HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist's performance when it matters most

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
  #26
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I'm not labeling him a playoff choker at all. Just pointing out that in his very limited body of work, he hasn't been very clutch. Of course he's young and will have ample opportunity to become an all time great. But as of this date, I have yet to see him step his game up when it matters most. Its something I've noticed each of the past 3 playoff seasons and resonated after the last 2 games.
Remember that time he literally carried the Rangers on his back and into the playoffs? He can't elevate his game? Shut the **** up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but some of them are so off-base that the right should be revoked. Just because you boast about you having the "unpopular opinion" doesn't make you the unbiased all-knowing eye you think you possess.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
  #27
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
I seem to think the exact opposite. An example would be the Olympics, Lundqvist denies Selanne in the last few seconds of the gold medal game to win the gold.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:02 PM
  #28
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
ok dude. Like I said, he's not a weak link, hes a phenomenal goaltender. Technically perfect and the reason we will be a playoff team for 10+ yrs assuming he doesn't get hurt. But I haven't seen anything to suggest he can elevate his game the way the greats have. Lundqvist is 1-3 in playoff OT's. He doesn't shut the door late in games and seems to play the same in any situation. He's a very good goaltender but if you want to win a cup you need a goaltender who can stand on their head when you need them to. Richter was that guy. I'm not convinced Lundqvist is. And go ahead and read my posts. You'll see me begging Sather to trade Prucha 3 yrs ago bc his value could only go down. You'll see me rip Pern and Renney 2 yrs ago for a powerplay that can't be successful. You'll see me talk about why Gomez and Reddens contracts will create a serious cap problem. I seem to have a knack for making unpopular statements on this board that ultimately hold true. I know the game...
yeah that pretty much describes osgood...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
  #29
2Leetch_94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
So if Richter is in your Top 3 list of most clutch goaltenders ever....why is that a knock on Lundqvist? I don't get it. I'm sorry, even Richter needed luck/a cup contending team in front of him to win his only stanley cup. Lundqvist hasn't been the reason why this team hasn't gotten past the second round in the last two seasons.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:13 PM
  #30
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Remember that time he literally carried the Rangers on his back and into the playoffs? He can't elevate his game? Shut the **** up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but some of them are so off-base that the right should be revoked. Just because you boast about you having the "unpopular opinion" doesn't make you the unbiased all-knowing eye you think you possess.
Regular season... I'm not saying Lundqvist ISNT OR CANT BE clutch. I'm saying he hasn't and well, HE HASNT. He was painful in his 1st playoffs (he was also a kid so who cares) In '06 he was great until he couldnt shut the door in game 5 vs buff. We would have been up 3-2 going back to MSG. In '07 our season ended on a Hossa OT goal. I don't think he was all that impressive in that series either. So curse me all you want but I'm not seeing that consistant dominate performance late in games/playoffs. HE IS STILL A GREAT GOALTENDER WHO MAY GO ON TO HAVE A DECADE OF CLUTCH PERFORMANCES. But he hasn't shown himself to be that goaltender to date...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
  #31
MiniRide
Registered User
 
MiniRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Okay, Being an Advid Mike Richter fan, Compared to Hank.. they are both the same, They both step it up in different parts of their game.. Richter was better in bigger games but, If Mikey had to deal with the shootouts, I think things would have been different.. Hank will take us to a Stanley Cup, We just need to find the next El Cap-i-tan

MiniRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:22 PM
  #32
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Regular season... I'm not saying Lundqvist ISNT OR CANT BE clutch. I'm saying he hasn't and well, HE HASNT. He was painful in his 1st playoffs (he was also a kid so who cares) In '06 he was great until he couldnt shut the door in game 5 vs buff. We would have been up 3-2 going back to MSG. In '07 our season ended on a Hossa OT goal. I don't think he was all that impressive in that series either. So curse me all you want but I'm not seeing that consistant dominate performance late in games/playoffs. HE IS STILL A GREAT GOALTENDER WHO MAY GO ON TO HAVE A DECADE OF CLUTCH PERFORMANCES. But he hasn't shown himself to be that goaltender to date...
whoa, have you even seen that game? that would have been a blowout if not for hank

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:23 PM
  #33
NYC427
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mannheim DE
Country: Germany
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Please tell me that you are:

A. Drunk (I remember my first beer too, pal)
B. High
C. Fresh out of Prison

Or an odd combination of the 3?
hahaha ==+1

NYC427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:29 PM
  #34
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Is this the same Lundqvist who robbed Jokinen to win a gold medal?

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
  #35
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Dude...no.

I love Mike Richter. Love him. Henrik Lundqvist is a significantly better goaltender. Mike Richter is not a Hall of Famer, but Lundqvist probably will be. Don't you understand that these past three seasons, we never had a great team? The first year was basically an incredible Jagr carrying a mediocre team on his back with Lundqvist's help. The second season the team was sinking ship until they got Avery. Last season, Lundqvist was phenomenal and the team was, again, nothing special.

This season? We have a mediocre team again, a 6th, 7th, or 8th place team being propped up by his ridiculous play. Game after game, they fail to score enough goals to win but almost never cease to break down in front of him. He's had maybe 3 bad games so far, but he's had far more spectacular ones. This team relies on shootouts, and that's all him. It's also why this team will do nothing in the playoffs if they don't change their situation, but for right now, they're piling up points and it's all on him.

If the season ends right now, he gets the Hart Trophy in my eyes. He's dragging this team, on his hands and knees, night after night, into first place. He's losing his grip though, because the anchor is getting heavier and heavier, but they're still up there, and he's responsible.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:57 PM
  #36
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniRide View Post
Okay, Being an Advid Mike Richter fan, Compared to Hank.. they are both the same, They both step it up in different parts of their game.. Richter was better in bigger games but, If Mikey had to deal with the shootouts, I think things would have been different.. Hank will take us to a Stanley Cup, We just need to find the next El Cap-i-tan
You know what really interests me when I compare the two. I forgot. Richter was more of a stand up goalie correct. Maybe the last of a dying breed. I wonder why the butter fly and now there's a modified version of the butter fly style has taken over the goal tending scene from Jr's to the Pro's. I think every goal tender in the NHL uses it.

I love both guys though when it comes to performance. Why can't we just sit back and say "wow, these are two fantastic all star goal tenders and they play for my team. I lived to see the both of them play." Now don't forget everyone that the King is going to steal a few couple extra wins over Richter because Lundqvist had an extra opportunity to pick up the win because of the shoot out.

And I do think Richter would have definitely won his share. Remember those saves against possibly the greatest sniper ever in the NHL. Pavel Bure got burned twice. And the one time was huge. It was during the Stanley Cup finals.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:17 PM
  #37
All Hail King Henrik
 
All Hail King Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Lundqvist Chokes?

Torino, Italy. 2006. Men's Ice Hockey Final: Gold Medal Game.

Score: Sweden 3, Finland 2.

Time remaining: roughly 30 seconds.

Henrik Lundqvist makes an INCREDIBLE save on what should have been a sure-goal for Finland to tie the game. Afterwards, many players from team Sweden state that if not for that amazing save, they would not be wearing their gold medals around their necks. They attribute the victory to Henke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_y00nYJW8

The save sequence starts at 4:08.

Henke really choked there, huh?



Pretty good for a 23 year old goaltender.

From the post article:

"The viewing public will still be deconstructing replays of his inconceivable flurry of saves. Lundqvist acknowledged that he had an inconsistent Olympic tournament, but in the final minutes of the final game, he blocked a shot by Kimmo Timonen with his chest. He deflected a shot by Niklas Hagman with his shoulder. He turned away a shot by Jere Lehtinen with his stick. He left Teemu Selanne in tears."


All Hail King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:23 PM
  #38
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
This is likely to be the most unpopular thread of the year, but is anyone else concerned that Hank doesn't seem to step up when it matters most? What I loved about Mike Richter was that the bigger the game or situation, the bigger he played. Richter would keep us in games overtime after overtime until we finally scored. Henrik hasn't been a playoff force at all in his first 3 go arounds. He seems to give up goals late in games and just isn't that clutch. He's a great technical goaltender who gives us a chance to win just about every night. We will likely be a playoff team every season he's between the pipes but to me the difference between a great goaltender and an elite goaltender is how they perform late in games and in the playoffs. Do they elevate their game to the highest level? I have yet to see Henrik elevate his game the way the greats have...
Darren, you read my mind. You are a braver man than me for posting this here, as well heheh. Hank has yet to reach that upper level. He's a superior goaltender over Richter, without question. But watch that '94 team, Richter was making saves that I just couldn't see Hank making right now.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:24 PM
  #39
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
This is likely to be the most unpopular thread of the year, but is anyone else concerned that Hank doesn't seem to step up when it matters most? What I loved about Mike Richter was that the bigger the game or situation, the bigger he played. Richter would keep us in games overtime after overtime until we finally scored. Henrik hasn't been a playoff force at all in his first 3 go arounds. He seems to give up goals late in games and just isn't that clutch. He's a great technical goaltender who gives us a chance to win just about every night. We will likely be a playoff team every season he's between the pipes but to me the difference between a great goaltender and an elite goaltender is how they perform late in games and in the playoffs. Do they elevate their game to the highest level? I have yet to see Henrik elevate his game the way the greats have...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:38 PM
  #40
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Your acting as if he's been beaten by a bunch of scrubs in the playoffs. Drury, Hossa, Crosby, Malkin have all beaten him in big spots. It's not as if he's been beaten by the likes of Pascal Dupuis or anything. If you want to discuss not being clutch look at the 4 lines of forwards and six defensemen that have skated in front of him the past three years. I've been more worried about them the last 3+ years than the guy we have net. The best of the best have beaten him. Lundqvist not being clutch? Sorry but we don't sniff the playoffs without him let alone advance past the first round. I believe your argument to be unfounded.

The Pens skated circles around us last season and practically played the whole game on the PP. The year prior Buffalo won the Presidents Trophy and we're an offensive machine while our team only scored more than 2 goals once the entire series. I believe you're placing the blame on the wrong person.

I've never felt as confident as I do watching a goaltender during a breakaway or a shootout or odd man rush as I do when I watch Lundy in net. He's bailed us out and kept us in more games than you can shake a stick at.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:41 PM
  #41
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I have yet to see Henrik elevate his game the way the greats have...
My read on this (between the lines): the missing word is "yet". Hence the dot dot dot...

Wow. Talk about a fan favorite. lol You cannot mess with The King!!

I don't think DT's post is without merit. He's simply saying that it hasn't happened YET.

I think it will though. Certainly Henrik is the caliber goal-tender you need to win the cup. And most years you don't get there without a net-minder stealing a game or 2 on the way through the playoffs. Thats the "standing on his head" part.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:48 PM
  #42
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
My read on this (between the lines): the missing word is "yet". Hence the dot dot dot...

Wow. Talk about a fan favorite. lol You cannot mess with The King!!

I don't think DT's post is without merit. He's simply saying that it hasn't happened YET.

I think it will though. Certainly Henrik is the caliber goal-tender you need to win the cup. And most years you don't get there without a net-minder stealing a game or 2 on the way through the playoffs. Thats the "standing on his head" part.
Sorry but I have to disagree with that. In 06-07 he played very well. You can see the difference within the two series. We scored against Atlanta and we failed to score against Buffalo. Two very different outcomes. Hank "stole" games 3 through 5 for us against Buffalo yet our offense failed to reward him in game 5. (Not that they rewarded him with anything more than two goals in games 3 and 4) Give Henrik anything that resembles an offense (ie. more than 2 goals per game) and you'll have a cup.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:57 PM
  #43
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Shocked that some of the Debbie nits haven't replied yet.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 05:08 PM
  #44
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
. But watch that '94 team, Richter was making saves that I just couldn't see Hank making right now.
Maybe I'd need to go back and watch some of those games again, but I'll also point out that Lundqvist and Richter are different style goaltenders who make saves in different ways. Lundqvist makes a ton of great saves by being in position and not having to be super flashy all the time. Maybe he makes those saves Richter made, but doesn't look as spectacular in the process.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
  #45
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
again, I'm not questioning whether or not he's a great goaltender. HES A GREAT GOALTENDER. However, all the vezina's in the world don't equal a conn smythe...
Understood, but all of the Conn Smythe's in the world don't exist if you don't have the goaltender that gets you into the playoffs. My point would be that you have nothing to complain about or nitpick with Lundqvist. He's as good as they come right now.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
  #46
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,572
vCash: 500
Richter was an excellent goalie but not really a great one. There were maybe two seasons where he was arguably at the top or near the top of his position. He is not HOF worthy IMO. True--he was a major contributor to the cup run. His last 7 seasons the Rangers were not even a playoff team.

So--Lundqvist comes over after the lockout season and as a rookie backstops pretty much a mediocre team (with apologies to Jagr) to the playoffs after several seasons of $80 million starstudded country club squades having failed to do the same most of them with Richter in net. Not blaming Mike but for the most part at least on paper those teams were light years better than the 05-06 roster. Explain that. The '94 team was the best team the Rangers ever put together in my lifetime of following them--better even than the 71-72 team that went to the finals. The teams that Lundqvist has played for have been fatally flawed in one way or another. Keep in mind that Kevin Weekes was expected to be the real starter for the 05-06 team--that Steve Rucchin was its second line center and that the 3rd and 4th lines were made up of rookies and borderliners. Cullen takes over as 2nd line center in 06-07 a very marginal upgrade from Rucchin. The team continues to have problems with balanced scoring--does not have enough grit either.

Anyway we'll fast forward. This season's team has holes as well. Our forwards are small--not one of them is an elite player. We're not particularly tough or gritty at forward or defense. With all that I think we've overachieved and the primary reason is Henrik. There has been a couple late goals. Most overtimes games have gone our way and Henrik is stellar in shootouts. Out of 17 shooters against him this year only 2 have scored. That's 17 breakaways and only 2 goals. Contrast that to the Rangers shooters who have scored 9 of 20. While it's true there aren't going to be any shootouts in the playoffs it's proof at least to me that he's not a choker and that his goaltending is the least of all our potential for problems.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:03 PM
  #47
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
This is likely to be the most unpopular thread of the year, but is anyone else concerned that Hank doesn't seem to step up when it matters most? What I loved about Mike Richter was that the bigger the game or situation, the bigger he played. Richter would keep us in games overtime after overtime until we finally scored. Henrik hasn't been a playoff force at all in his first 3 go arounds. He seems to give up goals late in games and just isn't that clutch. He's a great technical goaltender who gives us a chance to win just about every night. We will likely be a playoff team every season he's between the pipes but to me the difference between a great goaltender and an elite goaltender is how they perform late in games and in the playoffs. Do they elevate their game to the highest level? I have yet to see Henrik elevate his game the way the greats have...
you're comparing a player in his 3rd year to somebody's entire body of work. Also, didnt Richter give up a few game tying last minute goals in the 94 playoffs? games 1/7 of the devils series and game 1 of the finals come to mind. Point is, it happens to everybody.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:37 PM
  #48
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
ok dude. Like I said, he's not a weak link, hes a phenomenal goaltender. Technically perfect and the reason we will be a playoff team for 10+ yrs assuming he doesn't get hurt. But I haven't seen anything to suggest he can elevate his game the way the greats have. Lundqvist is 1-3 in playoff OT's. He doesn't shut the door late in games and seems to play the same in any situation. He's a very good goaltender but if you want to win a cup you need a goaltender who can stand on their head when you need them to. Richter was that guy. I'm not convinced Lundqvist is. And go ahead and read my posts. You'll see me begging Sather to trade Prucha 3 yrs ago bc his value could only go down. You'll see me rip Pern and Renney 2 yrs ago for a powerplay that can't be successful. You'll see me talk about why Gomez and Reddens contracts will create a serious cap problem. I seem to have a knack for making unpopular statements on this board that ultimately hold true. I know the game...
LOL... 2005 Swedish Championship finals. Game 1, Henrik gives up 3 goals and Frölunda lose the game 2-4 after an empty netter. Team infront of him looked shaky and unprepared, other team was on an adrenaline rush. The remaining 4 games Henrik only lets in 1 single goal, which was on a penalty shot which should never have been called (broken stick which accidentally hit the puck when the play dropped it at the blue line...). He put his team on his back and carried them single handily to a championship, it was the most ridiculous performance I have ever seen by a goaltender, stopping 116 shots in 4 games, only allowing one goal during a best of seven championship series.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:47 PM
  #49
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,748
vCash: 500
also he is 5-2 in OT/SO without scoring a single ot goal. lundqvist gave up 1 ot goal in nearly 35 minutes of overtime hockey, arguably the time where it matter most.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 07:26 PM
  #50
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PL7 View Post
I agree this is a big concern. Don't get me wrong...he's good, but great? Hardly. I've been saying this for years...we should have kept Montoya around and try to get the highest bidder to offer something ridiculous for Hank. Again, he's good, but a winner he is not. He's beaten way too easily to the glove side and up high. That's not a recipe for success in this league, kiddo.
Please tell me this is a fake post

If not then someone needs to bump the "are we the worst fans in the NHL thread" with a resounding "yes" post

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.