldn't be so far off the point.

We're a struggling team right now, we have to win. It's not like Lats/Lang/S.Kost was such a great trio that we couldn't take Lats out.

Let me ask you this..If we do put Lats, with Koivu/Higgy, and that line combines for 10Goals in 2 games. Are we going to be sad about Tanguay being out of that line??..

I mean, at this point, we're struggling to score. We have to put the odds in our favor. Also, with the way Carbs juggles his line, you can't sit there with a straight face and say Lats/Lang/S.Kost will be playing together for the rest of the season. Heck, They won't even play together tonight...So you can throw that theory right out the window :p

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Lats should play with Koivu and Tanguay once Alex comes back.
This line was the best combination we had this year.

Higgins is the perfect 3rd liner we could get IMO.

Latendresse should never play on a 3rd line...especially with an even slower center like Lang.
I agree, I liked what Lats brought to the Koivu/Tanguay line at the beginning of the season. I also feel that Lats works best while playing with Koivu.

The only thing I didn't like about Lat's play this year is his consistency. Even though we are not seeing the results, Higgins seems a little more consistent than Lats. Which is why IMO he's getting the opportunity to play with Koivu/Tanguay.

Old
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Dandy > O'Byrne

Enough said...
That might be the funniest post of the year

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Where is Dagenais when you need him?
Scoring goals in the KHL.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:29 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Danenault actually has been very good so far this season.. he was great against the Caps.

He looked calm during the pre-season when used as a defenseman as well.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Scoring goals in the KHL.
hahahaha! I had no idea. 6 goals and 1 assist in 20 games.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Danenault actually has been very good so far this season.. he was great against the Caps.

He looked calm during the pre-season when used as a defenseman as well.
He played forward against the Caps... and in the pre-season most teams only dress about 10 NHL players. I'm still not convinced

Old
11-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'll tell you why...
Because we have to WIN!..

Who cares when Tanguay is going to come back, that couldn't be so far off the point.

We're a struggling team right now, we have to win. It's not like Lats/Lang/S.Kost was such a great trio that we couldn't take Lats out.

Let me ask you this..If we do put Lats, with Koivu/Higgy, and that line combines for 10Goals in 2 games. Are we going to be sad about Tanguay being out of that line??..

I mean, at this point, we're struggling to score. We have to put the odds in our favor. Also, with the way Carbs juggles his line, you can't sit there with a straight face and say Lats/Lang/S.Kost will be playing together for the rest of the season. Heck, They won't even play together tonight...
Hmmm...10 goals in 2 games? No I would definitely not be in need of tissues if that happened. But I can ask you the same thing, will you be upset if D'agostini scores 3 goals tonight playing with Koivu/Higgins, while Lats is not on that line?

As for Carbo juggling lines, it's only been the last few games that he has. The only time he's switched lines around before this was because of injuries. Why do you think there are so many posts saying that the A.Kost/Pleks/Kovy line should be broken up?

I see where you're coming from Kriss and you bring a lot of amazing points that I do agree with. But as far as I'm concerned, if the Habs were going to bring up D'agostini. They might as well use him in a role he's used to playing.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:38 PM
MastaK

Quote:
I was a little surprised at the amount of ice time O'Byrne received to tell you the truth. But after seeing O'Byrne receive that much time, and play decent. The only conclusion I could think of was that he's saving the kid some grief.

I know that we have a long stretch of home games, and eventually O'Byrne will have to face the music. I just think he's giving him a break. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks from my perspective.
Well I think he'll play O'Byrne when the team starts winning again so the so called "fans" will not be all over him...

Also, if we make it to the Stanley Cup finals with Carbo as a coach, I hope all Carbo haters stop rooting for the Habs.

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:40 PM
zx81

Quote:
I agree, I liked what Lats brought to the Koivu/Tanguay line at the beginning of the season. I also feel that Lats works best while playing with Koivu.

The only thing I didn't like about Lat's play this year is his consistency. Even though we are not seeing the results, Higgins seems a little more consistent than Lats. Which is why IMO he's getting the opportunity to play with Koivu/Tanguay.
I wouldn't qualify Higgins as consistent though.
The guy can be totally invisible some nights.

And it's tough for Lats to be consistent when he's playing with different players every 3 games.

Anyway if he does not play with Koivu he should play with a fast center. I wouldn't even mind to see him with Lapierre on the 4th line.

In fact, any of our center except Lang.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaK View Post
Well I think he'll play O'Byrne when the team starts winning again so the so called "fans" will not be all over him...

Also, if we make it to the Stanley Cup finals with Carbo as a coach, I hope all Carbo haters stop rooting for the Habs.
Good point, there will be a lot less "hatred" towards O'Byrne the next game he plays if we win tonight.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Hmmm...10 goals in 2 games? No I would definitely not be in need of tissues if that happened. But I can ask you the same thing, will you be upset if D'agostini scores 3 goals tonight playing with Koivu/Higgins, while Lats is not on that line?

As for Carbo juggling lines, it's only been the last few games that he has. The only time he's switched lines around before this was because of injuries. Why do you think there are so many posts saying that the A.Kost/Pleks/Kovy line should be broken up?

I see where you're coming from Kriss and you bring a lot of amazing points that I do agree with. But as far as I'm concerned, if the Habs were going to bring up D'agostini. They might as well use him in a role he's used to playing.
I agree for D'Ago, I was more talking about yesterday when Kosto was on first. I'll be happy if the kid gets a hat-trick, 3assists, or has any type of impact. But that was my point, it tonight Higgy/Koivu/D'Ago combine for 3-4Goals and Tanguay is ready for next game, will you break up that line??..I don't think so, and that's what I was saying. We have to maximize our offense.
Putting Begin with Kovalev ain't helping that.
Putting Kosto on 1st yest wasn't good.
Lats should have been on first.
I was just throwing a little arrow to all the fools saying ''x player'' has to deserve it to be on first.

As for the line changes. Carbs started quickly to dismantle them. Lats was doing perfectly fine with Tang/Koivu early on, Higgins came back and 2games later was placed back there.

We've seen Kosto play on every single line, we've seen Kovalev with pretty much every player..Injuries or not, there's way too much instability within our lines. But yes, injuries doesn't help that's true.

But putting a 4th liner on every line, is just dumb.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
I wouldn't qualify Higgins as consistent though.
The guy can be totally invisible some nights.

And it's tough for Lats to be consistent when he's playing with different players every 3 games.

Anyway if he does not play with Koivu he should play with a fast center. I wouldn't even mind to see him with Lapierre on the 4th line.

In fact, any of our center except Lang.
Yeah that's why I said "a little more consistent", he is guilty of taking some nights off as well.

I agree, Lats and Lang don't seem to have much chemistry and their lack of speed scares the **** outta met. I actually wouldn't mind Lats playing again with Laps, as they seemed to have some chemistry in the limited amount of time they've played together.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:48 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
No, what's so funny is your blind love toward O'byrne even if each game he's costing his team a goal...

Even if Dandy is a very bad d-man, he never was as bad as O'Byrne is right now.

I guess everyone here would see that if O'Byrne's name was in fact O'Benoit...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Stradale

I am happy that Obyrne is out. Geez, i dont understand the SUDDEN love that everybody has for him after his own goal. He is, one of the 3 worst player, if not the worst, on the team for the last 10 games, miskate after mistake, but thats okay, poor guy, hes young blablabla.. when the guy cost us a goal almost every games. He always take poor decision, always late on a play, not using his body, is not good defensively but poor guy, hes young, hes our next Komisarek.

+/- In November

Gorges +7
A. Kostitsyn +3
Koivu +1
Higgins +1
Lang +1

Kovalev even
Plekanec even
S.Kostitsyn even
Markov even

Latendresse -1
Brisebois -1
Tanguay -2
Hamrlik-3
O'Byrne -6

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:51 PM
smon

Quote:
I agree for D'Ago, I was more talking about yesterday when Kosto was on first. I'll be happy if the kid gets a hat-trick, 3assists, or has any type of impact. But that was my point, it tonight Higgy/Koivu/D'Ago combine for 3-4Goals and Tanguay is ready for next game, will you break up that line??..I don't think so, and that's what I was saying. We have to maximize our offense.
I was just throwing a little arrow to all the fools saying ''x player'' has to deserve it to be on first.

As for the line changes. Carbs started quickly to dismantle them. Lats was doing perfectly fine with Tang/Koivu early on, Higgins came back and 2games later was placed back there.

We've seen Kosto play on every single line, we've seen Kovalev with pretty much every player..Injuries or not, there's way too much instability within our lines. But yes, injuries doesn't help that's true.

Can't really blame Carbonneau for trying something different though...the effort is just so abysmal and he's tried just about every other option. Nothing seems to work. I know Begin and Kovalev just seems ridiculous but they've tried Kovalev with just about every other combination of forwards - the original line, with Tanguay/Koivu, with Lang...so fourth liners it is now.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:54 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
hahahaha! I had no idea. 6 goals and 1 assist in 20 games.
Haha yeah, he was playing on the 3rd line in the one game I saw online.

I had no idea till I saw that game.. I'm just watching and I'm like.. ''HOLY ****, THAT'S DAGENAIS!"

I thought he was still playing in Austria, lol.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:55 PM
n0pan
waddup doe

Send a message via Skype™ to n0pan
Oh sweet baby jesus.
FINALLY.

n0pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:56 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Prez View Post
YESSSSS, OBYRNE FINALLY OUT!!!!

mark my words, we will win this game. He always causes at least one goal per game, and its usually the most important one!
It's nice to see that sitting O'Byrne will solve our problems. After all, he had cost us a goal against Washington we would have only lost 2-0 instead of 3-0.

And think of how much the PP will improve with O'Byrne out of there. Chances are that we will immediately go from 23rd in the NHL to regain our former dominance.

In fact the entire offense should pick up without that big lug out there. The team has scored only 15 goals in the past eight games and O'Byrne is obviously the problem.

On defense, the team has allowed 16 goals in the past 8 games. How can a team possibly be expected to win when they give up 2 goals a game.

And he makes mistakes at the most inopportune times. How can a fragile bunch of rookies like Kovalev, Higgins, Plekanec, Tanguay, Koivu, Markov, Hamrlik etc. expect to rebound when a veteran like O'Byrne can't hold up his end of the bargain.

The truth is that these guys probably support O'Byrne much more than the posters on this board. Yep, O'Byrne is going to make mistakes and as a young player he has a chance to learn from them.

Like you, I am glad O'Byrne is sitting but our reasons our different. Most young players should be spotted in and out of the lineup. They can reflect on their own play, see the game from a different perspective and make adjustments that will help them improve.

O'Byrne is a decent young defenseman at a decent price. He is part of a team that is doing better than average defensively. Only six teams have given up fewer goals.

I think a lot of the the anger and frustration with O'Byrne is misplaced. We have bigger problems.

Old
11-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Well before his injury, Higgins was penciled in on the Koivu line with Tanguay. So even though I had no problems with Lats on that line. Higgins being put back on that line after his return was not a surprise to me. He was one of our highest goal scorers last year. So you knew eventually he was going to be given another shot with Koivu. Lats had 2 average games in a row, so the opportunity presented itself. Carbo also put Lats back on that line, and they didn't preform half as well as they did at the beginning of the season. So he was removed again.

As for putting the 4th liners on each of our top 3 lines. Besides D'agostini, who we have no idea what he'll bring tonight. The others have proven the last few games to be the hardest workers.

True it's probably going to take away some of our offense. But their additions might also rub off on the struggling offensive players. So I might not agree with everything that Carbo has done. But I can understand that he's trying to shake up the guys and get them playing like he knows they are capable of.

Carbo tried to keep the lines together as long as possible. But it wasn't working, and without looking at our teams record. You had to know that changes had to be made. Are they the right ones? I obviously don't have the answer for that, so we'll just have to sit back and see for ourselves.