HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

D'agostini in, O'Byrne out

Old
11-29-2008, 01:04 PM
smon

vCash: 500
Habs Inside Out is reporting different lines..

First line with D'Agostini, Koivu, Higgins. The Kostitsyn brothers move to the fourth line with Lapierre. Kovalev and Lang are reunited, along with Latendresse. Bégin with Plekanec and Kostopoulos.

Defence combos likely Markov-Gorges, Dandenault-Hamrlik and Bouillon-Brisebois.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/11818

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Turboflex*

I like Carbo mixing the 4th line bangers with the eastern european guys who have looked so pathetic the last 2 weeks. It should light a fire under the Kost bros ***** when they got Lapierre beside them skating his heart out and crashing all over the place (Begin with Kovalev too).

It's sad the habs' staff has to resort to these motivational gimmicks to get them going though, what is wrong with these guys?? If it doesn't work I'd expect a big trade before the new year.

Gainey's patient but if his choice is to gamble on these capricious guys like that in a cup contention year or enable the option he has control over (a trade), he's gotta pull the trigger. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kovalev + Sergei traded for a gritty Canadian (not a grinder, but with some scoring ability). There are teams with a surplus of those guys who need more pure skill who would take that.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Well before his injury, Higgins was penciled in on the Koivu line with Tanguay. So even though I had no problems with Lats on that line. Higgins being put back on that line after his return was not a surprise to me. He was one of our highest goal scorers last year. So you knew eventually he was going to be given another shot with Koivu. Lats had 2 average games in a row, so the opportunity presented itself. Carbo also put Lats back on that line, and they didn't preform half as well as they did at the beginning of the season. So he was removed again.

As for putting the 4th liners on each of our top 3 lines. Besides D'agostini, who we have no idea what he'll bring tonight. The others have proven the last few games to be the hardest workers.

True it's probably going to take away some of our offense. But their additions might also rub off on the struggling offensive players. So I might not agree with everything that Carbo has done. But I can understand that he's trying to shake up the guys and get them playing like he knows they are capable of.

Carbo tried to keep the lines together as long as possible. But it wasn't working, and without looking at our teams record. You had to know that changes had to be made. Are they the right ones? I obviously don't have the answer for that, so we'll just have to sit back and see for ourselves.
/Thread

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Dandouillon: The return?
And to think Halloween was a month ago.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:14 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I thought he would have balls to put AK in the stands, looks like I'm wrong or looks like he can't.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I like Carbo mixing the 4th line bangers with the eastern european guys who have looked so pathetic the last 2 weeks. It should light a fire under the Kost bros ***** when they got Lapierre beside them skating his heart out and crashing all over the place (Begin with Kovalev too).

It's sad the habs' staff has to resort to these motivational gimmicks to get them going though, what is wrong with these guys?? If it doesn't work I'd expect a big trade before the new year.

Gainey's patient but if his choice is to gamble on these capricious guys like that in a cup contention year or enable the option he has control over (a trade), he's gotta pull the trigger. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kovalev + Sergei traded for a gritty Canadian (not a grinder, but with some scoring ability). There are teams with a surplus of those guys who need more pure skill who would take that.
Maybe Kovalev... not Sergei.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
This is like lose/lose... We likely lose because the line combinations are horrendous. Or we pull out a win against the struggling sabres and Carbonneau thinks his lines were an act of god and keeps them together.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:18 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Carbo is a moron, fire his ass.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:22 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
This is like lose/lose... We likely lose because the line combinations are horrendous. Or we pull out a win against the struggling sabres and Carbonneau thinks his lines were an act of god and keeps them together.
Okay. Even Carbonneau is not that stupid. He probably thinks they're going to lose anyway and wants to use this game to send his message.
Why not? He can afford these lines, he can afford to scratch OB and play Dandy, he can afford to lose this game. There are heaps of games left to play.
My only worry is that the players won't get the message...

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Can't really blame Carbonneau for trying something different though...the effort is just so abysmal and he's tried just about every other option. Nothing seems to work. I know Begin and Kovalev just seems ridiculous but they've tried Kovalev with just about every other combination of forwards - the original line, with Tanguay/Koivu, with Lang...so fourth liners it is now.
At some point, you have to ask yourself, WHY in God's name are the players that carried this team to the 1st place last year look as bad as they are showing.

Why is it that ''Nothing seems to work''?..why is it that the message isn't going through??..Why is it that Carbo says ''we tell them something but it goes in one ear and comes out the other one''??..

Does this look like a coach that has things under control?..
Do you think he'll gain more control by putting Kost broz with Lappy?..Begin with Plek/Kovy??..Keep the best player during a game off the PP (Lats yesterday)??..

Carbo made a HUGE mistake before the season started.
He got excited about the depth on his team, and decided to completely change what made us finish 1st last year, our PP.
We lost confidence early because of that, some players lost some of their touch, and all is crumbling down because of this crucial error right from the start IMO.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Carbo is a moron, fire his ass.
What would you do smart boï

Old
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Why Carbo? =[

Begin - Plekanec - TK
Andrei - Laps - Sergei
Is so BAD

Why not!?!
Andrei - Plekanec - Sergei
Begin - Laps - TK

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Well before his injury, Higgins was penciled in on the Koivu line with Tanguay. So even though I had no problems with Lats on that line. Higgins being put back on that line after his return was not a surprise to me. He was one of our highest goal scorers last year. So you knew eventually he was going to be given another shot with Koivu. Lats had 2 average games in a row, so the opportunity presented itself. Carbo also put Lats back on that line, and they didn't preform half as well as they did at the beginning of the season. So he was removed again.

As for putting the 4th liners on each of our top 3 lines. Besides D'agostini, who we have no idea what he'll bring tonight. The others have proven the last few games to be the hardest workers.

True it's probably going to take away some of our offense. But their additions might also rub off on the struggling offensive players. So I might not agree with everything that Carbo has done. But I can understand that he's trying to shake up the guys and get them playing like he knows they are capable of.

Carbo tried to keep the lines together as long as possible. But it wasn't working, and without looking at our teams record. You had to know that changes had to be made. Are they the right ones? I obviously don't have the answer for that, so we'll just have to sit back and see for ourselves.
While I knew Higgins would eventually wind up with Koivu again, I didn't feel it was going to happen so soon.
Before the season started, I personally placed Higgins on 3rd with S.Kost and Lang. I felt it would balance our offense a lot better. So, I didn't want to see Higgins back on with Koivu unless the line was struggling, which it wasn't.

Carbo put Lats back on that line in the last period of the Philly game that we lost. I remember because on his first shift back there, Lats scored but the goal was disallowed because Hartnell clearly knocked the net off before the puck went in.
Next game he played a bit there again but was quickly removed.
I also feel like Carbo will be patient for certain lines. Like he'll be patient for Plek/Kovy/A.Kost or Higgy/Koivu, but not at all when he'll try the Kost broz with Lang or Plek for a game and then switch it. Or Higgy with Kovy/Plek..etc..

I understand why Carbo is doing it, but I don't think it's the right thing. I feel that not only are they bad ineffective lines that will change nothing, but I also feel like he's sending a message to his players saying he doesn't know what to do anymore and is desperate.
Not quite a way to rally up your troups..IMO

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Why Carbo? =[

Begin - Plekanec - TK
Andrei - Laps - Sergei
Is so BAD

Why not!?!
Begin - Laps - TK
Because that would be too simple and logical. But the real reason is that Carbo is not happy with Pleks and the Kost bros, so that line would probably have 8 minute ice-time and the Laps line with 25 minutes.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:34 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Why Carbo? =[

Begin - Plekanec - TK
Andrei - Laps - Sergei
Is so BAD

Why not!?!
Begin - Laps - TK
Andrei & Plekanec have created very little chances since the beginning of the season compared to last season. That is his logic I think.

Old
11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Andrei & Plekanec have created very little chances since the beginning of the season compared to last season. That is his logic I think.
And not giving them talent to work with will surely help in that department.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:38 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
What would you do smart boï
I would get THE HULK to coach this team, he can put some discipline.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:39 PM
habdynasty

try these lines Carbo

A. Kost.- Pleks - S. Kost.
Higgins - Lang - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu - D'Agostini
Dandy - Lapierre - Kostopolous

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:46 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
And not giving them talent to work with will surely help in that department.
They have talent themselves, if they're just floating around waiting for a RW or LW messiah, I would personally put their ***** in the stands and their names on the shopping list.

Old
11-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Brass

even tough he dont exist that could work , but dont expect UFA to come in here until Redscull kicck his butt

Old
11-29-2008, 01:53 PM
habman6

Has anyone noticed how our downfall all came about right after Carbo got pissed that we were scoring 6 goals a game, but not playing defence? So then he tries teaching a defensive system and our scoring goes to ****.

This is a scoring team...I hate carbo right now

habman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
They have talent themselves, if they're just floating around waiting for a LW messiah, I would personally put their ***** in the stands and their names on the shopping list.
That's just too easy to say.

Which is why I hate the saying "They're not working". It just sounds like an excuse to deeper problems. Problems that you don't know how to resolve.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Habsinsideout reports :

Higgins - Koivu - D'agostini
Bégin - Lang - Kovy
Lats - Pleky - Kosto
SK - Lapierre - AK

Markov - Gorges
Harmlik - Dandy
Bouillon - Breezer

Theses lines are absolutely horrible !! How can you score goals with a talentless grinder on each line ?!

Carbo doesn't know how to make lines, it's even clearer now. All he have left is the panic strategy, which will cost him his job soon enough... I'm pretty sure 90% of the posters here could make better line than Carbo, it's pathetic to see him turn the world upside down. I predict an embarassment againts the Sabres tonight. 6-1 for Buffalo.

My lines:

S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Plekanec - D'agostini
Higgins - Lang - Kovalev
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Seriously, it doesn't take a Master Degree to make better lines than Carbo

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:56 PM
habman6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Theses lines are absolutely horrible !!

Carbo doesn't know how to make lines, it's even clearer now. All he have left is the panic strategy, which will cost him his job soon enough... I'm pretty sure 90% of the posters here could make better line than Carbo, it's pathetic to see him turn the world upside down. I predict an embarassment againts the Sabres tonight. 6-1 for Buffalo.

My lines:

S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Plekanec - D'agostini
Higgins - Lang - Kovalev
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Seriously, it doesn't take a Master Degree to make better lines than Carbo

I would actually like to see the KKK line as well

habman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
While I knew Higgins would eventually wind up with Koivu again, I didn't feel it was going to happen so soon.
Before the season started, I personally placed Higgins on 3rd with S.Kost and Lang. I felt it would balance our offense a lot better. So, I didn't want to see Higgins back on with Koivu unless the line was struggling, which it wasn't.

Carbo put Lats back on that line in the last period of the Philly game that we lost. I remember because on his first shift back there, Lats scored but the goal was disallowed because Hartnell clearly knocked the net off before the puck went in.
Next game he played a bit there again but was quickly removed.
I also feel like Carbo will be patient for certain lines. Like he'll be patient for Plek/Kovy/A.Kost or Higgy/Koivu, but not at all when he'll try the Kost broz with Lang or Plek for a game and then switch it. Or Higgy with Kovy/Plek..etc..

I understand why Carbo is doing it, but I don't think it's the right thing. I feel that not only are they bad ineffective lines that will change nothing, but I also feel like he's sending a message to his players saying he doesn't know what to do anymore and is desperate.
Not quite a way to rally up your troups..IMO
You're definitely one of my favorites to debate stuff with here Kriss. I don't always agree, but you have my respect.

I actually thought that Higgins would be a great fit with Lang and S.Kost. But when I've seen them together, they've looked horrible and totally out of sync. Maybe they could have developed some chemistry if Carbo would have been a bit more patient with them. But the early signs weren't good, so I had no problem with Carbo breaking that line up.

So Carbo was stuck, even though Lats proved to be a good fit on the 1st line. The 3rd line went to **** when Higgins was placed on it.

Like I said, just because I know Carbo and think he's a great guy. Doesn't mean I agree with all of the things he does. I've had some great discussions with Carbo over the last couple of years because of it.

I just feel that enough was enough and it was time for him to make some changes. Now he could sit out some veterans for a game, or bench them for a period or two. But IMO this was the best solution, for now. He's keeping his slumping players on the ice, which is the only place they are going to snap out of it.

If this doesn't work, I would fully expect some roster shake ups in the near future.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote