HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Underachieving? Or are we really this bad?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2008, 01:53 PM
  #26
piqued
Global Moderator
shift
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,803
vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The jury is still out on Neal and Brunnstrom. Get back to me when they have consecutive 25 goal seasons.
Get back to me when Kopitar, Frolov, Brown, or O'Sullivan meet your own standards...

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:01 PM
  #27
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 17,878
vCash: 50
Come in peace.

I would say under-achieving. Your team is too good to be playing this bad, simple as that. I think the team has a new look to it and is trying to find an identity. Mattias is obviously being missed and Turco is a great goaltender and will get it together (I even traded for him in my fantasy league).

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:05 PM
  #28
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't think so. It begins with one bad season and who's to say with the level of talent that you have now (not what you were last year or the year before that) that this team is underachieving?
The fact that many players on this current roster was responsible for making the playoffs consecutive times through this decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Modano might be ok this season, but how much longer can he go on? Who do you have in the minors ready to step in and take his place?
You could have said this last year when it really looked like he was on decline. But when he is actually performing, now we question his age and talent? That sir, does not make sense. Regardless, trading Modano would be last resort and would be by his consent. He has been the face of this franchise since its relocation and he won't be traded just for some petty draft picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The jury is still out on Neal and Brunnstrom. Get back to me when they have consecutive 25 goal seasons. Eriksson looks like the real deal, but one isn't enough.
Jury is still out on Brunnstrom, but Neal and Eriksson are solid prospects, even if they don't recieve the media pazazz. These are not the only young players being brought up in our system (Sawada, Benn, etc.). So again, you are exaggerating our situtation. Teams do not need famous names to have a solid youth foundation. Ask good drafting teams like Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Where's the young studs on the blueline? If you're going to use the names on your current roster, I disagree.
The Stars do not currently have a young "stud". The closest thing to one is Niskanen, who is slumping. However, Dallas does have solid youth pieces. Defensemen like Grossman (sometimes Fistric) may not have league-wide recognition, but are solid players in the Stars defensive core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Whether you signed him to the contract or not is irrelevant. It's your contract now eating up your cap space. The fact that he needs star wingers in order to produce kind of proves my point. He would be great for a lot less money on a team that has the players to put around him. The fact that you don't have those players kind of says that he is in the wrong place at the wrong time in Dallas.
The Stars don't need him to be their number 1 center. That is the reason they have Ribeiro and Modano. The Stars have depth. Again, you don't have to lecture about his contract because everyone knows he doesn't play up to it. He is, however, a solid centerman who can play with wingers like Eriksson, Brunnstrom, Hagman, etc. Also, Richards was brought here to be the playoff stud he was several years ago (and last year he did make big plays in the Stars playoff run).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Ribs isn't a top 3 in the NHL on teams that are very good. Just take a look around at the top teams and ask yourself if he could crack their #1 line.
Again, the Stars do not have a superstar taking faceoffs. The Stars have three solid players down the center. It is ridiculous that you are comparing the Stars to nameless standards as your comparison. Give me a name of a team that is similar to the Stars's system and I'll tell you if Ribeiro could crack their top line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I agree comparing them to top draft picks is ludicrous, which is what the poster that said he would put them in that elite group of young defensemen did. I wouldn't trade any of your young guys. They are certainly suitable as building blocks, but they aren't top pairing type defensemen and maybe only one of them is top four.

The guys you should be thinking about trading are Zubov and Robidas.
I already answered this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Before last season's playoff run did Stars' fans even consider him to be elite? He got hot during last year's playoffs.
Before last year playoff run, I considered him one of the better regular season goaltenders and the numbers backed that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He is certainly capable of doing that, but when he is operating behind a sub par defense he is very average.
Now, what are you backing this up with other than this season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
It isn't a give up philosophy. It's realistic. I bet your talented coach gets canned after this season if not sooner. Why? Because your team doesn't have as much talent as you think it does. Do you know how many times I have seen the excuse of bad luck with injuries. The Kings practically invented it going all the way back to Deadmarsh, Allison, and Palffy.
Okay, you underrate and undercut all of our players, so obviously we are terrible because of this one season. I guess our excuse could be that Zubov, Lehtinen, Morrow, Lundqvist, Ott, and more have been or are still injured. It really is a poor excuse. It's only the majority of our best players. I mean, losing your best players and captain have no bearing on results, right? We are pathetic for even bring it up, is that correct?

Every Stars fan knows that this run of good hockey will eventually end, as our big three (Modano, Zubov, and Lehtinen) are bound to retire, probably the same year. However, the Stars don't need to hasten this because of one bad season and people like you that knee-jerk to the highest order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
No offense, but it's a message board. Differing opinions is what makes the world go round. Just saying that I have seen this situation before and right now the Stars organization is just delaying the inevitable.
There are differing opinions and then stupid opinions. I think yours follow under one of those categories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Get back to me when Kopitar, Frolov, Brown, or O'Sullivan meet your own standards...
Exactly, it is ludicrous the standards he is putting on players.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:43 PM
  #29
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I never said he was an offensive force, I disputed the fact that he wasn't creative or a good passer.

I will hang my hat on Ribs any day of the week.

I don't know, help a team to the WCF?

edit: Doughty's going to hit a wall. Then I'll be sure to ask what he's ever done. And wonder where his "it" factor went.
He may hit the wall right after he wins the Calder Trophy, and then he'll still have the "it" factor. The kid has hockey sense that you just don't coach. He sees the ice and reads the play better than most NHL veterans.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:12 PM
  #30
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,656
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He may hit the wall right after he wins the Calder Trophy, and then he'll still have the "it" factor. The kid has hockey sense that you just don't coach. He sees the ice and reads the play better than most NHL veterans.
Really?

Damn, might as well give him the Norris this year while we're at it then, right?

Everyone knew Doughty would be a good blueliner. It's pretty much why he was a top 5 pick, and thankfully for you, your team was bad enough last year to be able to draft him. So going around our board bragging about how good this kid is, really serves no purpose.

If the Stars fail to get out of this funk and end up in Kings territory (you know, draft lottery), then obviously we'll be the ones drafting highly-touted players who make immediate impacts.

Hopefully we won't overdo it with the accolades like you're keen to do.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:29 PM
  #31
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
We will gladly take back Tippet

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:32 PM
  #32
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Really?

Damn, might as well give him the Norris this year while we're at it then, right?

Everyone knew Doughty would be a good blueliner. It's pretty much why he was a top 5 pick, and thankfully for you, your team was bad enough last year to be able to draft him. So going around our board bragging about how good this kid is, really serves no purpose.

If the Stars fail to get out of this funk and end up in Kings territory (you know, draft lottery), then obviously we'll be the ones drafting highly-touted players who make immediate impacts.

Hopefully we won't overdo it with the accolades like you're keen to do.
Sorry if I offended you. I thought it was a cheap shot at Doughty that's all. Doughty is playing like a top pairing defenseman that has been in the league for three or four years at the age of 18. That isn't bragging. It just is what it is.

Eventually every team ends up in lottery territory. There's no shame in it. I am glad that the Kings finally gave up on years of finishes in the black hole (no playoffs and no top 5 pick either) and decided to finally let the young guys play. I was tired of the bandaids like Roenick, Parrish, Sopel, etc.

I happen to see a lot of similarities between the Stars now and the Kings several years ago. I don't think it's a funk. I think it's a trend, but hey if your GM wants to believe that the Stars are just a tweak here or there from being cup contenders again that's great.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 08:40 PM
  #33
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Eventually every team ends up in lottery territory. There's no shame in it. I am glad that the Kings finally gave up on years of finishes in the black hole (no playoffs and no top 5 pick either) and decided to finally let the young guys play. I was tired of the bandaids like Roenick, Parrish, Sopel, etc.

I happen to see a lot of similarities between the Stars now and the Kings several years ago. I don't think it's a funk. I think it's a trend, but hey if your GM wants to believe that the Stars are just a tweak here or there from being cup contenders again that's great.
I'm glad you wise Kings fans are here to guide us sheep. Don't hold back now, tell us more about our team.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.