HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you want Gainey to do this UFA season? (Habs Trade/UFA/RFA proposals here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2008, 02:48 PM
habdynasty

vCash: 500
I would trade anyone if the return was right, except Price

Old
11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
AD

2 scenarios:

A) Higgins performs very well and deserves a huge raise... thus we keep him because he becomes a core player of our offense.

B) Higgins performs so so and does not get a huge raise.. thus we keep him because he's stilll cheap potential

/thread

Old
11-07-2008, 02:50 PM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Could be a great investment in exchange of Barker and a 1st...
I agree but I don't know if Chicago is willing to add a 1st. Maybe we can add a 2nd or mid-level prospect like M.Carle/White/Emelin.

Old
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
brownman*

So we unload Higgins, to shed his possible payraise, in exchange for a young defenseman, on pace for 70 goals in his RFA year, who has a cap hit already closing in on $3 million?

Old
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I am speechless right now, unfreackinbelievable

I'm not a Higgins hater, but if you guys think that he will become anything close to Tanguay or Kovalev, you guys are up for a very rude awaikening. Im just amazed by the number of people who just don't get my point
Watch a healthy Higgins do with 2 talended players with the puck on his line.. This kid has alot of heart and some real untapped potential.. Reminds me of Dustin Brown when 100% healthy..

Old
11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
RC51

Trade Higgins before he gets expensive?????????????????????
WOW, why not dump Price now, he is going to be a lot more expensive then Higgins in a few years.
The Habs can get more for Price then Higgins for sure. Since over all money is your concern then just trade Price for a couple of 4th rounders where the chances are highest that they never will demand top NHL contracts.

Old
11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Watch a healthy Higgins do with 2 talended players with the puck on his line.. This kid has alot of heart and some real untapped potential.. Reminds me of Dustin Brown when 100% healthy..
Woah... Dustin Brown is one of the best power forwards in the game... Higgins... not so much...

Old
11-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Beakermania*

why do we have a sticky about next years cap situation if noone uses it

Old
11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Giontatas

I am just so tired of hearing people being so quick to throw Higgins out. He isn't going anywhere, and why should he? Last season, having 200+ SOG he put in 27Gs, imagine if you took away his bad luck in the first half of the season, and had 1/3 of those posts be goals?

This guy is an absolute keeper. Like what was said before, he is the exact player BG wants to mold. He's in his 4th season, give the kid a break... You don't just trade players because "they are getting expensive" that's just stupid, and thank goodness you're not Gainey.

Old
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Trade Higgins before he gets expensive?????????????????????
WOW, why not dump Price now, he is going to be a lot more expensive then Higgins in a few years.
The Habs can get more for Price then Higgins for sure. Since over all money is your concern then just trade Price for a couple of 4th rounders where the chances are highest that they never will demand top NHL contracts.

Because Price is irreplacable, We might lose Tanguay or Kovalev next year, both are star players,. true 1st line players, much better players then Higgins. Trading Higgins for a top 4 that would stay for more then 1 year would make us a better team in the long run.

I know myhockey way too much to be answered with such a moronic response.

Old
11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
why do we have a sticky about next years cap situation if noone uses it
I never even knew it existed, I think it is a great idea though.

Old
11-29-2008, 07:31 AM
ReVeuF

You are Bob Gainey and the season end tomorrow what would you do with the UFA/RFA ?

UFA

Tanguay : 5.375 millions
Koivu : 4.750
Kovalev : 4.5
Lang : 4
Bégin : 1.3
Kostopoulos : .9
Bouillon : 1.875
Dandenault : 1.75
Komisarek : 1.9
Brisebois : 0.75

RFA

Higgins : 1.9
Pleckanec : 1.8
Latendresse : 0.85
Chipchura : 0.86

If you are Bob Gainey how much would you offer to those players if the season ends tomorrow ? Who you let go, who would get a raise or cut ?

Old
11-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
see sticky !

Old
11-29-2008, 07:48 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Step 1.
Ask Koivu if he is happy with winning the Cup and wants to go out on top or if he wants to come back to try to repeat.

Old
11-29-2008, 08:39 AM
sevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
UFA

Tanguay : 5.375 millions keep!
Koivu : 4.750 too small... gone!
Kovalev : 4.5 traded at deadline!
Lang : 4 keep but for top two lines
Bégin : 1.3 gone soon!
Kostopoulos : .9 keep!
Bouillon : 1.875 gone!
Dandenault : 1.75 Gone soon!
Komisarek : 1.9 Keep long term
Brisebois : 0.75 gone! coach assistant for point shot in pp

RFA

Higgins : 1.9 Trade? or Keep long term (get alot for him!)
Pleckanec : 1.8 keep
Latendresse : 0.85keep
Chipchura : 0.86keep

If you are Bob Gainey how much would you offer to those players if the season ends tomorrow ? Who you let go, who would get a raise or cut ?
lots of building, but we have alot of material in the ahl!

Old
11-29-2008, 08:56 AM
ReVeuF

The UFA i would sign for next year are so far : Tanguay, Koivu, Komisarek and maybe Kostopoulos.

I would sign the RFAs, all of them at the cheapest price possible, i would put this year stats on table when negotiating (Higgins and Pleck should not have a huge raise).

Old
11-29-2008, 09:05 AM
habcat

[QUOTE=ReVeuF;16557239]UFA

Tanguay : 5.375 millions Sign small raise
Koivu : 4.750 Sign small raise
Kovalev : 4.5 Go
Lang : 4 Go
Bégin : 1.3 Sign small raise
Kostopoulos : .9 Sign small raise
Bouillon : 1.875 Maybe sign
Dandenault : 1.75 Go
Komisarek : 1.9 Sign Big raise
Brisebois : 0.75 Go

RFA

Higgins : 1.9 Sign all the rest by percentage of their season

Old
11-29-2008, 09:09 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
UFA

RFA

Tanguay : 5.375 millions Re-sign, for a discount, or same price, nothing more.
Koivu : 4.750 - Resign, I want him to finish his career in Montreal.
Kovalev : 4.5 - Gone, I'd try to trade him for an impending UFA somewhere in the NHL beforehand.
Lang : 4 - Gone, he's disappointing.
Bégin : 1.3 - Gone, I'd try to trade or waive during the season.
Kostopoulos : .9 - Kept, great player.
Bouillon : 1.875 - Kept at a discount, one to two year deal, nothing more.
Dandenault : 1.75 - Gone, try to trade or waive during season.
Komisarek : 1.9 - Re-sign, long term.
Brisebois : 0.75 - Gone. Try to trade or waive during the season.

RFA

Higgins : 1.9 - Sign long term.
Pleckanec : 1.8 - Sign long term.
Latendresse : 0.85 - Sign short term with a message, gotta cut to the middle, gotta stand in the front, if not, you're gone.
Chipchura : 0.86 - Sign long term and call him up ASAP to replace Lapierre.

Old
11-29-2008, 09:11 AM
BLONG7

BG has some work to do this season...60 games to go, and he has some major headaches right now, so looking ahead seems to be an exercise of futility...The Habs need something right now, and some of our UFA's could possibly be gone for sure...seems like these guys need a reality check, I would have thought by 22 games in we would have seen some more consistency, but...I am not one of those trade this guy, fire Carbo kind of guys, but we need some life injected into the club...maybe this 7 game homestand will do the trick? Hope so.

Old
11-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
UFA

Tanguay : 5.375 millions - 3 years - cap hit 5 million
Koivu : 4.750 - 2 years - cap hit 4 million
Kovalev : 4.5 - bye bye
Lang : 4 - gone
Bégin : 1.3 - gone
Kostopoulos : .9 - 2 years - cap hit 1.1 million
Bouillon : 1.875 - 1 years - cap hit 1.5 million
Dandenault : 1.75 - gone
Komisarek : 1.9 - 4 years - cap hit 4 million
Brisebois : 0.75 - retirement
RFA

Higgins : 1.9 - 3 years - cap hit 2.5 million (I see him with chips & Kosto for some reason)
Pleckanec : 1.8 - 2 years - cap hit 2 million (2 years to see if he's for real)
Latendresse : 0.85 - 1 year - cap hit 1 million (needs to prove more for me)
Chipchura : 0.86 - 3 years - cap hit 1.25 million

I realize it will be hard to keep Tanguay for less money, but, I'd start there & if the price got too high, start looking at other options.
I'd consider the 2 years for Pleks because he becomes UFA after next year I think, so, I'd want the extra year in case he gets his game together again.
I'd consider 2 years for Lats as well, but, I don't know what to expect from him. I just wonder if he has the nastiness in him to bring his game to the 'power forward' level.

Old
11-29-2008, 09:40 AM
HabsDood

Start from scratch, keep everybody that played less then 5 years in this league but O'Byrne

Old
11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

RFA's

Higgins- hopefully signed 3-4 years with a cap hit somewhere around 3.5M give or take
Pleks- hopefully signed 4 years or long with around the same cap hit as Higgins give or take
Lats- 1 year deal south of 1M, still like his upside he's young and it will take a few years imo but he's got to improve his skating/foot speed even more. I think his development is going well for the most part. I think down the road he will be a very solid nhler if his skating and foot speed continue to improve by a good bit and he plays a physical brand of hockey that he can play.
Chipchura- 1 year 1 way 595K or so
D'Agostini- 1 year 2 way 550K or so
Greg Stewart- 1 year 2 way 550K (I believe that's the league min)
Mathieu Aubin- not sure will have to see how he does this year, I could see him being dropped from the organization but if the Habs think guys like Chipchura, D'Agostini, Pacioretty, Stewart and others will have a chance at making the Habs then they might want to keep around an extra body in Aubin who does have some offensive skills and a good frame. Has shown some improvment in his physical game as well.
O.Latendresse- 1 year 2 way league min
Shawn Belle- 1 or 2 year deal 2 way 700K or so
Lacasse- would not re-sign, Mayer will likely turn pro over the summer.

UFA's We are currently at 21M for players already signed for next year, 10 players so Gainey has somewhere around 35-38M to get 12-13 players under contract.

Komisarek- Hope he signs long term 4-5 years 4M per souds good if possible

Koivu- I say something like 3 years at 5M per I think he could get more on the open market but hopefully he really wants to stay

Kovalev- Tough one, I hope he's back it's nice to have a skilled forward with size and strength that puts points on the board. My opinion is that I don't expect he'll be back I think he will get a decent offer from another team maybe 3 years or so maybe 5.5M or more per year. I know fans might laugh at that but just think back to last summers crazy UFA money that was thrown around. Granted I'm basing this off the cap going up 3M or so but it could go the other way which would make it tougher on the UFA's this summer to get such crazy contracts

Tanguay- Hope he likes it here, I have no clue what kind of offer he'll get but I got to assume if he keeps putting up points like he has it's going to cost a lot to keep him. Maybe 6M again depending on where the cap goes. 4-5 years due to his age at hopefully 5M+, if he got 6M a year it would make it tight to bring everyone back. But I think you have to bring back Tanguay as long as he wants to be back, as hopefully he's happy here as a local and doing well, if Bob can get Komisarek, Tanguay and Koivu all re-signed to decent contracts then I'll be happy.

Lang- I would bring him back on a 1 or 2 year deal depending on what happens with the other UFA's, so if all the UFA's above signed with us, then I'd like Lang go but if we lose one or two forward UFA's I'd try and keep Lang but only if he'd take a pay cut maybe 3.25M or so as he can put points on the board.

Kostopo- Would bring him back for sure if the money was right, 2 or 3 years at 1.2M or so but he might get a better offer.

Begin- I would bring him back if we lose Kostopo, if not I'd still consider it, he's a decent guy to have in the press box most nights and then you can bring him in for the more physical games. But only if he stayed around his 1M salary. As much as I want to see some guys from Hamilton on the team, I don't want too many on the team next year. Begin is a hard working vet and it's not like he would play that much.

Dandenault- gone

Bouillon- tough one, I'd bring him back but only say 2 years at around the same money as I don't know who could replace him since we don't have a guy in Hamilton and I assume Dandenault and Brezzy are gone, if we for some reason can't re-sign Komi then Gainey's got a big problem on his hands.

Brezzy- retired

Denis- I'd bring him back but he made get a better offer somewhere else either another NHL club or more likely a Euro league team can offer him more then what he would make in the AHL.

Lehoux- I'd bring him back, not a big fan but he's skilled for sure and puts points on the board, a decent depth guy to have around if lots of injuries hit

Glumac- I'd bring him back but only on a 2 way

Flinn- I'd bring him back, he's a very good fighter in the AHL but only on a 2 way

Henry- I'd bring back for sure, as he's a good depth guy to keep around if injuries hit

Anderson- gone

Needs to be signed this summer, PK Subban, Olivier Fortier and Philippe Paquet. I'd sign them all, Subban and Fortier get their 3 year deals and Paquet gets his 2 year deal. Then we see what happens with the Euro prospects and any of the NCAA guys that might want to leave early. Emelin, Korneev, Perezhogin, Torp, McDonagh, Fischer, I hope to see at least 2 of them signed over the summer if not more.

Old
11-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Patty Roy

UFA

Sign him. 3 year deal for approx 16 million. I don't think we need to give him a raise. He is currently the 10th highest paid LWer in the game which is more than fair.

Sign him. 3 year deal for approx 15 million. Again his current contract is more than fair and i dont see him getting a raise.

Let him walk. The money can be better spent on a less talented forward who brings it on a nightly basis.

Let him walk. Decent so far, but he is due for a big paycut and he's not getting any younger.

Let him walk. Time to give the Stewarts, D'Agostini's and Chipchura's a chance.

Sign him. 3 year, 3 million total. Good role player.

Let him walk. Add a few more million and go after a real top 4 on the UFA market

Let him walk.

Sign him. Regehr is a fair comparison. Id be fine with a 5 year, 22 million dollar contract

Let him retire.

RFA

Sign him. Probably looking at something in the range of 3 years 9 million.

Sign him. Similar deal to Higgins. Maybe 3 years 10 million.

Sign him. Probably a 1 year deal and look to lock him up long term after that if he progresses. So 1 year, 750-850k range.

Sign him. Similar deal to Latendresse.

Leaves us with:

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
S.Kostitsyn-Plekanec-A.Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-D'Agostini
Kostopolous-Lapierre-Laraque
Stewart

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Gorges
O'Byrne, Emelin (?), Valentenko (?), Weber

We should also have 5-6 million or so in cap space to go after a real top 4 defenceman (Beauchemin, D.Morris, Ohlund) and maybe some grit that can play on the 3rd line.

Old
11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
ReVeuF

The cap will lower next year i am pretty sure, for 2 reasons : the CAN$ value dropped and the actual economic crisis.

I imagine if the cap limit drop under 50 millions... it could happen.

Old
11-29-2008, 03:51 PM
GoldenForum

Next Year's signings

Thinking about who stays and who goes next year, I think it's relatively easy for Bob to figure out (despite the high number of UFAs and RFAs on the team).

Stay (In order of importance & projected salaries):
Komi: 5-6 years @ 5.5-6 million/year
Pleks: 3-4 years @ 3.5 mill/year & Tanguay: 4-5 year @ 5.5 mil/year
Higgins: 3 years @ 2.5-3 mil/year
Koivu: 3 years @ 4 mil/year. I can understand if some feel koivu should not be signed
Bouillon 2 years @ 2 mil/year

Approx. Total Salary Increases (above player's current salaries): 7-8 million

Go:
Kovalev (he's been great fun, but you can't resign him at his age for the bucks that he will want)
Lang: he's been a 1-year rental; too expensive to sign again
Dandenault
Begin (thanks for being the warrior that you are)

Money Saved/Available by not resigning those 4: 10 million

If Gainey added Bowmeester, it will probably take 6-7 million a year so we'd have the money for that. Assuming only Chips and D'agostini make the jump next year, we'd probably have to go out and find a high quality forward if available. In any event, our first priority should be Bowmeester. Even without the addition of a Top 6 forward, we'd still have Pleks, AK46, AK74, Higgins, Tanguay, Koivu. I agree we would need some scoring help (maybe MaxPac is ready to make the jump), but the Habs would be so much better with a back end of:

Komi-Markov
Bowmeester-Hamrlik
Bouillon-OB (or whomever)

Closed Thread