HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/29/08: Nashville vs. Minnesota

Old
11-29-2008, 01:43 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
11/29/08: Nashville vs. Minnesota

@

@

Nashville Predators (11-9-2, 24pts, 3rd Central, 8th West)

Last Ten Games: 5-4-1
Home Record: 5-2-1
Goals For: 66, 15th
Goals Against: 69, 22nd
Power Play Ranking: 13.6%, 27th
Penalty Kill Ranking: 82.2%, 15th
Home Power Play Ranking: 14.6%, 23rd
Home Penalty Kill Ranking: 89.5%, 1st

Nashville Team Leaders
Goals: Jason Arnott, 11
Assists: Jean-Pierre Dumont, 17
Power Play Goals: Arnott, 4
Power Play Scoring: Dumont, 8 (1g+7a)
Short-Handed Goals: Four Tied at 1
Short-Handed Scoring: Scott Nichol, 3 (0g+3a)
Shots: Weber, 75
Shooting Percentage: Arnott, 20.4%
Plus-Minus: Weber, +11
Penalty Minutes: Jordin Tootoo, 41
Hits: Weber, 54
Blocked Shots: Greg Zanon, 62
Giveaways: Dumont, 16
Takeaways: Dan Hamhuis, 15
Turnover Differential: Joel Ward, +9
Faceoffs Won: Radek Bonk, 143-89
Faceoff Percentage: Bonk, 61.6%
Time On Ice: Weber, 24:15
Wins: Dan Ellis, 8-9-2
Minutes Played: Ellis, 1117
Goals Against Average: Ellis, 2.90
Save Percentage: Ellis
Shutouts: Ellis, 1

Nashville Fun Fact: The Predators are one of the league's best post-regulation teams, with a record of 5-2 in games that go beyond regulation (3-0 in overtime, 2-2 in shootouts).

Nashville Player to Watch: Martin Erat, now having gone six games without a goal, is due a big night in Nashville.

Nashville Reason to Worry: The Wild were 3-1 against the Predators last season, including a heart-breaking 4-3 win in Nashville on 11/24/07.

Nashville Injury Report
None

Nashville Projected Lineup
Erat-Arnott-Dumont
Pihlström-Legwand-Ward
Smithson-Bonk-Tootoo
Peverley-Nichol-Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Zanon
De Vries-Klein

Ellis

Minnesota Wild (13-7-1, 27pts, 2nd Northwest, 5th West)

Last Ten Games: 6-4-0
Road Record: 6-3-0
Goals For: 56, 25th
Goals Against: 45, 1st
Power Play Ranking: 21.4%, 8th
Penalty Kill Ranking: 90.2%, 1st
Road Power Play Ranking: 20.0%, 10th
Road Penalty Kill Ranking: 92.7%, 1st

Minnesota Team Leaders
Goals: Andrew Brunette, 7
Assists: Mikko Koivu, 15
Power Play Goals: Brunette, Marek Zidlicky, 3
Power Play Scoring: Koivu, 8 (1g+7a)
Short-Handed Goals: Koivu, 1
Shots: Koivu, 78
Shooting Percentage: Benoit Pouliot, 26.3%
Plus-Minus: Pouliot, Marc-Andre Bergeron, +5
Penalty Minutes: Koivu, 26
Hits: Cal Clutterbuck, 67
Blocked Shots: Nick Schultz, 44
Giveaways: Koivu, 19
Takeaways: Koivu, 21
Turnover Differential: Eric Belanger, +7
Faceoffs Won: Koivu, 217-197
Faceoff Percentage: Belanger, 53%
Time On Ice: Kim Johnsson, 24:45
Wins: Niklas Backström, 13-6-1
Minutes Played: Backström, 1171
Goals Against Average: Backström, 2.15
Save Percentage: Backström, .928
Shutouts: Backström, 2

Minnesota Fun Fact: The Wild have the league's premier penalty kill, clicking at an outstanding 90.2% overall and 92.7% on the road.

Minnesota Player to Watch: Goaltender Niklas Backström has been more than up to snuff for the Wild, holding opponents to a Western Conference-best 45 goals. He has a great history against Nashville, with a 5-0 record, 2.58 GAA and .922 save percentage against the Preds.

Minnesota Reason to Worry: The Wild have struggled as of late to keep their opponents out of the back of the net. The Wild have conceded 14 goals in their last three games, an average of just under 3 per game.

Minnesota Injuries
Marian Gaborik (Lower Body, Out)
Kurtis Foster (Broken Leg, Out)

Minnesota Projected Lineup
Bouchard-Koivu-Brunette
Veilleux-Belanger-Burns
Nolan-Sheppard-Miettinen
Boogaard-Pouliot-Clutterbuck

Johnsson-Schultz
Skoula-Zidlicky
Bergeron-Reitz

Backström

Media Coverage: Tonight's game will be available on FSN-North in High Definition in Minnesota, and will be broadcast on 97.1 WRQQ out of Nashville.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
DManPreds11

Hopefully tonight we'll some of those turnovers from Zids like we seen while he was here in Nashville.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:27 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Im still out of town and I wont get to see this one.

Leipold..Leipold..Leipold..YOU SUCK

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Soundgarden

arggh stupid 5-3

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Played like *****es

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Soundgarden

6-2 I think we lost.

Old
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Soundgarden

Wow, it sounds like we(fans) are being ****.

Old
11-29-2008, 11:27 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Wow, it sounds like we(fans) are being ****.
I think you are talking about the many booing the ref and the very few that threw things at him. "Mike from Franklin" was in rare form tonight.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Looking at the score sheet, this game looked like the officials were paid off in a major way. Weber starting a fight and not having a coincidental major on the other team? Hmmmmm......I wish we could have seen it here, but FSN decided to play the Grizzlies.

11-30-2008, 12:22 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I would love to see a replay of the Tootoo "elbowing" penalty in the third. I swear he was getting checked/pushed and was just fighting for position while off balance, which caused his hands to be up in the air, when the dick/ref raised his hand.

There may have been somekind of elbow contact but not an elbowing penalty.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:06 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

The outcome of this game was determined by one single penalty - the roughing minor on Weber. If it was never called, or if a matching roughing was called on Weller, Suter never takes the unsportsmanlike, and as a result, the team maintains its energy and the game likely stays 0-0 through the first period, giving the game a completely different look and possibly a different, or at least closer end result, because we maintain our discipline and don't take so many ludicrous penalties.

Nice play by Weber letting Koivu skate right around him for the 5th goal that pretty much dashed any remaining hope we had of winning this game after Ward's double-minor.

Fiddler made a nice hustle play, flipping the puck on net and then swooping in to throw his own rebound at the net. Shame that the player with arguably the least amount of overall talent on the team is the one making those plays, as opposed to say Erat.

PLEASE get Legwand out of the face-off circle. He's the worst face-off man... on the team.

Harding looked shaky, but we never really tested him. Ellis played like absolute crap. He wasn't even close to stopping Bouchard's goal (although he may have been partially screened by Hamhuis).

Hasenfrantz or however you spell his name is a condom failure along the lines of such greats as Dan O'Halloran and Mick McGeough. Awful, awful officiating tonight. They completely missed Harding's horse-collar of Tootoo after the whistle. There should have been a matching roughing penalty when Tootoo was sent to the box, also. Same with Weber, or perhaps the complete opposite.

We dick around with the puck entirely too much to be effective against the trap. A well-designed positional offensive system, good stick-handling and puck control forwards, and at least two solid puck-moving defensemen are needed to break the trap. We really only have one good puck-mover, and that's Suter. Weber, Hamhuis, and Koistinen are average, and Zanon and De Vries suck at it. Acquiring another puck-mover and a solid stick-handling forward will give us a much better matchup against Minnesota.

All four fights were entertaining, even though Weber v Weller and Nichol v Vellieux weren't much in the way of a fight. I'd give the latter to Weber and the former was a draw. Belak v Boogaard goes to Boogaard, and I give Tootoo v Weller to Jordin, but that was a really entertaining scrap. Tootoo can really fire up a crowd.

Nice job by Man Who Play With Stone-ed Hand (Smithson, or at least that's who I thought it was) to completely miss the net on the short-handed rush that led to the second goal. Cannot emphasize it enough after that incident that you MUST GET YOUR SHOTS ON NET, even if it's just a low shot that hops off the pads. It has a better chance of going in than aiming for the corners Zidlicky-style.

Mikko Koivu is one hell of a hockey player. He had an outstanding game tonight, as did Miettinen and Bouchard.

How long have the Wild been using Burns as a forward? I know he's been up there for a couple of games now, but I wasn't sure if it hadn't been a bit longer.

Third goal was a combination of a defensive breakdown (believe it was Erat that left his man open, who then crashed the net) and some nice tic-tac-toe puck movement by the Wild.

Credit to Minnesota, they took advantage of every opportunity given them to generate scoring chances. We, on the other hand, looked like a team that had played last night in another time zone, then got drunk with some of our fans and maybe traded a jersey or two here or there.

We've played better games than this, so I'm confident we can turn things around... but a frustrating loss, to be certain.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 11-30-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old
11-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
47.11 Instigator - An instigator of an altercation shall be a player or goalkeeper who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

A player or goalkeeper who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting and a ten-minute misconduct.

If the same player or goalkeeper is deemed to be the instigator of a second altercation in the same game, he shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

When a player or goalkeeper receives his third instigator penalty in one Regular season, he is automatically given a game misconduct following that third violation.

A player or goalkeeper who is deemed to be both the instigator and aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, a ten-minute misconduct (instigator) and a game misconduct penalty (aggressor).
Where the foulke was the penalty last night in the 1st period with about 1:45 or so to go last night ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:11 PM
GoRatsGo
Heffalump Country

vCash: 1100
Hello Predators fans!!

I was in Nashville over the weekend to visit some family and I decided to make the trek to the Sommet Center to see the Preds vs. Wild game. Though the outcome is not what you wanted it to be (mostly because of the horrific calls by the refs), I have some very good things to say about your team and your fan base.

One thing that I believe the Panthers have been lacking for a while is the will to stand up for their players after dirty hits or even just engaging in fights to show the other team that you have some cajones. Your team has that to an extreme degree now. Though Belak probably didn't win his fight against Boogard, he definitely did when the Panthers played the Wild a while back, so don't worry about his toughness and ability to stand up with the big guys around the league. Last night was a great display of your team toughness and to tell you the truth, I LOVED it!!

As for the fans, I was blown away from the announcement of the starting lineups. Everyone is into the game and it creates a great atmosphere. Though the building might not fill up all the time, the fans that do come I can tell are very loyal and support their Preds day in and day out. It was a refreshing change from the quiet crowds at the BankAtlantic Center.

I also spoke with a few Preds fans before the game during the pre-skate and they were very welcoming, so I would like to thank them for that.

GoRatsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Where the foulke was the penalty last night in the 1st period with about 1:45 or so to go last night ?
You are referring to Reitz dropping his gloves. It happened in the third period too, but both times the referees simply let them pick'em up and skate away without a call. It would fall under a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct though...not instigating.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The outcome of this game was determined by one single penalty - the roughing minor on Weber.

PLEASE get Legwand out of the face-off circle. He's the worst face-off man... on the team.

We dick around with the puck entirely too much to be effective against the trap. A well-designed positional offensive system, good stick-handling and puck control forwards, and at least two solid puck-moving defensemen are needed to break the trap. We really only have one good puck-mover, and that's Suter. Weber, Hamhuis, and Koistinen are average, and Zanon and De Vries suck at it. Acquiring another puck-mover and a solid stick-handling forward will give us a much better matchup against Minnesota.

Nice job by Man Who Play With Stone-ed Hand (Smithson, or at least that's who I thought it was) to completely miss the net on the short-handed rush that led to the second goal. Cannot emphasize it enough after that incident that you MUST GET YOUR SHOTS ON NET, even if it's just a low shot that hops off the pads. It has a better chance of going in than aiming for the corners Zidlicky-style.

Third goal was a combination of a defensive breakdown (believe it was Erat that left his man open, who then crashed the net) and some nice tic-tac-toe puck movement by the Wild.
a few disagreements on these points..

1) while i see what you're saying on the weber penalty, a guy sticking up for his teammate isn't a bad penalty, especially early in the game.. the backbreaker was the gfollow on suter penalty that handed them the 5 on 3.

2)legwand won 8 of 14 last night and was good in the faceoff circle. better than fiddler or nichol last night.. add in his clean faceoff win back to koistitnen on the pp was the direct cause of our one pp goal.

3)having "two puck moving forwards" paired together is generally a good recipe for disaster.

4)smithson wasn't on ice for that pk... that was fiddler on the left wing that missed the net and handed them the odd man rush back the other way.. and nichol on the right wing that overcommited into the 3 on 2 to the rush on the pk

5)the "third goal" you mention was really their fourth goal and the only even strength goal, the goal that basically broke our back.. that man (koivu) that broke down the slot should have been arnott's man, have no idea where he was.. erat compunded the mistake by not picking him up and basically ignoring an open guy in the slot

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
a few disagreements on these points..

1) while i see what you're saying on the weber penalty, a guy sticking up for his teammate isn't a bad penalty, especially early in the game.. the backbreaker was the gfollow on suter penalty that handed them the 5 on 3.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting Weber. I didn't understand why Hasenfratz called the roughing penalty to begin with. Stuff like that happens a lot and I rarely, if ever, see a penalty called for an event that starts a fight.

Quote:
2)legwand won 8 of 14 last night and was good in the faceoff circle. better than fiddler or nichol last night.. add in his clean faceoff win back to koistitnen on the pp was the direct cause of our one pp goal.
Bonk won fewer face-offs because he took fewer face-offs, and he was 7-1 in his 8 draws. Nichol was, admittedly, brutal in the circle last night. He got dominated by Koivu.
Legwand won two face-offs against Pouliot (Minnesota's version of Smithson) who has been worse than Legwand has in the circle this year, and one against Vellieux (the only face-off he took all night). Take out those three and he wins 5 of 11, 45%. Take out his draws against Bouchard (another non-regular on face-offs), and he's still 5-5, which is decent but not where we need him to be on the dot.

Quote:
3)having "two puck moving forwards" paired together is generally a good recipe for disaster.
I didn't mean having the puck-movers paired together. Hamhuis is an average puck-mover and we need someone that can play alongside him and move the puck well while not being a defensive liability.

Quote:
4)smithson wasn't on ice for that pk... that was fiddler on the left wing that missed the net and handed them the odd man rush back the other way.. and nichol on the right wing that overcommited into the 3 on 2 to the rush on the pk
I haven't watched the highlights yet, but I heard someone behind me scream "Smithson!" so I went with it.

Old
11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting Weber. I didn't understand why Hasenfratz called the roughing penalty to begin with. Stuff like that happens a lot and I rarely, if ever, see a penalty called for an event that starts a fight.
You know to be honest...I was happy that Weber got only a roughing minor initially because I felt he could've gotten an instigator - which carries with it an automatic 10-minute misconduct. So I kinda felt we got the break there. I was even OK, yet still livid, that they didn't call Weller for his late hit on Suter that started everything, but I was willing to work with it.

The problem for me comes with the unsportsmanlike call. The refs knew they screwed up on the initial icing call (back linesman waved it off when it struck his partner (which I don't understand why it would have negated the icing when the puck still carried all the way past the goal line), but the near linesman had his back turned and blew the whistle) and Suter was furious because Weller fully intended on hitting him there whether or not it was going to be an icing call.

Now Weber stands up for Suter by fighting Weller and the penalties are handed out...the crowd reacts appropriately and Suter is on the bench obviously verbally attacking the referee for not calling him getting hit on the initial icing call. I have no problem with that, he was not standing up, was not banging his stick to create a commotion, didn't slam the bench door, didn't toss anything over the boards...nothing that I could tell to publicly embarass the referee. The only people that could probably hear what Suter was saying were his teammates on the bench, the players on the ice, and probably some of the Minnesota bench as well. Unless Suter got extremely over-the-top personal with the official, I have a problem with the referee calling a minor for unsportsmanlike there and putting a team down two men for a full 2:00 when you know you just did something controversal to begin the whole mess.

Bottom line for me though last night was that despite the performance of the officials that left much to be desired at the NHL level, the Predators as a team did not come out ready to play a style of hockey that can beat Minnesota. They were not willing to play a team game for a full 60 minutes and too often in the first six minutes alone we saw players try to beat the Minnesota defense by themselves with the puck instead of passing to an open teammate or chipping the puck in deep behind the defense to create a battle for the puck. We simply did not look ready from the opening puck drop to play against the Wild.

And before you blame the coaching staff for not being ready, please realize that communication is a two-way street. The players have to be willing to listen and then actually implement the game plan for it to work. That was where the breakdown was IMO, you saw each line show flashes of team play, but far too often it broke down into that individual hockey that the Wild love to take advantage of.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:00 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
How much did Liarpold pay off the officials?

I don't buy that crap about the officials waving off icing. Someone blew the whistle when Suter touched the puck so one of the linesmen never waved off icing. That's just an excuse to cover their ass. The linesman that did call icing should have told the ref that he called icing not knowing the other linesman waved it off so the roughing on Weber shouldn't have been called, since it was the linesman's fault for blowing the play dead and the Wild player hitting Suter on an icing call that led to Weber sticking up for his teammate. The officials huddle up to call a delay of game penalty so on something like this, they should be talking to get everything straight.

And twice a MIN player dropped his gloves and stick, obviously to fight, while the Preds player just backed away. It is a penalty. It is clearly written in the rule book as shown above. But the refs just watch and do nothing, and then lecture our players!

And there should have been a penalty with Tootoo's 4 mins. Now I only saw one replay but it looked to me like Tootoo was already at the boards when Harding kicked his legs out and flopped backwards. If it was interference, fine, but like I said I only saw it once. Now, he started pushing and shoving with another MIN player and then Harding came over top and pulled Tootoo off and started shoving with him. Somewhere, at least one of those two MIN players should have had a penalty. It was close to being a third man in for the goalie.

Having said all that, our PK played like ****. Ellis was not sharp. A lot of our shots looked like they just went into the stomach of Harding. After we were down 2-0 I didn't see the intensity we should have had. I loved Belak taking on Boogaard (he's bigger than some NFL players!). I don't care if Belak lost that fight, Boogaard is 3 inches and 30 pounds bigger than him, I give Belak credit for getting shots in and hanging with him.

Why did they split Suter/Weber on the PP? I'm not a fan of VK/Weber pair. It seems like everytime Weber does score on the PP it's with Suter passing to him.

Tired of losing at home. In our last 3 home games we've been outscored 11-3.

Can we please play Klein. How come VK gets to overcome mistakes with in-game lessons but Klein gets to overcome mistakes with a month of practice?

Legwand F/O: A faceoff win is a faceoff win. Breaking it down about whether a player is a regular FO guy or not is just looking for something to complain about. But if you're going to do that then also include the situation (ES, PP, PK), offensive or defensive zone, the period, who else is on the ice, did anyone get thrown out of the dot first. It's like saying all his secondary assists don't count because anyone can tip a pass or flub something to get a secondary assist. You could do the same for every player on every team.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote